Start by marking “The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Tales, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Tales, #7)

The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga #7)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  5,809 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
For centuries the tribes of Nadir have suffered under the despotic tyranny of their Gothir overlords. Disunited and distrustful of one another the tribes await the coming of a Messanic warlord, who will unite them against the oppressors. Into this swirling, chaotic landscape come three men who will change the fate of the continent. Together they will journey across a war-t ...more
Published October 3rd 1996 by Corgi (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Deathwalker, please sign up.

Madcarlotta No, you don't *have* to. While the books do mention events and people from the other books, each one stands alone, although I imagine it might be a…moreNo, you don't *have* to. While the books do mention events and people from the other books, each one stands alone, although I imagine it might be a bit confusing if you don't know the timeline jumps around. I am currently reading the series in chronological order (based on the timeline in the Drenai world) because I am new to the books, but the books were not originally written in this order. Legend was the first one Gemmell wrote, but it is the 7th chronologically.

If you intend to read the entire series, my recommendation would be to read them in Drenai-calendar chronological order though - starting with Waylander. You can find the order here (goodreads numbers them in the order they were written):

(less)

Octavi
Sep 06, 2016 Octavi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gemmell sabe manejar a la perfección el género. Sabe mezclar con las dosis suficientes tanto realismo y crudeza como magia y fantasía. Un genio que daría paso al futuro Grimdark.
Joe
Oct 18, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last book in the Drenai Saga that I hadn’t read, so reading it was a very bittersweet experience. On the one hand, this one is just as good as all the other books in the series, and made me want to revisit Legend and some of the others. On the other hand, I knew that once I’d finished it, there wouldn’t be any more Drenai books left. So I took it slow for the first half, but naturally I finished it at a breathless late-night sprint a day or two later.

I’ve been thinking a lot lately
Graham
Jan 12, 2014 Graham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A typically excellent fantasy novel by David Gemmell, something of a prequel of sorts to his first book, LEGEND. In fact, it has a couple of book-end chapters that directly link it to the events of that story, but the majority of the tale is set years previously.

This is one of the best Drenai novels. The plot is familiar, taking on yet another siege scenario, but the characters are among the most interesting yet and Gemmell makes full use of the opportunity to explore the various characters caug
Filipa
Aug 03, 2012 Filipa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do have a passion of David Gemmell books. He is simple in writing, concise in his battles, a great story teller and most of all , very human when creating his characters.

The Legend of Deathwalker brings us the story of Druss and the reason why he had the name of Deathwalker between the Nadir. It also brings the Nadir rising into the powerful army we have seen in the "Legend".

With a incredible simplicity, David Gemmell places Druss as a story teller to a young warrior about times long passed, w
KostasAt
Oct 01, 2016 KostasAt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/10

In ‘The Legend of Deathwalker’ Druss’s legendary cycle of adventures comes to an end as Gemmell takes us, once again, to the past, in a story of how Druss actually earns the title of the Deathwalker and also of how fate sends him at the siege of Dros Delnoch.

The story starts 30 years before Legend , but after the main events of the First Chronicles ; with Druss still trying to find himself in the world, along with Sieben, his most loyal friend and poet master.
But when they get involved int
Angel 一匹狼
Mar 17, 2015 Angel 一匹狼 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Gemmell could have written about Druss (and Sieben) doing groceries and baking cakes and I would have enjoyed it. David Gemmell's style is one that I can't get tired of, even though I have always believed that he wrote the same book over and over again. "The Legend of the Deathwalker" is not as good as the Rigante series or the first two about Troy, but it still has all the ingredients of the his novels (a little bit of talk about philosophy, endings a little bit abrupt, characters that ar ...more
Pandahanna
May 26, 2016 Pandahanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Gemmell - book (yet. I still have a few ones left to read)!
So much magic and adventure! I really enjoyed it!
Todd
Dec 08, 2012 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fun book, which is an excellent prelude to 'Legend'. Gammell seems to have a love for sieges, although he has this tendency to being vary anti-climatical in the end.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7), David Gemmell
Fari Manonose
Mar 01, 2016 Fari Manonose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We once again go on an adventure with Druss the Legend, to find out how he got the name Deathwalker, among the Nadir. David Gemmel’s writing style as always is amazing. He was especially great at writing characters though. Although his heroes and their love interests always seem to have repetitive characteristics but I guess it follows that Heroes will have similar traits that make them heroes, and that the women they love would also share similar traits. His heroes aren’t identical though, they ...more
Rebecca
Oct 07, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book although it was hard to follow as it is the 7th in a series that I have read no other books.It took me awhile to get all the characters figured out and all the different peoples.
The story starts in a fight,Druss the legend is awaiting the Nadir to attack yet again. He is an older warrior, of around 50 or 60 and he has a young man next to him. As it turns out Dros is telling the young man his story of how he got his name "Deathwalker". He had been going to the games but had got
Andrea Bampi
Feb 08, 2015 Andrea Bampi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7th book in the Drenai Series and third (and last one) book featuring Druss as main hero. Much better than its predecessor (The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend), it brings Druss' saga to a proper and satisfying end, answering some pending questions, recalling some memorable moments and offering some new bloody Snaga action. Nothing more but also nothing less than a Gemmell fan could ask from a Druss' novel; unimaginable to miss if you've already read Legend. Farewell Druss, it was damn fun ...more
Mayank Agarwal
Another good book from Gemmell. I liked the changes seen in his writing as he continues the Drenai Saga. Normally all his earlier books were pure recycle of the first book- Legend.
What i liked here is him getting into Nadir history and a clear explanation on what happened before.
What i didn't like was the larger then life battles in void. It makes all other battles previously fought in Drenai Saga insignificant.
The Ending was awesome - people will understand the significance only if they have r
Jen
Apr 23, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Legend of Deathwalker (Drenai Saga, #7) tells the story of how Druss gets his Nadir name of Deathwalker. It also tells of how Ulrech is created - which explains Druss's funeral in the very first Drenai Saga novel - and how Sieben finally found his ability to love which, it should be noted, is different than his ability to be a lover which we already knew him capable of.

Missing is Rowena.
Jordan Maywood
Feb 19, 2014 Jordan Maywood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A podcast review of this book you say!? Why the hell not!?

The Nadir are the Kilngons of the Drenai Saga.

Hello!

Druss is back at it again in this mid-middle-quel to other books within this series. Will he prevail against all odds and defeat the stuff and things!? Probably... I discuss:

The Legend of Deathwalker by David Gemmel.

Wolfdan
Apr 21, 2015 Wolfdan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pal
Druss est à Dros Delnoch et se tient face aux nadirs. Cette histoire est une mise en abîme. En effet, il en profite entre deux assauts pour raconter à un jeune fermier du nom de Pellin, un pan de son histoire. Il a connu un autre gars, un autre Pellin il y a trente ans de cela...
On retrouve avec plaisir Druss la Légende et le livre apporte des réponses à beaucoup de questions qui pouvaient encore se poser au sujet de cette saga.
Gary Duncan
Jan 24, 2016 Gary Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite what I was expecting, I had imagined more life-defining battles that Druss had been involved in to gain his legendary status. Nevertheless, it's was still a thoroughly enjoyable read and I'm becoming a huge fan of David Gemmell's work.
Noah
Feb 26, 2016 Noah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is another Druss the Legend novel. The story revolves mostly around Druss telling an anecdote to a young soldier during the events that happen in Legend. Focused mostly on Druss's time with the Nadir, it follows the main pattern of many of the other books in the Drenai Saga.
Gary
Jan 22, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom
Nov 08, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine book

I think Gemmell was really coming into too his stride as a writer with this book. Legend is and all ways will be my favorite but it is a little rough. I think this and his many other books show how he just got better over time.
Rob
Dec 24, 2016 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The perfect compliment to the first novel in the Drenai series. Druss indirectly aides the birth of the uniter of the Nadir and this tale foreshadows the epic clash at Dros Delnoch. In classic Gemmell style, the novel contains a siege and storming of a fortress where the defenders are against seemingly insurmountable odds. Pretty sure that happens in almost all novels in the Drenai series, but it never gets old. Looking forward to remainder of the Drenai books but very interested to see how it g ...more
Carina
A friend gave this book to me and I admit I thought it was a standalone novel - yes it says "A novel of Druss the Legend" at the top but for some reason it didn't quite occur to me that that meant it was part of a series! That said, unlike a number of other books that are part of a series this one is written in such a way as to give me all of the knowledge I needed to understand who the characters were, where in the series this stood... and it did so in such a way that I want to read more becaus ...more
Dustman
Oct 03, 2016 Dustman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dustman
5 stars. obviously.
Valentine Pumpkins

Malgré un début plutôt laborieux, j'ai adoré suivre de nouveau les aventures de Druss et en apprendre plus sur le peuple Nadir :)
Troy G
Dec 13, 2010 Troy G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Sometimes a thing is better than its parts. Sometimes a thing is less. In this case, this book is exactly as good as its parts. That made it a disappointment, because the rest of the Drenai Tales manage to rise above their somewhat pulpy ideas and characters. This book doesn't. It made me understand more about Druss in a way.

Druss isn't really all that special. What makes Legend good isn't Druss. It is a synergy between all of the elements. Without the synergy, Druss is just a character.

Critici
Dylan
Jul 24, 2016 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You killed all six?"
"Five. One fell from the cliff as I was chasing him. Now, let us be moving on."

"I am in a mood for trade. I have four ponies and a few swords and bows..."
"These are the lands of the Chop-backs. Two men and a guide would be...tempting...prey."
"They have already been tempted," the axman told him. "That is why we have ponies and weapons to trade."

"You are the Deathwalker; your legend will live on with us."
"Legends. Pah! I have had enough of legends..."
"You have no sons?"
"No. Al
Caius Roth
The first two thirds of this book were all over the place. There were too many characters with too many incidental events and too many anecdotes. Naturally, it picked up and sharpened its focus through the whole last sequence, which was pretty good overall. I actually kind of liked most of the connections to Legend, though there were a few minor ones that felt forced.

On the whole, this book still contained most of the things that make a Gemmell novel fun to read, but it's not one of the strong p
Lucrezia
May 22, 2016 Lucrezia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ci sono difetti per cui non dovrebbe avere 5 stelle, ma non me ne frega niente.
Mi ha emozionato tanto e so già che non scorderò mai questo libro e il suo mosaico di splendidi personaggi.

Una minzione speciale (non è un errore di battiura) alle capre che hanno dato un titolo per ritardati, dato che i Drenai in questo libro non c'entrano proprio niente e Druss è co-protagonista. Le solite vaccate all'italiana per non turbare la mente del lettore semplice.
David
Sep 09, 2011 David rated it really liked it
This is a book that I hadn't (re)read for a while, so had actually pretty much forgotten how good it actually is!

Presented (or bookended) as a tale told by Druss during the siege of Dros Delnoch (as in 'Legend' - Gemmell's most famous novel) to one of the defenders manning the walls, this therefore takes place a good time before the events of that novel and - in some respects at least - can almost be seen as a microcosm of that earlier work due to some pronounced similarities!
Base
Oct 18, 2015 Base rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
  • Noonshade (Chronicles of the Raven, #2)
  • Wit'ch Star (The Banned and the Banished, #5)
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • La reine solitaire (L'assassin royal, #6)
  • The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • The Saints of the Sword (Tyrants and Kings, #3)
  • Salute the Dark (Shadows of the Apt, #4)
  • The Wicked and the Witless (Chronicles of an Age of Darkness, #5)
  • Gilden-Fire
  • The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga, #3)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
  • Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga, #8)
  • Hero in the Shadows (The Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)
  • The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga, #11)