Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide

Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: A Practitioner's Guide

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Building on the enormous popularity of her two previous texts on diagnosis and case formulation, this important work from Nancy McWilliams completes the trilogy by addressing in detail the art and science of psychodynamic treatment. McWilliams distills the essential principles of clinical practice, including effective listening and talking; transference and countertransfer...more
Published March 18th 2004 by The Guilford Press

Jonathan Ridenour
McWilliams is my favorite author in the psychoanalytic literature. Very easy to read and doesn't get tangled up in the jargon, like many writers. She is a collaborator/synthesizer and brings together many excellent directions in the anyltic lit.
Melissa Lee-tammeus
Another one I wish I owned but don't. Sigh. Someday I will have a full library of psychoanalytic books - and I will revel in their awesomeness.
Scott Smith
This was a beautifully written, extremely well-thought-out book for beginning therapists. Why wasn't it included in my graduate school curriculum?
Del
Her writing style is a bit dense, but she provides a good understanding of psychoanalytic practice to the beginning practitioner. This text (and the psychodynamic class I am reading it for) has definitely let me know that while I appreciate many of the concepts and theories brought forth by psychodynamic psychotherapy I do differ in theory on some key aspect. I am definitely a gestalt practitioner.
Ted Feder
At the beginning of my practice, so many questions...and this book has the answers. Everything you wanted to know about seeing patients is here in the excellent book. I would recommend that all psychotherapists, no matter how long you have been seeing patients, read this book.
stephanie
Aug 19, 2007 stephanie marked it as to-read
rec: annice. hopefully will help me figure out more clearly what they (analysts) are trying to do that differs from my conception of behavior therapy.
Ash
Well written and filled with humanity. Too bad it's grounded in an outdated theory.
Tatiana
McWilliams texts are an asset to any psychodynamically-oriented therapist
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Agata Conversano
Agata Conversano marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jonas Afonso
Jonas Afonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Özgür Takmaz
Özgür Takmaz marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Jordan Olischefski
Jordan Olischefski marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Suresh
Suresh added it
May 31, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Spiro
Spiro marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process Psychoanalytic Case Formulation Psychoanalytic Diagnosis, Second Edition: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process Il caso clinico. Dal colloquio alla diagnosi Insiders' Guide to the Outer Banks of North Carolina