Start by marking “Demelza: A Novel of Cornwall, 1788–1790 (Poldark, #2)” as Want to Read:
Demelza: A Novel of Cornwall, 1788–1790 (Poldark, #2)

Demelza: A Novel of Cornwall, 1788–1790 (The Poldark Saga #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  2,267 ratings  ·  198 reviews
Demelza Carne, the impoverished miner's daughter Ross Poldark rescued from a fairground rabble, is now his wife. But the events of these turbulent years test their marriage and their love.

Demelza's efforts to adapt to the ways of the gentry - and her husband - bring her confusion and heartache, despite the joy in the birth of their first child. Ross begins a bitter struggl
Published June 6th 2008 by Pan Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Demelza, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demelza

The BBC's new version of Poldark ended this weekend with heartbreak and a literal cliff-hanger. Over the past eight episodes (which covered the first two books) I fell head over heels in love with Ross and Demelza, played by the ridiculously handsome Aidan Turner and the beautiful Eleanor Tomlinson. They had so much chemistry, conveying so much emotion, passion and confliction, and they turned me into a swooning pile of mush!

After it finished, I wanted to immediately read the third book in the
Vikki Patis
I chose to read Demelza, the second in the Poldark series by Winston Graham, for the Cornish Reading Challenge.

If you haven't heard about Poldark yet, where the hell have you been? The brand new series, starring Aiden Turner as Ross Poldark, is currently showing on BBC One (Sundays at 9pm). The show covers the first two books in the series.

I fell in love with the world of Poldark as soon as I picked up the first book, Ross Poldark. Due to my love for Cornwall, I knew I would adore everything abo
After reading the first book in the Poldark Saga, I was eager for more of the gritty, atmospheric world set along the Cornish coast in the late eighteen hundreds. The writing, tone, characters, dialogue and setting were of the finest I have read. I was not disappointed when I continued with the story in this second book of the series which really needs to be read in order.

As the title states clearly, this is Demelza's book. She was a waif and an emerging woman in the first book, but this book sh
Poldark series; Ross, Demelza, Jeremy and Warleggan by Winston Graham

Addictive! This is the word to describe what happens when you start reading the first book in this
series. Winston Graham has written historical fiction at its best. Cornwall in the end of the 18th century, where people are mainly depending on the tin and copper mines.

The story starts when Ross, a young man from the higher classes, but without money, comes back after having fought in the American wars. Being rather disillusioned
Rebecca Huston
This one picks right up where Ross Poldark leaves off. All sorts of romantic entanglements, a christening party goes hysterically wrong, a new arrival throws a couple into a tragedy, and be sure to keep the hankies handy. Very well written, full of twists and surprises, and what I really like in historical fiction, characters that you like in spite of themselves. Four stars overall, and very much recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Un gran libro. Ha sido una lectura muy intensa, complicada de dejar de leer. Demelza sin duda es la gran protagonista aunque Ross sigue siendo el mejor personaje, tan complejo y con tantas aristas y contradicciones...
Definitivamente adoro cómo escribe Winston Graham, siempre con la frase perfecta a mano, diciendo lo justo sin florituras y, sin embargo, expresando todo de un modo muy bello y sutil.
Adoro la historia, los personajes y lo que he leído. Estoy deseando seguir sus andanzas y sufrir co
Re-read. As excellent as I remember when I first read it years ago and a few times in between. Characters are so well drawn they seem like real people who you would love to go visit. Wonderful setting in Cornwall as well.
This review was first published in Babblings of a Bookworm: http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

This is book 2 in the Poldark series, so the following may contain some spoilers in relation to the events of book 1, though I've tried to keep them minimal. Read on at your own risk!

Here Demelza begins to really bloom into herself. She begins to gain confidence, both in her marriage and within society, finding that she can hold her own against uncharitable people, and discovering, to her amazemen
What can I say. Demelza has been with me for the past few days and I feel so sad that it's come to an end.
I found this book so engrossing the Sunday dinner was almost late.
Jud made me laugh when he walked down the isle of the church during evensong a little worse for drink!
It's made me chuckle and some parts were very moving with the plight of Mark Daniel.
The ending was so very sad to and I did feel for Demelza!
This book is so much better than the drama. You get a real feel for the charaters, th
This one (#2) is the one I remember the most and so just skim read it this time. But I wanted to review in context before I read #3 or #4. It seemed important to put Demelza into her total transition and onus before I read further into the series. Her natural honesty just makes the entire series for me. Her candid soul and open energy. Priceless!
Ti-Leigh Telford
It took me a while to finish this and I'm not sure why. I've done this before. Ripped through Ross Poldark and get bogged down in the middle of Demelza, never to finish it. Well, once I picked it up again, I couldn't put it down. Graham is so good at characterization. Even though, "dramatic" things happen, it doesn't feel contrived.
The Poldark series rocks. I didn't give it five stars, because it's not earthshattering, but like its predecessor, "Demelza" is a solid four stars. A good read, well-written, absorbing, interesting characters and relationships, etc.
Elizabeth Woodham
I wish I could write a feisty, absolutely adorable character such as Demelza. The Poldark series is magnificent. Highly recommended and totally addictive.
I am enjoying this series both though the books and through the Masterpiece Theater version of them. This book, the second of the series, was also included in the first season of the show and although the show was mostly true to the book with only slight variations, I did enjoy getting the extra details from the book. The cliffhanger here, both in the book and in Masterpiece, definitely calls one to go on to the third book, Jeremy Poldark, rather than wait a year for resolution from the shows.

For the Demelza booktrail of literary locations - link: The Demelza booktrail

The second book in the Poldark series and this time we hear from the street urchin/kitchen maid Delmelza who is now Poldark’s wife..Sigh, not that we’re jealous or anything.

Story in a nutshell

For starting life as an impoverished street urchin, Delmeza Carne has done quite well for herself. She is now married to Ross Poldark and yet struggles to live in his world with ‘his people’. Ross continues to fight for the rights
Richard Vobes
So this is the second book in the line of Poldark stories by the fabulous Winston Graham (sadly no longer with us). I read a little about his approach to writing this book from his autobiography 'Memoirs of a Private Man'. He spent a lot of time thinking and many rewrites to parts of the novel. As a self-publish author, I read and listen to blogs and podcasts telling me the importance of getting new books out quickly in order to gain traction on the online retailers web sites, but what I love ab ...more
Grace Elliot
Starts with a birth and ends with a death!
I was so enthralled by book 1 in the Poldark series (Ross) that I just had to read book 2 (Demelza) to find out if Demelza was pregnant or not! Well, I guess the title of this review gives the game away, but let's just say that Demelza gives birth in a suitably dramatic way.
There is so much to love about the Poldark books; be it the wonderfully evocative characters or the gritty realism of the social setting. What keeps me reading is Ross and how he is
As it happened with the first book "Ross Poldark" I couldn't put this book down, hence me finished it faster. Winston Graham has a way with words, and it just sucks you into the story and for a moment you forget about the world and immerse in 18th Century Cornwall.

Of course I read this immediately after I finished the first one. I actually ended it before the broadcast of the last chapter in the BBC adaptation so I knew what was gonna happened and I knew it would be sad.

The good: The plot. The c
Kate Sherrod
This 1970s version of the cover of Winston Graham's second Poldark novel, Demelza, keeps cracking me up. I wouldn't have touched it in a million years, with its emphasis on lustiness and defiant love and whatnot. I would though, have been missing out.

As I observed recently, I was sold on the idea of reading these by the BBC TV adaptation (America's Grandest New TV Saga the little green label on this book cover says), but even so was not quite prepared for how much I would like these books, like
Book 2 of the POLDARK series had a bit more mining-- technical --jargon than I would have cared for....but I loved the book anyway. The author does not let you easily into Ross' mind or when he does reveal more, it just makes you fall in love with the guy as much as Demelza does. And she's the most lovable character, but real, too. Can't wait to start Book 3!!
Patty Killion
Demelza Poldark, A Novel of Cornwall is the enchanting second novel in the Poldark series. Poldark, is a new TV series from Masterpiece on PBS.

It is written against the backdrop of eighteenth century Cornwall.

I do not want to share much with you as this is just the second in a series of thirteen books. I will tell you that in this book we follow Demelza a poor miner's daughter that Ross Poldark rescued from a fairground brawl and she is now his wife. We see how some of her own decisions, based o
This is the second novel in the Poldark series and is set in Cornwall (1788-1790). Turbulent times are ahead with social unrest widespread locally and abroad. Demelza struggles to find her place in society but grows in self-confidence. Ross finds his duties take up much of his time and numerous events affect his temperament. With some wonderful writing of dramatic, poignant and funny moments. The touching story of Mark Daniel and the complications of Verity's life choices. Graham writes thoughtf ...more
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"

It was fun reading about Demelza'S growth from a street urchin into a lady of the gentry. Bk2 Demelza is the story of her married life with Ross Poldark and her motherhood. She and Ross have had a daughter Julia. The old characters written in bk1 are in bk2 with a few news ones. Life in the 16th century was certainly a very hard one for the cold miners in Cornwall. The story had a side story involving Ross Poldarks cousin Verity and Capt. Andrew Blamey. After a long se
Feb 17, 2015 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of family saga, Cornish setting and historical fiction
This book opens in May 1878. Demelza, who married Ross Poldark at the end of the first book is about to give birth to her first child. The early scenes in and around Nampara include some great dialogue in the local dialect.

I like the way this book deals with aspects of the mining, especially the economic difficulties created by the low prices paid by processors of the ore. Interwoven into this are the food riots of the time. These combining to give an historically accurate insight into the socia
Laura Hartness
Winston Graham’s story of Ross Poldark, his wife and the Cornwall society in which they live continues in the second volume of the series, Demelza. The narrative picks up not long after the conclusion of Poldark, in the spring of 1788. Demelza is giving birth to their first child, Ross continues to pursue his interests in the mining industry, and there are relationship entanglements abounding throughout the many levels of society. Although Ross and Demelza are now married, their life together sh ...more
This is the second book in the Poldark series. Like many others, I am new to these books. Even though they were written around 70 years ago, I had never heard of them until I read about a new BBC series. I prefer to read a book before watching a show, so I have quickly read through the first two books of the series.

This book continues on from where book 1 ended - that is 18th Century Cornwall. However, this book is a little more bleak than the first book with things turning bad for Ross and Co.
Emma Woodcock
More of the same, and very enjoyable too.

But am I the only one disturbed by the attitude towards men who kill their wives? One such character I didn't give much thought to, but when there's a second wife killing, and everyone's sympathies are with the killer - that makes me uncomfortable. I realise the author is accurately portraying the attitudes of the time, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to accept. I found it alienating. It brought me out of the story, and mad
Jenny Burnley
I love Winston Graham's Poldark books. I think he captures the mood of the era with his great characters, especially the Cornish dialogue, just right to a T. It is very amusing at times, but also has the sadness and pathos to make the story real and urges the reader to read on way into the night to find out what happens in the next chapter. A great book to recommend even if you have seen the TV versions. The books are far funnier I think.
Loved how this saga continues into the lives of the Poldarks and the folks that revolve around them. It is told in a gentle plodding kind of way. But, just right for capturing the time period and culture.

Per the title, this story has a focus on Demelza who starts to come into her own as an adult, wife and mother. She tries her hand at navigating relationships, like matchmaking, and learns a thing or two.

The story also introduces new characters and reveals more about on-going individual character
Trish Ndabananiye
Having quickly read the first book in the series the others were duly read and considerably quickly for me. Before Poldark I do not think I had made it through a whole book. I would start a book not get very far, put a book mark in. By the time I came back to the story it would require a lot of re-reading until I caught up to where I had left off. This was not the case with the Poldark novels. I have sometimes read into the wee small hours reading not wanting to put the book down. The thing is y ...more
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 1 4 Oct 09, 2015 08:35AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Your Favourite Moments 7 5 Oct 05, 2015 05:58PM
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • The King's General
  • Married by Christmas (Smoky Mountain Matches, #5)
  • The Blackstone Key
  • River of Destiny
  • Before the Kiss
  • Gemini (The House of Niccolo, #8)
  • What Would Mary Berry Do?
  • My Enemy's Tears: The Witch of Northampton
  • Deadly Election (Flavia Albia Mystery, #3)
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • Letters At Christmas (Men Of Fortune, #1)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz; The Road to Oz; The Emerald City of Oz - Book 2
  • Buffalo Soldier
  • truecrime
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and in 1983 was awarded the O.B ...more
More about Winston Graham...

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)
Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1) Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3) Warleggan (Poldark, #4) The Black Moon (Poldark, #5) The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)

“An hour before dawn they went down to the cove, following the bubble of the stream and the descending combe, with a glowworm here and there green-lit like a jewel in the dark.” 1 likes
“No bal maidens or spallers” 1 likes