Start by marking “Year of the Cat” as Want to Read:
Year of the Cat

Year of the Cat

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Sweet-natured Etienne LeFevre must give up his birthright and flee into the snow-covered forest to save himself from the murderous greed of his brutish elder brothers. When Etienne ends up alone and hungry, with a ramshackle cottage his only shelter and a feral cat his only friend, he believes himself doomed to a sad, cold death.

But out of the shadows of the night arrives
Published January 25th 2009 by Amber Quill Press/Amber Allure

To ask other readers questions about Year of the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year of the Cat

Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneDuck! by Kim DareCinder by Marie SextonThe Pedlar and the Bandit King by Kirby CrowThe Student Prince by FayJay
Best Gay books based on fairytales
35th out of 141 books — 321 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
464th out of 868 books — 1,168 voters

More lists with this book...

Jenre
Aug 13, 2009 Jenre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
On one hand this sly retelling of the fairy tale "Puss in Boots" has its tongue firmly in its cheek with the incorporation of many traditional fairy tale tropes. We have the description of the hero at the beginning, the asides addressed directly to the "gentle reader" and the setting of Perrault's France. On the other hand, this is a dark tale of a man who is taught the true meaning of love in a most unexpected way.

The book begins with a description of three men, one of whom is Etienne, the youn
Elisa Rolle
There is a bit of Cinderfella, a bit of The Beauty and the Beast, and yes, also a bit of the Puss in Boots, all mixed together in a resulting tale that is a winning formula. Often I read historical fantasy tale, but most of the time they have not originality, they are only a way to tell a story of man love in frilly garments without the burden to do an historical accurate research. in Year of the Cat, Selah March is not trying to masquerade an historical tale with the fantasy freedom, she wants ...more
Kassa
Aug 15, 2009 Kassa rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read of Selah March’s and I have to say I’m suitably impressed. In this dark twist on the classic fairy tale, March has written a clever and multifaceted story that is much more than meets than eye, as are the characters. With obvious stereotypes and a writing style befitting any fairy tale, the clever BDSM twist with dark and cruel subtext has created an entirely new take even as the plot parallels the original. In true fairy tale form, no doubt the impressions of th ...more
The UHQ Nasanta

I really liked this version of "Puss in Boots" meets "Beauty and the Beast", m/m-style. But I lack the words to articulate as elegantly as I wish what excited my enthusiasm so I'm afraid that my review will have to settle for simpler and more awkward words.

The style of writing was reminiscent of many fairy tales as were the characters - for the most part. It delighted me, and encouraged me to read this as a fairy tale for adults which meant no expectations of deep plots and multidimens
Wendy Ann
I’ve never read the fairytale that this book is based on, so I don’t have a basis on which to compare it. It was a little rough to read in spots because frankly, Jacques seemed like nothing more than a big bad bully and I felt sorry for Etienne. It took most of the book before I really felt any stirrings of a connection between the characters, and while Etienne wasn’t technically captured by Jacques, it felt almost more like a case of Stockholm syndrome than romantic attraction. This book was de ...more
 ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
This was my first Selah March book. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I loved the story book feel this book had. This book would be great on audio. This book is like no other I have read. The world created by March is easy to fall into. She paints a scene so well, you can see yourself standing on the sidelines watching everything unfold.
Ayanna
Jun 09, 2013 Ayanna rated it really liked it
TSTL (but not really) and large doses of what-the-fuck-ery.

However, the sex was really, really hot (or at least, I remember vaguely thinking so).
Emmie
Mar 19, 2012 Emmie rated it really liked it
I dug it. 4.5
mlady_rebecca
Unique writing style. In fanfic terms, I'd call it crack. Or perhaps "fractured fairy tales", although I'm not sure if that's a generally accepted term or not. But I have a friend who wrote a fractured fairy tale version of "The Emperor's New Clothes", and it has that feel.

It also reminds me a bit of what Anne Rice did with "Sleeping Beauty". Fairy tales for grownups, heavy on the eroticism. As opposed to the adult versions of fairy tales before they were sanitized by Disney. I think they tended
Jess Candela
I liked the author's writing style but had difficulty with the characters. I really couldn't see much appeal to either of them. Well, maybe that's not entirely true, I guess I could sort of see some appeal to Jacques. And I could see that Etienne's submission was appealing to him, but he seemed to find Etienne's simpleness almost as obnoxious as I did. So then I couldn't really understand why he'd be with Etienne, which made Jacques less appealing to me, too. There was some character growth and ...more
Jay Meo
Dec 25, 2010 Jay Meo rated it really liked it
A good story. I picked it up because this is a tale I always wanted to retell. Admittedly, I would have retold it in quite a different way, and I am not really into dominance games - but it was well-told, with an oldish, fairytale tone, and the pace was perfect, not too fast not too slow. The Cat was wonderful as a character, dark and violent. The master, to me, was too soft and childish - but I am aware that these are personal preferences. In all, I highly recommend this tale - go read it!
Leann Marshall
Feb 03, 2012 Leann Marshall rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, fairy-tales
This a classic fairy tale style MM version of Puss in Boots. The characters were interesting but not fully developed. What sold me on this book was nostalgia for the classic fairy tale style. I loved to read classic fairy tales growing up. Nice memories!
Indigo
Apr 25, 2011 Indigo rated it it was ok
Shelves: bdsm, historique
Inspiré du chat botté, un conte pour enfants, revisité d'une façon qui m'a fait grincé des dents. Si je n'ai pas (complètement) detesté, c'est que l'auteur a un style d'écriture très agréable, ce qui lui vaut la 2e étoile.
Karen K
Giving this a 3.5 upped to a 4. Loved the dark fairy-tale feel and tempo of this - very unique and descriptive writing with almost a "cracky" touch at times. Really good read.
Jessica
Feb 06, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
The ambiance is odd ,different. I think the fairy tale mind's is well keep within ogre
I like the caracter evolution's , i would want to have more info about Jacques'past
CB
Oct 13, 2014 CB rated it it was amazing
A sexy paranormal story about love and redemption. I reread it when I was in the mood for some fantasy and a very sweet, innocent MC.
Deanna
May 07, 2010 Deanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, ebook, my-happy-place
For my review, I'm going to say go read Jenre's review. I agree 100% :D
Christina
Apr 01, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-books-read
My Rating: 4.5 of 5

A more in-depth review is in the works...
M'rella
more like 3.5, still wavering on giving it 3 or 4 stars
Elske
Jun 14, 2013 Elske rated it liked it
Gina Marie
Gina Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Sephony
Sephony marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Roni-jean
Roni-jean marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Selenay
Selenay marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Roseblack
Roseblack marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Sumire-chan
Sumire-chan rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Alex Reid
Alex Reid rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2015
  • Wings (Wings, #1)
  • Puppy Love 2: Building a Family (Puppy Love #2)
  • Marry Me Or Die
  • The Initiation of Pb500 (Pb500, #1)
  • Remastering Jerna (Remastering Jerna, #1)
  • Hammer & Air
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • Blood Slave
  • Kitten (Kitten, #1)
  • Word on a Wing
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • A Hidden Magic (Sentinels #1)
  • Fog
  • Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)
  • Anchored (Belonging, #1)
  • Looking for Some Touch (Utopia X, #1)
  • Shadow Hunt
Selah March is the author of several books in multiple romance sub-genres, including erotic romance, futuristic romance, romantic suspense, paranormal romance, fantasy romance, GLBT romance and Regency romance.
More about Selah March...