Start by marking “Live Fire (Dan Shepherd, #6)” as Want to Read:
Live Fire (Dan Shepherd, #6)

Live Fire (Dan Shepherd #6)

Mickey and Mark Moore are ordinary decent criminals—hard men who live by their own code and leaders of a gang that has made millions at the point of a gun. But when Dan "Spider" Shepherd is sent to infiltrate the tightly-knit team of bank robbers, he discovers that he has more in common with them than he first thought—and that perhaps being a career criminal isn't the ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Live Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live Fire

Gavin Rogers
Apr 07, 2010 Gavin Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently my favourite author. I love the Dan 'Spider' Shepherd books...always packed full of action and adrenaline. Old friends and foes regualrly appear in the series...I enjoy it when the author sucks you into the life of the criminals which at times leaves me actually wanting them to succeed. I see Mr Leather has started a new series...I hope he doesn't leave it too long before delivering another Dan Shepherd adventure!
Chris
Dec 20, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spider-shepherd
Sent to infiltrate a gang of armed robbers in Thailand that target the UK, Spider discovers that there is a far worse group of men living in London that plan to do more than just steal money.

The job appears to ask more of Spider than normal, the Moore's are only robbing banks,, but the people that surround them in Thailand are far worse, making Shepherd doubt whether what he's doing is really worth while, in the end it may just compromise the entire case.
Ray
Apr 05, 2012 Ray rated it it was amazing
Just like most things in life, the more you do it the better you become at it. This is the case with Stephen Leather and his writings in the Dan "Spider" Shepherd series. Simply could not put this book down. I even took the bus to work so I could keep reading it :-) I am looking forward to books 7, 8 and hopefully more!
Ian T
Oct 21, 2011 Ian T rated it liked it
Good Book. Simple Plot involving high flying bank robbers and middle eastern terrorists. Quite current really but a bit to close to home for comfort, this book could give the wrong people the wrong ideas. But Dan Shepherd is a great character who we can all relate to.
Sean Randall
Jun 25, 2016 Sean Randall rated it really liked it
More lawbreaking, and an appreciation of criminals? What is going on? And sharp was rather irritating on this
Paul
Jan 13, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing
Spider is getting better and better, would be ain intersting contest between Spider,Reacher and Mitch Rapp!
Jacob Stelling
Oct 25, 2016 Jacob Stelling rated it really liked it
A great page-turner for any and all ages! A riveting story line riddled with plot twists at every turn, this novel will make you want to keep reading even after you've finished!
Suresh Vijendran
Very good thriller!!
Didn't expect the turnaround in the final pages.
James
Aug 25, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
As per usual with Stephen Leather, regardless of which book/series/genre/character it is, this book was quality. From the very beginning I was captivated and certifiably flew through it in a day. A fun, easy Four Stars

Plot: Four Stars

In this we see Dan get involved with some top notch robbers living it large in singapore (I think, I did read this a while ago). They pop back to the UK (they are ex-pats) whenever they need cash, and rob a bank by following a plan laid out for them by 'the profgess
Monnie
Oct 30, 2012 Monnie rated it really liked it
The sixth in Stephen Leather's series featuring undercover agent Dan "Spider" Shepherd follows much the same pattern as the others: Two concurrent "plots" that are followed throughout, converging as they near the end. And as always, Shepherd struggles with his concept of right and wrong - where, exactly, is the line that shouldn't be crossed (if it exists at all) and what does it mean for his future?

In the beginning of this one, Shepherd ventures into Thailand to infiltrate, and bring down, a gr
Dan
Dec 16, 2013 Dan rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Being set in Thailand makes a pleasant difference, and the life of a criminal is not so bad after all...maybe! If I'm not mistaken, Stephen lives in Thailand and although his reference points in the UK are always accurate, you can tell that there are some hands-on facts flowing in the descriptions of the local sights in Thailand.

In this 'episode' you can get the drift that Spider is second-guessing the morals of his job, and his targets as undercover agent in SOCA. I
Pat
Aug 21, 2016 Pat rated it liked it
After what I thought was as slowish start the book got going, but it never quite seemed to achieve the adrenalin rush of some other thrillers. Spider Shepherd is sent to Thailand to infiltrate a gang of English crooks who return to the motherland at intervals to carry out yet another big heist. At this stage I'm feeling sorry for Spider's poor abandoned son, Liam.

Meanwhile a British terrorist cell is plotting to blow up a plane. Its not clear how this will tie in with Spider. Sure enough, the me
Kieran Delaney
Jan 05, 2012 Kieran Delaney rated it it was amazing
Live Fire is an odd book - it's a gangster thriller, about ordinary decent criminals, sure. But it doesn't cast them as superstars, there's no backhanded glorification, instead there is a subtle exploration of the boundaries of morals and ethics, within crime and outside in the 'civilian' world. More important to the narrative is the central character Dan Shepherd who has to enter this world and cope with actually quite liking the people he is trying to catch.

Woven into this is a concurrent sto

Matt Carrell
Jun 13, 2013 Matt Carrell rated it really liked it
This book is going to cost me a fortune - now I have to go and get all the others in the series too. Stephen Leather is such a prolific writer but I always marvel at how much detailed research is evident in the books he writes.
I will confess to knowing more about the city of Pattaya than I would tell my mother (acquired for research purposes only of course) - and he nails the geography, the atmosphere and the dynamics of the people who frequent the place. His characterisation is spot on and his
Gary
Jan 23, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it
The 6th book in the Dan Shepherd series by Stephen Leather.
I am starting to sound like a broken record, this book is another great read and this series marches on with relentless thrills and spills. Dan Shepherd works undercover for the Serious Organized Crime Agency and is never far from danger and action. This series is far more than the action packed adventures of his assignments, its full of sub plots and great interchanges between the very strong growing characters. Well I'm going straight
Ramachandran
Apr 13, 2013 Ramachandran rated it it was amazing
This is my second book of Stephen Leather. I read Fair Game (Dan Shepherd's 8th) before this and was very entertained by the story and by the settings. In this book, Stephen Leather proves that he can really develop his stories very well. He got marvellous crime ideas which he passes to his villains and at the same time, tips on to Dan Shepherd on how to overpower the villains smartly. The read felt too pacy and I hardly put this book down. I am officially a fan of Stephen Leather =)
Richard Mulholland
Nov 12, 2011 Richard Mulholland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Loved this - couldn't put it down. Sometimes I wish for more standalone books like Birthday Girl, but then you read this and you just want more Spider.

Stephen - you need to consider writing a short colab with Vince Flynn - Mitch Rapp and Dan Shepherd would be epic together.
David Highton
better than some of the earlier Shepherd books which play too much on Army action rather than undercover police
Tharina
Oct 08, 2013 Tharina rated it really liked it
Stephen Leather never dissapoints. And some moral issues, serious crime vs less serious crime or is crime just crime..
Andreas Michaelides
Very good story, non stop action and non stop thinking of what is going to be next, has a movie like flow, I think this book would be a great action movie. I really enjoyed.
Theresa
Sep 10, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Not my usual type of book but really enjoyed the read. Very well written and kept my attention ie no page skipping. Some interesting moral dilemmas. I will be reading more form this author.
Paul Ferguson
Paul Ferguson rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Janice
Janice rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Ben Dawkins
Ben Dawkins rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Daniel Cobden
Daniel Cobden rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Waylander
Waylander rated it did not like it
Oct 31, 2011
Debra King
Debra King rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2014
Robert's Kindle
Robert's Kindle rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • The Regiment: The Real Story of the SAS
  • The Kill Zone
  • Death Force (Death Force, #1)
  • Judgement and Wrath (Joe Hunter, #2)
  • Barefoot Soldier
  • Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)
  • Task Force Black
  • Hellfire
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The ...more
More about Stephen Leather...

Dan Shepherd (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)
  • Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)
  • Cold Kill (Dan Shepherd, #3)
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • Rough Justice (Dan Shepherd, #7)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • False Friends (Dan Shepherd, #9)
  • True Colours (Dan Shepherd, #10)
  • White Lies (Dan Shepherd, #11)