Start by marking “Mr. Spaceship” as Want to Read:
Mr. Spaceship

Mr. Spaceship

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  434 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A human brain-controlled spacecraft would mean mechanical perfection. This was accomplished, and something unforeseen: a strange entity called . . . Mr. Spaceship
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Spaceship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Spaceship

Peter Derk
Philip K. Dick.

The Pluses:
-Tons of great ideas.
-Still mined for movies on the regular.
-One of the better beards.

The Minuses:
-Prose a little weak.
-Dialogue downright tough.

I drove to PKD's grave not that long ago. It's an hour, maybe 90 minutes from my house. I took my brother's car because my own car wouldn't make it. Or, even worse, would make it and then not make it back, leaving me stranded in eastern Colorado where I'd have to find a new life either farming or working at the Dairy Queen. THE...more
Michael
Apr 27, 2012 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: SF Fans
This is one of those stories that is written in such a way that, although it seems simple, it captures your imagination right away. Not a lot of detail or description is necessary, because you fill them in yourself as you read; a sign that the storyteller is a true master.

The setting is an undetermined point in the future. Earth has made contact with aliens on a planet orbiting the nearby Proxima Centauri. However, these aliens are not friendly, and mankind is soon at war. We find we are at a di...more
John
Earth is at the losing end of a war with an alien race, called Yuks, who are able traverse the universe without spaceships. To turn tides, Earth's military engineer Kramer devices a method of installing a human brain into a man made mechanical spaceship.

Professor Thomas, who is in the declining years of his life, volunteers to transplant his brain into the spaceship and to strike at the emeny. However, after brain transplant, Professor Thomas kidnaps Kramer and Kramer's ex-wife Dolores.

Instead o...more
Scott Harris
One of Dick's short stories, Mr. Spaceship is a fitting account of the idea of merging man and machine, which has subsequently reoccurred in various science fiction pieces. In this case, it is an observation about the extension of the human lifespan and the god-like status accorded to one in charge of significant technology. Lots of interesting themes but the ending is a little underdeveloped
Mike Walmsley
Creates a powerful and emotive image in the mind, but is spoiled by a forced final act. A book which might have been better without explanation.
Velma
"Open the pod bay door, Hal."
"I can't do that Dave."

Kinda like that, but kinda not. OK, not very much at all, just one scene reminded me of 2001.

Interesting, but (probably due space limitations; ha, get it? I made a pun), a bit of a weak ending. Readable, with a modicum of the PKD wit to boot.
Rachel Ann
As a neuroscientist, it was hard not to grind my teeth in frustration at the science. But once I got over that, the extended didactic passages and plot holes served as more legitimate reasons for annoyance. Still, an interesting idea.
Erik Ʌngle
Pretty early on you can guess where the central premise of the story is headed, and I was happy to be along for the ride...then Philip K. Dick really surprised me by getting the twist out of the way early and moving into territory that I had failed to foresee. The social commentary was very interesting (tho I have the bias of already agreeing with the message), and I appreciated the usage of the human-brain-in-a-robot-body schtick in a new, non-humanoid context.

I reserve 5-star status not just f...more
M0rningstar
The writing is so bad that I cannot finish this. Reads like something thrown together by a disinterested high school student for English class.
Anna
I've recently read a bunch of Philip K. Dick's short stories and love how, although they are all dealing with similar situations (cold war turned into hot war, terra uninhabitable due to radiation, underground factories, robot wars, humans forced to live underground; OR interstellar wars (Terra-Centauri)/other interstellar situations), they still can't be compared to each other, they still differ enough to be enjoyed one after another (without getting bored by repetition).

Sparks ideas about war...more
Cristina
Listened to a libravox recording; nice but dated.
Jim
short story a bit dated
J
Classic sci-fi pulp fiction with a social commentary, hallmark of Philip K. Dick.

It is a short tale that really has aged well, simple/broad technology terms/ideas which just don't get dated very easily. This is much more in the lines of HG Wells and than say Heilein.

Takes a bit to get to the main point of the story, but you see main story twist pretty quickly but you just don't know.

Always a joy to read something like this. Just proof you don't need a huge epic 3 book story with 500 pages each.
Glenn
Solid and classic Dick. It is a story that captures the imagination and is ride with social commentary about the world we live in. It has some interesting points about where we went wrong, and an extreme way of fixing it through starting completely from scratch on a new world.

I found the ending to be creepy, as the spaceship takes on a interesting role, and the cowish nature of the main characters. Regardless, if you like P. Dick, this will not disappoint.
Chris
Putting a human brain in a spaceship that has a grand idea to restart humanity a la Adam and Eve. I was very much into this story and the thoughts it provided of having a rogue starship that could out maneuver the enemy...but the overall goal of the brain really did not quite do it for me, and as i was reading the last few paragraphs i suddenly lost interest. Perhaps if i had read it when it came out all those years ago i would have changed my mind. oh well...
Marts  (Thinker)
...We're in the future, there's war going on with an alien race called Yuks, to fight these alien some researchers led by a guy called Kramer develop a spaceship powered by a human brain, now the brain donor candidate happens to be Kramer's former professor. So the ship is built, lots of adventurous stuff occurs, and then it (the ship), reveals its prospects for a whole new mankind...

Altogether an interesting sci-fi read...

William
I do not remember reading anything by Philip K. Dick that would be rated less than 5 stars. I like this new edition, though I would have liked to seen it published in hc.
Looking forward to what Hamish Robertson and his Echo series has planned for the future.
Mark Wilkerson
A fun little ditty of a sci-fi tale; while Mr. Spaceship does nothing to elevate the genre (and is similar to any number of short stories by Arthur C. Clarke) it is, however, a nice contribution to an under-appreciated era of great writings by writers of this ilk. Serious sci-fi - Thumbs up...
Anthony
I think what I can't get past with Phillip Dick sometimes is that the ideas that he puts out were not overused when he wrote them. From my standpoint, the premises are a little tired, but he was one of the pioneers who birthed these images and concepts into the popular consciousness.
Joe
This was an interesting read from Philip K. Dick - a short story about embedding a human brain into an inanimate object. In the usual Philip K. Dick way, the story was well-written. A little bit of a corny ending, but still an interesting premise.
Mike Vendetti
I narrated this as an audiobook now available on audible.com. Interesting things happen when they replaced the Johnson steering system on a spaceship with a man's brain. Interestingly enough they chose an old man.
TheWhistler
A fun story and brief read. A meeting of the minds, technology and man. The man has a mind all his own. Story is enjoyable to read and even all the way through, and there is a payoff at the end.
Robin
Feels like something written very early on for Dick - nowhere near the top of his craft, but a somewhat interesting read nonetheless.

Worth the read for as fast as one can finish it.
torque
Seemed it was written by a teenager. Thin plot, poor conversations. Important decisions of war are made in spur of the moment.
B.C. Young
It's a good story, but the ending is weak. I get the metaphorical context, but I just didn't find it satisfying.
Ryan
It was simple and enjoyable. I really liked what he did with the ending, the little "nudge nudge" he gives the reader.
David Cain
Decent shory story. The ending feels rushed but the premise is interesting and I appreciate the anti-war philosophy.
Desmond Shepherd
Paul Greer
The ending seemed samey, then you remember: he wrote that before Star Trek was invented.
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • A Dog's Tale
  • The Big Trip Up Yonder
  • Four Weird Tales
  • Press Enter
  • Voodoo Planet (Solar Queen, #3)
  • Specimen 313
  • Youth
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Door Through Space
  • Abbot's Ghost: A Christmas Story
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. He briefly attended the University of California, but dropped out before completing any classes. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memo...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A Scanner Darkly The Man in the High Castle Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said