Start by marking “All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms” as Want to Read:
All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms

All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms

Full-color illustrated guide to identifying 200 Western mushrooms by their key features.
Published February 1st 1991 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about All That the Rain Promises and More, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That the Rain Promises and More

Dan Schwent
Jul 05, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
Shelves: birhday-2010, 2010
All That the Rain Promises, and More is a great guide for Mushroom hunters in the western half of the US and is both informative and hilarious. Each mushroom picture is accompanied by a description and a list of key features (including edibility). There are sidebar topics including recipes and a people's tales of epic mushroom hunts. The pictures of mushroom hunters are fairly funny. It seems like each one features a big beard, big hair, or both.

The humor is a big selling point for me. I laughe
Tasia
Jul 28, 2013 Tasia rated it it was amazing
Alright, first of all, THE COVER. This pretty much explains it all; this book was compiled by a man who adores mushrooms, is filled with pictures of fungi fanatics wearing caps, dancing through the woods, playing flutes... I showed this to my mother who simply went, "Ah, the 60's. And 70's." All this juxtaposed with stories inspired by their extreme love of various fungus, but despite the silliness, this guide does everything it can to be a very serious reference. Identifications are concise yet ...more
Ken-ichi
Jun 23, 2010 Ken-ichi rated it it was amazing
This book is the field companion to the stay-at-home-tome Mushrooms Demystified: A Comprehensive Guide to the Fleshy Fungi, but don't let its mycena-thin silhouette confuse you: it's just as packed to the gills with useful knowledge, zany stories, and pictures of crazy mushrooms and crazier mushroom-lovers as its girthy sibling. This book stays in my hiking bag from November to March. I've beat my copy up mercilessly, but the binding and pages are sturdy. Couldn't ask for much more in a regional ...more
Nidia
Mar 11, 2014 Nidia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
These days I don't leave home without this. Really. This book helped me identify the mysterious mushies growing in the wood chip surrounding the old Victorian I work in. Turns out, it was delicious lepiota rachodes!

Any who, there are mushrooms all over my work place (college campus) and I mostly have this bounty all to myself. This book is really handy while I walk around the campus. It literally fits in all (but one) of my jeans back pockets. Any mushroom I find that I need more info on, I bri
Mila
Nov 30, 2015 Mila rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to the Metchosin Mycological Society for recommending this book. Aurora really does celebrate the FUN in fungi. It's a cute little hippy hip book too. His quick key to mushrooms on the inside covers is easy to follow. The book is sprinkled with fun things like this:
In a forest feckless fungophile Fred
Had a thief point a gun at his head
"Keep your jewels and gold!"
Said the highwayman bold,
"I'll take your basket of Boletes instead!" - Charles Sutton

I was happy to be reacquainted
Missy
Feb 04, 2008 Missy rated it it was amazing
If you're at all interested in foraging for mushrooms, this is your book. It's very easy to use, very well-written, very informative, and very entertaining. I have used it as not only a field guide, but also as bedtime reading, as a cookbook, and as inspiration for mushroom adventures. The simple key is clear, and the author gives you specific guidelines for knowing (or not knowing) that you've found an edible or otherwise interesting fungus.

Combined with some hands-on guidance (whether from you
James Mize
Nov 11, 2013 James Mize rated it really liked it
The best thing going for this guide is that it fits in a hip pocket. Meant to be brought out to the field, the photos and descriptions make it easy for a novice to determine whether that specimen is tasty or questionable. Easy to identify the easy species, but for more advanced identification, look to his Mushrooms Demystified, conveniently cross-referenced.
Erin Panjer
Jul 29, 2011 Erin Panjer rated it it was amazing
This is the most eccentric little pocket guide to mushrooms I have ever seen. It includes, not only what is edible and not, but which mushrooms make good dyes, with examples as well as recipes for specific varieties of mushrooms. With extra bonus goodies like short stories, memories of long time mushroom hunters and a few poems. It is the most readable and memorable guide I've seen.
Aubrey
Nov 04, 2012 Aubrey rated it it was amazing
This mushroom reference book is fantastic!! Well organized, excellent pics/descriptions/comparisons as well as personal hunting stories and hilarious photographs. I highly recommend it for beginner mushroom foragers - it'll get you even more excited about mushrooms than you already are, I'm sure.
Katrina
Jan 09, 2010 Katrina rated it it was amazing
this book is the shit
Ryan McKenzie
Jul 28, 2016 Ryan McKenzie rated it it was amazing
Yay mushrooms!!
Miyo
Jun 19, 2017 Miyo rated it really liked it
Excellent field guide, small enough to pack with good photos and basic info for edibles as well as other fungi IDs.
Rebecca Lyons
Feb 12, 2017 Rebecca Lyons rated it it was amazing
This little book was not only informative but highly entertaining. I've never been on a mushroom hunt before, but now I want to go.
John Orman
Sep 23, 2013 John Orman rated it really liked it
Great little guide to mushrooms, with many detailed photos and descriptive text, helped me identify many of the mushrooms I am seeing pop up all over my area of Oregon.
Also proved to me that I had *not* yet found my mushroom holy grail--a chanterelle! The book lists about five types, and even some "false chanterelles" that are not edible. Good to know!
Bill
Sep 06, 2010 Bill rated it really liked it
A wonderful guide to western mushroom hunting. Most creative natural history guide I've ever seen. Very entertaining and whacky humor, beautiful kooky photos of mushroom people.

And... unlike every other mushroom guide I've tried, I can actually follow the key in this one.

In my "read" shelf, I'm reading and rereading sections every week as I run across mushrooms. Not tired of it yet.
Paige
Mar 02, 2014 Paige rated it it was amazing
I picked this up from the library to preview it and now I know that I need to add it to my own library. I take people on nature walks sometimes on the college campus where I work and I know my native plants but I've been trying to learn to identify fungus. This is going to provide me with hours of entertainment once I add it to my own bookshelf.
Barnacle
Jan 02, 2008 Barnacle rated it really liked it
this book I have used as a reference mostly, and I do not own it, I go and check it out of the library.

Aside from it being a reference for identifying mushrooms, their are also amazing photos, interesting people, and some funny stories.

Worth owning. If you are interested in mushrooms, or learning more about them.
Nick Luchsinger
Apr 07, 2012 Nick Luchsinger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-hardcopy
This is mostly a reference book, so I'm really only reviewing the roughly 1/4 of if that I've actually used. If you ever plan on going mushroom hunting on the west coast of the US, I highly recommend this. Not that I've ever read another mushroom hunting book. But it's entertaining and, as far as I can tell, pretty intelligent and effective as a field guide.
Frank
Jul 05, 2016 Frank rated it it was amazing
A cult classic. A trusted friend in the woods. The book that keeps on giving. Expertly assembled, it reminds me of John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" for its combination of hard reference with whimsical fun. I've gotten my money's worth a hundred times over with my battered, notes-in-the-margin infested copy. Thank you David Aurora!
Benjamin Plume
Dec 28, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, nature
The strength of this book is in its anecdotes collected from mushroomers and scattered throughout the guide. Some are duds but most are quite amusing. I do find the descriptions slightly inferior to Audubon, but those in most nature guides are.
Katrina McCollough
Feb 14, 2013 Katrina McCollough rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
This book was the beginning of my love affair with mushrooms, a perfect, simple little pocketbook with awesome photos. This is really the only book I regret losing, and I can't wait to find it again in a store.
Chris Harrod
Feb 26, 2011 Chris Harrod rated it it was amazing
A great source for people looking for mushrooms on the west coast. It doesn't have every mushroom. Mushrooms demystified is more comprehensive but it doesn't fit in your pocket "All That the Rain Promises, and More."
Jen
Feb 16, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
Awesome, if geared toward California -- it doesn't have Oregon's state mushroom, the Pacific golden chanterelle! This is the only field guide that also counts as pleasure reading for all of its bizarre stories and observations.
Krista
Oct 04, 2014 Krista rated it really liked it
Excellent photos and descriptions. I really enjoyed all of the additional information like cooking and preserving tips, what mushrooms can be used for dyes etc. I liked the page annotations to Arora's Mushrooms Demystified for additional information.
Miriam
Jan 12, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it
Good for carrying around while going on mushroom forays on the pacific northwest coast. Not exhaustive, but gives enough basic information, until you can key mysterious mushrooms out in Mushrooms Demystified- David Arora's bible sized mushroom guide.
Samuel Fletcher
Jan 11, 2016 Samuel Fletcher rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent guide to the mushrooms west of the Mississippi. Small enough to throw in your bag with out lugging you down and very detailed. I would like to get his other book that is even more comprehensive.
Valerie
I should finish reading this book, but I keep putting it aside for other projects. It contains good
'field-guide' type info, but I got it for the title, and the language inside doesn't disappoint. NB: despite the title, it won't fit in your hip pocket unless you fold it.
Erin
Dec 28, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
A must have for Pacific Northwest Mushroom identification
Valerie
Jul 22, 2008 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Valerie by: Steve
Another in my vast collection of books about the history, flora, fauna and fungi of the Santa Cruz mountains. I have actually used this to find edible mushrooms and lived to tell the tale.
Meghan von Gremp
we are now mushroom hunting hippies.
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • The Mushroom Cultivator: A Practical Guide for Growing Mushrooms at Home
  • The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • Mycophilia: Revelations from the Weird World of Mushrooms
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees--W: Western Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Pacific Northwest (National Audubon Society Field Guides)
  • The Mushroom Hunters: On the Trail of Secrets, Eccentrics, and the American Dream
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Weather: North America
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • The Handy Science Answer Book
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • Skywatching
David Arora (born October 23, 1952) is an American mycologist, naturalist, and writer. He is the author of two popular books on mushroom identification, Mushrooms Demystified and All That the Rain Promises and More....

Arora first developed an interest in wild mushrooms while growing up in Pasadena, California and organized his first mushroom collecting group while in high school. He began teaching
More about David Arora...