Start by marking “Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality Structure in the Clinical Process” as Want to Read:

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,692 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This is the first text to come along in many years that makes psychoanalytic personality theory and its implications for practice accessible to beginning practitioners. The last book of its kind, which was published more than 20 years ago, predated the development of such significant concepts as borderline syndromes, narcissistic pathology, dissociative disorders and self- ...more
Published April 15th 1994 by The Guilford Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Psychoanalytic Diagnosis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychoanalytic Diagnosis

Elena
Nov 27, 2010 Elena rated it it was amazing
I read this book to learn more about bipolar as I have a friend with this diagnosis. This book was recommended to me by another friend and I was glad I could get my hands on it.
Its written in professional language and sometimes it was hard to understand some things, because I'm not a doctor and psychology is just something of an interest of mine.
But it answered all my questions. It is a very interesting reading, but be prepared to what you might find out, the author just puts the info out there
Ypatios Varelas
Apr 16, 2016 Ypatios Varelas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Εξαιρετικό βιβλίο, αυστηρά για θεραπευτές και γνώστες ή σπουδαστές κλινικής ψυχολογίας και ψυχανάλυσης. Η δεύτερη αυτή έκδοση είναι αναθεωρημένη και περιέχει πολλά σύγχρονα στοιχεία. Σε κάποια σημεία θα ήθελα καλύτερη μετάφραση και κάποιοι όροι δεν έχουν αποδοθεί άριστα στην ελληνική γλώσσα, όμως αυτό δεν μειώνει την αξία του συγγράματος. Μπορεί κάποιος να διαφωνεί με κάποιες απόψεις της McWilliams, όπως κι εγώ, καθώς και με κάποιες αναφορές της στο Freud που πλέον έχουν ανατραπεί από τα επιστημ ...more
Melanie Kirdasi
May 09, 2013 Melanie Kirdasi rated it it was amazing
I had ordered this book to write a paper for a class but the book never arrived, luckily I came across the book several months later in the school library. Though it appears studious it is not a dry read. It is a thoughtful and reflective book that shows insight into the patient counselor relationship in a very humanistic way. The disorders that are covered in the book are of the more well known categories that a therapist is likely to encounter with patients but the authors understanding of the ...more
Jon Frederickson
Oct 05, 2013 Jon Frederickson rated it it was amazing
In an era devoted to phenomenological diagnosis (listing observable symptoms), how refreshing it is to find a book like this which helps to explain what actually causes those symptoms so you know what to treat! A list of symptoms tells us what the problem is but not what causes those symptoms, what we actually have to treat in psychotherapy. McWilliams does a wonderful job helping the reader understand the patterns of human behavior that generate different symptom pictures. Further, she shows ho ...more
Filipa
Feb 04, 2015 Filipa rated it it was amazing
Um livro bem estruturado e sistematizado, sobre o diagnóstico psicanalítico (li a versão portuguesa da Climepsi). A experiência e a sensibilidade terapêutica da autora são notórias e ajudam-nos a desenvolver um pouco mais a empatia em relação às diversas personalidades existentes no nosso quotidiano.
Fulya TEZEL
Jul 07, 2015 Fulya TEZEL rated it it was amazing
Nancy McWilliams'ın Psikanalitik Tanı adlı kitabı özetle bir kitap değil, bir okul. Kişilik yapısı sınıflandırmasında psikanalitik yaklaşıma dair müthiş bir giriş düzey kitabı. Okuyucuyu teorik bilgiye boğmadan, yılların deneyiminin içinden süzülmüş ayırıcı tanıya yönelik ipuçlarıyla dolu, bir psikoterapistin her danışanına özgü benimsemesi gereken doğru teknik duruşu net bir şekilde anlatan başucu kitaplarından. Ayrıca türkçe baskısının son derece iyi bir çeviri olduğunu söyleyebilirim ve çevir ...more
Patricia
Nov 23, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in psychology
Recommended to Patricia by: Tony the psychoanalytical god
his is a must have primer for all who practice psychotherapy, counseling, etc. It was written to be such.

Each and every Axis II diagnosis is analyzed from the simply neurotic to the full blown personality disorder. and the good news is that she tells you what to do about it; how to approach each presentation, how to help each presentation.

so read it and find yourself, cringe, move on and read about your clients in a really refreshing and intelligent (not unreadable intellectual) format.

Nancy Mc
Justcasper
Apr 19, 2015 Justcasper rated it did not like it
it really wouldn't hurt the author to use more commas. it's a torture to read her books, dry and full of long sentences. Gabbard's books are more interesting and engaging.
Jessica
Feb 22, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful and clear picture of modern day psychoanalytic and psychodynamic approaches to understanding and treating the individual! McWilliam's conceptualization of different personality organizations (e.g., Obsessive-compulsive, depressive, anti-social, etc.) demonstrates a non pathological way of understanding how individuals operate in the world, as well as how these personality organizations can become pathological when their defining characteristics move too far along the spectrum to ...more
David
Aug 27, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Without a doubt one of the best books on psychoanalytic theory. Nancy McWilliams is the writer that Freud wishes he was. Yes, I said it. Not only does she understand the analytic process, she makes sure the reader does as well.
David
Dec 19, 2007 David rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: psychologists
Shelves: psychology
Nancy McWilliams does a wonderful job of filling in the psychopathological gaps left in the DSM with psychodynamic theory. She explains the rich history of psychodynamic theory as well as the development of the disorders listed in the DSM. Her writing style is erudite yet down to earth. She comes across as having a delightful sense of humor which is no small task in a book covering this subject matter. I would highly recommend that all students of psychopathology read this book in addition of th ...more
Brooke
May 20, 2010 Brooke rated it really liked it
If I must continuously read psychoanalytic theory for my licensing exam, than McWilliams is the author of choice. Her words flow effortlessly and her passion for her work is most palpable. I groan at some of the texts I've been referred to during my PsyD, however, this is one to which I frequently return to with great pleasure.
Sarah Evan
Apr 03, 2010 Sarah Evan rated it it was amazing
This book has integrated my first year or so of psychology classes (especially theories of personality, abnormal psychology and developmental theory) with the therapeutic lessons and practice I have had. IT IS SO HELPFUL in bringing all these topics together to apply to therapeutic practice. I can't wait to read more of her work!
Sara
Feb 21, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best and most referred to explanation of personality structure I own (and I own a many). Clinically, it needs to be used as a supplement to more involved material but the case studies and personal anecdotes included in the book are quite helpful in illustrating concepts found elsewhere.
Krystal
Apr 12, 2009 Krystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Nancy McWilliams is a wonderful writer. She writes in a way that makes psychoanalytic theory accessible to people at all levels of knowledge. She is very clear in using cases to illustrate her points, which, unlike your usual textbook, makes it fun to read.
Bob
Feb 10, 2013 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Read this once years ago and loved it. Really helped me get a sense of what motivates some people and what certain behaviors are driven by. Was re-reading it for a while, but haven't picked it up lately. So I'm putting it on abandoned, for the second reading.
Susan
Jun 11, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
It's not every day that you find a writer like McWilliams, who can be so informative (without sacrificing complexity) and readable at the same time. I have never gone wrong with any of her books and this is no exception.
Jonathan Ridenour
May 11, 2007 Jonathan Ridenour rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I LOVE this book. It's a must read for anyone in psychology who isn't satisfied with the DSM-IV. It goes through the development of diagnosis and its implications for clinical work. Read all of McWilliams books, including PDM.
Kaylie
Apr 13, 2013 Kaylie rated it liked it
This is a very readable, accessible, and interesting text. However, without having a psychodynamic orientation, a lot of small things were grating or alarming. Good dimensional conceptualization of PDs.
Annalisa
May 11, 2009 Annalisa is currently reading it
It is a very interesting book, easy to read despite the complexity of the subject. It is intended for beginners therapists to support their diagnostic skills. Very good!
Deidre
Jun 28, 2012 Deidre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
straightforward, clear, and modern psychoanalytic take that does a great job of filling in the gaps that DSM leaves by trying to fit people in neat little boxes
Mar 21, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Nancy McWilliams is so accessible and so clear in her presentation of material; this book is sure to impact how I practice, now and throughout my career.
Doug Diegert
Feb 17, 2014 Doug Diegert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to imagine a textbook on psychoanalysis that reads like a bestselling novel but there it is. I could not put it down. I hope her other books are as good.
Angella
Apr 01, 2011 Angella rated it liked it
This is a gods-send for my clinical work! She really helps explain a non-pathological way at looking at personality structure.
Rod White
Feb 12, 2012 Rod White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whew! Intricate read for the budding therapist! I feel like I need to start over immediately! Fascinating and thorough.
Paul
Jan 19, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only is the writing clear (which is a feat given the complexity of the content), but it's actually a good read.
Paula
Dec 02, 2011 Paula rated it liked it
Boy, I can't stand Freudians! But this one is bearable. I like what she has to say about workng with schizophrenics.
Katy
Sep 19, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
So far pretty good. I might even need to reread to take notes.
Emily
May 24, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Whoa. Read what I could before I had to give it back to link plus.
Allyce
  • Psychodynamic Psychiatry in Clinical Practice
  • Playing and Reality
  • On Being a Therapist
  • Every Day Gets a Little Closer: A Twice-Told Therapy
  • Schopenhauer's Porcupines: Intimacy And Its Dilemmas: Five Stories Of Psychotherapy
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • An Elementary Textbook of Psychoanalysis
  • Between Therapist and Client: The New Relationship
  • Psychiatric Interviewing: the Art of Understanding A Practical Guide for Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Nurses, and Other Mental Health Professionals
  • The Unsayable: The Hidden Language of Trauma
  • Inside Out and Outside in: Psychodynamic Clinical Theory and Practice in Contemporary Multicultural Contexts
  • Neurotic Styles
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Healing Trauma: Attachment, Mind, Body and Brain
  • Uncommon Therapy: The Psychiatric Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D.
  • Our Inner Conflicts: A Constructive Theory of Neurosis

“Jedna z moich maniakalnych pacjentek opisała siebie jako wirujący bączek. Zdawała sobie sprawę z własnej potrzeby nieustannego poruszania się - bycie w ruchu broniło ją przed odczuwaniem czegoś bolesnego. Jednostki maniakalne obawiają się przywiązania, ponieważ boją się nieznośnego bólu w razie utraty bliskiej osoby. Na kontinuum osobowości od psychotycznej do neurotycznej zaburzenie maniakalne
plasuje się raczej w obszarze borderline i psychotycznym ze względu na zachodzące w nim stosunkowo prymitywne procesy. W konsekwencji wielu osobom w manii, hipomanii i cyklotymii grozi subiektywne odczucie dezintegracji Ja, przez psychologów nazywane fragmentacją Ja. Osoby w manii boją się po prostu tego, że jeśli się zatrzymają, rozpadną się na kawałki.”
1 likes
“Patients with symptom neuroses feel on the side of the therapist in opposing a problematic part of the self. They rarely require a long period to develop a shared perspective. In contrast, those whose problems are complexly interwoven with their personality may easily feel alone and under attack.” 0 likes