Start by marking “Believe: A Horseman's Journey” as Want to Read:
Believe: A Horseman's Journey

Believe: A Horseman's Journey

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In his bestselling The Faraway Horses, Buck Brannaman, extraordinary trainer and acknowledged inspiration for The Horse Whispererer, described how he found his calling and honed his art and craft. Following the book's widespread acclaim, the universal application of Brannaman's approach to interpersonal relationships has struck a responsive chord in the equestrian communit
Published September 1st 2006 by Lyons Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Believe

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
82nd out of 758 books — 472 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
Best Horse Books
67th out of 278 books — 242 voters

More lists with this book...

Lea
Very fast read, probably most interesting for fans of Buck Brannaman.

I recently discovered Mr. Brannaman from the documentary, "Buck", which I found moving and fascinating. His work with horses is wonderful, and his personal story is very touching.

I was disappointed this book wasn't a how-to book, describing Buck's techniques for working with horses, rather it details the experiences of several people who have worked with him, learning to communicate better with their own horses.

Some of the sto
Chrissy
Aug 07, 2012 Chrissy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All adults
Recommended to Chrissy by: N/A
Though I make an honest effort to utilize the services of our local public library system, once in awhile I find myself in honest "need" of owning a copy of a book borrowed from such an institution. This is one such book.

Raised as an only child in the country, pets and the animals in nature fulfilled roles as siblings in my life, and allowed me to acquire a deep understanding of their souls. This book is a collection of twelve accounts from individuals who encountered Buck Brannaman through the
Donna
To call this book an autobiography is grossly misleading. It isn't about his life at all. It is more about the people who took his seminars to learn about how to bond with their own horses and to fix the problematic ones. This book contained quite a few success stories. His methods worked for them and their horses.

As I started this, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, but as the success stories began to roll out, I fell into its stride. I did end u
Misteeyed
Couldn't engage my interest. I didn't finish the book.
Kelly
I thought this was all fluff! I really enjoyed reading Buck's first book, The Faraway Horses and really liked Buck the movie. I was looking forward to reading this book and thought since each chapter was about overcoming a specific issue he would talk about how to work through those issues. Instead, it was a series of stories people had written Buck about how great he is and how they helped to changed their lives prefaced by Buck's commentary on the story. There is nothing deep or substantial to ...more
Karen
Buck Brannaman does amazing work and all his books and videos are important. This is a great book for horse people about how relationships with horses teach about life. I enjoyed the individual vignettes.
Traecy
Interesting...wasn't familiar with it, just accidentally clicked on it and decided to listen anyway. There are some good messages in here.
C.J. Darlington
I really enjoyed this book. It's a collection of stories people have shared about being impacted by Buck at his clinics. His introductions to the stories themselves were also inspiring. Great for any horse lover, but they're also encouraging for folks in all walks of life.
Natalie
Buck is such an incredible person and the impact he has had on so many horses and humans is amazing. You don't have to be a "horse" person to enjoy this book, as there are so many life lessons to be learned from the interactions of the human and the horse.
This isn't just for those who are looking for insight on working better with their horses--there is great stuff here that applies to getting along with people, including the value of humility and the importance of learning to yield.
Thimbleberry
I listened on audio, and quite enjoyed it. Not sure if everyone would be interested if they had never heard of him before. If you have then you probably want to hear any scraps of insight this man has, and so will be thrilled.
Pam
What a gem! Love the dual narrators for a truly exceptional audio book version. Fabulous stories by the original "Horse Whisperer". Loved the writing style - Buck's intro to each story, then the perspective of the horse owner.
Brooke
I can't get enough of Buck Brannaman so I was excited to read this book. Buck writes half the book and the other half are stories from his students in how working with their horses has changed their personal lives.
Nikki Neiswinter
What can I say, I love Buck. The book was an easy read with lots of great stories. He has definitely found his niche in this world, with horses that is.
Sharon Aubrey
This book was not as good as faraway horses. Its primarily told by people who've attended Buck's clinics. Its not bad but wasn't what I was hoping for.
Irene
I loved the movie"Buck" and hoped for more insight into the process Brannaman uses in working with horses. Didn't find what I was looking for...
Kim Vandrisse
Very good book, anything by Buck is great for anyone wanting to ride in harmony with their horse(s).
Corien
Liked the story, but the book was too "promotional/buy all my other stuff and book a clinic".
Chris
Wow - lots of life lessons. Looking forward to attending my first Brannaman clinic.
Krista Knigge
Quick read- It's as much about fixing broken people as broken horses.
Andrea
Oct 09, 2009 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everrbody
You don't have to be a cowgirl to enjoy this book. But if you treat pets or animals in general with disdain or with the attitude that they are property or employees you might not get it.
Darren
Darren is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Erin Groover
Erin Groover marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Annie Black
Annie Black marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Audiobooks: Audiobook Giveaway for Horse Lovers 1 35 May 10, 2012 11:04AM
  • Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
  • Centered Riding
  • Horses Never Lie about Love: The Heartwarming Story of a Remarkable Horse Who Changed the World Around Her
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • True Horsemanship Through Feel
  • The Art of Horsemanship
  • Shy Boy: The Horse That Came in from the Wild
  • Riding Between the Worlds: Expanding Our Potential Through the Way of the Horse
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • How to Think Like a Horse: Essential Insights for Understanding Equine Behavior and Building an Effective Partnership with Your Horse
  • Beautiful Jim Key: The Lost History of a Horse and a Man Who Changed the World
  • Mustang: The Saga of the Wild Horse in the American West
  • Equus: The Creation of a Horse (Evergreens)
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • The Complete Training of Horse and Rider in the Principles of Classical Horsemanship
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Hold Your Horses: Nuggets of Truth for People Who Love Horses...No Matter What
  • Horses Don't Lie: What Horses Teach Us About Our Natural Capacity for Awareness, Confidence, Courage, and Trust
A horse trainer and a leading practitioner within the field of natural horsemanship, which is a philosophy of working with horses based on the idea of working with the horse's nature, using an understanding of how horses think and communicate to train the horse to accept humans and work confidently and responsively with them. One of Brannaman's stated goals is to make the animal feel safe and secu ...more
More about Buck Brannaman...
The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen Groundwork: The First Impression Ranch Roping: The Complete Guide to a Classic Cowboy Skill 7 Clinics with Buck Brannaman: 5-6-7 Problem Solving Buck Brannaman - Horseman aus Leidenschaft (German Edition)