Start by marking “Siren Promised” as Want to Read:
Siren Promised

Siren Promised

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Angie Smith and Curtis Loew are having dreams they can't shake. At the heart of each is Angie's daughter, Kaya. Angie's dreams end in death, the spreading of hand-shaped bruises across her daughter's throat. Curtis' dreams end in something else, something closer to obsession than love. Angie is worlds away, trying to keep her drug-shattered mind from falling apart, traveli ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Swallowdown Press (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Siren Promised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siren Promised

Bill
Feb 16, 2015 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is very good and very, very dark. The lines get blurred between reality and a couple hits of seriously bad acid, as Angie goes on a quest to be reunited with a daughter she had abandoned years earlier. Unfortunately for her, in order to get to her future she will have to travel thru her past – a past with years of addiction and abuse that will haunt her every step of the way.

Crisp writing with bleak and beautiful artwork throughout, that really enhances the story and creates some truly
Dustin Reade
Nov 27, 2011 Dustin Reade rated it it was amazing
a gritty, hallucinatory trip through the world of drug-use/abuse, family, and murder. Siren Promised is a strange, beautiful novel that uses incredible language and amazing images to burn its way into your head and stay there for days after reading it. Maybe it'll never leave you, for all I know. But that's okay, because you don't really want it to leave you. You want it to grow inside you and teach you something.

I have never read a book that so completely blurs the lines between reality and ha
Sam McCanna
In my life I have read and watched many dark and terrible stories... stories of abuse... stories of addiction... stories of personal horror.
This book is all of those, and still managed to leave me with a sense of hope and redemption.
The authors make it clear from the get-go that they have suffered the worst depths of addiction, and that they aren't going to pull any punches with the material in the story, which focuses on two main characters: a drug addict, and a very lonely stalker.
I really don
Karl
Mar 10, 2015 Karl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is copy 127 of 250 signed numbered copies. Book is signed by Alan M. Clake, Jeremy Robert Johnson and Larry Roberts.
Rodney Wilder
Dec 23, 2008 Rodney Wilder rated it it was amazing
This book is a startling account of one's struggle against the substances and influences that are striving to conquer that person and those in her life. No punches were held in showing the terrible power and potential of substances and drugs to destroy, making this a startling Danteic trip through one's seemingly infinite Hell.
One of the things that sets this story apart from the many drug-terror stories is the supernatural aspect. A brilliantly crafted metaphor runs the duration of the novel
Kelly
Oct 01, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, first-reads
I have just one word for you – DAMN!

Beautiful in its honesty, the plot is raw and creative. Without sermon or judgment, the story reveals a naked, ugly picture of drug abuse and exile. Although there is a very intricate supernatural element to it, it is purely secondary. What you will remember, what will haunt you, is the desperation of Angie, Curtis, and Kaya, and to what lengths they will go to fill their emptiness. Although I should warn you, the intensity may be too much for those looking f
David
Jan 21, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Angie is a drug addict. Thanks to her sadistic, drug dealing boyfriend she's spent most of the last decade hooked on various narcotics and hallucinogens. She ran away from the bastard long enough to clean up her act so that she can get home to her daughter, Kaya. Angie dreams about her constantly. Unfortunately, the dreams always end in Kaya's death.

Angie's friend wants her to celebrate by attending a rave. Although afraid that this one last party may tempt her to slip back into drugs, she reluc
General H. Sassafras
Fantastic.

Utterly and completely fantastic!

I tore through this book while at work - the visceral emotion, dark carnage and unsettling events that culminate in a fantastic voyage from acid induced highs to the inky depths of death were captivating!!

One thing that gave a new level of understanding was that the authors are both addicts. (One is addicted to drugs, the other alcohol.) This makes the gritty reality that the characters bring to those of us who cannot begin to fathom the depths of de-to
Jade Lopert
Oct 08, 2007 Jade Lopert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bizarro, favorites
Thsi is officially one of my favorite books of all time. It lives somewhere in my top five list. It's an amazing book about dealing with addiction. Which is made that much more difficult by the fact that reality becomes increasingly faulty the more sober and the closer to home the heroine gets.

Seriously, it's an amazing book with some of the most amazing art done by Alan M. Clark.
Stacy
Apr 30, 2007 Stacy rated it liked it
For such a short story, the plot and characters were well drawn out. It makes you think twice about a lot of different views points. Family, drugs, strangers, love, hate, forgiveness....
David Agranoff
An amazing a beautiful book, a horror story about drugs and addiction with beautiful dark art. So proud to have this on my shelf.
Collin Henderson
Apr 04, 2016 Collin Henderson rated it it was amazing
This one is dark. Really dark. Many books claim to explore the ugly side of humanity but few that I have read hold a candle to Siren Promised.

Even though I am not a drug addict, this book makes me know exactly what it is like. The complexity in wanting to quit but being unable to. What it does to the people around you. It's fitting too, because the book opens with the statement "Jeremy Robert Johnson is a drug addict. Alan m. Clark is an alcoholic." IIts clear this joint effort was used as a wa
Nick Roussos
Jan 13, 2014 Nick Roussos rated it really liked it
An excellent trip into a troubled existence. Reality flows into hallucination and back again. Great artwork.
Anna Zand
Sep 14, 2013 Anna Zand rated it liked it
3.5 stars really, but can't give a half star here! I think fans of Poppy Z Brite's Drawing Blood would get into this. I feel it is interesting but a but short/rushed.
Josh
Apr 21, 2013 Josh rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. Bleak and cold, but with bits of light and hope buried here and there.
widderslainte
Jul 12, 2008 widderslainte rated it did not like it
It sucked. RJJ's book of short stories was great, but this? Ugh.
Eric M. Witchey
Eric M. Witchey rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Arin mckee
Arin mckee marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
J
J marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
David Williams
David Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Isaiah Gutierrez
Isaiah Gutierrez rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Jarrid Deaton
Jarrid Deaton rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Elisse Sharpe
Elisse Sharpe marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Dominik
Dominik rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • By The Time We Leave Here, We’ll Be Friends
  • The Overwhelming Urge
  • Sausagey Santa
  • Suicide Girls in the Afterlife
  • Squid Pulp Blues
  • Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Purple)
  • Baby's First Book of Seriously Fucked-up Shit