Start by marking “People of the Earth” as Want to Read:
People of the Earth

People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,889 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Thousands of years ago, small hunting bands crossed the fragile land bridge linking the Eurasian continent to the Americas and discovered a land untouched by humankind. Over the centuries that followed, their descendents spread throughout this land. Bestselling authors and award-winning archaeologists W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O?Neal Gear bring the stories of these firs ...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about People of the Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Earth

Melissa
The First North Americans series is a prehistoric fiction series written by the husband/wife team of Michael & Kathleen Gear. People of the Earth is the third book in that series, and actually the best one I've read out of the first three.

White Ash was kidnapped as a child from the Earth people by a man of the Sun people. Which was actually ok with her. Her adoptive parents were much nicer than her original family. But hostile tribes are attacking the Sun people now and they are being forced
Julie
This novel, based on the archeology of authors W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear as well as others, explores the mythology and relationships between native peoples living 5000 years ago in what is now Montana and Wyoming. I was thoroughly engrossed. Character driven novels enthrall me.
Elfdart
i’ve read a few books in this series and i’d have to say that this one’s my favourites. I liked the perspectives from which the authors presented their characters. it was a kind of pensive, but not seriously so… meaning that there are little tidbits to think over every now and again but these tidbits are by no means the focus of the book, more a backdrop to the story, and they don’t really inspire any intense thought, just more of a lazy sunday afternoon pondering kind of thought. if that makes ...more
Carol Storm
An unforgettable gallery of characters makes this ancient saga of North American Indians come alive.

The year is 5000 B.C. Somewhere in the West, ancient Indian tribes are battline for supremacy, lead by competing "Soul Fliers" or shamans, each with a radically different vision for the ages yet to come in North America.

BRAVE MAN -- the power-mad psychopath, whose twisted Vision leads him to kill and rape while dreaming uncanny prophecies of the untold might of the Aztec Empire!

WHITE ASH -- the
Kimberly Beatty
I have not been able to put this series down since I first found it a few months ago. It is written by a husband and wife who are both Archaeologists. They have written a series of books called The First North Americans, as well as each writing their own individual books. Though the stories are mainly fictional, they are supplemented by real archaeological and historical findings and facts. Very intense at moments and really sad at others, overall, an excellent read.
Jessica
This is the second book of this series that I have read and I enjoyed this one just as much as the first. The Gears have a knack for creating a complex, interwoven tale with many characters that, despite the length of the novel, keeps you interested and invested till the end. Just when you think they've forgotten a story thread they tie it back into the story, which is the sign of careful and skilled authorship. The story was a bit repetitious as times and a bit too long, which could could grate ...more
Adam Sprague
By far the worst book I've read by these authors. 500 pages of repetition ending with a 10 page climax. This book would have been better at 200 pages. Very disappointing since a few of the characters were pretty interesting.
Bryan Richard
A really great book and I enjoyed it completely. It is the 3rd. book in a series. I really enjoy this type of subject matter. It was written by a husband and wife team. (They were both arachaeologists).
Darby
It was long ago when I read this book but I remember enjoying it. It had war, history, love and suffering. It is good historical fiction series.
Theresa
Interesting story about how the plains people spread out. I love the battle of power at the end.
Theresa
People of the Earth
The story begins with a description of common practice in modern times of project managers wanting to hurry their projects as the consequence of history.

White ash is a dreamer, who is taken by power from her people to allow her to grow up with love and understanding. In an attempt to change the future he strived to change the path of man from harmony to discord. White ash must face her greatest fears, and learn to love in the impossible areas to learn to dream back the people
Donna
Painfully slow.....but I'm determined to read the whole series
Fredrick Danysh
Ancient natives in what is now North America are facing troubling times. Clans are splitting into separate tribes and killing off each other for limited resources constantly moving south. White Ash is stolen as a girl by the White Clay people. In another clan Still Water becomes a cripple. After White Ash is almost raped by a friend she is captured by another man as her people are destroyed. But spiritual power comes to her and Still Water as they are destined to battle a eevil spirit dreamer fr ...more
Good Reads Missoula, MT
Matt D
An excellent book in the Native American series by the Gears. It gets off to a bit of a slow start, establishing multiple main characters in several different clans. But once they have everything established, the book builds momentum until the conclusion. They do a wonderful job of weaving each individual story together by the end of the book. One of the better ones in the series.
Carolina Montague
I liked this even more than the first book, People of the Wolf. I've read it a number of times :-)

What I loved was the depth of engagement in Power, which is pretty much awakening and god-realization, but in this book, firmly grounded in Native American spirituality of this time period. I always learn something more with each of the Gear books.

Joanie
Don't pay attention to the comic book cover on the paperback--this is a well-written novel about the tribes who first settled the Americas. It's fiction, obviously, but is based on what we know of these tribes from archaelogical finds. Great adventure, suspense and spirituality all mixed together.
Chloe
This was terrible. Went into it thinking it was historical fiction. Instead a bad romance novel with flat characters and contrived plot lines that tries to pose as something with historical interest. I am not one for romance novels to begin with... but regardless, this was sooo bad.
Suanne
This is the third of a seemingly endless series. I enjoyed #1, #2 was less appealing, by the time I finished the third, I felt I'd read #1 and #2 all over again, very repetitive recycling of the same basic story. Didn't finish the series, which is very rare for me.
Matthew
While this book is fiction, the events it contains are lessons that could be extrapolated to the modern world. This is an adventure of monumental proportions that stretched the eastern part of the modern United States. You won't be sorry if you read this one.
Robert Lewter
This was another intriguing story about the spiritual life of the godless heathen. There was lots of mysticism,treachery,concussion induced schizophrenia,rape,murder,and animal cruelty all wrapped up in an environmentally friendly package. A real page turner.
Kimberly
Being one book in a series, this book is as fun to read as the rest. If you ever wanted to go back in time and see how this nation was formed and how the people really lived, reading these books is the ticket. Great read.
Sandra
Great book. Halfway through, If you are interested in archaeology this book is great,covers life, death,loves, and spiritual values of prehistoric people. I love all the the Gears books, great reading.
Silver
I am enjoying this seris so far. And I think this book might be the best of them yet that I have read. Eeach book does offer something interesting, but I am really enjoying this book.
Trudy
Set 500 years ago in Montata, Wyomind Colorado area, the Uto-Aztecan people migrate south and a young woman must "Dream" a new life for her people. I love the Gear's series!
Sandy Curry
I haven't read this genre for awhile so I really enjoyed it. At first I was confused about who belongs to what tribe since it's not names we are used to but it was a good change.
Sheryl Razore
I had the whole series and read a book a day. It wasn't my favorite series but something to read. It basically retold the same story with different settings.
Poobah1
Jan 12, 2012 Poobah1 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Susan
I didn't like this as much as I'd hope. Too slow at times and didn't expect the "magic" like in the "Wizards First Rule" series.
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • The Sacred Stones (The First Americans, #5)
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • My Sister the Moon
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...
People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2) People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1) People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4) People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5) People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)