The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Tales, #7)

The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga #7)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  3,700 ratings  ·  28 reviews
For centuries the tribes of Nadir have suffered under the despotic tyranny of their Gothir overlords. Disunited and distrustful of one another the tribes await the coming of a Messanic warlord, who will unite them against the oppressors. Into this swirling, chaotic landscape come three men who will change the fate of the continent. Together they will journey across a war-t...more
Published October 3rd 1996 by Corgi (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Deathwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Deathwalker

Graham
A typically excellent fantasy novel by David Gemmell, something of a prequel of sorts to his first book, LEGEND. In fact, it has a couple of book-end chapters that directly link it to the events of that story, but the majority of the tale is set years previously.

This is one of the best Drenai novels. The plot is familiar, taking on yet another siege scenario, but the characters are among the most interesting yet and Gemmell makes full use of the opportunity to explore the various characters caug...more
Todd
This is a fun book, which is an excellent prelude to 'Legend'. Gammell seems to have a love for sieges, although he has this tendency to being vary anti-climatical in the end.
Joe
This was the last book in the Drenai Saga that I hadn’t read, so reading it was a very bittersweet experience. On the one hand, this one is just as good as all the other books in the series, and made me want to revisit Legend and some of the others. On the other hand, I knew that once I’d finished it, there wouldn’t be any more Drenai books left. So I took it slow for the first half, but naturally I finished it at a breathless late-night sprint a day or two later.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately...more
Rebecca
I liked this book although it was hard to follow as it is the 7th in a series that I have read no other books.It took me awhile to get all the characters figured out and all the different peoples.
The story starts in a fight,Druss the legend is awaiting the Nadir to attack yet again. He is an older warrior, of around 50 or 60 and he has a young man next to him. As it turns out Dros is telling the young man his story of how he got his name "Deathwalker". He had been going to the games but had got...more
Jordan Maywood
A podcast review of this book you say!? Why the hell not!?

The Nadir are the Kilngons of the Drenai Saga.

Hello!

Druss is back at it again in this mid-middle-quel to other books within this series. Will he prevail against all odds and defeat the stuff and things!? Probably... I discuss:

The Legend of Deathwalker by David Gemmel.

Troy G
Sometimes a thing is better than its parts. Sometimes a thing is less. In this case, this book is exactly as good as its parts. That made it a disappointment, because the rest of the Drenai Tales manage to rise above their somewhat pulpy ideas and characters. This book doesn't. It made me understand more about Druss in a way.

Druss isn't really all that special. What makes Legend good isn't Druss. It is a synergy between all of the elements. Without the synergy, Druss is just a character.

Critici...more
Filipa
I do have a passion of David Gemmell books. He is simple in writing, concise in his battles, a great story teller and most of all , very human when creating his characters.

The Legend of Deathwalker brings us the story of Druss and the reason why he had the name of Deathwalker between the Nadir. It also brings the Nadir rising into the powerful army we have seen in the "Legend".

With a incredible simplicity, David Gemmell places Druss as a story teller to a young warrior about times long passed, w...more
Iceman9t9
Mayank Agarwal
Another good book from Gemmell. I liked the changes seen in his writing as he continues the Drenai Saga. Normally all his earlier books were pure recycle of the first book- Legend.
What i liked here is him getting into Nadir history and a clear explanation on what happened before.
What i didn't like was the larger then life battles in void. It makes all other battles previously fought in Drenai Saga insignificant.
The Ending was awesome - people will understand the significance only if they have r...more
Caius Roth
The first two thirds of this book were all over the place. There were too many characters with too many incidental events and too many anecdotes. Naturally, it picked up and sharpened its focus through the whole last sequence, which was pretty good overall. I actually kind of liked most of the connections to Legend, though there were a few minor ones that felt forced.

On the whole, this book still contained most of the things that make a Gemmell novel fun to read, but it's not one of the strong p...more
David
This is a book that I hadn't (re)read for a while, so had actually pretty much forgotten how good it actually is!

Presented (or bookended) as a tale told by Druss during the siege of Dros Delnoch (as in 'Legend' - Gemmell's most famous novel) to one of the defenders manning the walls, this therefore takes place a good time before the events of that novel and - in some respects at least - can almost be seen as a microcosm of that earlier work due to some pronounced similarities!
Paul Olsson
Another great book about Druss, not as good as Legend of Cronichles of Druss the legend but definetly a must read!
Sally
Well written 'boys own' stuff. Lightly sketched characters engage cheerfully in battles described in minute detail with a dash of philosophy thrown in for the grown-ups. I enjoyed the read but probably won't feel the need to repeat the experience so it's back to the charity shop for this one.
Joshua Simon

Another great Gemmell book. He does so many things well. My one complaint is that I felt the ending was a bit rushed in how the final conflict ended, almost like a slight Deux Ex Machina.

Even with that, it is better than most other fantasy available.
Fredrik
Ahh, sweet, sweet David Gemmell. Thank you, for yet another wonderful read!

Although not as strong as Druss - Deathwalker, legend of Deathwalker was still better than tons of other fantasybooks I've read over the years.

Once you go Gemmell, you never go back.

Josh Meares
Though Gemmell keeps running Druss through the same moral dilemma, this book is still interesting and entertaining. Druss is just a good character, and I like the way it ties back to the first book in the series.
Nethound
Jun 15, 2007 Nethound rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
More adventures of Druss the Legend. Truth be told I don't remember what happened in what book of this series, but I liked all the Drenai Tales, and especially liked the ones about Druss.canon ip6000d linux driver
Deena
This made me wish that I had kept the previous titles in the series before releasing them, since it is taking me so long to get through them all.
Jerry Merica-jones
This is the first book I read - lots of fun with Gemmell's common themes of last causes and unlikely heroes.
Charles
Another top notch entry in the Druss series. I really really like this character.
Shawn Wickersheim
Another great book by David Gemmell. After reading this, I'm eager to read Legend again.
AndrewP
Excellent action as per Gemmell's style. He doesn't disappoint in this one.
Bob Walker
Sword and sorcery at its finest. Brilliant book in a great series.
Donna Barr
A must for all hero fans,again druss appears never dull.
Emmanuel
Ties together the different Druss arcs.
Zuleika
Sep 25, 2007 Zuleika rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Another great David Gemmel book!
Stephanie
Another great Druss story.
Ellen Biggs
Ellen Biggs marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • Exile's Return (Conclave of Shadows, #3)
  • A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2)
  • L'apprenti assassin (L'assassin royal, #1)
  • Wit'ch Gate (The Banned and the Banished, #4)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • Corvus (The Macht, #2)
  • The Black Raven (The Dragon Mage, #2)
  • The Sunset Warrior (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #1)
  • Gilden-Fire
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel...more
More about David Gemmell...
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)