Start by marking “A Spaniard in the Works” as Want to Read:
A Spaniard in the Works

A Spaniard in the Works

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  906 ratings  ·  39 reviews
"It is fascinating of course to climb inside a Beatle's head to see what's going on there, but what counts is that what's going on there is really fascinating".--London Sunday Times 30 two-color line drawings.
Published June 1st 1995 by Buccaneer Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about A Spaniard in the Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spaniard in the Works

Billy
Oct 24, 2007 Billy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Same people who already read "In His Own Write"
Same deal as "In His Own Write," but a little darker. Still thin absurdist prose-slinging.

Tragic thing is, I really like absurdist comedy most of all. But I always feel bad laughing at it when no one else does, or putting it in front of people who don't think it's NEARLY as good as I do, or, worse yet, trying to be absurdistly funny myself and getting the same polite or uncomfortable reception.
MsFolio
Absurdist writings at its best.

Sat Belonely

I sat belonely down a tree,
humbled fat and small.
A little lady sing to me
I couldn't see at all.

I'm looking up and at the sky,
to find such wonderous voice.
Puzzly puzzle, wonder why,
I hear but have no choice.

"Speak up, come forth, you ravel me",
I potty menthol shout.
"I know you hiddy by this tree".
But still she won't come out.

Such softly singing lulled me sleep,
as hour or two or so
I wakeny slow and took a peep
and still no lady show.

Then s
Stacy
Aug 07, 2010 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beatles/Lennon fans
I have not read In His Own Write yet, because I have not seen it in any stores. I came across A Spaniard in the Works at a local used book store and just had to pick it up, being such a huge fan of The Beatles.

This is a very nonsensical book filled with jokes that I'm sure on Lennon and the other Beatles understood when it was written. I have no idea whether Lennon decided to publish in a way of mocking literature or if he was truly expressing himself through this writing. Whatever the case may
Garrett Zecker
More doggerel poetry from "the writing Beatle." Honestly, it was nothing special, but it was more interesting and engaging than the first one I had read, "In His Own Write." To paraphrase my review of that book, I had gotten both as a gift from someone who had read them in the time that they were released. In the context of the artistic expression and experimentation of the time, it is original and exotic, but the writing is really just a manifestation of witty cockney-rhyme-slang that is actual ...more
P.Sannie
Mar 17, 2010 P.Sannie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beatles fans, John Lennon fans
Shelves: the-beatles
Absurd. This is more ridiculous and nonsensical than In His Own Write. However, I wonder if the whole collection of stories and poems is John just mocking what is considered "literary." Perhaps as a result of his fame as a musician, he could basically churn out whatever he wanted and people would eat it up, calling him the "intellectual" Beatle or saying that it's "deep," when really, he's just laughing his way to the bank.

And yes, I deem this book absurd, ridiculous, and nonsensical, yet, it is
Nicole
As much as I adored "In His Own Write," I was disappointed by this book. "A Spaniard in the Works" is to "In His Own Write" as "Help!" is to "A Hard Day's Night." In both cases, the former seemed fresh and fun, while the follow-up seemed a little forced and not quite as delightful.

"In His Own Write" used lots of wordplay, and for his second book, Lennon seems to have decided that if a little creativity was good, then a lot of liberties taken with the language must be great. Unfortunately, in AS
J.P.
Jun 23, 2008 J.P. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: John Lennon fans, Beatle fans, poetry fans
Recommended to J.P. by: Yoko Ono's accountant not really
See my review of Lennon's IN HIS OWN WRITE, which includes insights on this title.

Purchase this book only if you're a Lennon completist or the thought of padding Yoko's pocket$ makes you feel warm n' snuggly inside. Otherwise, check amazon.com for the paperback "two-fer" edition.

A SPANIARD IN THE WORKS is also notable for the cameo appearance it makes in the 1965 Beatles film "Help!" It's the book Lennon pulls from the bookshelf and kisses repeatedly in his hole-in-the-floor bedroom, as Paul pl
Katsumi
A delightful collection of scribblings - poerty, short prose, cartoons -from a music legend.

It's seriously weird in places, but wonderfully poignant in others. Written by someone who likes playing with language.

In 'A Spaniard...' many of the best pieces are twisted children's tales - 'The Fat Budgie' or 'The Wumberlog (Or The Magic Dog)'. It's here that he reins in his more experimental word-play.

His messy fusion of words is great, a continual flow of neologisms jumping at you off the page. Lin
Garrett Cash
Not quite as breezy or funny as In His Own Write, but if you read the first you might as well read the second.
Richard Epstein
I blush to think how many years it took me to understand the title. We didn't have "spanners," not then, not there. I must have been the only one in the country, though: I never met anyone else who told me, "No, I was clueless, too."

As for the book, like Tarantula, it would have sunk without a trace, had anyone else written it; but that doesn't mean it was without wit.
Joan Lattanzio
I loved this one too, thing that didnt happen with In his own write (language so changed and adepted which made it really hard to understand and given that the books are nonsense already, hard and almost impossible to keep up with) This one though ia genius, just like skywrting by word o mouth, the poems are extraordinary and a little macabre, funny and entertaining. Made me fall in love once again, weird little characters with huge complicated stories that reminded me of people in real life and ...more
Lysergius
It seemed so funny at the time. Just dated now. Too bad
Peter
Jul 18, 2014 Peter added it
fab,gear, what do you think........:)
James
I was initially enjoying the Joycean wordplay, but after dozens of pages of it, with no relief, it gets quite tiresome. The cartoons are silly and might be of interest.
Richard
If John had written nothing else, this book would not have assured his immortality. But it still would have been a cult classic. I've always liked it, and it was a big early influence on my own thinking at a critical time of my childhood. I have two copies of the book, different editions. I keep them both behind glass. Honestly, I do.
Pete daPixie
Here is another book, read sooooo long ago, I can no longer remember any detail to give this any sort of significant review. Too many years have rolled by, too few brain cells remaining, memory banks overdrawn. Tilt.
Anyway, it's Lennon, so it's gear!
DeAnna Rigney
As in his first book, In His Own Write, Lennon gives us short stories, poems, drawings, etc. Some are witty and cute, others mysterious and sometimes dark, but all of the work within is pretty darn creative. Lovely.
Alan
not the greatest book in the world but fun. I remember reading it as an adolescent in 1960 something and loving it and it's probably the age you should read it.
Arnold
One of several books that John wrote and published. In all honesty not exactly literature but then he probably never intended it to be. But has a certain iconic value
David

A brilliant lyricist, a womanizer, a great songwriter and performer. But John Lennon wasn't much of a writer (and his doodles ain't that great, either.)
Allyson
Like I said about In His Own Write, it is fun to experience a different aspect of Lennon's creativity - his clever, very dry British wit...
Benn Jones
Another incomprehensible book with a collection of Lennon's drawing and writing that I cannot fully grasp but stil enjoy what is in front of me.
Chris Gager
I might have read the first one too but I don't remember. I do have a vague memory of reading this way back when. Date read is a guess
Angelina
A little different from In His Own Write but nevertheless funny (a bit darker and more political) and amusing illustrations.
Emilie Leming
As with his first book, this was also a fun romp through the weird & wonderful mind of John Lennon.
Kelly
snore wife and some several dwarts is a fave, as well as the sherlock one.
Susanne
John Lennon really was someone else... Liked this book and the drawings a lot.
Kirstin
Can't decide if this was better than In His Own Write. Still a fun read. ^_^
Sarah beara
John, of course, always had a gift with words. Worth a gander.
Gregory Roth
I love the poetry of John Lennon. Always quirky and off the wall.
  • Memories of John Lennon
  • Instamatic Karma: Photographs of John Lennon
  • The Beatles
  • A Hard Day's Write: The Stories Behind Every Beatles Song
  • The Complete Beatles Chronicle
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • The Longest Cocktail Party
  • Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album By Album, Song By Song, The Sixties And After
  • The Beatles: Unseen Archives
  • I, Me, Mine
  • Blackbird Singing: Poems and Lyrics, 1965-1999
19968
John Winston Ono Lennon, MBE, was an English singer-songwriter who rose to worldwide fame as one of the founding members of The Beatles, and together with Paul McCartney formed one of the most successful songwriting partnerships of the 20th century.

Born and raised in Liverpool, Lennon became involved in the skiffle craze as a teenager, his first band, The Quarrymen, evolving into The Beatles in 19
More about John Lennon...
In His Own Write The John Lennon Letters Skywriting by Word of Mouth and Other Writings The Writings of John Lennon Real Love: The Drawings for Sean

“Araminta Ditch was always larfing. She woof larf at these, larf at thas. Always larfing she was. Many body peofle woof look atat her saying, 'Why does that Araminta Ditch keep larfing?' They could never understamp why she was ever larfing about the place. 'I hope she's not larfing at me,' some peokle would say, 'I certainly hope that Araminta Ditch is not larfing at me.
One date Araminta rose up out of her duffle bed, larfing as usual with that insaje larf peojle had come to know her form. 'Hee! Hee! Hee!' she larfed all the way down to breakfart. 'Hee! Hee! Hee!' she gurgled over the morman papiers. 'Hee! Hee! Hee!' continude Araminta on the buzz to wirk. This pubbled the passages and condoctor equally both. 'Why is that boot larfing all the time?' inqueered an elderberry passengeorge who trabelled regularge on that roof and had a write to know.
'I bet nobody knows why I am always larfing,' said Araminta to herself privately, to herself. 'They would dearly love to know why I am always larfing like this to myselve privately to myselve. I bet some peoble would really like to know.' She was right, off course, lots of peotle would.
Araminta Ditch had a boyfred who could never see the joke. 'As long as she's happy,' he said. He was a good man. 'Pray tell me, Araminta, why is it that you larf so readily.
Yeaye, but I am sorly troubled sometimes when thy larfter causes sitch tribulation and embarresment amongst my family and elders.' Araminta would larf all the more at an outburp like this, even to the point of hysteriffs. 'Hee! Hee! Hee!' she would scream as if possesed by the very double himself.”
0 likes
“Mary Atkins pruned herselves in the mirrage, running her hand wantanly through her large blond hair. Her tight dress was cut low revealingly three or four blackheads, carefully scrubbed on her chess. She addled the final touches to her makeup and fixed her teeth firmly in her head. “He's going to want me tonight” she thought and pictured his hamsome black curly face and jaundice. She looked at her clocks impatiently and went to the window, then leapt into her favorite armchurch, picking up the paper she glassed at the headlines.

Мери Аткинс се офглеждаше в отлетялото, като съблажнинително прокарваше ръка през огромната си руса коса. Прилепналата й рокля имаше дълбоко изрязано голямо доколкоте, разкройвающо три или четири бенки, наместени внимателно по гърдите й. Тя положи последните краски от грима си и много внимателно намести зъбите в главата си. «Той ще ме пожелава тази нощ!» — замисли се Мери Аткинс и си представи неговото прасиво черно къдресто лице и мезествеността му. Погледна нетърпеливо към своите стенни чиновници и отиде до прозореца, След това склокочи в любимия си бутьойл, грабна врестника и прегледа заглавията.”
0 likes