Start by marking “Groups: Process and Practice” as Want to Read:
Groups: Process and Practice

Groups: Process and Practice

This book is intended for graduate and undergraduate students majoring in counseling, social work, counseling psychology, and human services who are taking courses in group work. (According to a recent e-survey of 102 faculty members teaching this course, the split between undergraduate and graduate courses is 46% undergraduate, 51% graduate, and 1% Ph.D.) It is designed a ...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Thomson Brooks/Cole (first published January 28th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Groups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groups

Maide Karzaoğlu
Hastanede grup terapilerine başlamadan önce detaylı bilgi için okuduğum pek çok kitaptan en başarılısı. Tam bir rehber kitap. Daima elimin altında olmasına özen göstereceğim.
Aimee J Martin
This was my textbook for Group Therapy. This is never going to be my specialty field of study, but I am glad to have read it.

It touches on every aspect of group therapy from theories to various types of groups, to being the group leader/counselor/co-leader, developing your own group, ethical and legal group therapy issues, confidentiality issues, the leader's role within the group and their limits and boundaries, and much more.

Very basic and reader-friendly. A lot to soak up in 8 weeks! Was a ve
Jon De
Jan 24, 2013 Jon De rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
They need to learn to shorten what they say. Constantly repeating themselves does not make them sound smarter or more intellecutal. Get to the point. Chapters are entirly to long and you can loose the point of the chapter by time your halfway through.
Angela
Sep 06, 2007 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really sure how to review a textbook. I found the DVD that went along with the book the most helpful part of the package.
Scott Whitney
May 16, 2013 Scott Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good text which describes the attributes and skills needed to be a group leader in psychological counseling.
Ashley
Apr 03, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok
Shelves: counseling-books
Typical Corey & Corey textbook. It had a lot of useful information. Pretty expensive book though, definitely not worth how much I paid for it.
Marcus
Corey & Corey set out to consolidate their years of group therapy experience into a shorter reference material. Their end product is Groups: Process and Practice, which behaves somewhat like a reference text. The authors’ experience shines brightly throughout the text. Mixed with the reference feel, the text features strong elements that mentor, guide, and share stories. The authors write with confidence and authority; any reader quickly gets the sense that the authors speak from the chair o ...more
Dana
Jul 08, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: counseling
Definitely one of the easier and more pleasant reads for my school counseling program. I enjoyed the many examples and real-life applications they provided. This was actually the first book in my program that I have done extensive highlighting in! Someone complained that the Coreys repeat their information a lot but I rather preferred that about the book. I didn't feel that it insulted my intelligence, but I was going with the knowledge that if it is repeated, it is likely incredibly important. ...more
Carolynne
Aug 26, 2013 Carolynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Well written text, and full of valuable information for the future counselor, although the Coreys do tend to go on and on and repeat themselves as if they were being paid by the word. It can be very challenging to stay focused as the chapters seem to go on forever, and easy to miss valuable insights as your eyes glaze over.

The last few chapters include plans for running many types of groups. The DVD of actual group sessions, with the Corey's adding commentary after each session were the truly h
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health, how-to
This is a very good one, readable and full of concrete ideas on how to proceed with running a group rather than a lot of high-flown jargon that has nothing to do with real life. I'll refer back to this one often.
Sammie
Oct 18, 2012 Sammie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
There is so much to think about when it comes to psychology. There are so many ethical rules to follow, there are certain ways that a group leader has to act and participate in the group. The role of a group leader is very important. One day I hope to be this good!
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
A great new edition to add to the older version. I love this team of authors and think they are the best in their field. Very useful information and I know I will refer to this numerous times in the future.
Ms Bryan
Jun 17, 2009 Ms Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has prepared me to lead some pretty awesome groups during the school year. Lots of ideas on how to get the students to do the work and I only mediate and facilitate to make sure they understand.
Danny Bennett
Aug 10, 2011 Danny Bennett rated it it was ok
The Coreys are fun to watch, but not fun to read. Never really finished it.
Jamie Rogers
Dec 11, 2011 Jamie Rogers rated it really liked it
Kindle Edition, lacking content and no longer on the market.
Adriana
Jul 08, 2015 Adriana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Corey textbook, overall great for students attempting to understand counseling and its interesting dynamics.
Rachel
Jan 18, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
Another classic by the Doctors Corey , very helpful for group work.
Alison
Feb 08, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Useful for learning about different ways of leading groups, especially in its overview of different theories.
Amy
Apr 29, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
I actually have another edition, but its essentially the same book I had in grad school.
Lindy
Good list of basics to know about leading Group therapy. Better as a reference than straight-through read, perhaps.
Jackie
Apr 27, 2016 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
A good update - worth reading even if you have read other editions for that reason.
Tamara
Sep 18, 2013 Tamara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for beginning therapists.
Val
Val rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2017
Katie Heaton
Katie Heaton rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Thedoctorboy
Thedoctorboy rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Eric Blommel
Eric Blommel rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Harry Speer
Harry Speer rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Tasha Ramnauth
Tasha Ramnauth rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
nitisha burkhead
nitisha burkhead rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
  • Intentional Interviewing and Counseling: Facilitating Client Development in a Multicultural Society
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • Current Psychotherapies
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV
  • Inpatient Group Psychotherapy
  • Conjoint Family Therapy
  • Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • The Marriage Clinic - A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy (Norton Professional Books (Hardcover))
  • Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry (Colophon Books)
  • Family Therapy: Concepts and Methods
  • Crisis Intervention Strategies
  • Exploring Lifespan Development
  • Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study
  • The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping
  • Theories for Direct Social Work Practice

“one of the great gifts of our profession is that the process
of doing what we do allows us to become better human beings.”
0 likes