Start by marking “People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3)” as Want to Read:
People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3)

People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past #3)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  3,604 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
White Ash is a woman torn between two peoples and two dreams, living in a dangerous land where death may come at any time.
Published January 1st 1992 by Turtleback Books

Melissa
Jan 09, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The First North Americans series is a prehistoric fiction series written by the husband/wife team of Michael & Kathleen Gear. People of the Earth is the third book in that series, and actually the best one I've read out of the first three.

White Ash was kidnapped as a child from the Earth people by a man of the Sun people. Which was actually ok with her. Her adoptive parents were much nicer than her original family. But hostile tribes are attacking the Sun people now and they are being forced
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk

Once again we are taken back through time, to another era of climate change and the movement of whole peoples across the land. The life and death struggle to survive is always the focal point of the "First Americans" series. Once again Power forges a leader to lead the people along the path to new lands and a new life. If there is a degree of predictability in the "First Americans" series then it is easy to forgive. We are drawn into the struggle of a people who are tied to the land but are also
Julie
Oct 25, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel, based on the archeology of authors W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear as well as others, explores the mythology and relationships between native peoples living 5000 years ago in what is now Montana and Wyoming. I was thoroughly engrossed. Character driven novels enthrall me.
Carol Storm
An unforgettable gallery of characters makes this ancient saga of North American Indians come alive.

The year is 5000 B.C. Somewhere in the West, ancient Indian tribes are battline for supremacy, lead by competing "Soul Fliers" or shamans, each with a radically different vision for the ages yet to come in North America.

BRAVE MAN -- the power-mad psychopath, whose twisted Vision leads him to kill and rape while dreaming uncanny prophecies of the untold might of the Aztec Empire!

WHITE ASH -- the
Elfdart
Jul 13, 2010 Elfdart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i’ve read a few books in this series and i’d have to say that this one’s my favourites. I liked the perspectives from which the authors presented their characters. it was a kind of pensive, but not seriously so… meaning that there are little tidbits to think over every now and again but these tidbits are by no means the focus of the book, more a backdrop to the story, and they don’t really inspire any intense thought, just more of a lazy sunday afternoon pondering kind of thought. if that makes ...more
J.M. Northup
Feb 21, 2014 J.M. Northup rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Richer Look Into Our Past!
One of the things that I love about this book series is that it is both educational and highly entertaining. It has a depth that allows the authors to bring history to life, allowing modern man to relate to their ancestors from long ago.
The complex characters represent all aspects of the human psyche. They show the good, the bad, and the ugly. Still, my favorite thing about them is that it doesn't matter if they are male or female, visually handsome or somehow broken;
Beth
Oct 06, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sixth book by W. Michael and Kathleen O'Neal Gear that I've read and the third in the First American's Series. This book did not disappoint me. The Gears story of the early American Indian includes their culture, religious beliefs, food, cooking, and daily life interwoven with a cast of characters and adventure. Each book in the series could stand alone but the underlying theme of respect and reverence for nature threads through out the series. These books show the American Indian as ...more
Kimberly Beatty
Jan 26, 2010 Kimberly Beatty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not been able to put this series down since I first found it a few months ago. It is written by a husband and wife who are both Archaeologists. They have written a series of books called The First North Americans, as well as each writing their own individual books. Though the stories are mainly fictional, they are supplemented by real archaeological and historical findings and facts. Very intense at moments and really sad at others, overall, an excellent read.
Bryan Richard
A really great book and I enjoyed it completely. It is the 3rd. book in a series. I really enjoy this type of subject matter. It was written by a husband and wife team. (They were both arachaeologists).
Adam Sprague
By far the worst book I've read by these authors. 500 pages of repetition ending with a 10 page climax. This book would have been better at 200 pages. Very disappointing since a few of the characters were pretty interesting.
Theresa
Jan 27, 2013 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story about how the plains people spread out. I love the battle of power at the end.
Darby
It was long ago when I read this book but I remember enjoying it. It had war, history, love and suffering. It is good historical fiction series.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past #3)
by W. Michael Gear, Kathleen O'Neal Gear
The story begins with a description of common practice in modern times of project managers wanting to hurry their projects as the consequence of history.

White ash is a dreamer, who is taken by power from her people to allow her to grow up with love and understanding. In an attempt to change the future he strives to change the path of man from harmony to discord. White ash must face her greatest fears,
Jessica
This is the second book of this series that I have read and I enjoyed this one just as much as the first. The Gears have a knack for creating a complex, interwoven tale with many characters that, despite the length of the novel, keeps you interested and invested till the end. Just when you think they've forgotten a story thread they tie it back into the story, which is the sign of careful and skilled authorship. The story was a bit repetitious as times and a bit too long, which could could grate ...more
Lacey
May 13, 2015 Lacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like some of the characters.stories parallel with other characters in the book, so it feels a little repetitive. Also when relationships are being made it just all of a sudden happens without any real insight to the reader on what the characters have going on in their minds(the love triangle for example), but I do understand that it would have made the book longer with explaining better because there are so many characters and things going on in the book. Perhaps if there was a little les ...more
Fredrick Danysh
Ancient natives in what is now North America are facing troubling times. Clans are splitting into separate tribes and killing off each other for limited resources constantly moving south. White Ash is stolen as a girl by the White Clay people. In another clan Still Water becomes a cripple. After White Ash is almost raped by a friend she is captured by another man as her people are destroyed. But spiritual power comes to her and Still Water as they are destined to battle a eevil spirit dreamer fr ...more
Britt Lauren
I read this entire series back in my teens and early twenties. I loved it back then. Perhaps I was more easily dazzled then, or maybe there's a reason I just did not like this book. I found it painfully slow and the plot was so similar to the first book that I actually rolled my eyes at times. I also did not find the characters interesting enough to hold my attention. I will continue my quest to reread the entire series, but perhaps I will read other books between these.
Good Reads Missoula, MT
Farhana Faruq
This is the sixteenth book I've read by the Gears! This one is number 3 in the First North American series..I clearly don't read them in order, nor do I feel you have to.

Loved this story line, it's another of my favorite so far. This one weaves two unlikely dreamers, spirit battles, a changing world and love all in one.....and some bad guys!! (can't go wrong)

Always look forward to reading more by them.
Joanie
Dec 28, 2007 Joanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't pay attention to the comic book cover on the paperback--this is a well-written novel about the tribes who first settled the Americas. It's fiction, obviously, but is based on what we know of these tribes from archaelogical finds. Great adventure, suspense and spirituality all mixed together.
Carolina Montague
I liked this even more than the first book, People of the Wolf. I've read it a number of times :-)

What I loved was the depth of engagement in Power, which is pretty much awakening and god-realization, but in this book, firmly grounded in Native American spirituality of this time period. I always learn something more with each of the Gear books.

Neil Hanson
Dec 27, 2014 Neil Hanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These folks are great storytellers, and I love the work. The only reason I use 4 instead of 5 stars is that it is just so long. I think the story could have been told as well in a shorter book. Just my opinion. But I really LOVE the storytelling and the story. I keep buying their work and reading it, but the length becomes a problem at some point.
Matt D
An excellent book in the Native American series by the Gears. It gets off to a bit of a slow start, establishing multiple main characters in several different clans. But once they have everything established, the book builds momentum until the conclusion. They do a wonderful job of weaving each individual story together by the end of the book. One of the better ones in the series.
Kimberly
May 25, 2011 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being one book in a series, this book is as fun to read as the rest. If you ever wanted to go back in time and see how this nation was formed and how the people really lived, reading these books is the ticket. Great read.
Matthew
Feb 18, 2009 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While this book is fiction, the events it contains are lessons that could be extrapolated to the modern world. This is an adventure of monumental proportions that stretched the eastern part of the modern United States. You won't be sorry if you read this one.
Data
It takes some effort to keep track of all the relationships between tribes and characters in this story, but well worth it. As always there is a great deal to be learned in this book as well. One of my favorites from the Gears.
Robert Lewter
Jan 02, 2013 Robert Lewter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was another intriguing story about the spiritual life of the godless heathen. There was lots of mysticism,treachery,concussion induced schizophrenia,rape,murder,and animal cruelty all wrapped up in an environmentally friendly package. A real page turner.
Sandra
Great book. Halfway through, If you are interested in archaeology this book is great,covers life, death,loves, and spiritual values of prehistoric people. I love all the the Gears books, great reading.
Suanne
Apr 09, 2012 Suanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
This is the third of a seemingly endless series. I enjoyed #1, #2 was less appealing, by the time I finished the third, I felt I'd read #1 and #2 all over again, very repetitive recycling of the same basic story. Didn't finish the series, which is very rare for me.
  • The Summoning God (The Anasazi Mysteries, #2)
  • The Sacred Stones (The First Americans, #5)
  • Voice of the Eagle (Kwani, #2)
  • My Sister the Moon
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
W. Michael Gear was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado, on the twentieth of May, 1955. A fourth generation Colorado native, his family had been involved in hard-rock mining, cattle ranching, and journalism. After his father's death in 1959, Michael's mother received her Master's degree in journalism and began teaching. In 1962 she married Joseph J. Cook, who taught tool and die making, and the fam ...more
More about W. Michael Gear...

North America's Forgotten Past (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1)
  • People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2)
  • People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4)
  • People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)
  • People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)
  • People of the Lightning (North America's Forgotten Past, #7)
  • People of the Silence (North America's Forgotten Past, #8)
  • People of the Mist (North America's Forgotten Past, #9)
  • People of the Masks (North America's Forgotten Past, #10)
  • People of the Owl (North America's Forgotten Past, #11)