Start by marking “Demelza: A Novel of Cornwall, 1788–1790 (Poldark, #2)” as Want to Read:
Demelza: A Novel of Cornwall, 1788–1790 (Poldark, #2)

Demelza: A Novel of Cornwall, 1788–1790 (The Poldark Saga #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  5,715 Ratings  ·  464 Reviews
Demelza Carne, the impoverished miner's daughter Ross Poldark rescued from a fairground rabble, is now his wife. But the events of these turbulent years test their marriage and their love.

Demelza's efforts to adapt to the ways of the gentry - and her husband - bring her confusion and heartache, despite the joy in the birth of their first child. Ross begins a bitter struggl
Published June 6th 2008 by Pan Books (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Demelza, please sign up.

Anna
The BBC's new version of Poldark ended this weekend with heartbreak and a literal cliff-hanger. Over the past eight episodes (which covered the first two books) I fell head over heels in love with Ross and Demelza, played by the ridiculously handsome Aidan Turner and the beautiful Eleanor Tomlinson. They had so much chemistry, conveying so much emotion, passion and confliction, and they turned me into a swooning pile of mush!

After it finished, I wanted to immediately read the third book in the
Karen
Aug 09, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS

I am completely engrossed in this series now. This is the second book in the Poldark series which was first published back in the 1940's. I was encouraged to read the books after first watching the recently released television series on BBC.

The series centers around the life of Ross Poldark, who is a dark and broody character, arrogant and strong, yet often overly compassionate in his nature. It is the late 1780's and he has returned from war to his home in Cornwall, England, only to fin
Linda O'Donnell
Ross sighed. "You have married into a peculiar family. You must never expect the Poldarks to behave in the most rational manner. I have long since given up expecting it. We are hasty -- quite incredibly hasty, it seems -- and sharp-tempered, strong in our likes and dislikes and unreasonable in them."

Demelza is the second book in the Poldark Series by Winston Graham. This story builds beautifully upon the first book in the series. Ross Poldark, returning to the ruins of his beloved family estate
Piper
Aug 19, 2016 Piper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, re-read
"Ross," she said, "I should like you to make it up with Francis sometime. It would be better all around."
"Sometime."
"Sometime soon."
"Sometime soon."
He had no heart to argue with her.

The sun shone full upon her face, showing the thin cheeks and the pallid skin.

"When something happens," she said, "like what has just happened to us, it makes all our quarrels seem small and mean, as if we were quarreling when we hadn't the right. Didn't we ought to find all the friendship we can?"
"If friendship is
Vikki Patis
Mar 21, 2015 Vikki Patis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read Demelza, the second in the Poldark series by Winston Graham, for the Cornish Reading Challenge.

If you haven't heard about Poldark yet, where the hell have you been? The brand new series, starring Aiden Turner as Ross Poldark, is currently showing on BBC One (Sundays at 9pm). The show covers the first two books in the series.

I fell in love with the world of Poldark as soon as I picked up the first book, Ross Poldark. Due to my love for Cornwall, I knew I would adore everything abo
Inés Izal
Jun 10, 2016 Inés Izal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Demasiado bonico, aunque me han hecho mucho de sufrir.
Sophia
After reading the first book in the Poldark Saga, I was eager for more of the gritty, atmospheric world set along the Cornish coast in the late eighteen hundreds. The writing, tone, characters, dialogue and setting were of the finest I have read. I was not disappointed when I continued with the story in this second book of the series which really needs to be read in order.

As the title states clearly, this is Demelza's book. She was a waif and an emerging woman in the first book, but this book sh
Lucia
Mar 04, 2016 Lucia marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
DNF

Unfortunately, second book in Poldark series isn't as engaging as first one so I'm putting it aside for now. Hopefully the right mood will strike me one day so I can finish it.
Ceri
Jul 31, 2015 Ceri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This review was first published in Babblings of a Bookworm: http://babblingsofabookworm.blogspot....

This is book 2 in the Poldark series, so the following may contain some spoilers in relation to the events of book 1, though I've tried to keep them minimal. Read on at your own risk!

Here Demelza begins to really bloom into herself. She begins to gain confidence, both in her marriage and within society, finding that she can hold her own against uncharitable people, and discovering, to her amazemen
Karen
Aug 21, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read was even better than the first time around!
Mary
Nov 30, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say. Demelza has been with me for the past few days and I feel so sad that it's come to an end.
I found this book so engrossing the Sunday dinner was almost late.
Jud made me laugh when he walked down the aisle of the church during evensong a little worse for drink!
It's made me chuckle and some parts were very moving with the plight of Mark Daniel.
The ending was so very sad too and I did feel for Demelza!
This book is so much better than the drama. You get a real feel for the charaters,
Lisbeth
Jun 30, 2015 Lisbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-fiction
Poldark series; Ross, Demelza, Jeremy and Warleggan by Winston Graham

Addictive! This is the word to describe what happens when you start reading the first book in this
series. Winston Graham has written historical fiction at its best. Cornwall in the end of the 18th century, where people are mainly depending on the tin and copper mines.

The story starts when Ross, a young man from the higher classes, but without money, comes back after having fought in the American wars. Being rather disillusioned
Rebecca Huston
This one picks right up where Ross Poldark leaves off. All sorts of romantic entanglements, a christening party goes hysterically wrong, a new arrival throws a couple into a tragedy, and be sure to keep the hankies handy. Very well written, full of twists and surprises, and what I really like in historical fiction, characters that you like in spite of themselves. Four stars overall, and very much recommended.

For the longer review, please go here:

Lauren Stoolfire
It's been a few years since Ross has returned and he's beginning to realize that Demelza has grown up, and has caught his eye. She not at all the same as regal Elizabeth, but she is more than irresistible. After the couple marries, Demelza knows she'll have to adapt to the ways of the upper classes, so as not to embarrass Ross or herself. While they know joy in each others company, they also experience more than their fair share of trouble - enough to test their strong marriage bond.

After finish
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Un gran libro. Ha sido una lectura muy intensa, complicada de dejar de leer. Demelza sin duda es la gran protagonista aunque Ross sigue siendo el mejor personaje, tan complejo y con tantas aristas y contradicciones...
Definitivamente adoro cómo escribe Winston Graham, siempre con la frase perfecta a mano, diciendo lo justo sin florituras y, sin embargo, expresando todo de un modo muy bello y sutil.
Adoro la historia, los personajes y lo que he leído. Estoy deseando seguir sus andanzas y sufrir co
Susan
Feb 28, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read. As excellent as I remember when I first read it years ago and a few times in between. Characters are so well drawn they seem like real people who you would love to go visit. Wonderful setting in Cornwall as well.
Shelley
Exquisite. This feels to me like Downton Abbey -- living among both the aristocracy and the village folk. Witnessing how their lives intertwine through conflicts and shared life experiences.

The story revolves around Ross Poldark and his wife Demelza, a truly realistic love story. I felt the emotions experienced by the characters so clearly, and the imagery was so vivid and colorful in front of my eyes. Winston Graham was an exceptional writer. He gives us a great male perspective from a hardene
Kate Sherrod
May 03, 2013 Kate Sherrod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1970s version of the cover of Winston Graham's second Poldark novel, Demelza, keeps cracking me up. I wouldn't have touched it in a million years, with its emphasis on lustiness and defiant love and whatnot. I would though, have been missing out.

As I observed recently, I was sold on the idea of reading these by the BBC TV adaptation (America's Grandest New TV Saga the little green label on this book cover says), but even so was not quite prepared for how much I would like these books, like
Richard Vobes
Sep 11, 2014 Richard Vobes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So this is the second book in the line of Poldark stories by the fabulous Winston Graham (sadly no longer with us). I read a little about his approach to writing this book from his autobiography 'Memoirs of a Private Man'. He spent a lot of time thinking and many rewrites to parts of the novel. As a self-publish author, I read and listen to blogs and podcasts telling me the importance of getting new books out quickly in order to gain traction on the online retailers web sites, but what I love ab ...more
LemonLinda
Aug 08, 2015 LemonLinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this series both though the books and through the Masterpiece Theater version of them. This book, the second of the series, was also included in the first season of the show and although the show was mostly true to the book with only slight variations, I did enjoy getting the extra details from the book. The cliffhanger here, both in the book and in Masterpiece, definitely calls one to go on to the third book, Jeremy Poldark, rather than wait a year for resolution from the shows.

T
Grace Elliot
Dec 16, 2011 Grace Elliot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts with a birth and ends with a death!
I was so enthralled by book 1 in the Poldark series (Ross) that I just had to read book 2 (Demelza) to find out if Demelza was pregnant or not! Well, I guess the title of this review gives the game away, but let's just say that Demelza gives birth in a suitably dramatic way.
There is so much to love about the Poldark books; be it the wonderfully evocative characters or the gritty realism of the social setting. What keeps me reading is Ross and how he is
Ti-Leigh Telford
It took me a while to finish this and I'm not sure why. I've done this before. Ripped through Ross Poldark and get bogged down in the middle of Demelza, never to finish it. Well, once I picked it up again, I couldn't put it down. Graham is so good at characterization. Even though, "dramatic" things happen, it doesn't feel contrived.
Jeanette
Aug 22, 2015 Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one (#2) is the one I remember the most and so just skim read it this time. But I wanted to review in context before I read #3 or #4. It seemed important to put Demelza into her total transition and onus before I read further into the series. Her natural honesty just makes the entire series for me. Her candid soul and open energy. Priceless!
Sønia
Jan 21, 2016 Sønia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No me ha gustado tanto como el primero pero se nota que es una historia con mucho recorrido. Estoy segura que tienen que pasar muchas cosas todavía y no pienso perderme nada. Seguiré con la historia en breve.
K
Dec 21, 2008 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Poldark series rocks. I didn't give it five stars, because it's not earthshattering, but like its predecessor, "Demelza" is a solid four stars. A good read, well-written, absorbing, interesting characters and relationships, etc.
Thebooktrail
For the Demelza booktrail of literary locations - link: The Demelza booktrail

The second book in the Poldark series and this time we hear from the street urchin/kitchen maid Delmelza who is now Poldark’s wife..Sigh, not that we’re jealous or anything.

Story in a nutshell

For starting life as an impoverished street urchin, Delmeza Carne has done quite well for herself. She is now married to Ross Poldark and yet struggles to live in his world with ‘his people’. Ross continues to fight for the rights
Samantha
In this installment, Ross and his young wife Demelza welcome their first child Julia into the world. Demelza struggles with the status she has married into, but her love for Ross hasn't faded and she remains friends with Verity. However, two bitter feuds, a shocking crime, and an unexpected tradgedy threatens everything.
Carmen
May 19, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Demelza Carne,the impoverished girl whom Ross rescues from bullies at a county fair, has to adjust here to Nampara's life and to the behaviour expected from Mrs Poldark. Despite some major failures in her first steps in high class events she starts developing. Demelza truly evolves. She becomes self-assured, mannered and lovely, but never loses those charms of backward rural Cornwall,which is good,because she is warm, stubborn, determined and open. As Demelza’s confidence grows she takes some st ...more
Lisazj1
I loved this one, though it left me sad. This second book in the series goes deeper into the lives of all the characters, while Demelza becomes a woman grown, friend, wife & mother.

I enjoyed getting to be so much in Demelza's head while she worked her way into her role as Ross's wife, into believing that she could be a good wife for him. Despite her insecurities, it often surprised me how easily she seemed to see into the real heart of things, how she stuck to the things she thought were rig
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
This book took me to where Season One of the show ended. I feel like I got to know Verity much better in the book though, and the occasional perspective change added to the narrative. It was also easier to empathize with Mark Daniel and even Keren, where as on the show Keren was portrayed as a bratty, ungrateful, adulterous bitch. At least, that's what I got from the one-dimensional portrayal. Really excited to see where the story goes next, especially after all the tragedy at the end of this on ...more
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Your Favourite Moments 9 50 Dec 21, 2016 08:05PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Bastille Day 2 18 Jul 18, 2016 11:52AM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: New characters introduced in this book 1 13 Jan 13, 2016 08:18AM
Poldark Saga discussion group 3 16 Dec 06, 2015 08:03PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: * PAGES DELETED FROM DEMELZA 1 64 Nov 30, 2015 09:14PM
Poldark Saga - Wi...: Synopsis and Major Events-SPOILERS! 4 40 Nov 25, 2015 03:18PM
  • The Green Gauntlet
  • Isabel the Fair
  • The Ringed Castle (The Lymond Chronicles, #5)
  • Vendetta
  • The Reinvention of Love
  • The King's General
  • What Would Mary Berry Do?
  • Mr. Darcy's Pledge: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (The Darcy Novels, #1)
  • Saraband for Two Sisters (Daughters of England, #4)
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • Downton Abbey: The Complete Scripts, Season One
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • The Lost Prince: The Survival of Richard of York
  • In Consequence: A Retelling of North and South
  • Johnny One-Eye: A Tale of the American Revolution
  • The Bad Baron's Daughter
  • A Bachelor Establishment
Winston Graham was the author of forty novels. His books have been widely translated and the Poldark series has been developed into two television series, shown in 22 countries. Six of Winston Graham's books have been filmed for the big screen, the most notable being Marnie, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Winston Graham was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature and in 1983 was awarded the O.B ...more
More about Winston Graham...

The Poldark Saga (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Ross Poldark (Poldark, #1)
  • Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3)
  • Warleggan (Poldark, #4)
  • The Black Moon (Poldark, #5)
  • The Four Swans (Poldark, #6)
  • The Angry Tide (Poldark, #7)
  • The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8)
  • The Miller's Dance (Poldark, #9)
  • The Loving Cup (Poldark, #10)
  • The Twisted Sword (Poldark, #11)

“Strange sometimes how easy bitter words came, how hard the kind ones.” 15 likes
“They are all sentimentalists at heart, the Poldarks, Verity thought, and she realized suddenly for the first time that it was a dangerous trait, far more dangerous than any cynicism.” 8 likes