Start by marking “John Lennon: In His Own Write & A Spaniard In The Works” as Want to Read:
John Lennon: In His Own Write & A Spaniard In The Works

John Lennon: In His Own Write & A Spaniard In The Works

I was bored on the 9th of Octover 1940 when, I believe, the Nasties were still booming us led by Madolf Heatlump (who only had one). Anyway they didn't get me. I attended to varicous schools in Liddypol. And still didn't pass -- much to my Aunties supplies. As a member of the most publified Beatles my (P, G, and R's) records might seem funnier to some of you than this boo

Published December 30th 1980 by Signet (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about John Lennon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Lennon

Unigami
Sep 21, 2011 Unigami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I was just filthteen and on the Virgil of becoming totally abscessed with John Winsnot Lemmon. (This was a long long ago, me dairy queens, before the music died) These two books, which I quickly burned, really made me realize what a brilliant guy he was. At least 150 watts, when he was plugged in. I ready this book out loudly to a near-sighted speckled friend of mine in driving class and I still remember him cracking up and nearly killing us...ahh those were the days, Mary Hopkins. This is a ver ...more
Mark
Aug 05, 2007 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beatles fans
Yes, this is how much of a Beatle geek I am.
John may not have been the greatest poet outside of his songs, but he was always an interesting one. He used language as an ends instead of a means. Most of his poems seem completely nonsensical, but by the end you kind of get it. He makes up words and sentence structure to serve his own needs. And he draws simple line drawings to go with the poems. A little like Shel Silverstein, actually.
Both of these books and Skywriting By Word Of Mouth are great a
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
puns puns puns - what's not to like???
Megan Page
What a beautifully quirky wonderful man. I struggled getting through some of the nonsensical language and the last poem really threw me off, but it was a lovely compilation of the work of one of my favorite people.
René
Jul 12, 2015 René rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Part of the time as I read this I enjoyed the challenge of deciphering what he meant versus the words he used to say it. The other part of the time, the majority if I'm honest, I felt like a teacher reading poorly written papers by high school students.
Ren
I love the Beatles, I do, but I don't like John Lennon. He wasn't a good guy, so I really don't know why I bothered with this, and now I honestly wish I hadn't. This might well be the only time in the history of my reading that I actually REGRET reading a book. I'm honestly amazed that I finished this at all, and I'm even more amazed that people actually enjoyed this.
Like most things John Lennon did, it was overrated nonsense that was frequently offensive. Yeah, yeah, some of this might have be
Nicole
Dec 26, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought to myself this is not very good. However it actually is. It's ridiculous and silly and complete nonsense, primarily because of all the misspellings and words that may or may not be true and the pairing of words within the sentence. I.e. Last will and testicle.
But when reading it while each story or poem or play has several elements of ridiculousness, it really is a commentary on politics, religion, and stereotypes. He exposes them so that the reader can see the silliness and
Melissa
Feb 10, 2017 Melissa rated it liked it
Certainly absurd... Monty Python-esque. Most interestingly, I found myself often reading aloud - a lesson I learned while studying Shakespeare - to help with my understanding of the text.
Johann
Feb 14, 2015 Johann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Often crass, he likes making "Jews," "coloureds," and religion the butt of his jokes. I can understand why so many people love these books--John Lennon is a legend. He could wipe a booger in a napkin and have suckers lined up out the door to buy it. Most of these poems and short stories are nonsense. Like Lewis Carroll's nonsense poetry, you can only read so much in one sitting and then find yourself hurrying through just to finish it. I give this book three stars for the selections I did like, ...more
Dartsya
Jul 29, 2013 Dartsya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
У меня началась странная череда коротких и не очень интересных книг...
С сожалением должна сказать, что рассказы Джона Леннона к ним присоединились. Я отдаю себе отчет, что все его истории построены на немыслимых и остроумных каламбурах, высмеивании общества и так далее. И я так же понимаю, какую колоссальную работу проделали переводчики, пытаясь все это перевести. Но - тем не менее. Может быть, я просто прочитала эту книгу не в то время, не в том месте.

п.с. кстати, если вы сомневаетесь читать
Will
Sep 04, 2015 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
See my review of "In His Own Write," and then picture similar short characterizations and lilting, drunken, wee stories all written more darkly than before, and you've got it. Everybody knows about the loud Lennon anger at the world in general. [ He was forced in 1965 by 'the suits" to apologize for simply saying that The Beatles were more important to youth than Jesus. This pissed him off royally. I think he never forgave.] "Spaniard" drips acid, but is damn funny. That is, if you can take it w ...more
Keith
May 24, 2014 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I first read these not long after John Lennon’s death. (The book was impossible to find before that. After his death -- lo and behold, it's everywhere) I was surprised and puzzled. I’d never read anything like this. Now that I’m a bit older (well, a lot older) I enjoy the nonsense of Carroll and Lear and Joyce.

The stories/poems have a sophomoric darkness. Some are good like No Flies on Frank. Most are just okay. But there is a kernel of genius in them and I wish he would have continued to write
Jacinta
Apr 14, 2015 Jacinta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So like anyone who has read this high quirk pairing, I'm a fan, enter auto-bias. I think by and large, John wanted to challenge people to think for themselves, his writings here definitely stimulate the reader to do this. In a search for meaning, we draw our conclusions, they might not be right but they are the best we have. Punctuated by drawings, his trademark wit and love of word play, his sense of fun and humour shines through some of the more dark and pointed moments reminding us not to tak ...more
Sean
Sep 15, 2014 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, music
I enjoyed this quick glimpse into the mind of John Lennon. This collection of poetry, prose and drawings was entertaining, funny, insightful, whimsical and thought provoking. I felt like I could see him working out song lyrics at times through his poetry and social commentary in these pieces. I wouldn't say this is a "must read" for fans of The Beatles or John Lennon but it is a definite "should read." I consider many of his thoughts that you can see expressed in this collection of works to be a ...more
Brianna
Sep 05, 2010 Brianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Lennon, Thurber, Carroll, Joyce, or Silverstein
Part James Thurber, part Lewis Carroll, and yet somehow all John Lennon. The book is full of wordplay, which works best when he has something to say -- which happens more so in Write than Spaniard (John himself has said he wrote Spaniard under pressure and with the help of booze.)

There are laugh-out-loud funny lines ("Oh Lord, I've jes' eaten a bastard!") and black humour (Good Dog Nigel) and pure cleverness (No Flies On Frank).
Michael
Sep 22, 2010 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a sense of humor
I had both of these volumes years ago that were destroyed with many other books in my library by a house fire. I was recently in England and bought this book which contains both of John's works. He was known as the witty Beatle for good reason. His wit and skill using words is on display here and in songs like "I am the Walrus."

I read mostly for self-education, but, now and then, just to smile. These books make me smile. Just FYI...I received my Kindle today....mgc
Liz
Dec 29, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This is definitely something not to power through, but something to read, get confused, read again, and sort of get. John Lennon's word play is usually very witty, and sometimes there are wonderfully bad puns. The stories and poems are usually bizarre, but it's a worthwhile read.
Richard
Mar 28, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing
What more could any child ask than to have these two classics bound in the same volume? It's like getting two big scoops of surrealism at once. Oddly, I have the "Signet" edition with a much more interesting cover...
Cocaine
Jan 27, 2016 Cocaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lennon shows why we loved him above the others but not unkindly as he display here a wonderful wordplay that is droll, witty and intelligent.
Casey Jo
Jan 04, 2014 Casey Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like poetry/short stories, John Lennon and things that are weird I definitely recommend this book to you.
Robyn Markow
I think I'll stick to his music;these stories and poems(though I liked some of them) were just too bizarre for me.
Ash
I loved this book! I could here John's voice reading every story and poem; so many made me laugh :)
Llefser
This was the first book ever checked out of the new Castro Valley Library. I'm thinking about reporting it lost and just paying the fine.
Fenixbird SandS
Feb 13, 2008 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: For sheer whimsy....
Recommended to Fenixbird by: Brad P
Shelves: storytelling
"..hallmark of his music & lyric writing," says Bradley....hmmmm....
Rebekah Rosito
Jul 19, 2015 Rebekah Rosito rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-shelf
If it weren't for John Lennon, I'd be giving this 0 stars. I'm sure he was high af whilst writing these books. lol
Tomi Räsänen
Feb 15, 2015 Tomi Räsänen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Kikattelua kautta linjan. Ja suomentajalle propsit.
Austin Briggs
May 22, 2013 Austin Briggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He wrote some of the most inspiring and soul grabbing things I couldn't put it down.
Mark crossey
Aug 31, 2016 Mark crossey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just a book of nonsense, very dated to it's time, I didn't find it funny, more annoying and it was a chore to finish.
Edeh??
Apr 29, 2016 Edeh?? rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
S'alright
Robin Martin
I think John Lennon was a really good songwriter, an astute observer of human nature, and an admirable advocate for peace.
  • With A Little Help From My Friends: The Making of Sgt. Pepper
  • The Greedy Bastard Diary: A Comic Tour of America
  • Lennon: The Definitive Biography
  • A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles
  • Anthropology
  • A Cellarful of Noise (Rhino Rediscovery)
  • Tune In (The Beatles: All These Years, #1)
  • Selfish Pigs
  • The Walrus Was Paul: The Great Beatle Death Clues
  • Captain Beefheart: The Biography
19968
John Winston Ono Lennon, MBE, was an English singer-songwriter who rose to worldwide fame as one of the founding members of The Beatles, and together with Paul McCartney formed one of the most successful songwriting partnerships of the 20th century.

Born and raised in Liverpool, Lennon became involved in the skiffle craze as a teenager, his first band, The Quarrymen, evolving into The Beatles in 19
More about John Lennon...

“A mistake is only an error, it becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it” 31 likes