Start by marking “The Ring of McAllister: A Score-Raising Mystery Featuring 1,046 Must-Know SAT Vocabulary Words” as Want to Read:

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Ring of McAllister features:

* Over 1,000 frequently seen SAT words in an engaging novel format
* Each word defined at the bottom of each page

* Glossary of SAT words at the back
* Sample exercises to show students how vocabulary is tested on the SAT
Published February 6th 2007 by Kaplan Publishing (first published November 16th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of McAllister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring of McAllister

Dijonn Salgado
Marantz's "The ring of McAllister" educated me with a fun way to learn vocabulary words as well as SAT help. The book created mystery with words and the meanings of them. The main character was a 17 year old named Will Lassiter who becomes found to the where his neighbor Dr.Octavio Perez disappeared too.The goal was to find out what exactly happened to the neighbor. My opinion on the book is that although it was cheesy it gave me a insight on words that would be used on the SAT testing.

The them
Al Edwards
Mar 13, 2009 Al Edwards rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mystery books and has an interest or need in learning SAT words.
Recommended to Al by: An educational program
Enrique Macias
This book called the The Ring Of Mcallister is about a 17 years old kid name William Lassiter live in Red Fork, Pennsylvania. William has two best friends Katie and Tyrone and they live in this town were it used to be the country estate of a very rich and powerful man name Algernon McAllister. In the same neighborhood that William live their was a Doctor name Octavio Perez where from no were he disappear and people starting to to worry about what happen to him and it became a mystery. When Will ...more
Rebecca
It was better than I expected and I'm sure it's a much more enjoyable way to learn some SAT vocab than lists or flash cards. It was a pretty good story and I didn't guess the ending until pretty near the end.
Jasiel Lopez
This novel is written with the purpose of teaching high school student new vocabulary words and it is strict in its attempt to do so. The book contains a simple plot, few characters and very little else. The story is entertaining enough to allow the reader to learn new SAT words without boring him to death. I would definitely recommend it if you are studying for the SAT but it doesn't offer much to anyone looking for an exciting and stimulating novel.
Elisabeth
I typically don't particularly like reading books because I was forced to as summer homework, but this wasn't actually so bad. The general story was amazing, and perfectly aimed at the teens who have to read this book. Still, all the bold SAT words were a little distracting while reading, and I would have just preferred the definitions at the bottom of the page without the words being highlighted.
Samuel Buncabi
In this book I learned about Will Lassiter. Will is a 17 year old boy, who believes he stays beside a haunted house. Dr.Octavio Perez moved in next door. He suddenly disappears. His daugther Laura is worried about him, and she asks Will and some of his friends to help.In the end it's life or death? This was a very good book, and it helps build vocabulary.
Stoiko
A great book for learning the SAT as well as simple recreational reading.

The plot is quite thrilling and teems of supernatural suspense. It can be read within the scope of a few hours save for the time needed to look up unfamiliar words.

This book is among my favourites and I have read it at least three times.
Patricia
Minutely helpful for those parents who want their child to practice SAT vocabulary. I think flash cards would be a better strategy though.
Christina
Nov 11, 2010 Christina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school students- prep for SAT
Kinda cheesy, but a great way to learn SAT vocab in context. Also, includes a glossary at the back.
Lori
Clever idea, but the story line seems a little immature for the SAT taking crowd.
Pompom
didn't think i would like it but i ended up really enjoying it
Joe Bo
Joe Bo marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Izzy
Izzy marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Megan Sickler
Megan Sickler is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
maria ramos
maria ramos marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Gurnoor Singh
Gurnoor Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Leesa
Leesa added it
Jun 19, 2014
Charity Windham
Charity Windham marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Chris Charles
Chris Charles marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Mydienon
Mydienon marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Alivia
Alivia marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Ring of McAllister: A Score-Raising Mystery Featuring 1,000 Must-Know SAT Vocabulary Words Ring of McAllister: A Score-Raising Mystery Featuring 1,046 Must-Know SAT Vocabulary Words Ring of McAllister: A Score-Raising Mystery Featuring 1,000 Must-Know SAT V Ring of McAllister: A Score-Raising Mystery Featuring 1,046 Must-Know SAT V