Start by marking “Skeleton Crew: Selections” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Crew: Selections

Skeleton Crew: Selections

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  2,313 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Four complete and unabridged selections from the electrifying bestseller read by a stellar group of narrators.

“The Raft” is the unforgettable tale of an idyllic autumn swim suddenly transformed into an ordeal of unbridled horror. Read by Stephen King.

“Mrs. Todd’s Shortcut” is a story in which a middle-aged woman in a Mercedes roadster finds a terrifying pathway to paradis
Audio CD, 315 pages
Published April 8th 2009 by Penguin-HighBridge (first published June 21st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Crew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Crew

Jan 25, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it
Matthew Broderick read one of the stories. He did a good job, but I couldn't stop thinking he was Ferris Bueller.
Bunny
I got a buttload of King audiobooks recently. Trying to space them out, but I couldn't resist re-listening to this. I've always loved King short stories, and these are some of the best.
----

It's been awhile since I read this, but the stories that made an impression then are just as good as I remembered. Thoughts per interesting story:

The Mist: I actually skipped this one. It's 5 hours of Stephen King-itude, and it drags for me. I have read it before, and it is a great and creepy story, but it's
Melissa
I very much enjoyed this collection. A few of the stories weren't really for me, but for the most part it was solidly entertaining, with some gems scattered throughout. It was also very ably narrated, with excellent inflection and easily distinguishable character voices which made for pleasant, easy listening.

Skeleton Crew opens with the novella The Mist, which I skipped over due to having read it as a standalone piece last year. Still, it's one that I enjoyed at the time, more so than the recen
Andy
Sep 24, 2008 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you know who
Recommended to Andy by: probably the scholastic book fair?
So I admit it. I was a Stephen King junkie at an early age. How could I not be growing up in New Hampshire and traveling to Maine every damn year. The Skeleton Crew was one of my favorites because (1.) I actually quite like the short story format and (2.) one of the stories, The Mist, not only took place in Bridgton, ME but it references Long Lake (which is connected to Sebago Lake by Brandy Pond via the Songo River and one of the last hand operated locks in the country -- The Songo Locks). Oh y ...more
Teresa Himes
May 04, 2015 Teresa Himes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Spoilers ahead**
The Mist
Great story. Back in Maine, where we love to be. David is a scumbag for screwing Amanda. I like the non ending of the book way more than I like the end of the movie.
Here There Be Tygers
Super short story. Happy, I guess. The kid has to piss in the sink but the bitch teacher gets eaten by the tiger. So, it all works out. Why did he keep calling the bathroom the basement??
The Monkey
Creepy old toys! This reminded me of the chattery teeth or the toy soldiers.
Mrs. Todd's Sho
David Haws
Jun 04, 2015 David Haws rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king
David Drayton (The Mist) tells us “It took me twenty years of living with my father to accept the idea that being good could be good enough.” I can feel King assuaging his cognitive dissonance with the line. King’s short fiction is significantly better than his long narrative precisely because he gives them enough time to be better than good enough. Here There Be Tygers feels almost perfect. The Wedding Gig and Mrs. Todd’s Shortcut are also remarkable. The Mist seems like writing to a template, ...more
Marco Cunqueiro
Apr 06, 2010 Marco Cunqueiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeleton Crew, an amazing novel, jam packed with fascinating short stories that astonish the mind. One of these being "The Mist".

After a violent and crushing thunderstorm takes place in Bridgton, Maine, an unnatural mist envelopes the town. The mist hides evil creatures that attack anyone who comes into the open. The story is mainly in a supermarket, with people who are trapped there while shopping. The story is told through David Drayton, who is in the supermarket with his son Billy and neighbo
Luke Harrington
Feb 02, 2013 Luke Harrington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For whatever it's worth, this was the first time I bothered to sit down and read a Stephen King book from beginning to end. (I figured that I probably should, given that he's the only famous contemporary author that most people who don't read books can name.) This short story collection presented a pretty good cross-section of his capabilties -- stories range from visceral and gruesome to slow and ponderous -- and it gave me a pretty good understanding of why so many love him and so many hate hi ...more
Rj Money
While Stephen King is popularly known for his novels such as It, Cujo, and the Shining, King has also written a stellar number of novellas and short stories. Popular novellas such as The Mist and The Body were made into successful movies (The Mist and Stand By Me).

"Skeleton Crew" is an intense collection of short stories (including the novella The Mist) that constantly leaves the reader in shock and fear.

From "Survivor Type", a bone chilling short story about a surgeon who -stranded alone on a
Alex
Dec 18, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King from the start has delivered great novels. Skeleton Crew is in the my top list of his masterpieces. This book contains many chilling short stories that I guarantee Stephen King fans and horror reading fans will love. Each story fluidly introduces characters and greatly takes you on a captivating adventure.

Stephen King puts a lot of detail in his story that puts you in the situation and I was surprised how he could have such talent even when writing the smallest stories. Skeleton Cr
Brian Hodges
As a whole this story collection wasn't all that hot, but it's worth picking up for it's first story alone. "THE MIST" is about a bunch of people who barricade themselves inside a supermarket after a strange mist brings with it a horde of hideous flesh-eating monsters. There's horror, action and suspense. But there is also plenty of character development and intrigue in the 100 or so pages as the survivors split into two divided camps. And the "one-word" ending is one of the most bonechilling th ...more
Steven H.
This was my first book I've read from this author. I have to mention that I've read the Dutch translation of this book that contains only three stories, namely; The Mist, Here There Be Tygers and The Monkey.

The Mist as being the longest story was the one that I found least amusing and with the most disappointing ending [But less disappointing than the movie ending]. The other two stories with Here There Be Tygers as the shortest one were more satisfying, with The Monkey as the number one story
Mark R.
Feb 01, 2011 Mark R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
****1/2

Wonderful collection of early Stephen King stories. "Skeleton Crew" opens with the novella, "The Mist," a great "monster story" about people trapped in a grocery store encased in a mysterious fog, with an unknown enemy all around.

There aren't any bad stories in this collection. A few that are decent, maybe a couple that could be a few pages shorter--but for the most part, this is a solid book, with a number of quite excellent stories, including "The Monkey" and "The Raft," some of the we
Tim Kimber
A fun collection of short stories, predominantly analogous, often funny, and occasionally gory beyond measure. 'The Mist' is good, but the film actually improves on the ending; 'The Jaunt' is the most harrowing, despite its flawed 1950s sci-fi science; 'The Raft' is bloody and horrible and sickening, and therefore well worth a go; 'The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet' is an excellent retelling of a writer's dangerous paranoia.

More on King and this collection here:

Julio Cesar Cesar
Compilación de trece historias cortas de terror, la mitad de ellas me gustaron por el elemento misterioso y sorpresivo que maneja el autor al presentar situaciones descabelladas tomadas con naturalidad, maldiciones, locura, planetas extraños, personajes repulsivos, psicopatía cotidiana y giros inesperados al mayoreo. Es de fácil lectura por tratarse de historias cortas, pero no lo recomiendo mucho, no me gustó tanto.
Cody
Jul 09, 2015 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of my favorite of King's short works in this volume. The Mist in particular is excellent. The Raft, Beachworld, and Survivor Type are probably my favorites, wonderfully dark.

I often punctuate reading some of King's longer works with these collections. Though they often highlight one of my only gripes with many of his novels: they're simply longer than necessary. He does an exceptional job of telling good, gripping, tense stories in very short order. Skeleton Crew is a fine example.
James
Jun 17, 2008 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this way back in high school, and it's one of the first books I read on my own choosing, ie not required by school. I highly recommend the short story, The Mist, one of his first I believe, far better than the movie-version. There's another excellent short story that made it's way into the Creepshow movies, about a monster on the lake.
Anne
Jul 01, 2008 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I only read this book because it has been our bookshelf forever and I had really liked "The Green Mile." Turns out I didn't like this Stephen King so much. It is a book of all short stories. While I did like some of the stories, most I either didn't like or simply didn't understand. The nice thing was that most of the stories could be read in one sitting.
George
May 29, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four novellas in one, each a little different and creepy. Ably narrated, each...stories range from visceral and gruesome to slow and ponderous. The short stories are a bit difficult to follow if you only listen occasionally--probably better if you do each one all at once. The author crams a lot of detail into each story.
AsianWonderGod
Feb 07, 2008 AsianWonderGod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE THAT I KNOW.
the mist: great story till the end & stephen king once again ruins another great story.

***OK I'm finally finished with this stupid book... I really enjoyed most of the short stories at the beginning of the book and towards the end the f*@king FORNIT can die.

I recommend this book if you like to read short stories that are AWESOME until the endings.
Lisa
May 31, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VERY suspenseful...Stephen King did not disappoint in the book. My mind always goes back the "The Mist" story every time we have fog outside. He writes so you have a painting in your mind about the place, characters, and the events that are happening.
Christine
Oct 02, 2008 Christine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: king
Book was a birthday present from a fellow classmate in elementary school. Ended up being one of the reasons I got hooked into SK's style of writing, and have kept reading his books all these years.
All it took... was a silly gift. : )
Thanks Courtney
Hazi
May 16, 2016 Hazi rated it liked it
It was alright. I did the audio book and I think I would have enjoyed it more with different voice ctors. Uncle Stevie reads The Raft. The story was creepy but I thinks King should stick to the writing.
Chris
Jul 15, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains one of the most gruesome stories ever, "Survivor Type."
Jami
Apr 18, 2008 Jami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a looooong time ago and decided that I wanted to read some good Stephen King. There are some terrific stories in here.
Darlene
Feb 25, 2010 Darlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reread this in audio on a long drive. But I still like the book better.
Robert Furness
Nov 19, 2011 Robert Furness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Already read the Mist, picked this one up mainly for the The Monkey, loved it a quick read. Good Stuff. Ill probably check out the others when i get a chance.
K
Mar 12, 2015 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the majority, but there was one I didn't enjoy.
Wendi
Feb 05, 2012 Wendi rated it it was amazing
A story read by King (the Raft) & my favorite short story of all time (Ms Todd's Shortcut) all in one place. Makes me happy.
  • Night Visions 5
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • The Cleanup
  • The Ransome Women; The Things The Left Behind (Transgressions: Novellas 7 & 8)
  • Dread
  • Rage
  • Lot No. 249 (Fantasy and Horror Classics)
  • Misery
  • We're All in This Together: A Novella and Stories
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
  • McSweeney's #27
  • Obra Completa
  • Echoes from the Macabre: Selected Stories
  • Dispatch
  • Stories Volume 1
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 3
More about Stephen King...