Down the Back of the Chair

Down the Back of the Chair

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  36 reviews
When Dad loses his car keys, little Mary suggests they might be down the back of the chair. Join in the fun as Dad begins the search, finding everything from a hairy string to a diamond ring—and much, much more! Could the solution to all the family’s problems be down the back of the chair?

A lively rhyming text and quirky art come together in this visual explosion of fun an...more
Published June 12th 2006 by Clarion Books

Miriam
Odd little verse story about an overwhelmed father who finds a succession of increasingly bizarre items "down the back of the chair" as he searches for his car keys. Although quite fanciful, the story is surprisingly realistic in aspects -- the grubbiness of the under-parented toddlers, for instance, and the anxiety of the older girl that her father will be fired and have no money if he doesn't find the keys in time. I don't know whether this is just Mahy, who never shies away from social diffic...more
Kathryn
Not sure why I wasn't more "into" this story. It's a neat little idea, but I guess I just found the things in back of the chair too much a collection of extraordinary misc. (really, elephants having a tea party!?) but perhaps that is the charm of the tale for young readers. (Also, I thought the dad looked a bit, um, scary; channeling a bit of the look from Munch's "The Scream"--but maybe that is just me!)
Dolly
Nov 29, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Charming story about a family who find the solution to all their troubles (and a lot of other things, too!) "Down the Back of the Chair." Strange and quirky, but a great poem that flows easily and is fun to read. Our girls have borrowed this a few times from the library.
Amber the Human
Somewhere along the way, Mahy was recommended to me, and although I've never found any of her books to be totally enthralling, they're good and I can see why children like them. This book goes into detail about all the preposterous things that one could find while searching the cracks of a chair - a fun enough concept.
Vicki Kier
One of Mahy's finest, Down the Back of the Chair humorously recounts the fortunes found by one economically-challenged family "down the back of the chair"--a refrain repeated throughout the rhyming text. Loads of new vocabulary and clever phrases like "rack and ruin" are sure to please listeners, who will also appreciate the rhythm and sounds of Mahy's interesting alliterations and non-standard, refreshing rhymes when read aloud. Dunbar's quirky drawings exude an energy and silliness, perfectly...more
Beth Koorey
Down the back of the chair is a pearler to read aloud, or giggle with by myself. "The chair, the chair, the challenging chair, the champion chair, the cheerful chair, charming chair, the children's chair, the chopped and chipped, but chosen chair."

Margaret Mahy has died today, Monday 23 July, after being diagnosed with cancer in April this year. And always working with dynamos like the gorgeous illustrator Polly Dunbar...

I hope RNZ will repeat an interview Mahy's interview on Kim Hill's progra...more
Susan
This hoot and a half of a picture book makes me sadder still that Margaret Mahy no longer graces our world, makes me long to be a New Zealander where bandicoots and skinks and conger eels are probably not alien to children as they might be here in NY (and they have the sea the sea the sea everywhere and libraries plum full of her even her most obscure books I would hope), and mostly makes me laugh with her take no prisoners gleeful rhyming.
Raising a (pretend, the best kind) glass to you, Margar...more
Elizabeth
more like 3.5 stars...
5/5 illustrations
3/5 story

I think the premise of the book is a little weird, and potentially scary for children (the family is facing financial ruin because the dad can't find his car keys... eeek, I lose my keys every day!) but the things that come out of the chair when he is looking for spare change are funny and clever, so the story definitely picks up. And goodness, I love Polly Dunbar. Her illustrations are a little darker in this in some ways, but so original and rich...more
Shannon
A read-aloud story about a father who's lost his car keys. A frantic search leads a child to suggest the back of the chair - from whence all wonderful and amazing lost items are found. A fun rhyming text blends with fine drawings in a funny fantasy of a simple chair's riches.

Teaching Ideas/author website:

Have students write their own story for what is down the back of the chair.
Tam
This is not the "type" of book that my 4-year-old likes and he was constantly asking me what words meant.

Excerpt from the book:
"Nothing but dockets in his pockets,
raging with despair, Dad acts appalled!
Though nearly bald, he tries to tear his hair.
But Mary, who is barely two,
says, 'Dad should do what I would do!
I lose a lot, but I find a few--
down the back of the chair."
S.K.
I adore Polly Dunbar's illustrations. They are so simple and cute with just the right amount of detail to stay interesting.

The story was cute, the rhyming working very well for the most part, and fun to read out loud. Love the concept and the humor with what is found in the back of that chair!

Shelli
A tale of a disorganized family that is at the end of their emotional and financial rope. They discover many of the answers to their problems "Down the Back of the Chair." A quirky read-aloud to share small children that may lead them to investigate what may be lurking under the sofa cushions.
Annie
A rollicking rhyming picture book, absolutely perfect to read aloud (audience optional). Best version - Margaret herself, although I did her Margaret and her grandson Harry recite it at the Gala Dinner commemorating Margaret's 70th birthday[http://www.storylines.org.nz/events.a...]!
Megan
The first time I read this I wasn't that impressed with it (some lines seemed a little forced), but the more I read it the more I like it. The illustrations by Polly Dunbar are of course so creative and I love studying them. This really is a cute book.
Kristin
Nov 08, 2007 Kristin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers and moms
Elaina and I read this book today and it was a great rhyming book...beyond your typical "fat, cat" stuff, and anyone who's ever cleaned out couch cushions and found amazing stuff will appreciate it (that's got to include all of us?).
Michelle
Talks about how the father and two children find several things "down the back of the chair." I enjoyed how the story was written and I enjoyed the illustrations. This book was written by a New Zealand author.
Rachel
Fun, ridiculously exaggerated premise; makes for an animated read-a-loud. The father illustrations are zombieish, which is off-putting and breaks from the light-heartedness of the story, but clever over-all.
Rei
Another great story from Mahy. Lots of rhyme once again which I think makes it exciting and fun to read. You will be amazed by what you can find down the back of a chair. The kids will enjoy it.
Eva
Aug 02, 2010 Eva rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents
Recommended to Eva by: A friend
Shelves: childrens
I love this book. Well actually, my kids love this book.

It's fun, gets the imagination working, and is wonderfully illustrated. If only I had a chair like this one!

Natalie
I always like Pollly Dunbar's work, I'm especially fond of the lion with curly hair in this one :)

Excellent rhymes, superb illustrations, fantastic refrain.
Polly
Quirky and strange, but in a good way. Probably not something I'll ever use professionally, but if I had kids of my own, I'd read it to them like a shot!
Elizabeth Meadows
What fun! Delightful story for toddlers told in poetry with numerous likely and unlikely things found tucked way down in the slip cover of a chair.
Candace
I have read this four times since renting it. Filled with imagination. Made the children I read it to look down the back of their couches. HA!
Rachel Ayers
A family manages to solve their financial difficulties by looking for loose change (and other things) behind the cushion of the chair.
Kristen
The illustrations were wonderful. Not sure what I thought about the text/story. But I could study these pictures for a long time.
Donna Blaber
My daughters loved this book when they were six years old and I enjoyed reading it to them. Over and over again(!).
Ellen Ramsey
Incredibly delightful and funny to read! A romp through absurdity. I wish I had chairs like this one!
Emily Brown
Sooo funny and silly and imaginative. love it. would be great to transition this into a flannel board.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Margaret Mahy was a well-known New Zealand author of children's and young adult books. While the plots of many of her books have strong supernatural elements, her writing concentrates on the themes of human relationships and growing up.

Her books The Haunting and The Changeover: A Supernatural Romance both received the Carnegie Medal of the British Library Association. There have 100 children's boo...more
More about Margaret Mahy...
The Changeover The Seven Chinese Brothers The Tricksters Bubble Trouble The Haunting (Puffin Books)