I, Robot

I, Robot

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  577 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Takes a look at a future when robots assist humans in their daily lives. How does this technology impact a person's feeling of self-worth? What if different countries have different ethics for what robots may or may not do?
Published 2005 by Feedbooks

To ask other readers questions about I, Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Robot

KristenR
I want to like Cory Doctorow. Really, I do. But at the end of everything I read by him I feel kind of let down. I can't pinpoint why, and so I keep reading his books and stories hoping that something will change *sigh*
Jonatron
A weird mash-up of 1984 and Asimov.

Copyright and intellectual property is 100% bad and leads to oppressive police states. The three laws of robotics are just handicaps, and without them, hyper-intelligent super-fast super-strong robots will cooperate with us and serve us, purely out of the goodness of their hearts. Eurasia is a utopia with no crime and highly advanced technology, apparently just because of their disregard for the idea of intellectual property?

Pretty weird and simplistic.
Owen
I was somewhat dissappointed with this short story which I found reconstituted cliches from ficticious future worlds. Maybe it's the genre that disappoints me, or maybe I expected more from Doctorow than Gibson lite. I appreciated his attempts to reference copyright issues but it was muddied with irrelevant ethical problems he didn't fully resolve.
Pamela
I do love stories about the future of humanity specially those that involves robots. I did like the plot which advocate some romance, failure, optimism and adventure by the characters.
Arturo and Ada, Dad and daugther. Natalie the missing mother.

I like the idea of a responsable father and a mother who abandons her daugther and marriage since is not the common plot, however the reasons at the end are really emotive, a mother protecting her family.

There as a real curious the idea of using CAFTA reg...more
Sue CCCP
I reviewed this short story as part of the anthology Robots: The Recent A.I. Full review of that volume at http://coffeecookiesandchilipeppers.b...

Arturo is a Police Detective living in urban Toronto. He has a rebellious teenage daughter, Ada, and a robotics genius ex-wife who defected to the Eurasians several years ago. He tries to do his job, but hates all the technology that he has to deal with. Sure, it is helpful in tracing Ada as she skips out of school, but he resents the ‘Big Brother’ at...more
Zee
This was an ebook I picked up through the moonreader app on my phone. I've not read any Cory Doctorow before, so it was surprising to discover he is a science-fiction writer (I somehow had him down as something else!)

This is NOT the Asimov version that was made into a film, but rather plays along those themes. The plot revolves around one hard-boiled detective that hates the technology he is forced to work with, his troublesome daughter and his techno-genius wife who once worked for the American...more
Aubrey
[note on shelving: This book is more 'future urban sci-fi' than urban fantasy, but since I have combined sci-fi / fantasy into one category anyway, I figured it fits for the moment.]

Quick pace, fast read. Although the characters didn't seem to have a lot of multi-dimensional growth, they were very vivid and well developed in the context of this short story.

It was interesting to see a vision of the future where everyone can be tracked at all times, through cell phones, locator-robots, and shoppin...more
Swapna Sindhu Mishra
The book was a nice short story. I just liked it. But there was no specialty to be found in the book.
Jakub
Solid science fiction shortie - everything that's needed is there. Anti-DRM propaganda gets a bit boring, but you knew what you're doing, picking up Cory Doctorow's book, didn't you? :) There's something missing from the story, as it seems a bit unframed - perhaps the open ending is the deciding factor. I don't usually have a problem with those, yet here it kind of allowed story to become more and more bland, closer to the end. Oh well, not every book has to be perfect. I enjoyed reading this on...more
Susan
I think I should've reread Asimov's I, Robot before reading Doctorow's. I vaguely remembered the 3 laws (which was essential to understanding this), but not much else. I enjoyed this, but didn't think it was up to Doctorow's usual standards. For example, there were issues raised that would've been good to explore but instead were only hinted at. I think I might've liked it better as a longer work: as it is, it's barely a novella, perhaps really a short story. If I try to judge it as a short stor...more
Sam
I read the e-book version of this book. I thought this was the book that was turned into the movie but I did not realize that this wasn't it the one that was turned into the move was written by Isaac Asimov. When I finished it I was like "That was nothing like the movie." I feel so dumb. -_-

This e-book really sucked some serious ass. It was not really worth the time I read it at all, it was a really pointless story. I don't recommend that anyone read it, unless you like crappy books in that caus...more
Neil
A great little story, with bits of Asimov (obviously?) and 1984 mixed in with a Toronto-centric setting that resonates with familiar names. Set in a not-too distant dystopian future, a robot-plagued cop, his Trouble-some daughter, and the friendly fellow from Social Harmony defend the UNATS-ian way against Eurasians, Oceanics, and robots. It seems everything in UNATS is run with positronic brains based on Asimovs Three Laws of Robotics. But not in Eurasia...
Tiffany
His work starts out promising but the unlikely, predictable, neat, tidy endings bother me...
Peter
A truly inspired homage to a classic science fiction novel. Doctorow has fun riffing on Brave New World, 1984, and the Asimov classic in this neat twist on robot futurology largely set in Toronto. Nicely done and done with that awe inspiring technological confidence SF writers sometimes have imaginging how the world might evolve, this despite the fact that there is a good dose of dystopian speculation wrapped up in an intriguing idea.
Chandler
This story is exactly what I would model my short stories after. I read this short story after reading 20,000 leagues under the sea and was I in for some fun. I was so drained from pushing through 20,000 leagues that I wanted something to jolt my attention span for reading. Thank the Lord I found the exact one. Bends and twists at every turn. Delivered exactly what I wanted in a small concentrated dose.
Brian
A Hugo nominee that's got everything you could ask for - except the novel length version :-)

Humour, believable logical tech, interesting characters and an ending with a twist. The best part of the very good Overclocked  Stories of the Future Present by Cory Doctorow
Mykl
Short story that takes a look at a future where robots assist people in their jobs/life. Questions of what impact does this have on a persons utlility and self-image. What impact on being able to clone oneself have on relationships. A look at the fearful impact if different governments have different thoughts/values on what robots may or may not do ethically.
An Odd1
Jul 06, 2012 An Odd1 marked it as to-read
Downloaded along with "I, Robot", "I,Row-boat", "After the Siege", with same book cover as "Over Clocked" from http://www.feedbooks.com/book/337. I liked "Clockwork Fagin" and "Little Brother", so look forward to exercising my new Kobo. For new owner, Kobo has also offered a free book a month, buried among excess eMails, may be rescue-able.
Mike
This was an extremely well written short story that kept me interested the entire time. I actually read it in about 20 minutes at work and almost got introuble because I couldn't stop. The dark humor between father and daughter was very funny, and there were many details that were finely summed up in the last page or so. Very good story.
Elle
Sep 09, 2011 Elle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Once I got started into this great little book I really enjoyed it. The start didn't capture me right away and at first I have to admit that the main character really annoyed me but once we met a wider network of characters, it came together.

Such a brilliant portrayal of a vibrant world in such a short story.
Hayesy
I thought I robot was good, but not great. I give it 3.5 stars. The writing towards the end is rather good, but was ruined by the Nat clones (you'll understand when you read the book) and the rather boring beginning. Still, I think this writer has plenty of potential, which I hope he uses.
Karina
This was a fun short story mixing elememts from such favorites as Orwell's 1984 and Asimov's robot stories. Just one nugget: that there is no crime on Eurasia - that I find hard to believe.

Read this on my phone, from feedbooks catalog.
Gavin Chin
It's a simple and rather heartwarming book. Good to read if you just want to be relaxed and not think much. Aside from that it's not a very complicated book. Not much else to say. I'd recommend it because it's so short.
Ken
Short story, somewhat 1984-ish. Oppressive society controlling/spying on it's citizens, preventing development of advanced robotics while other world powers advance and thrive using those technologies.
Joe
Futuristic urban sci-fi. This reads like a graphic novel, but I got caught up in the stampede and the storyline. This is my first Doctorow book and merits another read through. It won’t be my last.
Khaled
Short and sweet futuristic sci fi involving robots, ethics, humans, and all.
Barbara
Playful story of a future US in which copy protection and Asimov's 3 laws of robotics suppress progress across the board and the US is at war with Eurasia, which has none of these "protections".
Serban
Another fast read. If you're holding back from reading the book because of the movie with the same name, don't; the book is so much better than the movie it's not even funny.
Michael Greenwell
The Doctorow short has its compelling elements, but doesn't delve into the troubling implications of the society it outlines to be viewed as anything other than a light diversion.
Stephen
This short story was an update to Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot". The short story takes into account the state of the world of science and development from a more current time.
  • Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles, #1)
  • A Light In The Dark
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Burn
  • Bedlam Boyz (Bedlam's Bard, #3)
  • Uller Uprising
  • The Eyes Have It
  • The Wandering Earth
  • Snow White and the Seven Samurai
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • Metropolis
  • The Dark Age (Survivors of the Pulse, #2)
  • Planet of the Damned
  • Postsingular
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Bonds of Fire
  • Youth
Canadian blogger, journalist and science fiction author who serves as co-editor of the blog Boing Boing.

He is an activist in favor of liberalizing copyright laws and a proponent of the Creative Commons organization, using some of their licenses for his books.

Some common themes of his work include digital rights management, file sharing, Disney, and post-scarcity economics.

More about Cory Doctorow...
Little Brother (Little Brother, #1) Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom For the Win Makers Homeland (Little Brother, #2)