Start by marking “Dakota's Revenge” as Want to Read:
Dakota's Revenge

Dakota's Revenge

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Despite her Mormon faith, seventeen-year-old Dakota hates her new home in Arizona, sabotages her mother's remarriage, and plots revenge against the boys who have worsened her poor self-esteem by publicly insulting her.
Published September 9th 1998 by Shadow Mountain (first published September 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Dakota's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dakota's Revenge

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Giver by Lois LowryTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
LDS Book Club Reads
117th out of 432 books — 248 voters
Fablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
247th out of 272 books — 253 voters

More lists with this book...

Darla
Jul 27, 2009 Darla rated it liked it
(Genre: LDS teen fiction) 2 1/2 to 3 stars. Virginia:"Isn't life supposed to be like a box of chocolates?" Dakota:"Only if your life is really good. My life is more like a package of frozen mixed vegetables. You still never know what you're going to get, but you're relatively sure it's not dessert."
I was a little surprised by this book. I was pretty sure that it wouldn't be the best Janette Rallison book that I have read (and it wasn't), but I liked it more than I thought I would. Rallison has a
Rosalyn Eves
May 19, 2009 Rosalyn Eves rated it liked it
This book was tagged as LDS lit, which initially surprised me, since the other books I've read by Janette Rallison weren't overtly religious. But I ended up enjoying it, even though I'm typically leery of LDS fiction. Dakota, an overweight teenage girl who excels academically, moves to Arizona after her single mother decides she needs more LDS dating options. Shortly after moving, however, she runs afoul of a trio of rude young men, and she and her best friend Jen concoct a fitting revenge for t ...more
Jessica
Feb 22, 2010 Jessica rated it did not like it
I have liked everything by this author I have read so far, except this book. It is teen Mormon fiction. Bad teen Mormon fiction. Very goody goody, everything works out for the best and we learn and grow and build our tender testimonies. Not at all what I have come to expect from the author. Anyhow, I have now been enlightened. I will only read her most recent books. Meanwhile, I am glad she has improved.
Kate
Nov 29, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. It is LDS fiction and I loved the voice of the character, I loved what she learned about herself and about how she needs to become.
Christy
May 26, 2009 Christy rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this book. I have really liked all of her other books that I read, but this one just wasn't funny like the rest.
Lisa
Jun 15, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, lds
Great for teenage girls! Story of a girl who moves to a new town and is teased by peers who are members of the LDS ward she attends.
Breanna
Jun 09, 2010 Breanna rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I read this one awhile back. It was good, but it wasn't my favorite book of hers.
Jenilyn
Jun 02, 2009 Jenilyn rated it liked it
For LDS fiction, this was pretty good. Janette Rallison's later stuff is much better.
Alicia
Jul 15, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it
I am normally leery of LDS fiction, but I wanted to try some Janette Rallison and this book was all the library had at the time. It had all the elements of LDS fiction that make me gnash my teeth, but wasn't as bad as it could have been. The sections on scripture reading and gospel discussions weren't as forced as I've seen in the past. Because I was relieved about this, I gave it an extra star.

It was moderately funny. The main character was interesting. The plot was a little slow and sometimes
Kathryn
Jan 26, 2015 Kathryn rated it liked it
Cute, fun read that just goes to show that what goes around comes back to you. Realistic high school atmosphere and feelings of a teenager as she's uprooted from her familiar home and her mom starts to date with the intent of marriage.
Kathleen
Feb 01, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
This book had me crying because of how true to the mark it was. I could identify with Dakota very strongly because of things I struggled with in my own past, to it hit very close to home for me.
Claudia
Nov 28, 2015 Claudia rated it did not like it
By the end of the first page I knew I wasn't going to like this book. I didn't make it past the 3rd chapter. I didn't like it all. I was not a bit interested in finding out how the book ends or what happens.
Katie W
Aug 06, 2010 Katie W rated it liked it
This was a different book by Janette Rallison. Dakota is an LDS girl who's dad died in an accident four years ago. Her mom decides that the dating pool isn't all that great in Indiana, so she moves the family to Arizona. Dakota has to learn to live with bullies, to accept herself, and to realize what's really important. I love Rallison's writing style!
TK
Feb 16, 2012 TK rated it really liked it
I was a little disappointed to discover this wasn't Rallison's usual rom-com, but it was still a well-written story with an excellent message. Though it was a little difficult for me to relate to the main character, she certainly changed my perspective. As always, there were laugh-out-loud moments while grappling with serious issues.
Alyssa
May 28, 2009 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
I rate this as a five simply from all of the verbage about Arizona. It had me and Jim both laughing so hard (I only read the AZ parts so he wouldn't go crazy over a chick-flick-book). The story is fun and sweet and the main character Dakota learns a lot- overall, a great read with good lessons for life.
Krista Darrach
Jun 12, 2009 Krista Darrach rated it it was amazing
What a cute cute book. Hillarious. On several occations my husband came into the room to see what was so funny. A couple of times I read him what I thought was so funny...he laughed too.
I enjoyed this book a lot, even though there wasn't a Romance (I love romance)
Awesome job Janette!
Patricia
Jul 16, 2013 Patricia rated it liked it
I could swear I have read this book before, pre-goodreads.com, but I finished it anyway. It is hard for me to read about revenge, deception, etc., so that probably accounts for my rating. Otherwise, a good book by Janette Rallison.
MJ
Apr 24, 2011 MJ rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing and inspiring!!! Anyone who is in need of a good book can read this. If you are in need of a good example of forgiveness, READ THIS BOOK!!!
MaKayle
Feb 24, 2009 MaKayle rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Is a middle/high school girl read. I remember relating to the main character quite a bit and I loved this author's other book "Deep Blue Eyes and Other Lies"
Kristy
Mar 15, 2010 Kristy rated it liked it
This one was pretty fun. I didn't like the fact that Dakota was 180 pounds & was portrayed as morbidly obese...
Karijean31
Feb 24, 2011 Karijean31 rated it liked it
This book was a lot of fun to read...it was full of fluff just like I like it.
Heather Clark
Aug 23, 2007 Heather Clark rated it liked it
Shelves: youngadult
This book felt real. The main character reminded me of me.
Melissa Hunt
Jan 29, 2009 Melissa Hunt rated it liked it
It was alright for a teens lds book. easy read
Brandon
Aug 24, 2008 Brandon rated it it was amazing
My sister wrote this book!
Artiste
Artiste rated it it was ok
May 01, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Joan
Joan added it
Mar 09, 2016
Beatrice Chavula
Beatrice Chavula marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Masquerade
  • Meet Your Match
  • To Catch a Falling Star
  • A Greater Love
  • Without a Flaw
  • Where the Heart Leads
  • A Time To Die (Shandra Covington, #3)
  • Comfort
  • A Shadow's Bliss (The Tales of the Jewelled Men, #4)
  • Chester, I Love You
  • Punch and Cookies Forever: And Other Stories for LDS Youth
  • Forgotten Notes
Check out my awesome book trailers!
My Unfair Godmother:
My Fair Godmother: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up1jF8...
Just One Wish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1Nce...
My Double Life

Janette Rallison has five children who keep her well supplied with plot ideas, sometimes even making cameo appearances in her novels. She
More about Janette Rallison...