Start by marking “This Wicked World: A Novel” as Want to Read:
This Wicked World: A Novel

This Wicked World: A Novel

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Elmore Leonard meets Denis Johnson in this explosive first novel set on the seedy side of Southern California.

Ex-marine Jimmy Boone-former bodyguard to Los Angeles's rich and famous-is fresh out of Corcoran, on parole, and trying to keep his nose clean until he figures out his next move. He has a job tending bar on Hollywood Boulevard, serving drinks to tourists, and is de
Published June 30th 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about This Wicked World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Wicked World

James Thane
Jimmy Boone is an ex-Marine and an ex-con who made a mistake and paid the price, although it takes a while for the reader to learn exactly what the mistake was. Now he's out on parole, checking in with his P.O. and trying to stay out of trouble. To support himself, he's managing a small apartment complex and tending bar on Hollywood Boulevard.

One night Robo, the bouncer at the bar, asks Jimmy to help him with a small problem. Robo does favors for people and is meeting with the grandfather of an
Lange, Richard. THIS WICKED WORLD. (2009). ****. This is the author’s first novel, after a previously published book of short stories, “Dead Boys.” His first book was highly acclaimed and won the Rosenthal Family Foundation Award from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Prepublication buzz on this book has also been heavy, with lots of rave reviews. The novel tells the story of Jimmy Boone, a former bodyguard now on parole from a four year stint in prison for beating up on a man he should ...more
Patrick O'Neil
It's hard to write a mystery novel these days. The idea of a private detective in 2009 looking for a client's lost loved one being so obscure and unbelievable that I'd immediately dismiss it as the writer being out of touch with reality. It's just not 1940 and tough guys like Philip Marlowe aren't running around drinking hard and chasing dames and getting in the way of flat foot cops. At best private security firms do Internet background checks, surveillance, corporate espionage, and occasionall ...more
Richard Lange’s debut novel is character driven literary crime novel influenced by Elmore Leonard and George Pelecanos. Like those two masters’ originality and complexity of plot isn’t the name of the game, its characters. Stretching out to handle a novel Lange looses some of the focus of his short stories but retains his grasp on L.A. and its surreal surroundings and his subtle sense of humor. Some descriptions and in some character’s background his imagination really unfurls. The pit bull bree ...more
I was mildly surprised that I liked this book as much as I did. I had picked it up for no particular reason. It was a pretty solid thriller. Protagonist Jimmy Boone, former con, former Marine, and current bartender was a very likable character. Boone saves a dog from a dying kid in which Dog was badly mistreated. Boone sets out to find out what happened to Dog's former owner Oscar for himself and also Oscar's Grandfather. Boone finds himself in an almost relationship with one of his neighbors, n ...more
A story of redemption with many pauses and detours. Fast paced, riveting read. Author skillfully takes disparate and ordinary individuals and brings them together in a violent but satisfying finale. Boone, the protagonist, is a noble and selfless character who even when he does the right thing seems to suffer adverse consequences- but still he soldiers on and you, the reader, just want good things to happen for him.
Ross Cumming
Had never heard of Richard Lange before until I got this novel from my son who was reading one of Lange's other novels 'Angel Baby' at the same time.
Jimmy Boone is an ex-marine, ex-bodyguard and also an ex-con, who also happens to still be on parole. He's working bar at The Tick Tock when he is coerced into helping Robo, the bouncer at the bar, who is doing some PI work for the family of a Guatemalan illegal who died from infected dog bites. Robo only gets so far with the investigation when he d
Wow. I read most of this in one sitting. While Jimmy Boone is probably not everyones idea of hero - he does all the wrong things for the right reasons - I thought he was great. His moral compass puts him in very unethical situations, but he definately follows his instincts. I'm hoping this is not the last we see of him.
I told Miguel that I wanted to read more mysteries, to break up the non-fiction I usually read and to make my commute go by faster. I am about 2/3 of the way through this one now and I can't say it's great, or even good, but since it's a mystery I want to see what happens so I'll keep reading. I wouldn't recommend it though.
Richard Lange is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. I loved his short story collection "Dead Boys" and his second book, "Angel Baby." His writing is decent and his characters are always oddly compelling, so I had to backtrack a bit and read his first book, which brings me to this review. The story focuses on Jimmy Boone, an ex Marine and ex con who is hired to find out what happened in the death of a Guatemalan immigrant. In the process of his investigation he uncovers a dogfighting ri ...more
I debated hard on this between a 2 and a 3 star rating. It is fairly well written (at least not in need of an editor and flowed well) and was a compelling enough story. That said, there really aren't any literary merits and there are a few conveniences and just sloppy plot points.

First, the whole Virgil, Boone, Taggart connection was just too convenient. LA is a very big area with lots and lots of people. Boone should not (and plot-wise did not need to) run into Virgil prior to meeting him out
This is another book that was written by someone I was unfamiliar with but picked up at the library on the basis of a good review. I found Richard Lange's writing very similar to T. Jefferson Parker's who I think is very good. Both writ a gritty, realistic crime stories with interesting characters. This Wicked World, Like most of Parker's books takes place in southern California and is dead accurate in capturing the atmosphere and locations of the cties and desert areas there.
This Wicked World's
Jan 16, 2013 Ice added it
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Interesting first novel by a very talented writer. As with so many mysteries, the scenery tends to creak at times. This was jarringly evident in this book. Main charater Jimmy Boone holds up a bar and beats and humiliates the owner AFTER showing the guy behind the bar his ID. Then he doesn’t give it a second thought, not worrying that one of the guys might remember his name and address and come to find him to even the score. It was only a minor part of the plot to Lange, so he drops it like it d ...more
This promising novel started off strongly and then fizzled out - fizzle fizzle fizzle - and you realized you were reading the cliche-d script for a cliche-d movie set in a cliche-d LA about cliche-d LA. Yawn. I am only surprised the critics bought into this flimsy suspense yarn populated by implausible characters with an amazing capacity to bleed.
Tyler Nals
This is one of those situations where I enjoyed the book a lot more than most people, but as I have learned as a writer, it's impossible to please all of the people all of the time. So, Mr. Lange, thanks for an entertaining read. It was right down my alley.
I bought this from Alibris, my usual used book seller because I had just read the rave reviews for Mr. Lange's new book Angel Baby and as is my modus operandi (with music as well) I decided to go back in his catalog and see how his style started off and developed.
This Wicked World is a slightly off-forumulaic LA crime novel. Fallen good-guy does the right thing, offends and partially loses the good girl while roaming through the LA barrio, the High Desert and the bars and streets of LA. The wri
Kristi Bumpus
This mystery was fine, graphic/gory/violent in places. Characters were not particularly sympathetic. Plot line revolved partially around dog fighting, with an innovative premise. Not a bad read, if you can stomach it.
Ben Brackett
This isn't a terrible book, but extremely disappointing in how none of the style or tone from Lange's short stories is present here. Basically, its a very mediocre and un-noteworthy novel.
I really enjoyed this book. It was a mystery with a little bit of a film noir feel. I liked that the main character had flaws but was trying to do the right thing. The ending was good as well - not too predictable or sugary-sweet.
The story starts out interesting, but fizzles out in the end.
This was a pretty good crime novel. Kind of along the lines of an Elmore Leonard. I sought it out after reading Dead Boys and this captured some of the best of his short stories. Guys putting themselves in trouble and working to get out.
This book was definitely a page-turner and good for the airport/beach but ultimately not a "great" book. The characters were sort of cliche'd and the plot a little predictable, but that might just be me. I also had to force myself to keep reading through certain portions of the book; never a good sign. However, "This Wicked World" is a great start for the author's first full-length novel and I would definitely be interested in reading future novels by Richard Lange.
Jul 31, 2011 Jimmie added it
Shelves: los-angeles
I'm not going to assign this book a star rating because I don't know that I can be fair. I didn't enjoy this book as much as I'd hoped, but that's mostly my fault. I shouldn't have started reading it right before I was set to start looking at apartments. It took me over a month to finish, what with apartment-hunting, work, packing, moving, unpacking.

I'm going to read his other book, "Dead Boys," soon, and based on how that goes, I might consider re-reading this one.
Given its good reviews, I was a little disappointed in This Wicked World. Every so often a really talented writer peeks out of World, but most often we are given solid, above-average detective fiction that seeks to stay gritty but can't. One senses that Lange is too eager to please conventional crime-writing sensibilities. I'll definitely give his next novel the once-over on the shelves; there's good writing in Lange.
This doesn't stand up to Lange's collection, Dead Boys, but it's a solid crime novel. The characters are really well written - both "good" guys and "bad" - but at times the action gets a bit too Hollywood-y for my taste. A fun, entertaining read, nonetheless.

I saw that Lange has new novel forthcoming later this year (or early next) so I'll be sure to read it when it comes out.
This is a story about Jimmy Boone - He is an ex con trying to get back on his feet. He was a body guard to the rich and famous making lots of money before he went to prison. Now he works in a bar and manages an apartment complex. He gets involved with a group of really bad characters when a friend asks him to look into a death from infected dog bites....I loved the characters.
I wish I would have read this book first. I would have been more prepared for his writing style, plot and characters when i read his second book. More down and out good guys and bad guys. Drugs, guns and money. I did like this book more and if you are going to try this author-read this book first.
The story was compelling but the nearly 20 pages of vivid detailed dog fighting and animal abuse were too much Not to mention the female characters were vapid and no way in hell she 180s like that at the end. Story was good just too many things to detract from getting more stars
  • The Ones You Do
  • The Burnt Orange Heresy
  • West Coast Blues
  • Dead Calm
  • I Was Dora Suarez
  • Last Days
  • Eye of the Cricket (Lew Griffin, #4)
  • Noir
  • The Devil's Redhead
  • Istanbul Noir
  • The Cocaine Chronicles
  • Wire to Wire
  • Night Has a Thousand Eyes
Author of Sweet Nothing, Angel Baby, This Wicked World, and Dead Boys.
More about Richard Lange...