Start by marking “Sweetwater Run (Copper Brown, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sweetwater Run (Copper Brown, #1)

Sweetwater Run (Copper Brown #1)

In 1891 in the mountains of eastern Kentucky, two young women stand at a crossroads. Both are protegees of the same mentor, Copper Brown, yet they couldn’t be more different. Darcy Whitt falls in love with the town’s handsome yet unscrupulous attorney who plots to take not only Darcy’s land but that of her sister as well. Meanwhile, her beautiful sister-in-law, Cara Whitt, ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published July 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sweetwater Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweetwater Run

Janna
Aug 30, 2009 Janna rated it really liked it
I had not read Jan Watson before picking up Sweetwater Run, but upon completion I certainly hope to read more of Jan Watson in the future. Sweetwater Run looks to be book #4 in the series, but I would not say that you have to read the other 3 to enjoy this one, I enjoyed it immensely and it was a first for me.

Sweetwater Run was refreshing and perplexing to me all at the same time. It is not your typical Historical Romance to say the least. First off, Cara and Dimmert are already married when thi
Kelly
Aug 05, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
I have just so much praise for Jan Watson, and I am thinking "Where have I been?" I had no idea that Sweetwater Run was a part of a series. This is awesome for two reasons. First, the book totally stands firmly on its own. There is enough background given in the novel so that the reader does not feel as if they are walking in the middle of a conversation. Secondly, I now have the joy of having a new series to pick up!

This is a Christian novel, but it is a story in which the Christian theme enhan
Amber
Jan 10, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
I grabbed this book off the shelf based on the cover (yes, i judged a book by its cover) because i'm interested in old west/pioneer/little house-type stuff. I got it home and saw the dove sticker the library put on the spine. Inspirational. Damn. I think i actually said that out loud, making my Christian husband roll his eyes. But, lacking anything better to read, i decided to give it a try. And i loved it!

I'll tell you what i liked the most: My main interest, when it comes to historical fiction
Homewood Public Library
Feb 13, 2012 Homewood Public Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The people who lived in Eastern Kentucky in 1893 had a hard life and family and friends were everything to them. When Dimmert Whitt was convicted of stealing his own mule his wife was devastated. How could she exist without him for two years while he was in the prison? Cara had family that included Fairy Mae, Darcy, Ace and Dance and the little ones. While Dim was serving his sentence many unexpected things happened to him and to the folks who loved him most. Darcy's gift of sewing helped ...more
Christy
Oct 18, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This book reminds me of sitting on the front porch with my MawMaw draped in her goodness and wit. Drinking a tall glass of ice tea watching the change of seasons. They are not always perfect but there is still beauty to be found. My first but certainly not my last Jan Watson read.
Carolyn Purcell
Sep 26, 2016 Carolyn Purcell rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the characters and the story which was engaging.
Cricket Muse
Dec 25, 2013 Cricket Muse rated it really liked it
Jan Watson, presents a likable heroine through Cara Whitt in Sweetwater Run. The book draws upon the Troublesome Creek characters and setting being set in the Kentucky mountains of 1893. Newlywed Cara Whitt’s life is dramatically changed when her husband is taken to jail over a minor neighborly dispute. When Dimmert gets an unexpected two year prison sentence, Cara struggles with the hardships of being alone. Relying on her family at first, Cara slowly discovers she has strengths she didn’t know ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Aug 02, 2009 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it
When her husband is wrongfully arrested for stealing his own mule, Cara Whitt finds herself alone in their small cabin on a mountain in eastern Kentucky. With her husband's family close by, Cara finds that she must rely on her own strength to survive. When her brother-in-law is gravely injured, leaving his wife and 5 children to cope and her young sister-in-law runs off with an unscrupulous lawyer, Cara turns to her friends and finds her faith in God restored.

While this book continues some of th
Robyn
Nov 15, 2012 Robyn rated it really liked it
Liked it. My mother-in-law gave it to me to read and I was impressed. It was an easy, leisurely read. Something that I could pick up and enjoy after reading my usual survival/homesteading fare. It had a lot of soul searching and spiritual thought involved in the storyline. It was presented in a way that doesn't make you feel like you are being preached too, but instead, like the main character is on a evolving journey to explore her faith and you have a window to watch her through. I got caught ...more
Lana Jackson
Sep 13, 2013 Lana Jackson rated it really liked it
1893 Eastern Kentucky mountains. Cara Wilson Whitt and Darcy Whitt share the protagonist spot in this story, which is, virtully, a continuation of the Troublesome Creek series.

Cara's husband, Dimmert is unjustly sentenced to prison. Darcy, Dimmert's sister, falls in love with an unscrupulous character. A suprise turn of events about two-thirds through the story ramps up the tension.

Hannah
I've read the previous books in the Troublesome Creek series and loved them, but Sweetwater Run wasn't quite up to the greatness of them. It continues the story of Cara and Dimmert, Darcy, Dance and Ace, and new characters enter also. Mrs. Watson is a wonderful author, but this book seemed to drag in some parts, and didn't totally catch me and pull me in as the others have. Overall, it is a good book!
May 19, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: watson-jan
Shantelle
So happy that Jan Watson has more books out! And with familiar and well-loved characters! ^_^ Sweetwater Run is a lovely new series from this incredible historical author, connecting right nicely with the TROUBLESOME CREEK series and continuing these exciting, real, and heart-warming stories.
Farah Bajarias
Apr 24, 2013 Farah Bajarias rated it it was amazing
This book is really amazing..every page excites me..i just love their stories..esp Darcy, and of'course Cara,..she's quite good and ever loving..i felt sorry for their troublesome lives but it all turned them into extraordinary persons.. challenges gave them courage and taught them..forgiveness, love and faith..
Beverly
May 02, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith

Through the troubles penned in this story we find if we lean on Jesus Christ we are victorious. The Word tells us that He fights our battles for us so we need to only Stand Still and see the Glory of God.
Alex
Aug 19, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing
Quite a charming book set in the 19th Century. Left alone while her husband is sent to prison for stealing back his own donkey, Cara must find determination and faith in herself to survive until he returns. Beautiful characters, historical settings - I recommend! :)
Janie  R. Freeman

Though I liked this book, I was a little disappointed that it was about some of the characters that were in the background of the first 3 books, and that's okay, it just wasn't as interesting because it had very little of the main characters from books 1-3. Oh, well, still a good story!
Margaret Boehm
Jan 29, 2015 Margaret Boehm rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novel. It was mystery, romance and a good novel on a family that conquered life.
Kelly
Feb 17, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
I liked the main character, but I felt that the drama was unnecessary and unbelievable. I'll probably read the first book in this series, just to revisit some of these good characters.
Betty
Dec 16, 2010 Betty rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Set in the eastern Kentucky mountains in 1893, this book has strong characters, loss,love,family,surprise,struggles,humor,and a good story.
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Judi Dalton
Judi Dalton rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2011
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Donna Roberts
Donna Roberts rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2009
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Mary Uden
Mary Uden rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Little Bit of Charm (New Beginnings, #3)
  • Raider's Heart (Backwoods Brides #1)
  • Springtime of the Spirit (The Great War, #3)
  • Double Trouble (PJ Sugar, #2)
  • English Ivy (English Ivy #1)
  • Willow Springs
  • Sweeter Than Birdsong (Saddler's Legacy, #2)
  • Love's Unending Legacy & Love's Unfolding Dream (Love Comes Softly #5-6) (Janette Oke Keepsake Series #3)
  • Night Song: A Story of Sacrifice (World War II Liberator #2)
  • Christmas Treasures (Cape Light #12)
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Rose's Pledge (Harwood House, #1)
  • Cottonwood Whispers
  • Shadows on the Sand (Seaside Mysteries)
  • The Last Temple
  • Too Far to Say Far Enough (The Reluctant Prophet #3)

Jan Watson won the 2004 Christian Writers Guild Operation First Novel contest for her first novel, Troublesome Creek. Her other awards include a nomination for the Kentucky Literary Award in 2006 and second place in the 2006 Inspirational Readers Choice Contest sponsored by the Faith, Hope, and Love Chapter of
More about Jan Watson...

Copper Brown (3 books)
  • Still House Pond (Copper Brown, #2)
  • Skip Rock Shallows (Copper Brown, #3)