Start by marking “The Witch's Child” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Child

The Witch's Child

In this scary story, a witch who desires a child of her own makes a rag doll but cannot bring it to life. In her anger, she decides if she cant have a child, no one can. Then a little girl stumbles into the witchs house and discovers the doll, and her affection for the doll brings it to life. Full color.
Published October 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Child

george
Jul 03, 2008 george rated it liked it
An evil, horrible witch takes pleasure in tormenting others and has pretty much all she wants. Except a child. So one day, she makes a doll out of straw and her hair and tries everything she can think of to bring the child to life. But nothing works and eventually the witch attmepts to get other children to play with Rosalie (her daughter). But after the children almost tear Rosalie apart, the witch becomes enraged and turns all the living children into torn bushes and abandons Rosalie. Much lat ...more
Cheryl
Jun 21, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This could have been amazing. The illustrations of the witch and the doll are fantastic, as are toys, trees, thornbushes, witch's house (note the andirons). The contrast between the beginning and ending endpapers is smart. Naming the witch Rosina, such a pretty, gentle name, reminding one of garden roses, is inspired. (Don't forget that roses have thorns, of course.)

But the illustrations of the children are, imo, workmanlike. Their fate is dissonant, somehow. The text seems, to me, to plod along
Thomas
Jul 29, 2010 Thomas rated it it was amazing
I normally don't comment on children's books, but both my five year old and I loved this one. ("Read it again!" she begged.) It's creepy and haunting in the tradition that the original Grimm brother's fairy tales were scary.

It reminded me in good ways of a gothic short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne called "Feathertop." In classic fairy tale fashion, the wicked are punished, and love truimphs, but this is startling and darkly imaginative work, and pleasure to read for both adults and children.
Kathryn
This book is not child appropriate as far as I'm concerned. Maybe for older children? But I would put it in the fairy tales section rather than the regular stories collection. It's terrifying, and not in a "I know what the ending will be" way. It's like reading Hansel and Gretel for the first time and being like, they were kidnapped (or abandoned) and now they murdered someone. I guess that this is a lesson to be a good parent or your children will end up in jail.
Kate
Feb 08, 2008 Kate rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: ??
Shelves: horror, picture-book
Evil witch wants a child, but can't have one (?) so she creates a creepy scarecrow-looking child out of leaves and cloth, but the doll remains an inanimate object. When the witch takes the child out to play with real children, the bewitched real children start tearing her apart!! Angered, the witch transforms the real children into thorny branches. In the end, another child (the last one left in town?) has the power to transform the doll into a living entity.

This is shelved in the picture books
Krista
Jul 12, 2016 Krista rated it did not like it
This is a creepy picture book. Lets start with the illustrations my kids commented how creepy they are, as well as, scary.
The story its self, a witch wants a child makes a creepy one out of straw, screams in its face. Then gets mad at the world for it not coming to life. Little girl comes to the door, brings the creepy straw girl to life. Then the witch comes after her with a knife. Then witch dies by fire.
Plus could the witch die any other way but fire? Come on been done in every witch book.
Th
Deborah
Jan 12, 2011 Deborah rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, picture-book
A witch wants a child and creates one. Rosalie is made of straw and given life. But the other kids don't accept Rosalie. The witch takes revenge and turns the children into thorny bushes for treating her daughter poorly. When a little girl meets Rosalie and shows her love, Rosalie saves her from the wrath of the witch who would kill her new friend.

Creepy pictures. Elementary school age kids may enjoy an actually creepy picture book.
Kara
Jul 11, 2012 Kara rated it did not like it
The cover was so promising, and it was on the bargain books shelf at Half Price Books for only $2, so I bought it without reading first. Sadly, the story is the typical "witch is bad, threatens to eat a child, gets burned up and everyone else lives happily ever after" spiel. I might donate this to the library or something, because I won't perpetuate this witch stereotype to the children in my life. It could have been scary and still had some redemption in the end. Too bad it didn't.
(NS) Lauren
Oct 17, 2009 (NS) Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Grade/Interest Level: 2-5

This low-fantasy picture book highlights the supernatural, and features haunting illustrations that tell the tale of an evil witch named Rosina. Rosina is able to cast spells and can use magic for everything except bringing a straw doll to life. As the doll continues to remain lifeless, Rosina wreaks havoc on the children of the neighborhood until one girl finds the secret to making the doll come alive.

Kathleen Ruff
Mar 03, 2011 Kathleen Ruff rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-for-fun
This book was an okay book. The classroom it was found in was too young for the book. Although is was an interesting book I would only make this available to read in older classroom. This would be a great book for students learning to write lengthy book reports. It is not to long but has plenty of substance to it.
Dolly
Oct 18, 2014 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, halloween, 2014
This is a scary, but entertaining story about a witch who wanted a child. The narrative is dramatic, but the illlustrations really bring out the creepiness of the story.

The tale does not directly reference Halloween, but it's a great time of year to read the book. I would recommend this for older children, since the story is quite creepy. We enjoyed reading it together.
Cris
Dec 09, 2013 Cris rated it it was ok
Surprisingly creepy. I wouldn't recommend The Witch's Child for anyone younger than 5 or 6. Yes, the story is rather dark, but I found the images to be especially effective in conveying the horror. (The images are *creepy*!)
Kayla
Oct 19, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it
There wasn't anything about this that was particularly impressive to me, but my second graders loved it. Anytime there was free read time, they asked me to read it to them again. Definitely one of their favorites out of all the ones from the Halloween collection this year!
Pauline
Jul 15, 2008 Pauline rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All of a sudden this is one of Robby's favorites...which is weird because it's kind of a spooky story! Anyway, I rate the children's books based on his enjoyment; and by that I mean how many times he asks me to read a particular book!
Chris
Feb 21, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
This spooky little story would be a hair-raising tale for Children 8-10. Sensitive or overly imaginative children might be frightened by the horrible witch Rosina. Jos. A. Smith's richly detailed watercolor illustrations make the story come to life on the page.
Shevonne
Mar 13, 2008 Shevonne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children
This book was a really cute story showing that even if you shower someone with gifts and other material possessions, it is never a substitute for love. The kids and I loved it.
Rmschow
Nov 10, 2010 Rmschow rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
This book is freaky and disturbing for kids (and adults). I don't know what the author and publisher was thinking.
Rida
Apr 08, 2014 Rida rated it did not like it
I'd give it a 0 if I could I mean I just wasted 3 min of my life reading this gunk!
Rachel
Nov 22, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: kind-of-random
Creepy.
I wonder why this is a childrens book.
And I know love is the answer and everything, but after Harry Potter that's getting to be a typical ending.
I did like the pictures though.
Michelle
Sep 12, 2016 Michelle rated it did not like it
Would you like your child to have nightmares? Read them this book! Between the content and the haunting illustrations you'll have a scared child on your hands!
Adelyn
Jan 29, 2016 Adelyn added it
Adelyn liked the pictures and is fascinated with stories about witches that live in the woods :)
Elizabeth
May 18, 2008 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-lit
seriously, I haven't read a more horrifying book in a long time. C-r-e-e-p-y in a way that isn't fun at all, especially for CHILDREN.
Tiffany
Oct 25, 2011 Tiffany rated it did not like it
This is a picture book but I found it a little freaky especially when I could be reading it to a young child. I didn't like it at all.
Carter Boone
Mar 08, 2013 Carter Boone rated it did not like it
it is a very dark book it was the scariest book i ever read
Alisa
Oct 02, 2012 Alisa rated it really liked it
Sweet story of a mean witch who just wants a child, creates one out of rags and it comes to life. Collin LOVES this book.
Kiera
Jan 26, 2010 Kiera rated it liked it
Good illustrations, a little moralizing, but a happy ending for all the kids.
Lake
Lake rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2008
Sierra Schetagne
Sierra Schetagne rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Andréa
Andréa rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2016