Start by marking “L'étrange histoire de Benjamin Button” as Want to Read:
L'étrange histoire de Benjamin Button

L'étrange histoire de Benjamin Button

3.53  ·  Rating Details ·  32,914 Ratings  ·  2,707 Reviews
Today, F. Scott Fitzgerald is known for his novels, but in his lifetime, his fame stemmed from his prolific achievement as one of America’s most gifted story writers. “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” a witty and fantastical satire about aging, is one of his most memorable stories.

In 1860 Benjamin Button is born an old man and mysteriously begins aging backward. At th
Mass Market Paperback, 103 pages
Published 2008 by Gallimard (first published 1922)

Jason Koivu
Oct 18, 2010 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you read this backwards it totally makes sense!
Nandakishore Varma
Goodreads is serendipitous! I have been planning to read this for a long time, but somehow kept on putting it off. I suddenly came across Fatty Bolger's review in my feed. It was during my lunch hour, so I Googled for a free version online, found it, and read it.

Surprisingly, I liked the story a lot better than I was expecting to. Unlike the movie, which has a heavy dose of pathos, the story is an out-and-out fantasy based on an outlandish premise: what would happen if one aged in reverse? This
Paquita Maria Sanchez
First of all, how is there an entire movie here? Yeah, yeah, it would probably be best to come back to that.

My overall vote is "meh?" From a clunky start, this short story waxes and wanes in a similar fashion to its title character. All that I could think while reading the first two sections was how Fitzgerald's dialogue and descriptions of character behavior were the literary equivalent of cutting paper dolls out of vellum and proclaiming them to be sentient creatures. Along with being generall
Magdalena
I’ve seen the movie (twice), and I’ve been looking forward to reading the short story that the movie is based for a while now. The movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has very little in common with the book. The name is the same, and the core is the same, Benjamin Button is born old and as he grows older he grows younger both in the book and the movie. But in the book, he is raised by his father and not abandon at birth. And all the rest of the book differs also from the movie.

I liked the
Amanda
Oct 28, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-log, audiobooks
Yay! I finally completed my first audiobook. This isn't exactly a great feat seeing as this story is only about 1 hour and 20 minutes, but it was the perfect length for my walk and recent time constraints.

This was such a pleasurable read and worthy of the short amount of time needed to complete. This story is quite different from the movie, but I found it preferable. Even though I am more of a visual learner, the audio version gave me a chance to truly appreciate the writing skills of Fitzgerald
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
Oct 06, 2016 Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Would you like getting younger as you age? Literally?
description

★★★★★★★★★☆[9/10]

❓If you happen to meet your kids and grandkids on your way down to childhood, will they regard you as their peer or their nemesis?

❓Will they embrace you with arms wide open or regard you with vitriolic contempt?

❓Will you still love your wife's wrinked skin and mellow body or will she cease to interest you as you seek the company of prettier, younger women?

❓Would you want to unlearn everything as you age(or un-age) without even a faint memory of ever having accomplished wonderf
Jean
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a strange little fantasy about a baby born in 1860, who appears to be a withered decrepit old man. He goes on to live his life in reverse, doing all the normal things - running a business, marrying and having children, going to war, attending school and college, and ending up in kindergarten and under the care of a nurse. It was written by Scott Fitzgerald in 1922. Clearly it is a social satire.

In his introduction, Fitzgerald says that he came across a sim
Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast)
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." -Søren Kirkegaard

This wonderful short story blurs a lot of lines. It's definitely a satire about aging and how it affects one's position in society, but it's also unequivocally a bittersweet tragedy. A whimsical odyssey in reverse, a story of falling in and out of love, a rumination on memory, a chronicle of one odd branch of a family tree.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button truly is all of these things, but first and forem
Inder Suri
I have never read anything like this before.
When you pick up a book and you know that it is more a short-story than a novel, it's obvious you can't expect much from the book. It will either be a short tale telling you something related to a significant subject and maximum it can do is to give you a heartwarming and a satisfying ending.

But this book was something more. It was different. Yes, like many others, I already knew those two words very strongly related to this book i.e, "Aging Backwards"
Maria Bikaki
Γρήγορο και μικρό ανάγνωσμα για βράδυ Σαββάτου που είσαι έτοιμος για μια έξαλλη νύχτα έχοντας βάλει πυτζάμες από το απόγευμα, έχοντας ετοιμάσει πλήρη λίστα των ταινιών που θα δεις και για καλό και για κακό βάζεις και το κινητό στο αθόρυβο μην και τολμήσει και χτυπήσει και όχι τίποτα άλλο άντε να βρεις δικαιολογία να μην πας πουθενά αφού είχες πονοκέφαλο 9 στα 10 προηγουμενα Σαββατοκύριακα.
Εντάξει αφου σας ανέλυσα το social life μου γιατί πραγματικά άλλο καημό δεν είχατε το νιώθω ας περάσουμε και
Hayat
Dec 19, 2015 Hayat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I've watched and enjoyed the brilliant movie adaptation of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button so when I came across the very short audiobook on YouTube, I couldn't resist.

“Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.”
Benjamin Button is born in 1860 as an old man and begins to slowly and mysteriously age backward to the bewilderment and consternation of his family.

The whole thing is a metaphor for the inevitable march of time and our inescapable fate...ageing and de
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Originally published as a short-story in Collier's magazine's "Tales of the Jazz Age" in 1922, Fitzgerald's quirky, fairy-tale-like story of a man born at age seventy who gets younger has been widely available as a novella for many years. This collector's edition has been released to coincide with the movie: it's a lovely little black hardcover with glossy pages and wonderful colour illustrations by Calef Brown.

Benjamin Button was born in 1860 at age 70: bald, shrunken, with a long beard and a q
tyranus
Jun 08, 2016 tyranus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
* Emin olmadığınız bir soruyla karşılaştığınızda, ilk aklınıza gelen şıkkı işaretleyin; çünkü ilk akla gelen çoğu zaman doğrudur denirdi hepimize. Ama her zaman öyle olmuyor işte, bazen istisnalar da oluyor. Bu kitap da bahsettiğim istisnalardan biri oldu benim için. İlk okuduğumda fantastik bir hikaye olarak değerlendirmiştim sanırım. İkinci kere okuduğumda anladım ki, kitap aslında bir toplum eleştirisidir. Tüm farklılıklarına rağmen tüm çocukları/bireyleri bilinen bir yolda, kabul edilen yön ...more
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the book after watching the movie and generally, I always read the book first if it came out first. And Fitzgerald definitely came out before movies and films :)!

Loved both but especially the book. I found it amusing that Fitzgerald was almost mocking little Benjamin whose entire dilemma he had created in his imagination.... And it is a very deeply reflective book - I don't know why but I kept thinking about my own life and what it would feel like to age backwards ...

The writing is exquis
Ziba
Mar 12, 2015 Ziba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing! In no way did this feel like a short-story. Incredible journey. Loved it!
Sara Santos
3,5
David Sarkies
Feb 12, 2012 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: Brad Pitt
Shelves: modernist
A rather dry collection of short stories
20 February 2012

When I first saw this book in Dymocks I thought 'oh, the movie is based on a book by F. Scott Fitzgerald!' and I bought it (not that I have seen the film). However, I discovered that this book was actually a collection of short stories by the same author, and while I enjoyed the first two stories, I pretty quickly became lost after that and found most of them quite boring and dry. However, as I always try to do, I read through to the end
Tempo de Ler
'O Estranho Caso de Benjamin Button' é um dos livros que me ofereceu mais prazer a contemplar as implicações do seu conteúdo do que propriamente a lê-lo.

Este livro é a narrativa apressada das memórias de vida de Benjamin; voando sobre as diversas fases da sua vida, sem perder tempo, debruçando-se apenas sobre o essencial. A excêntrica particularidade destas memórias é que a vida de Benjamin decorreu no sentido inverso: nasceu idoso e à medida que 'envelhece' fica cada vez mais novo.

Mas não nos d
Corinne
This short story begins as Mr. Roger Button is bustling about Baltimore, waiting for the birth of his first born child. The reception he receives as he arrives at the hospital gives him hints that all is NOT right with his child. And it is a MOST curious case: young Button was born old - as in, beard, watery eyes, wrinkles. OLD. Benjamin, as he's named, prefers cigars over rattles and is more comfortable with his grandfather than other tots.

What's even more interesting is that Benjamin grows you
Sumirti Singaravel
Jul 15, 2014 Sumirti Singaravel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those who love literature n wild imaginations
""Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen"

I don't know whether Fitzgerald got inspired by these lines of thought by Mark Twain, but I can assure you that the above quote sums up this whole short story except that Benjamin Button was born at the age of seventy, approach till the stage of milk-suckling baby, and definitely leads not a life of 'infinitely happy'.

Succinct though it may be, it leaves one with deep thoughts,
Salymar
Best tearjerker and thought-provoking story I have read in years.

It got me thinking about life once again. If you look deeply into the message of the story you'll be stunned. The message is simply 'Life isn't measured in minutes, but in moment' and we are given a short time, we must be wise and sure on how we make the most of it.

The novel left me a question that still bugs me until now: Do you still wish you could turn back the clock?

'Some people, were born to sit by a river. Some get struck by
Carla
F. Scott Fitzgerald continua a ser um enigma para mim: gosto das histórias que conta, gosta da forma como as conta mas, no fim, fica sempre a sensação de que ficou algo por dizer.

Neste caso em específico... Que história! Que escrita! Que pena... Soube a pouco!
Beth F.
I don’t read a lot of short stories because I like having the opportunity to spend longer periods of time getting to know the characters. But I was curious to read this story because the premise sounded interesting and also because Brad Pitt made me do it.

Last night was my company’s holiday party and since I didn’t get home until sometime between 2:30 and 3:00 in the morning, suffice it to say that I was feeling a tad under the weather today. Reading a short story was right up my alley and so I
Yash Sinojia
I was so curious to read this as the adaptation directed by David Fincher is one of my most favourite movies of all time ...
The book usually is written beautifully by F. Scott Fitzgerald is certainly missing the point, I mean it revolves around the social issues with Benjamin - born old and getting younger but it lacks the adventure and romance which is described in the movie, which is so necessary to provoke fascination and emotional connection with the central character in a curious case.
The m
huzeyfe
May 12, 2015 huzeyfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bir solukta okunabilecek bir kitap. Yakın zamanda Muhteşem Gatsby'i okumak istiyorum o nedenle o kitap için bir hazırlık olsun diye okudum.

Fikir olarak çok güzel bir kitap. Zaten filmini de yaptılar ama kitabı okuduktan sonra bu kadar sade ve kısa bir kitaptan nasıl o kadar uzun ve görece yavaş tempolu bir film çıkardılar merak ettim doğrusu.

Genelde kitaplar filmlerden daha güzel olur. Öyle olmasaydı filmler kitaplardan uyarlanmaz tam tersi kitaplar filmlerden yazılırdı ama sanırım burada tersin
Lavinia
Jan 01, 2009 Lavinia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, fiction, in-en
An interesting and pretty original idea. Since it's a story, it moves quite rapidly through Benjamin's life, but you get the point. It reminded me of Eliade's novella, Youth without youth, except in that one the old man gets younger right away, struck by lightening.

Too bad the movie sucks. I successfully wasted almost 3 hours of my life to see a brilliant idea transformed into a cheap love story that has (almost) nothing to do with Fitzgerald's original story.
Marty :}
Dec 21, 2016 Marty :} rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I've read this in the train for like an hour, I didn't even realise when I was finished with it. It's very interesting, the concept is very interesting and something I've never read about before. To be honest, I think that if Fitzgerald made it longer, it could have been his best novel out there.
Dulce Espinosa
Pues no me gustaron todos los relatos por eso 3 estrellas. No sé por qué casi no me gustó, si disfruté The Great Gatsby mucho, hasta pensaba releerlo en este mes... pero no va a pasar jajajaja
Justė
Oct 18, 2016 Justė rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, classics
One of the rare cases where the film is better than the book. I remember liking the film a lot, whereas the story was a bit dry.
Oct 07, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this short story! Darn near perfect to me.
  • The Night at the Museum
  • Memento mori
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Beyond Lies the Wub
  • Memento
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” 2904 likes
“Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.” 929 likes