Start by marking “Groups: Process and Practice” as Want to Read:
Groups: Process and Practice

Groups: Process and Practice

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This book is intended for graduate and undergraduate students majoring in counseling, social work, counseling psychology, and human services who are taking courses in group work. (According to a recent e-survey of 102 faculty members teaching this course, the split between undergraduate and graduate courses is 46% undergraduate, 51% graduate, and 1% Ph.D.) It is designed a ...more
Published November 25th 2008 by Thomson Brooks/Cole (first published January 28th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Groups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Groups

Aimee J Martin
This was my textbook for Group Therapy. This is never going to be my specialty field of study, but I am glad to have read it.

It touches on every aspect of group therapy from theories to various types of groups, to being the group leader/counselor/co-leader, developing your own group, ethical and legal group therapy issues, confidentiality issues, the leader's role within the group and their limits and boundaries, and much more.

Very basic and reader-friendly. A lot to soak up in 8 weeks! Was a ve
Jon De
They need to learn to shorten what they say. Constantly repeating themselves does not make them sound smarter or more intellecutal. Get to the point. Chapters are entirly to long and you can loose the point of the chapter by time your halfway through.
Ashley
Typical Corey & Corey textbook. It had a lot of useful information. Pretty expensive book though, definitely not worth how much I paid for it.
Angela
I'm not really sure how to review a textbook. I found the DVD that went along with the book the most helpful part of the package.
Dana
Definitely one of the easier and more pleasant reads for my school counseling program. I enjoyed the many examples and real-life applications they provided. This was actually the first book in my program that I have done extensive highlighting in! Someone complained that the Coreys repeat their information a lot but I rather preferred that about the book. I didn't feel that it insulted my intelligence, but I was going with the knowledge that if it is repeated, it is likely incredibly important. ...more
Carolynne
Well written text, and full of valuable information for the future counselor, although the Coreys do tend to go on and on and repeat themselves as if they were being paid by the word. It can be very challenging to stay focused as the chapters seem to go on forever, and easy to miss valuable insights as your eyes glaze over.

The last few chapters include plans for running many types of groups. The DVD of actual group sessions, with the Corey's adding commentary after each session were the truly h
Sammie
There is so much to think about when it comes to psychology. There are so many ethical rules to follow, there are certain ways that a group leader has to act and participate in the group. The role of a group leader is very important. One day I hope to be this good!
Melissa Lee-tammeus
A great new edition to add to the older version. I love this team of authors and think they are the best in their field. Very useful information and I know I will refer to this numerous times in the future.
Ms Bryan
This book has prepared me to lead some pretty awesome groups during the school year. Lots of ideas on how to get the students to do the work and I only mediate and facilitate to make sure they understand.
Lindy
Good list of basics to know about leading Group therapy. Better as a reference than straight-through read, perhaps.
Alison
Useful for learning about different ways of leading groups, especially in its overview of different theories.
Natalie
Nov 24, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Therapists who will do group therapy
Really good intro into Group Therapy and its protocol, expectations, stages and examples.
Amy
I actually have another edition, but its essentially the same book I had in grad school.
Danny Bennett
The Coreys are fun to watch, but not fun to read. Never really finished it.
Rachel
Another classic by the Doctors Corey , very helpful for group work.
Jamie Rogers
Kindle Edition, lacking content and no longer on the market.
Tamara
Good book for beginning therapists.
Alyson Drake
Alyson Drake is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2014
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Intentional Interviewing and Counseling: Facilitating Client Development in a Multicultural Society
  • Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice
  • Current Psychotherapies
  • Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV
  • Play Therapy: The Art of the Relationship
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping
  • Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change
  • An Introduction to the History of Psychology
  • The Marriage Clinic: A Scientifically Based Marital Therapy
  • Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry
  • Art Is a Way of Knowing
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • Race, Class, and Gender in the United States: An Integrated Study
  • A Celebration of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God's Gift of Sexual Intimacy
  • Relationships: How to Make Bad Relationships Better and Good Relationships Great
Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy Issues and Ethics in the Helping Professions Theory and Practice of Group Counseling Student Manual for Corey's Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 7th I Never Knew I Had a Choice: Explorations in Personal Growth [With Infotrac]