Start by marking “The Witch's Child” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Child

The Witch's Child

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In this scary story, a witch who desires a child of her own makes a rag doll but cannot bring it to life. In her anger, she decides if she cant have a child, no one can. Then a little girl stumbles into the witchs house and discovers the doll, and her affection for the doll brings it to life. Full color.
Published October 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Child

george
An evil, horrible witch takes pleasure in tormenting others and has pretty much all she wants. Except a child. So one day, she makes a doll out of straw and her hair and tries everything she can think of to bring the child to life. But nothing works and eventually the witch attmepts to get other children to play with Rosalie (her daughter). But after the children almost tear Rosalie apart, the witch becomes enraged and turns all the living children into torn bushes and abandons Rosalie. Much lat ...more
Thomas
I normally don't comment on children's books, but both my five year old and I loved this one. ("Read it again!" she begged.) It's creepy and haunting in the tradition that the original Grimm brother's fairy tales were scary.

It reminded me in good ways of a gothic short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne called "Feathertop." In classic fairy tale fashion, the wicked are punished, and love truimphs, but this is startling and darkly imaginative work, and pleasure to read for both adults and children.
Dolly
Oct 18, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2014, childrens, halloween
This is a scary, but entertaining story about a witch who wanted a child. The narrative is dramatic, but the illlustrations really bring out the creepiness of the story.

The tale does not directly reference Halloween, but it's a great time of year to read the book. I would recommend this for older children, since the story is quite creepy. We enjoyed reading it together.
Kate
Feb 08, 2008 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ??
Shelves: picture-book, horror
Evil witch wants a child, but can't have one (?) so she creates a creepy scarecrow-looking child out of leaves and cloth, but the doll remains an inanimate object. When the witch takes the child out to play with real children, the bewitched real children start tearing her apart!! Angered, the witch transforms the real children into thorny branches. In the end, another child (the last one left in town?) has the power to transform the doll into a living entity.

This is shelved in the picture books
Rida
I'd give it a 0 if I could I mean I just wasted 3 min of my life reading this gunk!
Kara
The cover was so promising, and it was on the bargain books shelf at Half Price Books for only $2, so I bought it without reading first. Sadly, the story is the typical "witch is bad, threatens to eat a child, gets burned up and everyone else lives happily ever after" spiel. I might donate this to the library or something, because I won't perpetuate this witch stereotype to the children in my life. It could have been scary and still had some redemption in the end. Too bad it didn't.
(NS) Lauren
Grade/Interest Level: 2-5

This low-fantasy picture book highlights the supernatural, and features haunting illustrations that tell the tale of an evil witch named Rosina. Rosina is able to cast spells and can use magic for everything except bringing a straw doll to life. As the doll continues to remain lifeless, Rosina wreaks havoc on the children of the neighborhood until one girl finds the secret to making the doll come alive.

Deborah
A witch wants a child and creates one. Rosalie is made of straw and given life. But the other kids don't accept Rosalie. The witch takes revenge and turns the children into thorny bushes for treating her daughter poorly. When a little girl meets Rosalie and shows her love, Rosalie saves her from the wrath of the witch who would kill her new friend.

Creepy pictures. Elementary school age kids may enjoy an actually creepy picture book.
Kathleen Ruff
This book was an okay book. The classroom it was found in was too young for the book. Although is was an interesting book I would only make this available to read in older classroom. This would be a great book for students learning to write lengthy book reports. It is not to long but has plenty of substance to it.
Chris
This spooky little story would be a hair-raising tale for Children 8-10. Sensitive or overly imaginative children might be frightened by the horrible witch Rosina. Jos. A. Smith's richly detailed watercolor illustrations make the story come to life on the page.
Cris
Surprisingly creepy. I wouldn't recommend The Witch's Child for anyone younger than 5 or 6. Yes, the story is rather dark, but I found the images to be especially effective in conveying the horror. (The images are *creepy*!)
Pauline
All of a sudden this is one of Robby's favorites...which is weird because it's kind of a spooky story! Anyway, I rate the children's books based on his enjoyment; and by that I mean how many times he asks me to read a particular book!
Timnah
▲ Rachel
Creepy.
I wonder why this is a childrens book.
And I know love is the answer and everything, but after Harry Potter that's getting to be a typical ending.
I did like the pictures though.
Shevonne
Mar 13, 2008 Shevonne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
This book was a really cute story showing that even if you shower someone with gifts and other material possessions, it is never a substitute for love. The kids and I loved it.
Tiffany
This is a picture book but I found it a little freaky especially when I could be reading it to a young child. I didn't like it at all.
Elizabeth
seriously, I haven't read a more horrifying book in a long time. C-r-e-e-p-y in a way that isn't fun at all, especially for CHILDREN.
Alisa
Sweet story of a mean witch who just wants a child, creates one out of rags and it comes to life. Collin LOVES this book.
Rmschow
This book is freaky and disturbing for kids (and adults). I don't know what the author and publisher was thinking.
Kiera
Good illustrations, a little moralizing, but a happy ending for all the kids.
Tommy
Jan 19, 2008 Tommy marked it as read_me_piles
uh, too scary looking for my kids. waiting til they are 18 .. maybe.
Carter Boone
it is a very dark book it was the scariest book i ever read
Emily
it was good
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Carina Arellano
Carina Arellano marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015