Start by marking “The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader” as Want to Read:

4.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  309 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Teachers facing the challenge of meeting the diverse reading needs of students will find the structure and tools they need in Jan Richardson's powerful approach to guided reading. Richardson has identified the essential components of an effective guided reading lesson: targeted assessments, data analysis that pinpoints specific strategies students need, and the use of guid ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Scholastic Teaching Resources (Theory an

To ask other readers questions about The Next Step in Guided Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next Step in Guided Reading

Noor Barron
Jan 20, 2015 Noor Barron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Best book on guided reading. I actually really enjoyed reading it and I'm excited to actually implement the strategies she talks about in the classroom!
Sunday
Mar 07, 2010 Sunday rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
This has become my students' favorite guide in planning for guided reading. Easy to use with solid ideas for teaching small group reading instruction at the five stages of reading. I worked with Jan Richardson when she was a literacy consultant in the district I coached in - she was amazing! I've been waiting for this book - I was so excited about it coming out that I ordered two copies (at different times) without realizing it. I'm also using this with reading specialists in the field and they ...more
Holly Loader
Jul 28, 2014 Holly Loader rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource! Highly recommend to any teacher but definitely to new teachers!!
Ellon
Jan 10, 2016 Ellon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching-books
I found this book very useful. Towards the end, it got a little repetitive but I think that it was just because I didnt have a student in mind with the problems being addressed. I think the end will be more helpful if I find myself with a struggling student. I liked how Richardson walks through each step of each lesson for the different levels of readers.

I am upset that I didnt have this book years ago. I feel like I've been doing guided reading "wrong" for years and I am excited to begin to us
Lori
Apr 03, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Good ideas in Chapter 6 for fluent readers.
Kim Cataldo
Jul 22, 2015 Kim Cataldo rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource. It fits well with older texts that I've used for guided reading and literature groups. I definitely recommend it!!
Carrie
Apr 01, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
This was a professional book club choice for school and one I enjoyed, although I feel it is more useful for the lower elementary. It still had some nice ideas for all reading groups though and tons of information. Overall, a great resource to have in your library.
Deena
Nov 30, 2013 Deena rated it it was amazing
I love the resources and ideas. It's a great book for teachers new to guided reading. We followed the schedule for the 6-week set up process and it's been working really well! I also appreciate the ideas for centers and things to focus on at each level cluster.
Rebecca
May 19, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Very useful ideas and simple plans for managing a reading block with diverse reading levels and abilities. I liked the discussion of how to address the different needs of readers that are working on the same level. It makes me excited to get back in the classroom!
Renee
Nov 27, 2010 Renee rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I've moved from upper grades to first grade and didn't feel like I was making the most of my guided reading time. This book gave me the framework that I was looking for along with extremely helpful charts and lists. This book is a keeper!
Elise
Aug 23, 2012 Elise rated it it was amazing
My teacher friends, I highly suggest reading this book if you teach guided reading. Great tips,strategies and lesson plan ideas. I learned a lot from this book and am excited to use this information this year in my classroom.
Erin Fowler
Aug 16, 2013 Erin Fowler rated it it was amazing
Great resource for any elementary teacher. She has clear and concise ideas that help a teacher plan out their guided reading time with students. I refer back to this book multiple times a year.
Maggie
May 12, 2015 Maggie rated it it was amazing
An excellent reference for guided reading instruction. The book is not terribly user friendly in its layout, but if you spend some time with it, the content is excellent.
Melissa Asher
Dec 31, 2012 Melissa Asher rated it it was amazing
This is a WONDERFUL resource for planning individualized small group reading lessons! It provides direction for teachers in creating beneficial lessons for ALL reading levels.
Lesley
Jul 08, 2013 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for all reading teachers! The book tells you exactly what to do during small group time. I can't wait for school to start to try these new ideas.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
On a refresher course of different ideas for reading as I get ready for a training that I am doing. I like Richardson's "practicalness".
Feb 15, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star, education
Excellent resource for guided reading for all levels. A must read for anyone teaching guided reading!
Colette
Aug 04, 2012 Colette rated it it was amazing
This is the most comprehensive book I've read on guided reading. I highly recommend it!
Jennifer Brown
Aug 15, 2012 Jennifer Brown rated it it was amazing
A must read for elementary teachers! I've read it once and I am reading it again.
Nicole
Jan 28, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
A 'must have' for every elementary and middle school classroom.
Diana Pettis
One of my colleagues in Sanford recommended this.
Bernie
Jul 04, 2012 Bernie rated it it was amazing

Wish I would have had this as a new teacher!
Sheila
Nov 28, 2010 Sheila rated it really liked it
Richardson provides a clear plan for teachers who are scaffolding the reading process for readers.
Sep 23, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Great resource
Alison Shipp
Alison Shipp rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Rebecca E. Bowman
Rebecca E. Bowman marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Luz Mulero
Luz Mulero is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2016
Dora
Dora is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Use as text in college 1 1 Nov 21, 2015 12:18PM
  • Guided Reading: Good First Teaching for All Children
  • The Daily Five
  • Catching Readers Before They Fall: Supporting Readers Who Struggle, K-4
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • Reading with Meaning: Teaching Comprehension in the Primary Grades
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Teaching Children to Care: Classroom Management for Ethical and Academic Growth, K-8
  • Making the Most of Small Groups: Differentiation for All
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • In Defense of Read-Aloud: Sustaining Best Practice
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]