The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)

The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  600 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Ellie Haskell, nee Simons, newly wed and thin in charming Chitterton Fells, helps Misses Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell of Flowers Detection Agency investigate the high number of dead unfaithful husbands. To uncover the mastermind in the social Widows Club, Ellie poses as an unhappy and betrayed wife.
Published September 7th 1989 by Bantam Books (first published 1988)

Heavy Duty People by Iain ParkeBlood Orchids by Toby NealSworn to Silence by Linda CastilloThe Manson File by Nikolas SchreckTable 21 by T. Rafael Cimino
CRIME WRITERS WHO DESERVE MORE ATTENTION
132nd out of 383 books — 176 voters
Murder With Peacocks by Donna AndrewsThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Black Echo by Michael ConnellyThe Thin Woman by Dorothy Cannell
Best Mysteries from the 1990s
66th out of 182 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

I like the genre that is referred to as "cozy mysteries". Any perusal of my Good Reads page would bear witness of this fact. This writer's literary offerings fall into this category. If you like mysteries written with a sense of humor and where murder and suspense are portrayed with a light touch, you will like this author and her alter ego, Ellie Haskell.

Ellie and Bentley Haskell are newlyweds anticipating a blissful life together when Ellie meets Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell of Flowers Dete...more
Riannon
I think I'm done with this series. This book really only deserved 1.5 stars but I rounded up. The murder mystery part of it really stretched the limits of credibility and dragged on too long. But what was even worse was the way the author so obviously manufactured problems for their marriage just to attempt to add more conflict to the plot. The husband is obviously supposed to be wonderful but he is extremely inconsiderate and the protagonist won't communicate or stand up for herself.

Also, the w...more
Carolin
Ein schöner, ganz ohne blutige Beschreibungen auskommender Krimi, der dazu noch vor einer tollen Kulisse spielt und eine lustige Heldin hat, die gerade aus einem Chicklit-Roman gepurzelt sein könnte! Selbige, Giselle, wird mit wunderbar schrulligen Privatdetektivinnen und der schockierenden Tatsache konfrontiert, in ihrem beschaulichen Städtchen gingen männermordende Frauen umher, deren Lebenstraum es sei, Witwe zu werden. So rutscht sie in eine für sie und ihren frisch angetrauten Ehemann sehr...more
George
The story line was interesting and different, but the female lead, Ellie, drove me bats from beginning to end. She could be whinny, fussy, sounding like she had an eating disorder, and ranging from incompetent to very competent. The supporting characters could also drive you bats as well, especially Ellie's cousin Freddy.

Story is set in a small English coastal town with newly married Ellie and Ben. Ellie lacks self confidence and basically worries too much about too many things relating to her m...more
Stephanie Bryant
Nuts, absolutely nuts but rather fun.
Anne Hawn Smith
This one isn't quite as good as the first, but still, very entertaining. Ellie is every young woman who is a bit insecure about her appearance and worth. It's fun to watch her blossom as she begins to get some confidence in herself. This has all the elements that make the English cozy mysteries great. It's lots of fun and will leave you wanting to know more.
Sandie
An English cozy mystery with an unusual premise. The Widows Club arranges for its members to BE widows. Nearly all of the husbands were unfaithful and they were helped into a different life. Ellie Haskell joins Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell of the Flowers Detection Agency to find out how, and whom. Funny at times. A good escape read.
Rebecca Hannahan
This is pure escapism. Just a fun, light hearted English murder mystery. I recommend reading the whole series which begins with The Thin Woman. The characters are enjoyable, I'd like to visit the village and Ellie Haskell just reminds me of myself.
G
The second in Dorothy Cannell's series, after the Thin Woman. I LOVE this author! If I could write books, I would want them to be like hers! Hilarious, scatterbrained British wife/mother/female humor wrapped up in a murder mystery.
mim
This was another quick read. I decided to try the second book in the series. I didn't like is as much as the first. A bit silly and convoluted. I probably won't read any others, unless I'm in need of a quick little murder mystery.
Chanin
Another witty and clever "Ellie Haskell" mystery. I love Dorothy Cannell's books. She never ceases to surprise with her twists and turns. I can never guess an ending.
V  J Fazio
A lot of catastrophizing by the main character.
Juliet Gilchrist
These books are so wacky. I enjoy them. I still enjoy how the characters are flawed, but you still like them.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
DNF- It started off to a good start. But I got bored quickly after. Time to keep it moving to the next book!
Patricia
May 03, 2009 Patricia added it
Shelves: read-2009
this book had me alittle confused at first. I couldn't figure out if her husband was really dead or not.
Julie
Jul 29, 2011 Julie added it
Shelves: british-mystery
didn't like this one as well as others i've read in the series. but expect to like the next one.
Roberta
Too long and drawn out, too many characters to keep track of. I could hardly wait for it to end.
jen8998
So cute! The author loses steam in this series but this early work is very entertaining.
Judie
I preferred the first book to this one. I missed the humor of the first book.
The Widow's Club by Dorothy Cannell (1989)
Bgordonsgirl
This book is TOO funny! Love the premise.
Amanda
Suprisingly a slow read this time.
Tamlynn
More mindless fun in a murder mystery.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 Toesnorth's mom added it
Shelves: mom-s
boring English, couldn't read
  • The Merchant of Menace (Jane Jeffry, #10)
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • The Body in the Bonfire (Faith Fairchild, #12)
  • Missing Susan (Elizabeth MacPherson, #6)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • The Body In The Transept (Dorothy Martin, #1)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
  • Killer Wedding (Madeline Bean, #3)
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • The Deadly Dance (Agatha Raisin, #15)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3)
  • Creeps Suzette (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #15)
  • Murder Most Crafty
(from Fantastic Fiction online)

Dorothy Cannell was born in London, England, and now lives in Belfast, Maine. Dorothy Cannell writes mysteries featuring Ellie Haskell, interior decorator and Ben Haskell, writer and chef, and Hyacinth and Primrose Tramwell, a pair of dotty sisters and owners of the Flowers Detection Agency.

(from Internet Book List)

Dorothy Cannell, a mother of four, grandmother of te...more
More about Dorothy Cannell...
The Thin Woman (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #1) Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #12) How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #6) Mum's the Word (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #4) The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #8)