Start by marking “The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader” as Want to Read:

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Teachers facing the challenge of meeting the diverse reading needs of students will find the structure and tools they need in Jan Richardson's powerful approach to guided reading. Richardson has identified the essential components of an effective guided reading lesson: targeted assessments, data analysis that pinpoints specific strategies students need, and the use of guid ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Scholastic Teaching Resources (Theory an

To ask other readers questions about The Next Step in Guided Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next Step in Guided Reading

Sunday
This has become my students' favorite guide in planning for guided reading. Easy to use with solid ideas for teaching small group reading instruction at the five stages of reading. I worked with Jan Richardson when she was a literacy consultant in the district I coached in - she was amazing! I've been waiting for this book - I was so excited about it coming out that I ordered two copies (at different times) without realizing it. I'm also using this with reading specialists in the field and they ...more
Holly Loader
Excellent resource! Highly recommend to any teacher but definitely to new teachers!!
Lori
Good ideas in Chapter 6 for fluent readers.
Carrie
This was a professional book club choice for school and one I enjoyed, although I feel it is more useful for the lower elementary. It still had some nice ideas for all reading groups though and tons of information. Overall, a great resource to have in your library.
Deena
I love the resources and ideas. It's a great book for teachers new to guided reading. We followed the schedule for the 6-week set up process and it's been working really well! I also appreciate the ideas for centers and things to focus on at each level cluster.
Rebecca
Very useful ideas and simple plans for managing a reading block with diverse reading levels and abilities. I liked the discussion of how to address the different needs of readers that are working on the same level. It makes me excited to get back in the classroom!
Renee
I love this book! I've moved from upper grades to first grade and didn't feel like I was making the most of my guided reading time. This book gave me the framework that I was looking for along with extremely helpful charts and lists. This book is a keeper!
Elise
My teacher friends, I highly suggest reading this book if you teach guided reading. Great tips,strategies and lesson plan ideas. I learned a lot from this book and am excited to use this information this year in my classroom.
Erin Fowler
Great resource for any elementary teacher. She has clear and concise ideas that help a teacher plan out their guided reading time with students. I refer back to this book multiple times a year.
Melissa Asher
This is a WONDERFUL resource for planning individualized small group reading lessons! It provides direction for teachers in creating beneficial lessons for ALL reading levels.
Lesley
Excellent book for all reading teachers! The book tells you exactly what to do during small group time. I can't wait for school to start to try these new ideas.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
On a refresher course of different ideas for reading as I get ready for a training that I am doing. I like Richardson's "practicalness".
Colette
This is the most comprehensive book I've read on guided reading. I highly recommend it!
Jennifer Brown
A must read for elementary teachers! I've read it once and I am reading it again.
Diana Pettis
One of my colleagues in Sanford recommended this.
Bernie

Wish I would have had this as a new teacher!
Sheila
Richardson provides a clear plan for teachers who are scaffolding the reading process for readers.
Great resource
Khadija Sittar
Khadija Sittar marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Annmarie
Annmarie is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
  • Reading with Meaning
  • Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons
  • Teaching Children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8
  • Wondrous Words: Writers and Writing in the Elementary Classroom
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Writing about Reading: From Book Talk to Literary Essays, Grades 3-8
  • What Really Matters in Response to Intervention: Research-Based Designs
  • Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives
The Next Step in Guided Reading In the Sanctuary of Women:A Companion for Reflection & Prayer Next Step Guided Reading in Action: Grades 3-6: Model Lessons on Video Featuring Jan Richardson Next Step Guided Reading in Action: Grades K-2: Model Lessons on Video Featuring Jan Richardson Clinical Orthopaedic Physical Therapy