Start by marking “Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)

Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia #5)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  3,290 ratings  ·  96 reviews

With devoted fans across the country, Miss Julia, that endearingly sharp-tongued southern belle of a certain age, has no shortage of admirers. But in Miss Julia Meets Her Match, our feisty heroine must come to terms with her most ardent admirer of all: longtime beau Sam Murdoch, who wants to tie the knot. While it’s hard to resist Sam’s charm, Miss Julia isn't about to giv

Published March 1st 2005 by Penguin Books (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia Meets Her Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia Meets Her Match

Dawn Branch
The adventures of Miss Julia is captured by Ann B. Ross in this popular series. While this is not high literature, I thoroughly enjoy the situations that Miss Julia finds herself in. She is like a madcap Angela Lansbury careening through her small southern town trying to please everyone while dealing with her many personal crazy friends and relations. These are hilarious and often you can't put them down. I don't know why they never made this into a comedy series.
Joelle Anthony
Not my favourite in the series, but a fun read. The religion and small town gossip thread got to me after a while. I lived in the South and I live in a small town, so I understand how important/detrimental it can be, but it's not a lot to build a whole book on. The previous one Miss Julia Hits the Road and number one were much more fun. Still, this did have one of the best lines ever to end the book with. Loved it!
Kristen
A truly irascible southern woman! I like the Miss Julia series of books for the humor and audacity of the main character, Miss Julia Springer. She goes to great lengths to solve everyone's problems while maintaining her desire not to be involved. In this book, Miss Julia's beau, Sam, is not to be put off when it comes to marriage, slanderous gossip abounds about the preacher's wife when she begins to wear make-up and flirt with a wealthy out of towner, and someone has spotted the preacher's secr ...more
Dorothy Timm
I gave this book only two stars not because it was bad, it wasn't that bad, but it just wasn't at all what I expected. I expect someone to die in cozy mysteries, with the balance being on solving the "who-done-it" with some frivolity thrown in. Unfortunately, though, this book was entirely about small town church gossip of who had an affair with whom. Just not for me!
Laura Gilfillan
In this one, Julia sells a parcel of land to be developed as a Walk Where Jesus Walked theme park, and then regrets it. More scandal about her late husband arises, which she tries to protect Hazel Marie, and Lloyd from, and meanwhile, gossip flies around the town, and nearly everyone is involved in some of it. Her close friend's son comes back to town as a daughter, and the pastor's wife explores a bit of fashion, much to his dismay. It's sort of a lot of ado about nothing, but quite amusing. An ...more
Chris Inman
Miss Julia is a character I have really come to love and cherish. She is set in her ways, somewhat cranky, yet her many adventures are a delight to read. Miss Julia has lived her life a certain way defined by what her church and husband strong-armed her into for over forty years, so it is perfectly understandable that she would be hesitant before pursing a relationship with Sam. I think this book (so far) has been my favorite book in the Miss Julia series. Not only for her agonizing about a marr ...more
Qianna
This little old lady is such a busy body she cracks me up & I am glad she finally found love ( Sam is her Beau) This is a sequel so if you haven't read any of books by Ann B. Ross I would suggest starting from the beginning.
Debra
I was laughing heartily at the end - the climax was wonderful! It was fun getting reacquainted with the characters and learning more about them. And the ending was delightful!
Donna LaValley
In #5, Miss Julia hems and haws (with some idiocy) over Sam’s marriage proposals. He’s been faithfully courting her from book #1. There are subplots galore with the series’ many interesting characters, and gossip, a theme that presents in all the volumes, causes problems. Uncharacteristically, Miss Julia impulsively leases her land to a Holy Land Theme Park developer without consulting her attorney, which, based on previous information, seemed out of character despite the explanation later on. T ...more
Virma
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
Patty
Miss Julia is at it again, battling with her Pastor, fighting the gossip mill in her small town North Carolina and working to keep her non-traditional "family" safe and happy.

I loved the whole gender change issue as it was handled here, the world's best advice was just come out and hold your head up high, ignore the gossip and eventually it will go away.

Of course, Miss Julia has to keep some of her problems to herself so that eventually Mr. Sam can come to the rescue. Sometimes that irritates me
Minervaking
I enjoyed "meeting" Miss Julia in this book. She is proper, but funny and I would like to read more of these entertaining stories.
K
Feb 15, 2008 K rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
in her latest outing, Miss Julia hears a rumor that another one of her husband's paramours is in town. She'd like to keep this quiet, and fortunately the people of Abbotsville have plenty else to gossip about. There's the transformation of Tony Allen into Tonya, and church secretary Norma's relationship with Mayor Beebe, and the construction of the dubious Walk Where Jesus Walked theme park outside of town. To Miss Julia's chagrin, there's also talk about her friendship with Sam, who keeps press ...more
Katrina
Heather
i love these books the quint southern lady is so funny. and the antics she goes through with each book. i wush i had a heart as big as hers.
Mary
I love the characters in this series.
Anita
Gotta love Sam :-)
Julie Baker
I just really enjoy these books. They don't challenge me - rather, they just entertain me. This one was particularly funny, with the introduction of LaTisha and the tent revival - laugh out loud funny.
A fun read.
Peggy Sinden
This book of the Miss Julia series has a little bit of everything. Gossip can take on every demention from who's wearing what to who's sleeping with who and as the song goes, whose car is parked next door. You can bring in a bit of religion and sprinkle it with a change of gender from Tony to Tonya. Miss Julia pockets them all and come out on top by going off with the love of her life at the end. Lots of laughs in this one. Can't wait for the next book in line I'm sure Miss Julia won't let me do ...more
Rubye Harrison
Had never heard of this author; but read Miss Julia Meets Her Match, nearly fell out of my chair laughing at the situations Miss Julia gets into. Loved this book, then had to download onto my Nook: Miss Julia Hits the Road,Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Takes Over. Have read these 4 of Ann B. Ross's books, and can't wait to download many, many more.

8/2013--Have now read all of her books to-date; and dearly loved all of them. Anxiously awaiting Ms. Ross's next book.
Loraine
Another great book about Miss Julia. I think I will probably read the entire series. It might take a while, because I tend to go through phases, where I am drawn to different genres at different times. But, when I need a lighthearted and down to earth, humorous change of pace, I will pick up another Miss Julia escapade. I would love to be her friend and live in her town. It seems like fun. It helps me to look around at my town to find the joy and fun here, too.
Barbara
I love all of the Miss Julia books,but this one was especially enjoyable. The entire story revolves around relationships and the hazards and repercussions of gossip. Altho Miss Julia claims to be above gossip but uses it to protect herself when gossip about her is spread. This story is non-stop hilarious. We also see that Sam, a friend and would be courter, has not given up on getting Miss Julia to marry him.
Lisa
Another great suspense and romance story, with many tangled webs woven! Latisha is a great addition to the story, and Emma Sue and Norma, as well as Mildred get some interesting character developments!
It will be interesting to see if Tonya returns in later books. And the grand finale only leads to many more questions for the next novel - which thankfully I have in hand already!
Shelley
This was a cute book and I really enjoyed it. I read it over Spring Holiday and it was a great holiday book. It was easy to put down and pick up and was a quick read. Miss Julia is back and still trying to clean up the mess her dead husband left with his secret life. She is just too precious and reminds me of some older southern ladies I have known my whole life.
Laura Beth
another delightful Julia novel. I did fell more stressed reading this one so kuddos to Ross or maybe I was just more stressed and could relate ;) Either way, well done. Julia is nothing but funny. Never perfect, but usually well-intentioned, she makes for a hilarious storyline, with wit, charm, and haughtiness all to boot. I'm sure I'll read the next one soon!
I really like the Miss Julia books and her character. All the books in this series seem to have too many similar stories and antics which makes it hard to tell the difference between each book. As I read the book I kept thinking I would not read anymore from this series. By the final chapter I decided To read another one if the books in this series.
Lynn
I was pleasantly surprised by the end of this book. I really did enjoy it, though I didn't believe the characterization to be quite as complex as I'd prefer, it was enjoyable. I wouldn't hesitate to read the others in this series when I need a quick "relationship" read, though I doubt I'll purposefully seek them out... An intriguing story line.
Peggy
Miss Julia never fails to amuse. This time,a theme park (Walk Where Jesus Walked) is being built on her land and the town seems to have an epidemic of cheating spouses, or it just the gossip-mongers wrecking havic? Leave it to Miss Julia to find herself in the middle of several messes.
Mez
It's really hilarious to be reading a book set in a small southern town, while I'm spending a week in a small southern town. Also, it's personally hilarious that so much action swirls around the local Presbyterian church. This author is so clever...
Sandy
The 5th in the series, I found this one as entertaining as the first one. I thought #4 was a bit of a disappointment, so it was nice to have the characters and action back to what I've come to expect from this humorous series.
  • Just Shy of Harmony (Harmony, #2)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Slow Down, You're Wearing Us Out! (Dearest Dorothy, #2)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • Sleeping at the Starlite Motel: and Other Adventures on the Way Back Home
  • Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill
  • Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery, #7)
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...
Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1) Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2) Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4) Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3) Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)

“I am a Christian, you know, Julia.'
So am I. But I'm not above staying out of jail any way I can.”
3 likes