Start by marking “Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo” as Want to Read:
Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo

Wanderlust and Lipstick: The Essential Guide for Women Traveling Solo

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
This comprehensive guide for women travelers is filled with safety tips, anecdotes, resources and information on how to start planning a dream journey. The book dispels the myths that solo travel is dangerous and provides straightforward advice on making the most of your travels while having the time of your life. With up to date listings of websites and details on the lat ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Dispatch Travels

To ask other readers questions about Wanderlust and Lipstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wanderlust and Lipstick

scc101
Jul 18, 2012 scc101 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel, reviewed, 2012
WHAT I LIKED:
A lot of books list relevant websites throughout the text, but if you don't jot them down, you may have a hard time finding them. This book puts URLs in bold within the text and then lists all the websites at the end of the book.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
I've read other books about women traveling alone and this one was kinda meh overall. There were useful bits of information but nothing too shocking.

Oh, and I think the title is just silly. The lipstick part is what gets me.

Here are some
Kate
Apr 05, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Most books about women traveling on their own are collections of essays or narratives. This book is one of the very few that provides basic how-to info on everything from deciding where to go to planning and budgeting to dealing with bodily functions specific to chicks. The author provides a wealth of resources for all kinds of topics and maintains her own website as well. I already travel solo a lot and found several interesting tips and ideas.
Robs
Mar 19, 2014 Robs rated it liked it
I picked this book up for a buck at a thrift store, so it's tough to justify being hard on it. The book has some great information and encouragement for women who are looking to set out solo. However, having done more than a little research on the topic, I found this book had very little new to offer me. Most of what's contained are conclusions most of us could reach by exercising our simple common sense.

The book is also dated at this point (reasonable enough it is 7 years old), but plenty of th
Julia
Jun 11, 2010 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new travlers
I would recommend this book for women who have never traveled before, whether going solo or not. But as someone who has traveled internationally before, I didn't really learn much. I found myself skimming over the sections on passport and visas.

The anecdotes were my favorite part. That and the list of helpful websites that I will be copying down before I return it to the library.

I was just expecting there to be more wisdom for the traveler who is not new to traveling but new to the solo part.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Jul 13, 2014 Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk rated it really liked it
The basics for traveling the world alone. I think the guide is applicable to both sexes.
Rebecca Tomlinson Reed
This is a keeper for future reference when planning my next trip.
Annette
Aug 19, 2008 Annette rated it liked it
Recommended to Annette by: Quinnette Free
I'd have gotten a lot more out of this book if I hadn't already learned most of its lessons the hard way. ;)

Other reviewers are correct in that it's not a "backpackery" book - but that's cool, 'cause there are plenty of those.

I'd recommend this book super-duper highly to any lady making her first trip abroad, nevermind alone, and it wouldn't do any girl wrong to skim for material and resources that she may not yet be privvy to.
Alissa Thorne
Broad, shallow advice for first time international travelers, covering special considerations for women traveling alone. Perfect if it's your first time venturing abroad and you want to make sure you've got all the major bases covered; most likely terribly boring for anyone else. In fact, it's bound to be boring in parts to just about everyone. Expect to skim large chunks that touch on material you are already familiar with.
Ima
May 30, 2012 Ima rated it liked it
Whitman has some good, commonsense advise for women who plan on traveling alone. The tone is conversational rather than dry so it was fun to read. I loved the personal stories from her and other female travelers that are sprinkled throughout the book. Overall, this is a great resource for any girl who is planning a trip.
Wren
Jul 30, 2008 Wren rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
Really basic information and most advice is pretty common sense. Isn't really geared toward the backpacker-type woman traveler. The best parts were the stories from solo women travelers, which were helpful in giving some safety tips.
lindsay
May 24, 2009 lindsay rated it did not like it
If you need to read this book to tell you how to travel solo, then you don't have enough common sense to travel solo and you should probably stay in the house with the windows shut to avoid accidentally hurting yourself.
Alisha
Jun 26, 2015 Alisha rated it it was ok
Filled with useful, practical advice, but caters to the older crowd. Some information in this book is just not helpful if your under 40. However, if your older and adventurous, this book is a good place to start.
Michelle
Jul 14, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any woman who is thinking about traveling alone.
This is a very handy guide for any woman who is thinking of traveling on her own. The author lists lots of great websites and just about every aspect of traveling is addressed with good advice.
Wendy
Dec 15, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
The book has lots of tips pertinent to travelers. It also has an extensive list of websites that are worth checking out. A great book for the beginning traveler especially internationally.
Pam
Sep 11, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women traveling solo
Lots of fun tips and tricks, interspersed with personal accounts of travel victories. Some of it is basic knowledge, but lots of great websites and innovative ways to save money.
Kimma
May 16, 2013 Kimma rated it it was ok
Mostly common sense, but well organized content good for women who have never traveled alone internationally and are considering stretching beyond their comfort zone.
Sonia
Feb 24, 2009 Sonia rated it liked it
As someone who has done quite a bit of solo travel, I have read a few books on the subject and this one, while helpful, was not my favorite. So, there you go.
Carissa
ehh...

Good book, but definitely something to get from the library. A light read, didn't really learn too much. But not a bad book.
Kat
Sep 11, 2008 Kat rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
The title is terrible, but it had some useful information. Also, reading travel books gets me really excited about good things to come.
Yuki kojima
Jun 25, 2009 Yuki kojima rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, fem
Gives solid advice with excitement that makes you excited about getting out there on your own. Well written :)
Jessica
Aug 01, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Didn't include anything new to me--best audience would be women who haven't done a lot of traveling before.
Tamara
Mar 14, 2009 Tamara rated it liked it
Very good advice and lists some great websites that were very helpful in planning.
Michelle
Jun 19, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
This book includes a lot of common sense, some good links and lots of inspiration.
Aynsley Anderson
Jul 29, 2011 Aynsley Anderson rated it liked it
Pretty weak. VERY basic, quite boring. Disappointing.
Bernadette
Jul 17, 2009 Bernadette rated it liked it
Good, basic guidelines on traveling solo as a woman.
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Kaitlyn Grant
Kaitlyn Grant marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Lori Dick
Lori Dick rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
  • Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo
  • Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone
  • Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei
  • Ancient Angkor
  • Thailand (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Cambodia
  • Going Alone: Women's Adventures in the Wild
  • A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler
  • Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for Women Who Are Changing the World
  • Whose Panties Are These?: More Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • 100 Places Every Woman Should Go
  • Gary Vaynerchuk's 101 Wines: Guaranteed to Inspire, Delight, and Bring Thunder to Your World
  • By the Seat of My Pants: Humorous Tales of Travel and Misadventure
  • Wild Writing Women: Stories of World Travel
  • The Smart Traveler's Passport
  • 101 Places Not to See Before You Die
  • Work Your Way Around the World
Beth Whitman is a self-described travel addict and has been a solo traveler for 20 years. After backpacking through eight of the Pacific Rim countries for a year in 1992, she recognized that other women were looking for guidance and inspiration so that they, too, could plan and carry out their own dream journeys. Thus was born her workshops and, more recently, her book, Wanderlust and Lipstick: Th ...more
More about Beth Whitman...

“In his book Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi refers to flow as the time when you become lost in your actions, whether climbing a mountain peak, painting or playing soccer.” 0 likes