Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell, #6)

Close Enough To Kill (Griffin Powell #6)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,588 ratings  ·  76 reviews
Close enough to touch...
He's their secret admirer, wooing them with phone calls, love letters, and special gifts. From a distance, he admires them. Desires them. Despises them. And when he gets close enough, he kills them all.

Close enough to kiss...
Adams County, Alabama, is a small, friendly place where everyone knows each other - but not well enough, it seems, because...more
Mass Market Paperback, 438 pages
Published July 1st 2006 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Close Enough To Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Enough To Kill

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
395th out of 1,290 books — 1,631 voters
Bone Crossed by Patricia BriggsIron Kissed by Patricia BriggsMoon Called by Patricia BriggsBlood Bound by Patricia BriggsThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Best Books Read in 2009
28th out of 122 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Christa
Close Enough to Kill was another great book by Beverly Barton. It is a romantic suspense novel that is definitely heavier on the suspense, but still has a satisfying romance. The hero and heroine were both great, thoroughly likeable characters, and they were well suited to one another. I enjoyed the way that their relationship slowly developed with friendship coming first. The storyline was interesting, with a suspenseful plot that kept me captivated.

Jim Norton is a detective who leaves the Memp...more
Michelle (meshe)
Author: Beverly Barton
Finished: 03/15/09
Synopsis:

Close Enough To Touch

He’s their secret admirer, wooing them with phone calls, love letters, and special gifts. From a distance, he admires them. Desires them. Despises them. And when he gets close enough, he kills them all.

Close Enough To Kiss

Adams County, Alabama, is a small, friendly place where everyone knows each other -- but not well enough, it seems, because Sheriff Bernie Granger has a serial killer on her hands, a total psycho who stalks,...more
Michelle
The previous Beverly Barton book I read was 'Killing Her Softly' and I really enjoyed it. So going into 'Close Enough to Kill' I had bigger expectations, and 'Close Enough to Kill' quickly fell short.

My biggest frustration with it was I'd figured out the "who dunnit" part of the book very quickly, and ended up just page turning to see if indeed my prediction came true--and it did. I also felt there were to many victims. Since the villain lured each of his victims the same way it was like re-read...more
Sandy
Beverly Barton has the same theme to every book. I think she should do something new and unexpected. For this book, she did a good job of making you guess the suspect. I did manage to guess at once but then there were others that came along to make me second-guess it. Good mystery. 3/5 stars.
Kathrynn
I found this to be a wonderful suspense-thriller with a dash of romance. There are some intense and rather graphic scenes, so this may not be for the faint of heart. It was a page turner for me.
Barbara ★
This book starts out with the brutal rape of Stephanie Preston. Unfortunately for Stephanie this is not the first time she's been raped since she was taken. The killer keeps them for weeks and gets progressively more brutal until he kills them. If you can't read about rape, then do yourself a favor and skip this book. It is about a serial rapist/killer and is very graphic.

Having said that, I must also say it's a really good story with really great characters. I particularly liked Bernie and Jim....more
Netha
kali ini bercerita ttg jim norton, kapten jim norton, detective yg menyelidiki kasusus pembunuhan di buku 1 (killing her softly) yg sekarang pindah ke adam county, alabama mengikuti puteranya, kevin yg diajak sang ibu, mantan istri jim.

ditempatnya yg baru jim menjadi kepala deputi bagian investigasi kriminal. atasan baru jim adalah sheriff bernie granger, seorang wanita.
bernie ini ternyata mengidolakan jim sejak jim & griff masih mrp bintang UT university.

ditempatnya yg baru Jim langsung men...more
Hobby
Editor : Mayan Kalingi
Cover by www.expertoha.com | © photographer : Jean Schweitzer
Cetakan I : September 2008 ; 528 hlm
Rate : 4 of 5

Adams County, Alabama – sebuah kota kecil yang tenang, terusik dengan adanya peristiwa hilangnya seorang wanita muda bernama Stephanie Preston yang baru menikah selama 5 bulan, saat ia berada di k...more
Holly
I would like to start this review off with a large and loud I CALLED IT! I feel quite proud that the murderer ended up being one of the roughly three people I had pegged for it. And I know, I probably don't have any right to say "I called it" when I still had two other possible suspects, but it's better than usual for me.

Jim Norton decides he's going to this podunk town in Alabama so he can be closer to the son he barely ever sees and gets wound up in a new serial killer and the sheriff.

I think...more
Mackenzie
This is the second novel I've read by Beverly Barton. It's the second book in the Griffin Powell saga. But Griffin wasn't really in this one as much as he was in the last. I've been reading this saga thingy backwards. I started with The Murder Game cause I didn't realize that the characters really began three books earlier.

I really enjoyed this novel. There was just enough suspense and mystery to keep my curiosity piqued and enough romance and stuff to keep me from being.. bored in a sense. I c...more
Julie Haigh
Sep 07, 2013 Julie Haigh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes crime books eg Richard Montanari/Karin Slaughter
Recommended to Julie by: a friend
This is the first Beverly Barton book I have read-I had never heard of her but someone I knew was reading it and I thought it sounded good so I gave it a go. I looked on Beverly Barton's website and saw that she writes books under the 'Silhouette' label-I thought 'oh no' because I thought these were similar to Mills and Boon. Luckily this didn't put me off because I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of her writing and I will definitely read another of her books. I have read all Richar...more
Kristen
If you love steamy romantic suspense novels, you'll love this one from the late Beverly Barton, who passed away almost a year ago this April. In Adams Landing, Alabama, there's a serial killer on the loose, who's admiring women from afar, leaving presents and ghastly sketches. Once he kidnapped them, he tortures and raped them for a week to two weeks ago, and kills them. It's up to Bernadette "Bernie" Granger, the new Sheriff, and her new deputy sheriff, Jim Norton, formerly from the Nashville P...more
Chelsea McWhirk
May 08, 2008 Chelsea McWhirk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Absolutely everyone.
Recommended to Chelsea by: Found it at the store
This is an excellent book. I can't stress enough how entartaining it was and how well it kept my interest. A serial killer finds women, and tortures them. It is every womans worst nightmare. After abducting a woman, the serial killer rapes them and makes them say they love him, until he moves on to his next victim. When he finds a new victim, he'll make the woman beg to be "set free" and then they are killed. Sherriff Granger and Lead Investigator Norton are both committed to this case and as th...more
Ivy
This is book 2 of the Griffin Powell series. This one has a serial killer who thinks that each of his victims are his lovers...he courts them as a secret admirer before letting them know who he is.

This book is very well written and kept me turning the pages and wanting to see how the police would figure out who the killer was and how they captured him. My only negative things is that although it is part of the Griffin Powell series you do not hear about Griffin until the book is over half done...more
Afsana
Nada Saleh
Had Beverly Barton been in the same room as me whilst I was reading this, then she would have been Close Enough To Kill - top book!
Lindsey
okay this was dark. my first clue was the rape within a couple of pages - a really clear indication that more brutality would follow.

i pressed on because i found the protagonist to be engagingly atypical. female sheriffs always do it for me - i guess there's a part of me that just roots for the tough chick. ha

whenever a killer's identity is completely camouflaged by deep-seeded craziness, i feel frustrated. a reader can't solve the mystery unless *some* kind of clue is dropped, you know? so if...more
Rosalind
Another great book by my new favorite author!! I have loved everything I have read so far and highly recommend Beverly Barton to anyone who likes a good thriller. Even though I picked the killer very early in the book, as soon as he was introduced, there were enuf twists and turns through out the plot to have me second guessing myself. But in the end, turns out I was right!! Great characters with Jim and Bernie though, and I look forward to my next Barton book. I read recently that she had passe...more
DeeNee Tuwanakotta
Ceritanya sendiri ga jauh beda ama novel Barton yg laen

Pemuja rahasia yg membunuh wanita dgn tipe2 fisik tertentu akibat dari trauma masa lalu
Trauma nya ya ga laen ga bukan pelecehan seksual di waktu kecil

Wanita2 ini di pilih, kemudian di kasih berbagai hadiah plus sketsa2 gambar yg mengerikan sebelum akhirnya di culik dan di sekap

Dan dah 2 buku yg gw baca ternyata pelakunya malah aparat hukum nya sendiri

Cuma utk buku yg ini, gw sempet nyuri2 baca halaman2 akhirnya utk tau siapa sih pelakunya .....more
Dpic
Feb 03, 2014 Dpic added it
enjoyable
Notingnothing
Picked this up in the supermarket - hadn't heard of this author before.

Story of a serial killer dubbed "The Secret Admirer" who stalks young women with gifts and drawings before kidnapping, torturing and murdering them. The local sherriff and her newest recruit are trying to catch him.

A weird one this - a bizarre cross between a gory thriller and Mills & Boon. If you can get past the latter, it makes for a compulsive read.
Sandhya
Beverly Barton is one of my favorite romantic suspense authors. And im a big fan of the genre so much that for a whole month I was only reading suspense novels. Close enough to kill was a good one...with a very good suspense and a nice romance. I loved both Bernie and Jim and their romance which was slow to build, first friendship then love. Would really read some of the other books from the series.
Lisa
Suspenseful and one of those "watch your back" types of thrillers. I have to admit, I would never read thrillers anywhere by myself. Why? Because I'd be scared to death. Books like this one has that kind of effect in the writing style, yet I still read them. I don't know why, but they tempt me. Dare me to read them even. Maybe it's the suspense that beckons. Who knows until you actually turn the page and start reading.
Lauren
Jan 21, 2013 Lauren added it
There was quite of a lot of sex in here. Like enough that I felt a little dirty reading it. The romance sub-plot was so super unnecessary cheese-fest that it almost ruined the book for me but the murder mystery part was enough to redeem it. This is a good beach read but don't read it on a plane because your seat mate will almost definitely look over and catch the dirty parts. (And they are dirrrrty)
Kristina
It started out good and after reading one book that was slow and dull i was excited but then the book seems to run longer then it should and author seemed to ruined it the longer it went after a certain ponit and just like. "oh just be over already'. I was more happy that it ended then the lile fairytale happy ended that just seemed to suck because it was just too drawn out.
Kim
I bought this last night...and where I work overnights I spent all night reading. I couldn't put it don't until I finished at almost noon today. It has some graphic and disturbing parts but over all and EXCELLENT book. I had a few nightmares about this after I went to sleep today and it still sends a chill down my spine to think of the book. Highly recommend!!!
Jamie
I'm not far along in this book and I'm reading it on my Kindle so I have no idea what page I'm on but I'm enjoying it alot. I never try to figure out who the killer is and would rather be surprised than know at the very beginning. From what I've read so far, I would recommend this book and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
nurmawati
Penny
This author has a fantastic ability to give you just enough information to keep you guessing and never quite enough for you to get it right! She teases you throughout with cleverly disguised red herrings. This book is fast-paced, solidly built and with a romance so realistic that you feel it.
♥ Nell ♥
Really liked this one! The suspense was good... I guessed who the killer was, but throughout I was second guessing myself.
I enjoyed the characters... though I hated Jim's first reaction to Robyn.
Not a book for the faint hearted, some of the violence was really graphic.
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2)
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
  • Take Me Tonight (Bullet Catcher, #3)
  • Have You Seen Her? (Romantic Suspense, #2)
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
Beverly Marie Inman was born on 23 December 1946 in Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA. Daughter of Doris Marie and Walter D. Inman Jr. A born romantic, she fell in love with The Beauty and the Beast epic at an early age, when her grandfather bought her an illustrated copy of the famous fairy tale. Even before she learned to read and write, her vivid imagination created magical words and fabulous characters...more
More about Beverly Barton...
The Dying Game (Griffin Powell, #7) Dead By Midnight (Griffin Powell #11) The Murder Game (Griffin Powell, #8) After Dark (Griffin Powell, #1) Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)