Blank-133x176
The Crippled Angel

Sara Douglass

The Crippled Angel (The Crucible #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  705 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The third book of The Crucible, an exciting new historical fantasy from the author of the popular Axis Trilogy.
Published (first published 2001)

Karen Brooks
The final page-turning installment of The Crucible series, The Crippled Angel, sees Thomas Neville, former Dominican, warrior and now King Henry's (Hal's) confidant and conscience, forced to make the choice that will change the world. Understanding what he is and what's expected of him, the role he has no choice but to play, Neville nonetheless struggles with his morals and what he believes he must do, procrastinating endlessly! Despite the apparent wickedness of the angels and deception of thos...more
Katy
This book had a lot going for it. The characters were enjoyable in both "good" and "evil" camps, and the story interesting as it progressed. But throughout the series, the religious themes were a little bit too shallow (both in the depiction of religion at the time, and in general) as well as a bit overbearing and heavy handed. In the end, there was a fairly contradictory message which didn't jell all that well in an otherwise well laid out story. Overall, it was as good a read as the second boo...more
lynne naranek
Okay, so Thomas' dilemma of having to give his soul on a platter to a prostitute gets a *wee* bit irritating when everyone keeps harping, agonizing, and dithering about it in just about every single chapter!

... but apart from that, this book is a very interesting end to a great series.

I must say I felt a bit guilty about being party to the premise of Archangel Michael and the other angels being nothing but cruel petty arrogant beings, and surprisingly, this is what had me holding back from thoro...more
Steph Klassen
I was surprised with how the book ended. I AM glad that it ended the way it did, and I am glad in the choice that Thomas makes in the end. It was satisfying to finish the book, though part of me wishes he had learned his lessons earlier.

The series does have a good message about the importance of loving.

While I realise that it is a work of fiction, and as such, the author is free to mess around with history as she sees fit, it kind of bothered me that she had characters out of their proper time...more
Tulara
I read this in a day. I had to find out the smashing ending to all these people/angels I had come to know over reading the series. I must say, I was not prepared for the ending and the final revealing of my favorite characters. I do admit I did not know too much history of the English Kings, but did recognize some of the them - although they were not described as history played them to be. I like the style of wondering how history would change if you added one character or changed the way that c...more
Mircats
Interesting premise.
Julia
Sara Douglass concludes her Crucible series with this third book that takes place among the royal courts of 14th-century England and France in an altered reality that closely resembles our own, but for the interference of angels in mortal affairs. I didn't fall in love with the series, but this is a very interesting time in English (and French) history, and Douglass definitely has a way with words!
Tim
Book 3 of 'The Crucible' Trilogy.

I admit that I do have a soft spot for supernatural/religious themed books so I may be a tad biased but I have to say that I absolutely LOVED the Crucible Trilogy.

These were the first books of Sara's that I've read & they sure as hell won't be the last!!
Christine
Very interesting take on the war between good/evil and the fight for the souls of mankind. Takes place in a semi-historical 14th century Europe which made me go research more of the time. I think the ending could have been a bit more satisfying but it was a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Darren Li
A lot of mystery in my opinion. It sometimes became a bit confusing between the transitions of scenes. Nevertheless the story itself was marvelous. This would be a great read for any medieval era lover. The rest is for you to find out! Happy Reading!
Matt DeLateur
historical fantasy at its best :D
Julia Phillips
Continuing the excellent story launched in the first volume of this series, in books 2 and 3 the characters develop, suspicion and conspiracies abound, and the series marches towards its fascinating conclusion.
Crash
Having now finished the trilogy, I can conclude that the series is an OK read, but nothing spectacular. There are a few neat ideas, but a lot of the writing is rather trite.
Jerry
I absolutely loved this series. Very well written and a definite page turner until the end. I am looking forward to reading her other works.
Child_reborn
It was cheap... So I bought it. Better of buying a six pack. To many christians, to many angels...

Jon of Arc . end of discussion
Angelique Sapone
I almost had to take time off work after reading this to let my mind absorb all three novels.
Dave
A very good trilogy about 14th century religion with a fantasy twist
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Katmac
Katmac added it
Jul 04, 2014
Meagan
Meagan added it
Jul 02, 2014
  • Masters of Reality: The Gathering (The Ancient Future, #3)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #3)
  • That Way Lies Camelot
  • Shapers of Darkness (Winds of the Forelands, #4)
  • Odalisque (Percheron, #1)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
  • The Bloody Cup (King Arthur, #3)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • The Spirit Stone (The Silver Wyrm, #2) (The Dragon Mage, #5)
  • Talyn (Korre, #1)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas...more
More about Sara Douglass...
The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1) Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2) Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3) Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4) Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)