Start by marking “The Big Elephant in the Room” as Want to Read:
The Big Elephant in the Room

The Big Elephant in the Room

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  82 reviews
When one donkey tells his friend that they need to talk about "the big elephant in the room," his friend wonders what this embarrassing issue could possibly be. Is it that fact that he ate all the crunchy nut ice cream? Is it that he picked his friend last for soccer... and baseball, and volleyball? Is it the "going in the pool" incident? Or is it none of those things at a...more
Published July 7th 2009 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Big Elephant in the Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Elephant in the Room

Bri  Ahearn
When I saw a new Lane Smith book had arrived in my store, I jumped for joy. Not literally, because that would scare the customers. Smith's new book, Big Elephant in the Room is good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the classic The True Story of the Three Little Pigs or The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Tales.

The Big Elephant in the Room is the story of two donkey friends. As you can see by the cover, one is portrayed as a geeky donkey, complete with bow tie and glasses. The other is the "cool" fr...more
Thank you Hyperion for my advance copy. Nothing sets me atwitter like the latest and greatest picture book. Lane Smith is pulling another solo act with this picture book and has proved that he doesn't need to have Scieszka to be funny. Two donkeys talk about the elephant in the room, one revealing all of the embarassing things he's done to the other before figuring out that there is in fact a giant elephant in the room. Definitely a funny story fully of donkey angst and per usual illustrations t...more
babyhippoface
I was slow to read this one because I had seen several less-than-stellar reviews for it. But I love Lane Smith, so when I came across it in the library, I picked it up. It made me chuckle, so I took it to my sister, who is a middle school librarian. She laughed her fanny off.

Yes, the donkey is an... well, a donkey. He's a jerk. He's a bad friend, entirely self-centered, and sometimes, a bully. If he was a living, breathing human, I wouldn't like him much. But because he's a character in a book,...more
Marcie
Did I miss something, or was there a political hint in this book about a blue and grey donkey discussing the "elephant in the room"? Maybe I just wanted a political message from Lane Smith, and missed it. I'm not sure how I'd use this one. I'm pretty sure I read it last year and just stuck it on a back burner. Perhaps future reads will find a use for it.
Marcia
Sep 07, 2009 Marcia rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: grades-2-4
I found this to be a mean-spirited picture book. Meant perhaps to humorously introduce the phrase "the elephant in the room", two friends share misunderstandings which become increasingly mean and embarrassing. Yes, there is an elephant in the room, but finding him was no fun at all. I like Lane Smith much better when he is paired with Jon Sciezka.
Dolly
Apr 07, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, humor
Our girls' elementary school librarian read this book to them in each of their respective library times with their class. They loved this book and insisted that I borrow it so I could read it, too. We love Lane Smith's books and especially his illustrations, so I wasn't totally surprised that this book is written by him. I loved the combination of the donkeys and the elephant and as we're in the middle of an election year, it makes this book all the more appropriate. I had to explain the iconic...more
Megan
This book is about two donkeys who are hanging out together when one of them says, "Can we talk about the Big Elephant in the room?" The 2nd donkey then offers up about 25 bad things that he did to his friend, assuming that the Big Elephant was something rude he did. We find out that he is really not such a good friend. And in the end, the 1st donkey says, "No, I'm really talking about the literal Big Elephant in the room" (which there actually is one, but he was in the corner watching t.v., so...more
Emilia
Smith, Lane. The Big Elephant in the Room. New York, NY: Hyperion for Children, 2009.

*Virginia Readers' Choice Award Winner

-This is a story about two friends discussing "the big elephant in the room". One friend thinks it is something that he has done and lists all of the things it could have been. However, it turns out there actually is an elephant in the room

Themes
-idioms
-friendship

Activities to do with children
- Use this book to discuss idioms like "the big elephant in the room"
-Have students...more
Mary
This is a funny book for kids to start to learn the idiomatic phrase "the elephant in the room." It is about friendship, telling the truth, and being good to others, while having the funny ending that the idiom was actually real and that the beans were spilled about all of the other things one friend had done to the other.
Heidi
Another book that seems a little off to be a kids' book. If you're trying to teach them the meaning of the phrase "The Big Elephant," then this book will probably do it. Part of the humor I found was just from recent personal experience with that phrase, so it was interesting to see this book. I wasn't amazed by this book. Especially as I guessed what the ending was. And some of the humor is a little mature for very young kids (though I'm sure they'd enjoy it). And while it could be funny all th...more
carissa
Recommended Ages: K- 2nd grade

When one donkey tells his friend that they need to talk about " the big elephant in the room," his friend wonders what this embarrassing issue could possibly be. Is it that fact that he ate all the crunchy nut ice cream? Is it that he picked his friend last for soccer... and baseball, and volleyball? Is it the " going in the pool" incident? Or is it none of those things at all? With hilarious artwork and clever wordplay, Lane Smith demonstrates just how BIG a proble...more
Amy
The donkey tells his friend they need to talk about the big elephant in the room. The friend wants to know what it is? The baby bike incident? Suspicious pool color incident? Super glue incident? But there is literally an elephant in the room. Teachers can use this in writing - have the students write a story using an idiom such as this or beggars can't be choosers, out of the blue, or best thing since sliced bread. In art, kids could draw pictures of idioms and in general - teachers could creat...more
Kathryn Brewer
The layout of this book is very neat and the illustrations were cool, but the overall story didn't excite me too much.
Danica Midlil
Hope you don't have a friend like this!
Jodie
This is a book written for older readers. The one friend asks about the big elephant in the room and the other friend gives examples of things he has done. It is pretty funny (with some funny pictures, but I would not share this with the younger groups that I work with. A good way to teach about this phrase, but the other friend isn't nice and the examples are mean at times. I know that Lane Smith is on a mission to get more kids reading and he'll be successful especially with some of the sillin...more
Becky
Apr 28, 2011 Becky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-2
Recommended to Becky by: Susan
This must really be the year for elephants! Another fun story from Lane Smith. As the tiny note on the CIP page says, "the 'big elephant in the room' is an expression that describes a big problem or situation that is being ignored -- usually because it is really embarrassing." So if a friend accuses you of ignoring said elephant, you might be unsure which bad thing you recently did would qualify, and you might let all those things pour forth in a guessing game of guilt and embarrassment. This'd...more
Glenna
This is a humorous picture book geared for nursery and primary school children that touches on the topic of misunderstandings. In this book, one character tries to communicate to his friend about a "big elephant in the room", but instead of hearing him out, his friend jumps to all sorts of silly conclusions as to what the "elephant" might be. The clever word play will keep students laughing and attentive as well as display the importance of communication and patience.
Tracy
i thought this was much funnier than it should be. i read it to my niece and my daughter and they both kept their attention on the book. if you read it dramatically, with different voices, it's even funnier and better than you would think. i've read it at least four times now and my daughter tries to read it on her own, but it's even more hilarious when she makes the voices. so, again, mommy does good!
Megan
This is another cute story by Lane Smith. Two donkeys decide they need to talk about the big elephant in the room. One of them lists all of the things he's done that could have possible hurt the other's feelings. In the end, there is really a large elephant in the room. This is where you could talk about another well-known idiom "stick your foot in your mouth." I think kids would find it funny.
Snorkle
This was a humorous book. I liked seeing how the characters responded to each scenario and what it ended up escalating to. The illustrations were wacky and suited the mood of the book. The ending was funny and I enjoyed seeing how miscommunication could make such a crazy story.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Susan
I LOVE the illustrations in this picture book...and the story did make me smile(that's why I gave it three stars. BUT would a young child understand The "Big Elephant" double entendre????? No way! If you are reading picture books for your own enjoyment this is worth a read. If you are reading to young children, don't bother.
J-Lynn
This is an interesting study in misunderstanding and miscommunication because of the use of an idiom. The book would be good to use with second language learners to discuss how idioms and slang expressions are often hard to learn and hard to understand.

The scenarios posed are funny and the cartoon donkeys are cute.
Kim
Cute story, but as far as a VRC nominee for primary grades, I think the humor is going to be a little over the heads of the typical kindergartner and first grader (although the potty-humor-crowd will certainly enjoy the repeated references to the donkey friend who peed his pants).
Lindsey
The question: "Can we talk about the elephant in the room?"launches one donkey into a lengthy list of confessions. What could it be? What problem do they need to talk about, but they try to ignore? A funny look at this expression and a donkey being a jackass.

Miri
I thought it mildly amusing at best, but my three-year-old niece loves it. She's been through it at least ten times now, reading it herself or asking me to read it to her over and over again. Would be a funny way to teach both irony and idiomatic expressions.
Hope
Aug 26, 2009 Hope added it
Shelves: 2009
Love Lane Smith's art. I put off reading this one because I have an unsold manuscript with the same title, but it wasn't the same thing at all. This story felt a bit repetitive and the style wasn't my favorite of his. Still -- admire artists who try new things.
M.
This is rather silly book which means that it made me laugh. I love picture books. This one is meant to help kids learn about the figure of speech "the big elephant in the room" so not only is it entertaining, it's a little educational too.
Luanne Hatcher
Two friends interpret the expression, "a big elephant in the room" differently. I found the story humorous, but wished the "you peed your pants" had not been repeated, as well as the reference to it while in the pool. Too much bathroom humor for me!
Emily
Another hilarious Lane Smith book. I love this author! He always puts a smile on my face. I would use this book to explain what a figure of speech is. I would possibly use it to inspire older kids to create their own figure of speech.
  • I'm a Shark
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn
  • Nuts to You!
  • Mustache!
  • Chick 'n' Pug
  • Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Seen Art?
  • Have I Got a Book for You!
  • Max's Words
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Fix It Duck
  • What Pet To Get?
  • A Home for Bird
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • My Name is Elizabeth!
Smith was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but moved to Corona, California at a young age. He spent summers in Tulsa, however, and cites experiences there as inspirations for his work, saying that "[o]nce you've seen a 100-foot cement buffalo on top of a donut-stand (sic) in the middle of nowhere, you're never the same."

He studied art in college at the encouragement of his high school art teacher, helping...more
More about Lane Smith...
It's a Book Grandpa Green John, Paul, George & Ben Abe Lincoln's Dream Madam President