Start by marking “It Takes a Genome: How a Clash Between Our Genes and Modern Life Is Making Us Sick” as Want to Read:

3.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Human beings have astonishing genetic vulnerabilities. More than half of us will die from complex diseases that trace directly to those vulnerabilities, and the modern world we ve created places us at unprecedented risk from them." In It Takes a Genome," Greg Gibson posits a revolutionary new hypothesis: Our genome is out of equilibrium, both with itself and its environmen ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by FT Press (first published December 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Genome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes a Genome

K
Oct 03, 2010 K rated it liked it
This book started off pretty deep and got shallow quick. I felt like at first I got a pretty good overview of how genes and our environment work together to cause many of the diseases plaguing us today. The first two chapters on breast cancer and diabetes seems particularly intriguing. But it quickly lost steam.

I do not have a background in biology and certainly not genetics so I am dependent entirely on the author's explanations. I do, however, have a background in psychology and his chapter on
David
Apr 01, 2014 David rated it liked it
Shelves: medicine, science
Not bad for a quick survey of the interplay between genetic research and our modern lifestyle. In agreement with another reviewer, he does make some logical leaps and unsatisfactory analogies, as well as having a tendency to lose the reader's interest in several places. Overall, it was broken down into some background and a handful of disease states - the book certainly has room to grow (for future editions). In any case, I wanted to see more of the impact of genetics on medicine than what I too ...more
Jesper Nielsen
Jul 31, 2012 Jesper Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Great review of the newest human genome research.
Told in a way so anybody with the least amount of science literacy can understand it.

This research has great implications for public health policy when it comes to treatment.
The research shows that the major human disorders: heart disease, diabetes, auto immune disorders and cancer are caused by many genes that only influences the disorder a few percent.
There are thus no hope for magic bullet that will solve these public health problems.

Only preve
Bren
Feb 09, 2015 Bren rated it it was ok
Good information, although a bit technical. I wasn't able to understand everything they were saying, but the basic info is quite interesting. We just don't realize what technology can do and the effects it has on us and future generations.
Dana
Sep 25, 2012 Dana rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012
I was so bored! I only made it about 20% through before giving up, maybe the rest of the book would have gotten better, but I have lots of other things I'd rather read than attempting to get any farther in this one. It's not because I didn't understand the subject matter. I took quite a few genetics classes while getting my biology degree, and this book made a topic that used to interest me so dry. Oh well, at least I didn't pay for it.
Nancy
Nice overview of genetic status of several diaeases. Takeaway message--most genetic variation is caused by multiple genes affwcted by multiple environmental factors.
Will
Dec 02, 2010 Will rated it liked it
It's a fun read, but doesn't tell you anything that you won't already know if you've read Genome.
David Ediger
David Ediger rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Jan
Jan rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Eril
Eril marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Tyler Hill
Tyler Hill marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Chris Brooks
Chris Brooks marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Bufo Calvin
Bufo Calvin marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Kajola
Kajola marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Rk Wild
Rk Wild marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Nicholas Ballarini
Nicholas Ballarini marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Grafton
Grafton marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Sefa
Sefa marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Oct 02, 2015
Vina Discar
Vina Discar marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015