Resort to Murder (Henrie O, #6)

Resort to Murder (Henrie O #6)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Retired Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Henrietta Collins no longer races around the globe in pursuit of news. But her talent for troubleshooting and her zest for life are much needed at a family gathering in sunny Bermuda, where murder prowls the halls of a luxury hotel. Henrie 0 has come to the island with her grandchildren for the remarriage of their father, Lloyd Dra...more
Published March 5th 2002 by Avon (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Resort to Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resort to Murder

Ellie
Resort to Murder by Carolyn Hart is 6th in Henrie O series and the first one I've read. I enjoyed it-a quick, easy read with prose that flows and characters that are easy to watch and relate to. The situation-the marriage of two older people whose children are opposed to the event-is not new but Hart's treatment is fresh and the presence of our amateur sleuth, the older (70+) Henrie's presence at her ex-son-in-laws nuptials puts a slightly fresh face on it.

The setting is perfect for me-Bermuda i...more
Tracy
Well, the good news is that the author is very, very good at writing unsympathetic characters. Characters that make you yell at the book. Characters that, in a murder mystery, beg to be killed off in the most painful way, preferably en masse.

The other bit of good news is that this author writes beautiful, detailed descriptions of the characters' surroundings.

Another bit of good news? The author truly does have a way of throwing suspicion on multiple characters so that it's not a simple thing to...more
Maureen Mullis
Retired investigative reporter Henrie O. accompanies her grandchildren to her former son-in-laws wedding. Recovering from a recent bout of pneumonia, Henrie is worn out and deeply bothered by the intense emotions surrounding the upcoming nuptuals. When a ghost is sighted, and a young man murdered, she's on the case asking the hard questions and probing where no one wants her. It's a hang on tight ride as Henrie O. tries to solve the myster in Resort to Murder!

Just a terrific book! First rate mys...more
Mark Baker
Henrie O. is attending a wedding in Bermuda that is plagued by a ghost and murder. The plot got sluggish at times, but for the most part it moved along well. The characters were much more real than the last book in the series, too.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Jamie
this one was sort of a let down..Henrie goes to Bermuda to attend her EX son-in-laws wedding to a woman who is nothing but an attention whore. And there are those in the book who seem to think this is ok behavior?? And oooooo, there's a ghost. come on, really? this prissy gold digger woman actually believes there's a ghost come back to get her. I only finished it hoping it would get better but it felt like Hart was grasping for anything to make a mystery in this book.
Wilma
I am not sure if I am getting used to Carolyn Hart's style of mysteries or not, but for once, I totally figured out who was responsible for the murders in this book.

That is not to say that I did not find this story entertaining, because I did. I was disappointed to find a inconsistency in one instance by where Henrie O was sitting with a cup of coffee and a few paragraphs later took a sip of her tea. Call me quirky, but things like this really bug me.

All in all, another great Henrie O story. On...more
Carol
Another Henrie O story. I liked it OK but I like Carolyn Hart's other series, Death on Demand, better. Henrie O is invited to her exson-in-laws wedding in Bermuda to keep an eye on her grandchildren, who are young adults, so she's on the scene when the bride to be is harassed and sacred and ..... No spoilers. The story moved a little slowly for my taste and I don't like the characters as well in this series, Henrie O is not as loveable so the Death on Demand characters.
Rebecca
Sep 15, 2010 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Rebecca by: my mother
Shelves: rmr-project
Henrietta Collins reluctantly agrees to accompany her grandchildren to Bermuda for their father's wedding. She hopes to spend much of the time recovering from pneumonia. Unfortunately strange happenings bring back tragic events from a year earlier, upsetting the bride-to-be. Henrie worries that her granddaughter is involved and sets out to find out what is happening.

I really enjoyed this mystery. It is filled with tension and well-written.
Nadine
I had a little hard time getting into this book, but once I was several pages into it I was hooked.
Henrie O. is in Bermuda for a wedding, and everything seems to be going DEAD wrong. Just getting over pneumonia, Henrie O. wants to keep a frantic pace of sleuthing in between wedding activities, but recovering almost makes it impossible. Who are friends and who is the foe--I'm sure you'll be fooled until the very end!
Linda
Really 3.5 stars, they really need to redesign the star system so we can give halves! The story was good and I was able to follow Henrie O's logic as she solved the crime, she just caught on to the motive before I did!
Kathy Warren
Slow to start. A little confusion into getting to know the characters. But once into it the plot the story came to life. I did figure out who the killer was and was not disappointed who it was.
Julie
I like the Henrie O character quite a bit, for her self-possession and awareness. I don't remember liking the author's other series at all, though I can't remember them either.
Amanda Tenney
A fun, easy read. I can't say I was suprised at who the murderer turned out to be, but it was a good story. I do prefer her "Death on Demand" series.
Cynthia
There are some books that are cozy mysteries that I begin and then stop. This was one of them. No special reason just not taken in by the story.
Kelli
Sep 01, 2013 Kelli marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mj
Nov 18, 2013 Mj added it
A pretty good twist at the end. The murderer was just about the last one I suspected.
Regan
Apr 11, 2009 Regan added it
I wasn't very impressed and probably won't read any more of her books.
Carole Anderson
Okay read. I like some of her other characters better.
Jeanette
Sorry to say this book was to boring for me to finish.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy mysteries dealing with reporter Henrie O.
Karen
predictable and not very gripping.
Patti
Good old fashioned mystery :)
Pithee
Read by Kate Reading
Carrie
felt a need to read a cozy...
Julie
Love the Darlings
Jackie Simons
Read 9/91
Wendy
Wendy added it
Aug 26, 2014
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Maggody in Manhattan (Arly Hanks, #6)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid...more
More about Carolyn Hart...
Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)