Luke on the Loose

Luke on the Loose (Toon Books Level 2)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  42 reviews
“[A] fun romp, a child’s fantasy, and a great little easy-to-read comic that everyone can enjoy.” – Publishers Weekly

Luke looks on at the pigeons in Central Park, while Dad is lost in “boring Daddy talk,” and before you know it – Luke is on the Loose! He’s free as a bird, on a hilarious solo flight through New York City.

Harry Bliss, the renowned illustrator of many bestsel...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Toon Books (first published 2009)

Mary
Luke's dad runs into a friend in Central Park. The two dads talk, and Luke gets bored. So Luke takes off after the pigeons, eventually chasing them all over Manhattan and across the East River into Brooklyn. The comic book is the perfect medium for Luke's zany antics, and the sound effects they entail: EEK! AAAH! YAAAH!

I also like that Luke and his dad are an African American family having a universal experience. Trust me when I say that black kids, and especially black boys, are underrepresente...more
Jeannene Egan
Luke on the Loose by Harry Bliss is a graphic novel. It is a cute story about a boy chasing pigeons while his father talks “grown up talk” with another dad. This book almost seems like a lesson for parents while it shows the adventure of the young boy.
Text to self – Luke in this graphic novel reminds me of a girl I tutor. When her mom and I are talking she will start off by standing with us, but end up running off and doing her own thing. Although it is not as extreme as Luke it reminds me of hi...more
Allie Tinnes
Text-to-Self: This book reminded myself of my younger cousin. She is now older but when she was about 2 and 3 years old, wherever I would take her in public, she thought she could run off and do whatever she wanted. She would get bored and want to explore new things just as Luke did in the book.

Text-to-Text: I do not recall reading another book similar to this. I do remember counseling lessons in elementary school teaching us the importance of not talking to strangers when in public and staying...more
Eva Mitnick
In this graphic novel for beginning readers, Luke gets away from his dad at a park and chases a long-suffering flock of pigeons all over NYC, causing much chaos. It reminds a bit of Once Upon a Banana by Armstrong but is not so madcap. This is fun but the illustrations are a bit flat, given the surreal nature of Luke's adventures (he achieves almost super-human feats of leaping and climbing). Still, a fine offering from the folks at TOON Books.
Kristen
The illustrations in this book are phenomenal and they need to be to show the audience all of the reactions to Luke running loose through the city. The dialogue is simple and the pictures tell more than enough, making it a great graphic novel for younger readers.
Ally Copper
“Luke on the Loose” by Harry Bliss is a Toon Book title about a little boy who is bored listening to his dad talk about boring dad stuff so he begins chasing pigeons. And when Luke begins his pursuit of pigeons, he just doesn’t stop. No one thinks he will go far because he is just a kid, but Luke runs across New York City trying to catch the pigeons. He wreaks havoc as he runs through traffic, past pedestrians, and through a restaurant. This easy-reader will be excellent for pre-kindergarten thr...more
Fjóla
We've been going through a few of those new Toon Books, and they're actually a welcome change from the ancient early readers that we otherwise typically manage to find at the library (as good as Henry and Mudge: The First Book may be). This one is really easy, mostly very basic words, but there's also quite a bit of onomatopoeia. There isn't much to the story: a little boy wanders away from his daddy, chasing pigeons, creating quite the implausible ruckus in the process. It's not terribly creati...more
Betsy
The TOON Book idea was simple. Produce books for early readers in a comic book format, as created by a variety of different author/illustrators. Cat in the Hat with speech bubbles, if you will. The problem? Children's authors often say that novels are easy and picture books are hard. I'd take that one step further. Picture books are hard but easy books are near impossible. To be truly great you have to reinvent the genre. Seuss did. Mo Willems certainly has with his Elephant and Piggie. And unti...more
Ariel
Mar 17, 2014 Ariel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
This is a cute story. I rated it three stars because there was not much story line or words to help the child read. However, this picture book in the form of a graphic novel is unique. Kids will like it for that reason. If a kid is into comic books I would recommend this book since it is in the same style. But I would try and keep it for younger children since there is not much story to it.
Pamela ☼everythings cheesy☼ Tee
"Luke On the Loose" is a cute illustrated book by Harry Bliss. The story has Luke going on a big adventure as he chases birds in the park. He ends up essentially dashing around town, causing funny chaos as he and the birds interrupt diners and engagements and other events.

The artwork is good and kid-friendly, and the story is one that most people will enjoy --regardless of age -- at least once. My son, who's 7, found it amusing, but he didn't really laugh out loud or anything. My daughter, 9, th...more
Tina
We had Harry Bliss visit our library and he read this book to a few of our primary school classes and it was THE BEST! Awesome readaloud! Specially when you get to shout LUUUUUUUUUUKE! Kids love it!
Mrs. Knott
Beginning graphic novel. Kids will enjoy reading the adventures of Luke as he chases after pigeons in the NY City neighborhoods.
Rose
Audience: This book is best for prek-2nd grade. It works well for early readers, the sentences are smaller and easier to read. The book is set up as a comic book which might bring in readers of comics.

Appeal: The book's cover alludes to a mystery or an adventure so that may appeal to children. The book also shows a city and all different places of the city which would interest a child that picks the book up.

Graphic Novel from list provided on Bb
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I really like the idea of TOON books but have largely been disapointed by the ones that I've read so far. This one seemed better than the other two with more humour in the illustrations. In fact, the details of the pictures have a lot of story woven into them, making the text very simple (pages and pages of "YAAAA!"). One of my concerns is that the overall joke of the book of the comarison of child to pet ending with the child on a leash so that he can't chase the pigeons seems more in the adult...more
Becky
The Toon Books are early readers in comic-book format, and this is Harry Bliss's first comic book story. I must say, he does it very well! There are lots of visual jokes in the background for discerning readers, but the main story is simple enough to entertain beginning readers (Luke decides to chase pigeons and ends up running all over NYC). Would be fun to pair with "Knuffle Bunny" just for the location.
Samantha
While his dad is talking to someone at the park, Luke gets distracted by a group of pigeons and chases after them. He's so fast his father loses him immediately and so begins a race through the city, high and low as Luke chases the pigeons and everyone in the city chases Luke. All ends well and Luke's father makes a necessary change to their park routine: a child harness. Recommended for K-2.
Christopher
An interesting yet, for me, a tad overated entry to the graphic novel genre. Reviews for this book made me pick it up but there was really nothing distinctive about it. It does have a tone to it that adults would probably enjoy more than kids. The audience that it is intended for will probably not get many of the jokes and visual gags presented. An O.K. book overall.
Morgan Davis
This easy to read comic strip book is about a boy named Luke that is in Central Park with his dad and starts to daydream. He is imagining himself as a pigeon and then realizes he is flying around New York City. He finds himself across the Brooklyn Bridge, in the sky, and then in a fancy restaurant. This book lets you use your imagination and see how far you take it.
Jessica
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

This is a cute little story about a little boy named Luke who runs after pigeons. He runs and runs after them, forgetting about the rest of the world. This book would appeal to the recommended age group (grades K-2). There are lots of fun and silly illustrations.
Ryan
The blurb says he goes on a "hilarious" trip through New York. The only part I found remotely amusing was the cartoon bubble above the dad's head saying "boring dad talk".
I know it's a kids comic and you have to make them simple. But this one was simply dull. You know it's a bad book if the high light is a girl dropping her ice cream cone.
Aaron
A boy, bored with the grown up conversation of his dad, chases pigeons all across New York City. Pictures a wide variety of people (main character is African American, and also includes Sikh, Jewish, and other characters depicted among the NYC denizens. Funny dialogue and colorful depictions of NYC make for a fun and easy read.
Beth
Luke doesn't want to listen to his dad's boring adult talk. He'd rather chase pigeons through the city. He chaos running across a busy street traffic, interrupting an engagement and storming the Brooklyn Bridge. The firefighters help him get down from the pigeon coop. Consequently Luke is kept on a short lease from that point.
Ai-ling
This is a graphic novel for an early reader. There are very few words in this 32 page, full-color book. Try it with reluctant readers. They will appreciate the slapstick humor. A boy in New York City singlemindedly chases pigeons.
Harry Bliss + TOON Books = awesomeness. I gave it one less star because I just wasn't all that crazy about the conclusion (don't want to spoil it). On the other hand, the squirrel declaring "This kid is nuts!" was hilarious...
Tamara the Librarian
Kids might like this book because of it's comic format. Simple story with little text about a boy who chases pigeons all over the city while the dad searches for him frantically. Onomatopoeia.
Rachel
Nick loves comic books. It was nice to find one he could read himself with minimal assistance. Nick and Zoe both thought the story and pictures were laugh-out-loud funny, worthy of repeat readings.
Shannon
Two stars technically means "it was OK," which is how I felt about Luke on the Loose. Not bad, but not amazing either. I liked the dog and squirrel thinking Luke was crazy, but otherwise, eh.
Barb Keister
Luke's adventure of chasing pigeons in Central Park. My students love the Toon Books website so know this book will be a popular addition to the classroom library.

www.indiebound.org
Emkoshka
Yaah! A cute chasey tale of a boy who follows pigeons flapping their way across New York, leaving chaos in their wake. Enjoyed the cameo appearances by Tintin characters!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready
  • Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Otto's Orange Day (Toon)
  • Stinky
  • The Shark King: Toon Books Level 3
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse
  • Johnny Boo: The Best Little Ghost in the World
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime
  • Fashion Kitty
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • Nursery Rhyme Comics: 50 Timeless Rhymes from 50 Celebrated Cartoonists
Harry Bliss grew up in upstate New York in a family of successful painters and illustrators, so it wasn’t any surprise that he, too, went on to study painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and illustration at the University of the Arts and Syracuse University. He has illustrated numerous book covers and is a cartoonist and cover artist for THE NEW YORKER magazine. In the tradition o...more
More about Harry Bliss...
Bailey Bailey at the Museum Death by Laughter Diary of a Worm Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?