Start by marking “Risk Assessment (Torchwood, #13)” as Want to Read:
Risk Assessment (Torchwood, #13)

Risk Assessment (Torchwood #13)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  39 reviews
'Are you trying to tell me, Captain Harkness, that the entire staff of Torchwood Cardiff now consists of yourself, a woman in trousers and a tea boy?'

Agnes Havisham is awake, and Jack is worried (and not a little afraid). The Torchwood Assessor is roused from her deep sleep in only the worst of times - it's happened just four times in the last 100 years. Can the situation
Published January 6th 2010 by BBC Books (first published October 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Risk Assessment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risk Assessment

Morgan
Rebecca Honeycutt
About average quality for a Torchwood book, though unusually light and funny. Also...FOUR uses of the word "bonhomie" in one short novel? Really, Mr. Goss?
Nicholas Whyte

As usual, I very much enjoyed this Torchwood novel by James Goss. Unusually, it has a very strong comedic element, not something that Torchwood always managed successfully and not something I'd seen Goss try at all. The beautiful concept is that Agnes Havisham, a stern and sarcastic Victorian lady, emerges from decades of suspended animation to do an official assessment of Torchwood, at the same moment as two separate alien threats emerge to torment the in
I. S.
I have a kind of love/hate relationship with this book - I liked the nearly steampunk character of Agnes, but at the same time the author's attempt at a tongue-in-cheek riff on the Victorian style resulted in some wildly out of character moments for Jack and Ianto (and to a minor extent, Gwen & Rhys.) I'll agree with another of the reviews I read - glorified fanfic is about the extent of it.

[Spoiler/speculation: I think I would have liked it better if the story as written took up only about
Heidi
The story was very interesting - I couldn't predict any of it and it kept throwing me curve balls, which I really appreciate. The writing style is a bit weird, and parts of the book almost read like a script because the author goes into a bit too much detail by explaining mundane actions. Not that I'm complaining - I thought that was interesting.

This was the first Torchwood book I read, and I enjoyed it very much. The author captured the three main characters' personalities very well, although R
Courtney
Sep 03, 2014 Courtney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jordan and Digby and Jess
angela
I love the Torchwood sereis of books, and this was one of the better ones. Throw a victorian lady, and a giant petrol like blob alongside the team of Torchwood and craziness insues.

This is what Torchwood should and used to be.
Cmfish

My favorite of the series. The story is actually fun, but more than that, the writing is good and funny. The latter is missing in most of the rest of the novels.
Mara Ness
My favourite of all of the Torchwood books. It reminds me of the first two series of Torchwood, when Torchwood was still fun.
Lianne Burwell
A few weeks after the end of Miracle Day, I was going through some Torchwood withdrawal, so I picked this book up from the library.

Everything has been quiet in Cardiff, other than alien coffins popping up off-shore. Of course, this means trouble, this time in the form of Agnes Haversham (an assumed name, of course). She is the Torchwood assessor, who is woken from cryo-sleep only when something disastrous is about to happen. And, of course, she may not be all that she appears to be.

What she appe
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1964473.html[return][return][return]As usual, I very much enjoyed this Torchwood novel by James Goss. Unusually, it has a very strong comedic element, not something that Torchwood always managed successfully and not something I'd seen Goss try at all. The beautiful concept is that Agnes Havisham, a stern and sarcastic Victorian lady, emerges from decades of suspended animation to do an official assessment of Torchwood, at the same moment as two separate alien threat ...more
Marie
Aug 11, 2013 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: tv
I started reading this book on the train. Surrounded by very serious-looking business people. And it made me laugh so hard that the fact that I didn't fall off my seat makes me feel pretty good about myself.
If you wish to appear sane, don't read this in public.

The story was fast-paced enough to read it in one go: There's a crisis in Cardiff and the Torchwood Assessor awakes to take charge. Aliens visit the city, Planet Earth is in danger; business as usual. But the best of the book is the writi
Dorie
An interesting and fun tie-in book to the Dr. Who spin-off series 'Torchwood'. This one sticks so close to the established characters that I could virtually see everything taking place in my mind. I loved the idea of an Assessor to Torchwood, especially the proper and unflappable Agnes Haversham. The character reminded me a lot of Alexia Tarabotti from Soulless. Seeing Captain Jack at a loss was alone worth the price of the book. I wasn't crazy about the enemy in this particular story (a giant b ...more
Andy Nieradko
This is a really cool series of books. Great writers, hardbound books with incredible artwork. Well, ok, the art on this one had me wondering a little. But, this was, so far, one of my favorites. Obviously, these books are geared to a small genre of fans. Fans who would read them even if they were bad. However, they are expertly written. In this one, James Goss takes on a complicated, but easily understood narrative that has a sense of timing like you'll find in really good jazz. This story does ...more
Eri
I'm going to be bit kind.

Most of the book I've been eagerly hatin on Agnes, for reason! Last chapters prove it.

Jack was brilliant, Ianto was much more than tea boy despite being pushed into the post more often than I was comfortable with and Gwen/Rhys got their very nice moments saving the world separately.

Bonus points go to: Cheese and Jane Austen with rocket launcher scene, drunk Ianto, Rhys helping Jack out. Bloody Torchwood.
Tim Dunn
Not the greatest of the Torchwood books, but still decent enough. I'm guessing there's only one or two more and then perhaps some sort of hiatus for a while as they decide what to do with the tv show bearing it's name. Worth a read, but the Agnes character is somewhat hollow with little depth.
Daniel Kukwa
Not quite as sublime as James Goss' previous masterpiece...but oh so close. There are some fascinating flashbacks into the past -- including a fascinating glimpse of a near-death Queen Victoria. However, the ending doesn't quite live up to the rest of the novel's magnificence.
Bri
I couldn't really get into the plot of this one. I enjoyed some of the banter between the characters...but the story itself didn't do a thing for me. Which is probably why it took me almost 8 months to finish reading...
This was actually quite good. It was an interesting and exhilerating plot with a very intriguing character. All the Ianto bits made me simultaneously go wibbly from the cute and heartbroken from the sad.
David Monroe
Set a year after the events of "Exit Wounds" but a few months before Children of Earth. Martha is mentioned but absent from Torchwood because she's "gone freelance" and is preparing for her marriage.
Jo Myers
I'm a bit confused by the ending.
There were plenty of plot twists which I liked because it kept things interesting. Lots of funny moments too. I quite liked Agnes, she was very interesting.
Maria
Really really enjoyable. Good writing, always keeping you guessing, and a brilliant end!! One of the few Torchwood books I would willingly read again!
Pinikir
What a great fun read, I love the idea that Torchwood has an assessor. I loved that Ianto got drunk and well yeah I will be reading it agaisn
Zuzana
Only Gwen acts like herself. Both Jack and Ianto are totally out of character. Also, the flashbacks really didn't work for me. Dissapointing.
Jaq
Best Torchwood novel - loved Agnes as a character, and also the interactions with Gwen, Jack and Ianto. Loved Rhys coming to the rescue too....
ani
Jutta
i liked this one better than the last. i seem to prefer the ones with just gwen, ianto, and jack.

read: jan 30 2015
Andrew
Pretty good but kind of Torchwood meets the Blob...quick and fun read mind you and a interesting green subtext.
Emily
Agnes was awesome, and also scary. I wonder if Goss intends to pick her up in another novel or something.
Paola Valera
James Goss really has his moments. This one turned partly timey-wimey as well.
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • The Undertaker's Gift (Torchwood, #14)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Torchwood: Hidden
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Exodus Code (Torchwood, #19)
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop
James Goss has written two Torchwood novels and a radio play, as well as a Being Human book. His Doctor Who audiobook Dead Air won Best Audiobook 2010. James also spent seven years working on the BBC's official Doctor Who website and co-wrote the website for Torchwood Series One. In 2007, he won the Best Adaptation category in the annual LA Weekly Theatre Awards for his version of Douglas Adams' n ...more
More about James Goss...

Torchwood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Another Life (Torchwood, #1)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
Doctor Who: Summer Falls Doctor Who: Dead Air Doctor Who: Dead of Winter Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9) Doctor Who: The Blood Cell (New Series Adventures, #54)