Start by marking “Michal (The Wives of King David #1)” as Want to Read:
Michal (The Wives of King David #1)

Michal (The Wives Of King David #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,722 Ratings  ·  319 Reviews
Can their epic search for true love survive a father's fury?

The daughter of King Saul, Michal lives a life of privilege--but one that is haunted by her father's unpredictable moods and competition from her beautiful older sister. As a girl, Michal quickly falls for the handsome young harpist David.

But soon after their romance begins, David must flee for his life, leaving M
Published March 1st 2009 by Revell (first published 2009)

Anne
Alright, so enough is enough. My limit has been overreached. Michal, I gave you a fair chance, but at 70% in I'm forced to abandon if I want to retain what I have left of sanity.

If I painstakingly reach another chapter only to read the words "Five Million Years Later" as the heading, I WILL EXPLODE. ASJKGJKAJKDJ, I. WILL. EXPLOOOOOOOODE!!!

Why the heck do authors think it's cool to skip years ahead in a story?! WHY?! It's incredibly annoying, and I feel cheated beyond belief every time it happen
Beth
Sadly Michal was a miss for me. I just felt no connection to David or Michal. I didn't believe their great love for one another. I felt like I was told more than shown how they felt, so nothing came across as genuine for me. They felt two-dimensional & immature the entire story.

I'm not sure why, but when I read novelizations of Kind David, I end up disliking him intensely, which I don't believe was the author's intention. He seemed arrogant and totally willing to discard one wife for another
R.L. Syme
Jan 22, 2010 R.L. Syme rated it liked it
I'm going to start off by saying that I have a degree in theology, and from a Biblical perspective, this book is exceptionally accurate. It is obvious that Smith is not only a lover of the Bible, but a great researcher. Very impressed with its historicity.

!SPOILERS!

What did not impress me was the way the story of David was fictionalized. So the history was impressive, the fiction was frustrating. First of all, the "love" that David had for Michal was either so shallow or so under-developed that
Michelle
Michal captivated me from the first page. I know that sounds, cliche, but it's true. I read the first two chapters about four years ago and they were just as good back then. I adore Biblical fiction when it is well done. The author did a fabulous job showing the culture of King David's time and explaining things that don't set well with our modern ways, such as having more than one wife. It made sense the way it was presented. I loved how the developing love story continued throughout the book, ...more
Virginia
Feb 07, 2009 Virginia rated it really liked it
This is the story of Michal, the first wife of King David. In this book, readers get to know Michal at home before her marriage, and get an insider's glimpse of her father, Israel's infamous first king. We stay with her all the way through her second marriage, her return to David when she joined his harem, and beyond.

One thing I truly dislike about some Biblical fiction is when the author takes liberties with the Biblical account in order to enhance the story. I'm very happy to report that Jill
Jill Smith
Feb 04, 2009 Jill Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: men and women who love a dramatic saga of historical fiction.
Since I'm the author of the book, I can only say that I learned a lot about David and Michal as I wrote the story. I hope readers will enjoy what's there and will come to love their tale as much as I do.
Erin
Mar 11, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
"Michal" is the first book in the "Wives of King David" trilogy. I am more familiar with the story of David's wives Abigail and Bathsheba than the daughter of King Saul. It turns out that Michal ( which according to two websites is pronounced "mee-CHAL") was David's first love. I felt that the story was really rushed and so much time elapsed between their first months of marriage until their reunion that I didn't find myself liking their story. Personally, I loved Bathsheba so much better!
Brenda
Nov 21, 2012 Brenda rated it liked it
“Michal” is a Christian adventure romance book. It takes place during the reign of King Saul when David of Bethlehem is merely a shepherd boy. David would occasionally come to the palace to sing and play his harp to give King Saul peace from the demons that were torturing him. While King Saul was in one of those moods, he’d get into tantrums and abuse his family, even Michal. Michal and her sister, Merab, would very much look forward to David’s coming, for they both loved him.
During a battle th
Megan
Mar 10, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
Jill Eileen Smith's first book in The Wives of King David series has made me a follower. Michal, not only made me a fan of Smith, but made it easy for me to decide what to read next in the Bible. I want to reread the history of King Saul, David, and Michal; therefore, I've started 1 Samuel again. As far as Biblical fiction is concerned, I believe the ultimate goal is turning readers back to God's Word. Smith stayed true to the Biblical account in her novel, while adding both emotional and histor ...more
Mary Catherine
Mar 20, 2011 Mary Catherine rated it really liked it
What would you give up for love? What would you pass up? What would you gain?

Such are the questions to ponder in MICHAL, the first installment of THE WIVES OF KING DAVID, by Jill Eileen Smith – an epic story surrounding King David of the Bible, you know, the one who slayed the giant Goliath.

It’s not exactly my type of reading. In fact, the only reason I even downloaded it to my Kindle was because it was on the Free list. When I read the description, I was instantly intrigued, not because I’m an
Marie desJardins
Feb 22, 2013 Marie desJardins rated it did not like it
This is just one of the most awful books I've ever tried to read. (I can't say "I've ever read" because there was no way I was going to spend my time reading the whole thing.)

It reads like it was written by a 12-year-old (or at the very least *for* a 12-year-old) -- overly melodramatic, overly simplistic, no plot line whatsoever, no character development whatsoever. It just jumps from scene to scene with no narrative structure, and the writing itself is just ... really, really terrible.

I mean,
Nenette
Mar 25, 2011 Nenette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Biblical fiction stories are written to inspire people to read the actual account in the Bible...(for me, I also like to see how they compare). The story of Michal, daughter of King Saul and David's first wife is one story that inspires. As mentioned in her notes at the end of the book, the author tried to stay close to what's written in the Bible as much as possible. I found myself with the Bible on hand for easy reference while I was reading. It's really as close as it can get. The stories in ...more
Nora St Laurent
Apr 12, 2010 Nora St Laurent rated it it was amazing
Jill Eileen Smith had me transported to the time of King Saul and David. The book starts out in Gibeah, 1023 BC, with a young David rising up for the challenge and battle with Goliath. The author says this about David, “without a doubt, David knew the Most High had called him to this moment, and nothing anyone could do or say would shake his confidence in the Almighty.”

Even after Saul watches David slay Goliath and promises David his daughter Michal in marriage, he makes David pay a very high do
Nancy
Apr 06, 2010 Nancy rated it really liked it
Michal was the daughter of King Saul and sister to crowned heir, Jonathan. Her life had flipped as soon as her father turned his face away from the Lord. This would add tension and panic whenever a demonic hysteria would engulf King Saul. Yet, the chaotic spirit of Saul seemed to be soothed when a shepherd showed up.
David was quite the handsome young man and Michal knew the moment she saw him that she would make sure he was hers. However, the musician rose in ranks after he killed Goliath and w
Jessica
Sometimes I found "Michal" to go a bit too quickly for my tastes. For a while each chapter said something like "Five Years Later" or "Two Years Later", but I suppose the author was attempting to go through her entire life (or most of it, anyway.) so that was necessary.

What irked me most was that I kept finding myself thinking of David as kind of...well...a jerk. Maybe its because of culture is different then theirs and so some things bother me that wouldn't have necessarily bothered people back
Dawn
Nov 07, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction
The daughter of King Saul falls in love with a simple shepherd, who happens to be God's chosen king. Michal convinces her father to allow her to marry David. When David must flee for his life because of Saul's desire to kill him, she helps him escape. In response to her help, her father gives her as a bride to another man. Yes she does rejoin King David's household. But her position is no longer that of the first wife, and she's bitter.

This book has been on my to be read list for a long time. I
Jackie
I had to end my misery so I didn’t finish this book. I really tried because I won it in a GoodReads Giveaway I felt compelled to continue on, but alas I had to put it down.

My main problem was the writing and the lack of attachment to the characters. I found the writing pretty dry and some of the dialogue was a bit awkward for me. I’ve read other biblical fiction with beautiful prose, which is what I expected with this one especially since it has such a gorgeous cover. However, because of the wr
Monica
Mar 23, 2009 Monica rated it really liked it
Recommended to Monica by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads
I was very skeptical when I started to read the book because it was biblical romance. I wasn’t sure how I was going to feel with someone putting their in own spin on what might have happened in those times, I must say I was pleasantly surprised The book is a great read and the author keeps the flow going and you interested through out the book. The author stays true to the facts that we have and fills in the blanks on what we don’t. I honestly thought the ending would have been different just b ...more
Megan
Aug 04, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing
Quite honestly I wasn't going to read this book. All for the reason that I just don't like her in the Bible. I read this because I wanted to read book two which is Abigail whom I love, and I don't read series out of sequence. I am so glad I read this book. I gives you a new perspective on what may have shaped Michal into the woman she became and cause her to despise her husband and her God. I also loved the insight into that period of history for Israel. Backgrounds on Saul, David, and of course ...more
Holly
Mar 04, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
I loved the ending of this book!!! I can't say I enjoyed the entire book, I would have liked to have seen more on David, but I love David's story.

This story did open my eyes a lot about the reign of Saul, his daughters, and the early years of David's reign. When I've read 1 & 2 Samuel in the past the time between events didn't really sink in the way it did reading this story. I do want to go back and read those books.

I'm glad I finally took the time to read this story even though it was not
Rachel
This book flowed smoothly enough but it didn't really pull me in. Michal's is not an easy story. I think the author did a good job of portraying the biblical story of David and Michal but there just wasn't much happiness to it. And I realize it was necessary, but it was also somewhat jarring to skip years at a time which happened more than once. I have the next book in the series so I'm hoping I'll like it better.
Cindy
Jun 08, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing
One of the joys of Biblical fiction is that when it is well done, it aids the reader's understanding of the Bible. Another is that if it is true to the historical time period, the reader learns what life was like for the people who lived then. Jill Eileen Smith's debut novel accomplishes both things and more. The prose is beautiful, the romance tender, the realities of war all too real at times. Highly recommended!

Cindy Thomson
Author of Brigid of Ireland and Celtic Wisdom.
Jerry
Feb 26, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it
Jill Eileen Smith transports us through time in this intimate portrait of Michal, daughter of King Saul and first wife of King David. I enjoyed the amount of detail, especially with the characters' thoughts, and how the back story was filled in. It wasn't perfect, though; a few scenes could have been more dramatic, and there were some questionable motives here and there. Still, for what it was, I enjoyed it.
NancyInWI
Apr 06, 2013 NancyInWI rated it it was ok
This was a genre that I don't normally read. It was selected for the April read for a group here on Goodreads. Essentially it's a fictionalized writing of 1 and 2 Samuel. It was easy reading in it's style but I felt it was uneven. Often I felt it read like a romance novel in its prose. The ending came abruptly and without much feeling for me. I really had to struggle to finish it.
Jane
Aug 25, 2009 Jane rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Historical Biblical Fiction
I was pulled into this story and couldn't put it down. I had so much emotion into the story, anger, sadness, heartwarming happiness, uneasiness, and I would often think of what was going to happen next. Now I need to go read the story in 1 Samuel again!
Jen
Mar 21, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok
No more Women of Genesis by Orson Scott Card, I needed something similar to that series. This looks promising and the first one was free on the Kindle, so I decided to give it a try.
Linda Switzer
May 08, 2017 Linda Switzer rated it really liked it
As someone who recently attended a Christ in Youth (CIY) conference where the series was about King David, I have to say I started reading this book with high expectations. I've had this book for a few years now, but I’ve never actually taken the time to read it. I was originally unsure if this was a book I might have enjoyed reading, as it is basically a fictionalized retelling of events in 1 & 2 Samuel. When I finally decided to read this a few days ago, I was not disappointed, as Smith’s ...more
Linda
Feb 19, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. I always wonder how it might have been for the people who lived before us and under God's plans. Michal's story could have happened this way. Many of us live as she lived and God was gracious then, and is gracious now. Thank you, Jill Eileen Smith, for a story that shows us the compassion of God.
Allan67
May 24, 2017 Allan67 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I read to Diana. We can't do much anymore after her stroke, so I read to her to spend time together. Diana has always loved to have someone to read to her - and I like to do just that.

Linda Anderson
Feb 12, 2017 Linda Anderson rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fictional account of King David's first wife and depiction of living in the times
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 01:08PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 01:28PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 2 Jul 07, 2014 05:05PM
Christian Fiction...: April Main Group Read - Michal (Wives of King David #1) 64 61 May 14, 2013 12:45PM
  • Journey to the Well
  • Love's Sacred Song (Treasure of His Love)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • Valeria's Cross
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • Pearl in the Sand
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and Delilah (Lost Loves of the Bible, #2)
  • To Love Anew (Sydney Cove, #1)
  • Havah: The Story of Eve
  • City of the Dead (Seven Wonders, #1)
Jill Eileen Smith is the author of The Prophetess, the bestselling The Crimson Cord and the Wives of King David series, along with the Wives of the Patriarchs, Daughters of the Promised Land, and The Loves of King Solomon series. Her research has taken her from the Bible to Israel, and she particularly enjoys learning how women lived in Old Testament times.

When she isn’t writing, she loves to spen
More about Jill Eileen Smith...

The Wives Of King David (3 books)
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)

“We don't always know why God allows trials. We do know He wants us to trust Him.” 13 likes
“Arrow prayers darted heavenward.” 1 likes