Start by marking “A Dark History: The Roman Emperors” as Want to Read:
A Dark History: The Roman Emperors

A Dark History: The Roman Emperors (A Dark History Series)

Book on the Dark History of the Roman Emperors
Hardcover
Published September 1st 2008 by Amber Books (first published April 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Dark History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark History

Katherine 黄爱芬
Saya sudah membaca banyak Buku Sejarah Gelap series ini, tapi khusus buku ini masih bisa membuat saya takjub dan tercengang oleh perilaku-perilaku Super Ajaib Kaisar-Kaisar Romawi Kuno ini.

Dimulai dari kisah Julius Caesar dan berkuasanya Kaisar Romawi pertama mereka, Kaisar Agustus. Setiap kali terjadi pergantian kekuasaan, kaisar yg menggantikan selalu lebih bejat dan lebih parah daripada pendahulunya, terutama pada era Dinasti Julio-Claudian ini. Semua skandal dan intrik politik dan kerajaan
Marksfransen
Aug 31, 2011 Marksfransen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a pretty in depth look at the lives of Rome's first emperors. Augustus to Marcus Aurelius are covered pretty intensely and it was fascinating to read the backgrounds of these historical people. After Marcus Aurelius, only a few stand out Emperors are covered. I would have liked to have seen more about Constantine because of his impact on the world, but strangely, he isn't covered at all.
I Nyoman Dhimas Yudha Satria
Great Book,, But Too focused on the "Dark" Side...
And the Indonesian translation make it harder to read...
Still the pictures great...
And it tell the reader how "Dark" Roman empire was.
Scott Klemm
Aug 10, 2012 Scott Klemm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Dark History: The Roman Emperors is not a scholarly book with copious footnotes, but a popular history with plenty of illustrations and an engaging and easy-to-read writing style. As the first part of the title suggests, the emphasis is on the intrigues, murders, cruelty, unbridled extravagance and depravity of the Roman emperors. It makes for a fascinating read providing details one would never hear in the classroom. It also makes the scandals involving today’s politicians seem trivial in com ...more
David James
Dec 24, 2015 David James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kerrigan, Michael. Dark History of the Roman Emperors

What a ghastly crew of robbers, schemers and perverts! Hitler was an angel by comparison. This is a well-illustrated and attractively packaged account of the major Roman emperors from Julius Caesar to the Fall of Rome. It’s Gibbon revisited with a Horrible Histories slant that is the reverse of funny. ‘Never were the stakes higher, the passions fiercer or the politicking more murderous than they were at the imperial court,’ declares Kerrigan.
Julie
Feb 05, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I liked this book but the title is false. It does not continue through to the fall of Rome. It spends about a chapter on each Emperor (unless they didn't last long which happened often) until Elagabalus was killed in 222 C.E. Then the next 190 years are glossed over in a 4 page Epilogue. What? That's leaving out a whole lot of interesting and Dark stuff, and not even a mention of Constantine. Did the author hit his page limit and just stop? What is going on here, I feel cheated, like half my ...more
Indira Iljas
Oct 03, 2015 Indira Iljas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
what can i say about this book ??? yg pasti cm bs mengurut dada doang... gmn enggak dr kaisar pertama romawi smp yg terakhir sblm roma jatuh kw tangan bangsa visigothi, smua mental pemimpin nya hancur sehancur hancurnya. inses, nafsu seksual yg tiada henti dan cenderung kebinatangan smua menjadi satu. blm lg korupsi yg merajalela , konspirasi yg menjadi makanan shari2 seakan menguasai istana dan pembunuhan2 yg sangat2 sadis. di tambah perempuan2 yg gak mau kalah saing sama laki2. sy cm mikir kas ...more
Jana
Feb 12, 2012 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have decided that my current obsession with Roman Emperors is therapeutic during an election year. Perhaps I'll revisit it every 4 years.

This book was the perfect accompaniment to my reading of The Twelve Caesars and I, Claudius. It's full of photos of statues, ruins, coins, landscapes, reproductions of artwork. Some of the photographs take up entire pages. There are many sidebars of related information from Imperial Rome. It is not short on text either, a thorough accounting from Julius Caesa
roland simarangkir
Para kaisar Roma ternyata memiliki sejarah gelap, dari satu dinasti ke dinasti lainnya. Setiap pergantian kekuasaan diharapkan membawa perbaikan bagi kehidupan berbangsanya, tetapi sebagian besar mereka memerintah dengan suksesi berdarah alias kudeta.

Pengalaman memimpin para kaisar ini diwarnai dengan kudeta berdarah, pembunuhan para saiangan politik, pernihakan dengan banyak wanita, pembunuhan rakyat hanya untuk kesenangan, penghamburan kekayaan istana untuk kenikmatan belaka, pelacuran sampai
Colleen
Mar 31, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I like this series. I hope they do more (but maybe they're running out of material). It's all been done a million times before, but what hasn't been done to this extent is the fabulous photos and illustrations that accompany the text (which is very good). I read everything I can get my hands on about the Romans, and there was nothing in this book that raised any red flags of shoddy work.

I now badly want to read a book on Caracalla and Geta. So thanks! My already boundless interest has been furt
Papalodge
Dec 28, 2016 Papalodge rated it liked it
After many years I read this delightful history again. "Little Boots", a delightful child, soon matures to become the beloved Caligula. The delightful women add pleasure to the after the orgy days of their lives. Too bad the 'dark ages' had to follow; but if we close our eyes, click our heels together, perhaps Rome shall rise again. Oh, did you gather that reading this history is a delight? The pictures, including statues, National Geographic worthy photographs and illustrations present you with ...more
Rachmi
kelebihan buku ini ada di penjabaran para kaisar yg sesuai dengan waktu yg ada dari kaisar pertama sampai terakhir tapi kenapa yg dijelasin cuma keburukan masing2 kaisar? jadi pas baca buku ini kesannya kaisar selanjutnya lebih buruk dari sebelumnya, timbul pertanyaan apa sumbangsih mereka buat roma selama jadi kaisar? hal itu ngga terlalu dijelasin di buku ini. dari sisi terjemahan ngga terlalu bagus & banyaknya typo bikin kenikmatan baca berkurang.
Airlangga
not so historical and educating. its describe us about the roman emperor and their bad behavior. by bad behavior i mean, really really bad. think about this one, Caligula, promote his horse to be a Roman Consul, really?what else can go crazy?

from the historical accuracy, its not really accurate, and more abt folklore or people's story and gossip about their leader. but, its well enough and fit the title
Kathy  Petersen
Here's a "coffeetable book" that that is of size suitable for actually reading! The information is good, the pictures extravagant and interesting, and the writing breezy, chatty, and quite enjoyable. Kerrigan's title, "Dark History," should have cautioned me that he is most interested in the sexual foibles and debauchery of those rulers. Thus he left out a considerable amount of material that would have made the book much more valuable (and more star-able).
Frankie
First of all, this book has lavish illustrations and interesting asides. That said, it is a downer. The emphasis is clearly on the "dark history" of the emperors. The "good" emperors are dismissed in a few sentences, or else the author centers on their perversions. If you want to know how the powerful murdered each other in the Roman empire, read this book. If you want to know all about sexual perversions, this book should also be on your shelf.
Nicole Yovanoff
May 02, 2013 Nicole Yovanoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book. it wasn't dry at all and the pictures were fantastic. They made the history come to life and made me want to immediately hop a plane to Rome to see all the ruins. So if there are any rich people bored and want to buy me a round trip ticket to Italy.....

it was a good read.
Michael Tuggle
Aug 19, 2012 Michael Tuggle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fascinating look at the indulgent, immoral, completely unbelievable reign of the Roman Caesars. How in the Hell that empire ever lasted 500 years is beyond me but this book overs a fantastic overview of what all was going on. Cannot believe one of the cable channels hasn't launched an original series covering this period.
Larry Van Bibber
Aug 03, 2012 Larry Van Bibber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-lib
This was a very enjoyable light history of the Roman emperors who were very questionable in integrity. It obviously glossed over the emperors who were competent and good to their people. I did feel that some emperors such as Augustus was given more credit than they deserved. I. E. Agrippa's military leadership in support of Augustus was very understated.
Chase Parsley
Jun 09, 2013 Chase Parsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A coffee table book that is worth reading every page. Finally, a book about the Romans that gives the reader all of the entertaining dirt possible. You question the historical accuracy/controversies and its lack of citations, etc; but otherwise it is a page turner and packed with awesome visuals.
Dave Sippel
Jan 25, 2014 Dave Sippel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the other books in this series, "A Dark History: The Roman Emperors" relies on scandal and sensationalism. Fortunately, there was plenty of that going around in the Roman Empire and it does make for an interesting and darkly entertaining read.
Ian Zimmerman
Apr 19, 2014 Ian Zimmerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although some details are probably exaggerated and there is a disappointing lack of footnotes and references, this is a truly entertaining read for those that like the gritty and nasty side of history.
Annika Altpeter
Dec 15, 2013 Annika Altpeter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
incredibly graphic and sexual; not an incredibly well- rounded representation of the empire, even assuming the facts are true/ un-exaggerated. it was disgustingly sexual, i gave up after the first chapter. did NOT need those images...
Matt
Oct 21, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Lurid tales of Imperial Roman decadence and debauchery, all beautifully illustrated with classical sculpture and paintings throughout! What's not to like?
Mac
Dec 28, 2012 Mac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another coffee table book with basic info.
Ray Silaban
its a good book
Leylan
Oct 12, 2012 Leylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Great fact. Does glance through certain aspects but overall a great book.
Jon
Mar 15, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A fascinating book. Not exactly a good choice for the squeamish or children however. In case you ever wondered what levels of depravity humans can sink to this book spells it out for you.
Prime Sickbay recordings
Prime Sickbay recordings rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
john e. rowland
john e. rowland rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2015
SirJeff
SirJeff rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Dark History: The Kings and Queens of Europe
  • The Great Fire of Rome: The Fall of the Emperor Nero and His City
  • The Roman Emperors: A Biographical Guide to the Rulers of Imperial Rome, 31 BC-476
  • Julius Caesar: Man, Soldier, And Tyrant
  • Emperors of Rome: The Story of Imperial Rome from Julius Ceasar to the Last Emperor
  • Julius/Augustus/Tiberius/Gaius/Caligula (Lives of the Caesars 1)
  • Caesar (Emperors, #3)
  • Caligula: The Corruption of Power
  • Caligula: A Biography
  • The Assassination Of Julius Caesar: A People's History Of Ancient Rome
  • Sam Kok 1
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-by-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • Brief Guide to Greek Myth (Brief History of)
  • A Brief History of the Crusades: Islam and Christianity in the Struggle for World Supremacy
  • The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency
  • Doré's London: All 180 Illustrations from London, A Pilgrimage
  • Alice, The Enigma - A Biography of Queen Victoria's Daughter
  • Emperor of Japan: Meiji and His World, 1852-1912

A Dark History Series (9 books)
  • Dark History of the Tudors
  • A Dark History: Celts
  • A Dark History: Vikings
  • A Dark History: The Kings and Queens of Europe
  • Dark History of The Bible
  • A Dark History: The Popes
  • Dark History of Hollywood: A Century of Greed, Corruption and Scandal behind the Movies (Dark Histories)
  • Dark History: Catholic Church: Schisms, Wars, Inquisitions, Witch Hunts, Scandals, Corruption