Games for Writing: Playful Ways to Help Your Child Learn to Write

Games for Writing: Playful Ways to Help Your Child Learn to Write

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  12 reviews
There is no skill more important for a child to master more than writing - and none more difficult or fraught with anxiety. Peggy Kaye, renowned teacher and author of the widely praised Games for Math, Games for Reading, and Games for Learning, now gives parents more than fifty ways to help their children become skilled, confident, and enthusiastic writers.
Published August 31st 1995 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published August 1st 1995)

Jenny
Great resource for parents...as well as teachers. So many ways to make writing fun for young kids (aimed for K-3rd grade).... many ideas could be adapted for use in school (and in fact she gives suggestions of how to do that). The activities are engaging and usually only require materials you'd have readily available in your home (pencil/pen/paper/some dice/construction paper, etc.) I've tried a couple out with my own children and 2 activities out with my students.

A few ideas that I'd like to t...more
Amy
I recommend all her books. I find them to work very well for B.'s needs. Many of her activities seems like they would work as enrichment for some students and "remedial" (I hate that term) work for other students. In other words, they are very adaptable. Some of them frankly take more work than I can always give (making up board games, etc.) but others are so simple and effective. I have most of her books (Games for Writing, Reading, Math and Learning) and use them all. I also used her "Games wi...more
Dietmom
I adore this book!! My kids and I have had so much fun playing writing games-especially at the early stages when my boys detested writing--I could get them writing volumes with some of these games--where writing one word in other instances would bring them to tears. Can't say enough good about this one!!
Christina
I really like these Games for. . . books by Kaye. They remind me of the importance of trying to keep learning fun. The book takes your children through about a 3rd-grade-level of writing, with ideas to help them enjoy it along the way. I'll definitely continue to refer back to this book.
Moriah
My son (second grade) gets hung up on spelling accurately and not being able to quickly write down the thoughts in his head, so he generally grumbles over writing assignments. This book has some really great ways to get a reluctant child writing without worry.
Dawn Huff
I LOVE THIS BOOK! I know this because I have checked it out of the library at least 4 times in the past year. It has so many fun ideas for writing "games"! I don't know why I haven't purchased it yet! I am going to have to put this one on my wish list!
Jane H
Love this, what wonderful ways to help children find enjoyment in writing! My son doesn't do so well with contrived ideas so I'm trying to store these ideas in my brain, for retrieval at just the right spontaneous time.
Melissa
This helped us through a really tough time when my sone HATED to write. The games in here are quite fun and distracting enough that he didn't realize he was doing "writing".
Alicia
I really like all the different areas of focus, and the different levels. No matter where your child is at, there is a game for them so they can improve.
Andrea
Great resource if you have a reluctant writer. Full of ideas that will have you slapping your forehead going " Why didn't I think of that?!"
Evelyn Repass
This is a great collections of games to occupy time and create interest and help cultivate a thrill for writing.
Nicole
Borrowed from the library... Now buying my own copy... ;)
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Muneera
Muneera marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Peggy Kaye has a master's degree in early childhood education from Columbia University's Teacher's College, and has taught in both public and private elementary schools in New York City.
More about Peggy Kaye...
Games for Reading Games for Math Games for Learning: Ten Minutes a Day to Help Your Child Do Well in School—From Kindergarten to Third Grade Games with Books: Twenty-eight of the Best Children's Books and How to Use Them to Help Your Child Learn—From Preschool to Third Grade Games for Learning