Start by marking “The Silver Pony” as Want to Read:
The Silver Pony

The Silver Pony

Told only in pictures, this is the story of a lonely farm boy who confuses his dreams of adventure on a winged pony with reality.
Published October 26th 1992 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Pony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Pony

The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
76th out of 184 books — 285 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice SendakThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickThe Wolves in the Walls by Neil GaimanThe Lorax by Dr. Seuss
Picture Books With Amazing Art
72nd out of 473 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
Oct 19, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-fiction
I read this back in 1974/75 when I was in elementary school in Dayton, OH. I loved this book and would get lost in it. I constantly checked it out from my school's library. I was very upset when I realized I accidentally left my Lone Ranger comic (the one that came with the action figure that I got for Christmas) inside the book. When I went back later, it was already gone. I was 8-ish and it upset me. Laugh.
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Oh, internet...how I love you. I was recently reminded of this book that I read in Kindergarten and first grade. It is in black and white wonderful drawings and has no words. According to Amazon, it's 190 some pages. I remember checking it out frequently to look at the pictures of a boy and his adventures with a Pegasus but not ever being sure if it was true or a dream.

I HAD to buy it. When I do, I will update the review with a few more pics.

Dolly
Nov 11, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an impressively illustrated book that wordlessly (and I mean wordlessly - no signs or clues to what is going on other than the picture itself) depicts a series of fantastic journeys a little boy takes with a winged horse.

Is it magic? Is it a dream? In the end, the boy has a happy revelation. We enjoyed the book - did we take from it the same story everyone else will? I don't know. But it provides opportunities for discussion and we had fun narrating the story to each other.

The black an
mairywo
Sep 16, 2011 mairywo rated it it was amazing
Stunning! It's such a simple, but effective concept with a beautiful story that I'm quite literally in awe. This book will rank among my all time favorites from now on. And it's definitely not only for children.
Emily
Jul 24, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My boys love this book! No words, just pictures -- so we have made up the story on our own. It's also interesting how the story is always the same for us. If I add or take away anything, they know!
Robert
Aug 24, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, words have no meaning, and sometimes they are unnecessary. That is certainly the case in the Silver Pony, which may be one of the most wonderful illustrated picture books I have ever had the delight to read. Simply marvelous in it's visual style and scope of story telling in pictures.

A lonely farm boy escapes from his limited reality into the wider expanse of his imagination, where he discovers a mythical Pegasus, and on it's back they travel in each direction of the weather vane. In
Natalie
Mar 16, 2011 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, children, boys, literacy teachers, reluctant readers
This is a special book with a sensitively rendered narrative of a child's interior dream life in pictoral form.

The pictoral format and the book's picture-pace allow readers of any age to engage with this book on an intimate and personal level.

It is also good for a parent and child, or two siblings, or a whole group to "read" it together by giving the pictures a story aloud to ne another.

Just as there are no "right" answers about how to interpret someone else's dreams, there is no right or wron
Kate
Jan 23, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this back in elementary school--"read" being loosely termed here, since this is a picture book. But I loved the illustrations and the way the story is told through the actions in the pictures.
Joanna Forbes
Mar 18, 2013 Joanna Forbes rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a child. It made me want to write!
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Edited from a review originally published on my blog, Nine Pages .

A wordless picture book! A wordless picture book from the ‘70s! So it’s a much older concept than I’d thought. I stumbled across this book in a local used bookstore. I was at first attracted by the title and then because the illustrations reminded me Wesley Dennis’ artwork. Dennis illustrated all of Marguerite Henry’s books, so the style was familiar and warm as a childhood security blanket. When I realized after several pages th
Nick
Jan 31, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
This wordless story predates the use of the term "graphic novel," but I think that's the only term which fits.
Told in eighty beautifully-drawn illustrations, this is the story of a young boy on a farm who has adventures both real and imaginary. It is easier and simpler to think in terms of the book's description, and assume that it's all in his head, but...would a young boy on a farm really know the details of life in a city brownstone, or on what appears to be a Navajo sheep ranch?
It is not unt
K
Jun 06, 2014 K rated it it was amazing
Wordless but breathtaking. This book inspired me as a little girl. It sparked my imagination. Now I share it with my 2 yr/o daughter every night before bed and she loves it. Silver Pony may not have color or words, but that only helps to drive the imagination forward. My daughter likes to help tell the story now that she knows it well, and she gets very wrapped up at the end as the boy and pony fall from the sky. It feels good to see her relax with a little smile when she sees the boy reunited ...more
Jenn
Nov 28, 2010 Jenn rated it liked it
I read an interesting article about this author/artist so I sought out this book. I wasn't as blown away as I expected after reading the article, but it was still as sweet, fanciful story. There are no words, only pictures.
James
Dec 14, 2013 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, graphic
Read this book as a little kid. Made me want to communicate--write, talk, paint, draw, act, sing. And I assume my love of this book is why, at least in part, I'm not uncomfortable with conversational silence.
Christina
Nov 13, 2014 Christina rated it did not like it
Mixed feeling about this book. My child thought it cool because there was no text and he could "read" it by himself. I didn't care for some of the scenes, like the father taking the son to the woodshed for an over the knee spanking, it was also a pretty vague plot.
Bree
Mar 21, 2013 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
beautiful b/w illustrations
wordless picture book -- really long!
magical story didn't really appeal to my horse-loving 6yo
Brian
Jun 11, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1973 hardcover edition is beautiful and can be had for cheap.

Every other page is blank.

I'm tempted to get a few copies and treat them like notebooks.
Blair
Jan 19, 2016 Blair rated it really liked it
A fun picture book, great for getting kids to think outside the box and explain what is happening in their own words.
Trish
Aug 06, 2012 Trish rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book was pretty neat. It isn't a written story. It is a picture story; so it kind of lets you be creative and write the story.
Christine Turner
May 04, 2012 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
Recounts without words the adventures of a boy and his winged horse.

Subjects

Stories without words

Fairy tales
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2009
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2008
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2008
Tyler Lutz
Jan 03, 2012 Tyler Lutz rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Wonderful little children's book about a boy and his magic pony. Stay Gold Pony Boy! (or Silver!)
Katie Wilson
Katie Wilson rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Kate Samworth
Kate Samworth rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2007
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2010