Start by marking “Zen og kunsten at vedligeholde en motorcykel” as Want to Read:
Zen og kunsten at vedligeholde en motorcykel

Zen og kunsten at vedligeholde en motorcykel

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  139,390 Ratings  ·  5,794 Reviews
En roman om en månedlang motorcykeltur fra Minnesota til Californien.
Det er historien om en far og hans elleveårige søn og deres indbyrdes forhold.
Og det er historien om en mand på sporet af sit tidligere jeg. Undervejs gennemlever han fortiden og genoplever det tankesæt der én gang bragte ham over grænsen til sindssygen.
Published January 1st 1977 by Borgen (first published 1974)

Christy
Aug 09, 2010 Christy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's unfair to give a poor rating to a book I read in high school. However, I like to think that I was wise beyond my years and knew a phony, self-congratulatory, pretentious buffoon when I saw one. On the other hand, I did wear baggy overalls with Birkenstocks every day back then and wondered why I didn’t have a boyfriend, so clearly I didn’t know everything.

But as I read through the reviews here, I am confronted by a rush of unpleasant memories about this particular reading experience. T
Clinton
Apr 18, 2009 Clinton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like Robert M. Pirsig has wronged me personally.
Petra X
When I was quite young my brain said to me, after a particularly long and stoned session listening to Pink Floyd and discussing philosophy, 'oh give me a break'. So I said to my brain, 'there's no need to be so rude,' and my brain said, 'no seriously, I can't handle this anymore, really, let me take a break'. So it did and I've been operating on brain-stem alone ever since. I don't know it's made that much difference.

I wonder if the author's brain was thinking like mine was?

Certainly when I was
Katherine
May 23, 2007 Katherine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
After years of people saying, "Oh, you're a philosophy major? Have you heard of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? You should read it!" I finally broke down and bought a copy. I am usually wary of books that seem to hold promises of sweetness and light and spiritual awakening, in this age of The Purpose-Driven Life and Silver Ravenwolf.

My thoughts on the book, even months after reading it, are still mixed. Artistically, I do think it's a polished and respectable piece of literature. It's
Richard
Aug 20, 2007 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those tolerant of shallow philosophy (e.g. Matrix fans)
There are three threads weaving through this book (none of which, as is pointed out, has much to do with either eastern philosophy or with motorcycle maintenance.)

The first is a straightforward narration by a man riding across the country with his young son and two friends (a married couple). This evocative travelogue is by far the most enjoyable aspect of the novel.

The second element is a sort of mystery as that man struggles with his memory; it's gradually revealed that he's on the road both t
Riku Sayuj
Jan 19, 2014 Riku Sayuj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Plato's Phaedrus said, "And what is written well and what is written badly...need we ask Lysias or any other poet or orator who ever wrote or will write either a political or other work, in meter or out of meter, poet or prose writer, to teach us this?"

Modern Phaedrus said, “And what is good, Phaedrus,
And what is not good—
Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?”

I keep re-reading passages from Zen and the Art and Tao of Pooh and Siddhartha and try to make sense in the context of everyday l
Mason Wiebe
Mar 21, 2008 Mason Wiebe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I must start by saying that this is one of my favorite books ever. Although it is deep and complicated and takes a lot of focus to read, I feel that there are a lot of great messages here in the author’s search for Quality. This was my second time reading this book, and I liked it more this time.
Interlaced with stories from an across-the-west motorcycle trip with his son and some friends, Pirsig tells the story of his past in an almost former life before being admitted to a mental institution a
Charlotte
Aug 10, 2008 Charlotte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes to torture himself.
OK, maybe I'm being a little too harsh. I actually enjoyed the idea of the cross-country motorcycle ride, the details about motorcycle mechanics, and especially the portrayal of the narrator's relationship with his son. The son was the best part of the whole book. Unfortunately, there wasn't much space for sonny, because dad was too busy advertising the author's brilliant philisophical insights. Even more unfortunately, the insights weren't brilliant, and consumed hundreds of tedious pages. It o ...more
Tatiana
Aug 13, 2007 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely good and also important. It's a treatise on metaphysics as well as a compelling story which the author says is autobiographical. It's exactly right about the scientific method, and the way we go about discovering truth as a society and as individuals. The analogy of working on motorcycles is a good one. In my life it's been programming computers and figuring out how to get industrial machinery to work, but the same process works for all of the above.

The thing I find most
Natasha
Jan 04, 2015 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Natasha by: my dad, about 30 years ago
Shelves: education, philosophy
I just re-read this book and HAD to annotate it because it sent my head swimming. I'd studied quite a lot of philosophy since I read it a year and a half ago and so the philosophies didn't go over my head this time.

First, I must say if you find the narrator off-putting, rest assured that the protagonist is NOT the narrator. The narrator is the nemesis who has eclipsed the protagonist; the story reveals their struggle. The introduction of my edition hints at this, but apparently some people haven
Guillermo
Jul 25, 2013 Guillermo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fuck! I hate this. I give up. I can't anymore. The last page I actually read was 217, so I didn't officially "finish" this book, but it will go into my finished pile. I need all the help I can get. My goal was 50 books this year, and Im 8 books behind. I will count this book as read no matter what you say.

You know when you start a roadtrip and everything is awesome and a breath of fresh air in the beginning, but then you're at each other's throats towards the middle? That's what this book was.
Zora
May 21, 2007 Zora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hippies
Shelves: gawdawful
I learned from this book that you can sell a billion copies of a book that no one should ever waste three minutes reading. This is just another neo-philosophy book disguised as a novel. I'm almost convinced that the only reason people buy this book is so that their pseudo-intellectual (read: pompous scumbag) friends will accept them into the hippie circle. Although I know about twenty people who claim to have read this book, I have yet to meet a single person who actually knows what it's about. ...more
Trevor
Jun 27, 2007 Trevor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochistic philosophers
Shelves: abandoned
I started reading this book because i'd heard from a number of people, including comedian Tim Allen, that it was good. In fact i read an entire Tim Allen book ("I'm Not Really Here") which was kind of about his experience reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence. Tim Allen, although not exactly a respectable philosopher (maybe not even just respectable), had some of Robert Pirsig's philosophy without all his inane bullshit. At least Tim Allen's book was funny.

Admittedly, i enjoyed the
Jason Koivu
Jun 25, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author went insane and nearly took me with him! After years of putting this one off, I finally recently read it and was floored by how it was almost nothing like what I expected: motorcycle talk and philosophy. I did not expect the contemplations of a depressing, crazy person. But that's no reason to hate on a book, and I don't hate Zen..., I'm just not in love with it. I was close to giving it only 3 stars mainly for its inability to move. I mean, for a roadtrip book it certainly seems to l ...more
Rebecca
Nov 29, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: angry vets and burn-outs
Okay, I confess I haven't finished it yet. But I'm finding it so irksome I don't know if I'll be able to get all the way through it. Here's what I wrote on my bookmark 50 pages in:
"the author's logic is self-contained, entirely self-referential and so his argument is self-sustaining! He can set up armies of logical strawmen and have them elaborately duke it out in massive rhetorical battles taking place entirely without any grounding in reality.
He has the manic ADDH intelligence of the kind tha
Aaron
Jan 19, 2009 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of those books that I want to rate way higher than 3, but I don't think I'd quite give it a 4. I always have this problem with Netflix too! By reading the random reviews posted about this book, many of them are extremely negative, focusing on the "arrogance" of the narrator or his "absurd" search for quality.

I think if you go into this 400 page novel with the expectation that it will be a light read about a motorcycle trip out West with a couple philosophical insights, you'll p
Daniel Bastian
Jul 21, 2016 Daniel Bastian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'm convinced this is one of those books that somehow made it onto the high school syllabus and just sort of stuck around, with no one ever examining its right to be there. This then created the unwarranted impression that Pirsig's text is a 'classic' or something approaching significance. I say this with only slight reservation, but I don't think there is any kind of genius (misunderstood or otherwise) to be found in this bloviated acid trip. Pirsig warns in the author's note not to expect an a ...more
Kevin
Jul 05, 2007 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this book is not for everyone, and I have certainly heard people say that they found it overblown, pretentious, pointless, etc. but I loved it and found that what I read and my life experiences as I read it formed a didactic and interesting dialectic with the content of the book.

The book itself interstices Pirsig's account of a motorcycle road trip with his son and some friends with the story of his personal and professional struggles developing his philosophy of "the metaphysics of qualit
Wendy
May 23, 2007 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: damngoodread
According to family lore, my brother gave this book to my father when he - my brother - was in college. When my father read it, it apparently made a very deep impression on him, 'cuz he turned around and bought 4 copies and gave one to each of his children.

I refused to read it for years because...well...because my father gave it to me. Sometime after college though, I picked it up and read it for the first time and, for the next 5 years, I read it once a year every June. Clearly, it made a very
Darwin8u
Apr 06, 2016 Darwin8u rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
“When analytic thought, the knife, is applied to experience, something is always killed in the process.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

description

There are parts of this book, and parts of this type of book I really enjoy. But at the exact same time, this whole genre of book (see: Ken Wilber and his oeuvre, especially A Brief History of Everything) really grinds and irritates.* Don't get me wrong, I love Greek philosophy and Zen Buddhism as much as the next guy (or gal) on Go
Jill
Jan 19, 2015 Jill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretentious douchebags
I hated this book. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated it. I'm sad no stars is not actually a rating. This is my least favorite book ever. And I've done a lot of reading.

The problem is that it is written by some guy who apparently thinks he is God's gift to philosophy. And if you don't agree with him, well, you're clearly an idiot. This is not a constructive discussion about ideas, this is a presentation of why Pirsig is right, which, because this is a discussion on philosophy, is debatable. (Exc
Erich
Dec 03, 2007 Erich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophers
Shelves: classics
Readers of Thoreau, Emerson, and Dillard will be entranced with this book. In the best traditions of transcendentalism, Zen is about the journey, and the answers that we find when asking the difficult questions, about fairness, and quality.

You, as the reader, are taken along on a journey. Pirsig writes with his hands and head, and analyzes a concept in much the same way he would diagnose a problem with his motorcycle. You begin with knowledge, and you form it into a tool with which to attack a
Benjamin Haag
Dec 18, 2013 Benjamin Haag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: have-read
I confess that, when I first found this book on the shelf of a small and now-defunct used bookstore, my motivation was it's being one of those books that "everyone," or at least numerous people, read and recommended with that certain degree of enthusiasm and gravitas that spoke deeply to my peer-pressure-obeying 21-year-old self. I also confess that it took about three passes through it to connect it to my life in any meaningful way, due not to the author but to said life and its dearth of exper ...more
Marijan
Mar 02, 2016 Marijan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nisam mogao. jednostavno nisam. život je prekratak za ovako nešto.
Počeo sam čitati knjigu ne znajući o njoj ništa osim naslova. očekivao sam nešto putovanja, nešto filozofiranja i nešto humora (s ovakvim naslovom, tko ne bi?)
Nešto putovanja ima. Filozofiranja-majko moja mila, to pas s maslom ne bi pojeo, na 39% zavrtjelo mi se u glavi i počeo sam pogledavati aku bušilicu pokraj police razmišljajući da li da si probušim glavu na jednom ili na dva mjesta. Nije to za mene.
humoru, dakako, ni traga.
Paul
Dec 03, 2008 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
i kept on reading this book hoping ever more desperately as i got deeper in for some real insight and revelation. Why had so many people recommended it? Why did people say it changed their life?

Over 400 pages all the book clumsily manages to ask is: "Are my priorities straight in this consciousness-addled, consumerist culture?"

The protagonist's answer: "i don't know. i'm going crazy."

Pop philosophy meets a second-rate, "On the Road" ripoff.

Andre
Feb 18, 2009 Andre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Winnie Fong
Recommended to Andre by: Karissa
You know, just to give you some perspective, I was somewhere in the middle of Act III when I recognized a horrible habit of mine. I like to find out how many pages are in the current chapter that I'm reading. It seemed like, possibly multiple times in a single page, I'd double check how many pages I had left until I finished it... or how many pages left until the next act.

Pirsig said:

To the untrained eye ego-climbing and selfless climbing may appear identical. Both kinds of climbers place one fo
Carolyn
Jul 14, 2008 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Meghan Anderson
Recommended to Carolyn by: Jim Parker
I decided to finish the book I've been reading all summer: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. I've had a lot of complaints about this book, as I read it. It was a rather grueling endeavor, certainly not most people's idea of summer reading. Having just finished the book, however, I can say that it was well worth the experience. This book turns on its head our idea of what it means to be sane. The book can be described as generally a thesis on substance, form, and spir ...more
Wheels
Oct 27, 2008 Wheels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard to know where to begin. This is the type of book I know I'll reread every few years, alongside Dune and Fear and Loathing (strange company). I've kept it in my bag just to go back over highlighted sections and make sure it remains useful.

Pirsig essentially tries to break down the ways people make value judgments and how they reason. At the center of this is how we view and react to aspects of technology. He splits it up into classic (function) and romantic (form) all while narrating a cross
Christopher
Read young and never looked back.

At this point the only thing I remember, even vaguely, is the discussion on 'quality.' Which led me to reading the Plato myself.

While this book is not philosophy, it is philosophical. The detractors out there can think of it as sloppy new-age mysticism, a poorly constructed novel, a deficient stab at serious thought. That's ok. (But if you do, I urge you to read the serious stuff and see how much of it ends up reminding you of "Phaedrus'" academic fate.)

I am, p
Jim
I have read this book at least 8 times over the years. An excellent metaphysical discussion blended with a father-son road trip. Inspired me to look into early Greek philosophy and explore my beliefs about rationality and the scientific method.
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • Zen in the Art of Archery
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  • The Gnostic Gospels
  • Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
  • The Nicomachean Ethics
  • Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics (Perennial Classics)
Robert Maynard Pirsig is an American writer and philosopher, mainly known as the author of the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values, (1974), which has sold millions of copies around the world.

More about Robert M. Pirsig...

“The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there.” 655 likes
“When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.” 617 likes