Start by marking “Hittite Warrior” as Want to Read:
Hittite Warrior

Hittite Warrior

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,629 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Judea has always been the crossroads and battlefield of contending nations. It is no less so in this biblical time of Barak and Deborah. Uriah Tarhund s Hititte home is destroyed by invading Greeks. His dying father tells him to go south to seek a Canaanite named Sisera. He will help you. For my sake. . . . Uriah is plunged into the tumult of an uneasy Judea. When he saves ...more
Published May 2nd 2005 by Bethlehem Books (first published January 1st 1960)

Highlands
This story gives a first-person fictional account of life in the times of the Judge Deborah. A young Hittite is forced from his homeland and in the process experiences great trial, change, and eventual reward. This story includes egyptians, babylonians, Greeks, Hebrews, and a realistic looks at worship of the various gods of this time period. Highly recommended for its historical value and engaging storytelling.
Stuart
May 14, 2014 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Hittite Warrior tells the story of a teenage Hittite boy named Uriah-Tarhund. He came from a people who ruled the "northern world" and the Egyptians ruled the "southern world." His father was a lord and kinsman of the chief province of Arzawa. One fateful day, in the 13th year of the reign of the king, his father and he embarked to Hattusas to pay tribute. Little did he know that trip would end so tragically. While on his journey, his mother and sister were killed. His entire province was decima ...more
Ty Zeiter
Oct 01, 2014 Ty Zeiter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book back in middle school. I was young, and annoyed that I had to read a historical fiction book instead of a fantasy, and on top of that I had to write a report on it! Nah, just kidding, I liked writing reports. But that's not the point. This book is well written and really reaches out to that 9 - 13 years-old audience. It's history about a culture we don't know much about with a bible story thrown into the background. The story of Deborah. I had heard about this bible story ...more
Stephanie
Aug 19, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit, 2014
Read aloud to a 2nd and 5th grader. Uriah-Tarhund is a young man of a rich Hittite family when the Philistines invade his land and strip his world of everything he's known. He promises his dying father to travel south to Canaan to visit a man named Sisera. So begins this rich book that brings to life a section of Judges. The story takes Uriah to many historically important places in the ancient world, and illustrates well how ancient cultures clashed again and again over history. Main characters ...more
Sean
Feb 11, 2009 Sean rated it did not like it
This has got to be one of the worst books ever written. The entire way through, it seemed as if the author was TRYING to confuse the reader, and she did an excellent job at it. Nothing about it was well done...
Jlnpeacock
I read this with my grandson when he was in the third grade. It was on the extra reading list and had been recommended for his class level. The story was difficult to read because of the style. The author did a splendid job in portraying the pagan cultures as she unfolded the Biblical story of Deborah and Barak in the defeat of Sisera. I was disappointed that more time and explanation were not given to the conversion of the Hittite warrior to the Jewish faith. In one chapter he is transformed fr ...more
Jeneca
Dec 11, 2015 Jeneca rated it really liked it
Alright, so I change my mind. I can see that it's not 'poorly written' it's written in a manner that Uriah is looking back on his life. Having finished it, I can appreciate that.
This was an incredibly interesting story, full of twists and turns and struggles and decently not your usual historical fiction. Joanne wove so many different cultures and aspects and historical facts, it creates a vivid image and feel of what it was like to live in that time. I especially appreciate the look at what re
David Schroeder
May 18, 2013 David Schroeder rated it did not like it
Terrible. Just terrible.
J. Else
Aug 27, 2012 J. Else rated it liked it
This book was originally published in 1960 -- so I went easy on the historical inaccuracy regarding ancient Egypt.

Overall, it was a good read. Very interesting perspective that I have not found before. This is about a man who find his homeland invaded and later fights on the losing side of a battle against the Hebrews. It was also a time of decline for Egypt where they were no longer considered a superpower. So I enjoyed this unique side of things.

The character development was a little stunted.
Reuben H.
Sep 17, 2013 Reuben H. rated it really liked it
In my years as a homeschooler, I had to read a lot of literature. I still do in high school, but it's very different. One book that I read in my middle school years was Hittite Warrior by Joanne Williamson. It's historical fiction from the time of the Bible's book of Judges. I loved it when I first read it, and I was excited to pick it up again when it was assigned in high school.

The story focuses on Uriah, a Hittite who has found himself homeless and without family due to his homeland, Great Ha
Shauna
Apr 13, 2009 Shauna rated it liked it
3-4 stars . . . it is historical fiction, and pretty good historical fiction. But, I don't love historical fiction. My children really liked it. I like that we skim over our history textbook and have pretty much covered it all painlessly in a novel. (It does take longer to read the novel then a chapter from a textbook, but we look forward to the novel, rather than balking at a textbook.) Malachi really liked the book, and that is saying something. Maybe a little more appealing to boys. We read J ...more
James
Jun 26, 2014 James rated it really liked it
It was good but there was not a lot of detail about Uriah who was the main character. It talked much more about the other characters and I wanted to know more about him. I liked the theme of the story - how the Jews wanted to take back their land and how the Jews had their one special God who helped them. The other nations - the Egyptians and the Hittites had other gods that were not as powerful.
Julie
Mar 03, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
This is an interesting story. It was on my daughter's homeschool reading list and since I enjoy historical/Biblical fiction and the fact that we read The God King by the same author, I decided to read it also. It gave insight into a period of time and a place I really had never looked at. The story was well written and kept me reading!
Mathias Seiwert
Mar 18, 2015 Mathias Seiwert rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book that I read out-loud to my ten year old daughter J. Started slowly, but built up momentum and interest. Superbly highlighted life in the Middle East in the 13th century B.C. Provided fascinating background/historical information to Bible accounts in the book of Judges.
Jan 18, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my two older children (ages 10 and 9), as it correlated to the time period of history we were studying. My children loved it. "The Hittite Warrior" provided us with information on what life looked like in 1200 BC. It is a gripping story that kept us entertained and engaged from beginning to end.
Manning
Feb 25, 2013 Manning rated it liked it
Uriah was a Hitite and his city was taken over by the Philistines. His family has been killed and he promised his dad to find one of his friends, named Sisera living in Harosheth. Along the way, he meets some travelers and they become friends. He meets a boy a little older than himself named Jotham. But then he finds out that their nephew has to be sacrificed to their God named Moloch. So, he and Jotham escape into the mountains and meet a Jewish tribe who take them in. But, after overhearing a ...more
Megan Franks
This book is great for understanding the various people groups of the ancient world--particularly in Palestine--and how they interacted. I thoroughly enjoyed the primary storyline (Uriah's quest to keep his father's deathbed plea, meeting a variety of people along the way including the Hebrew people and rescuing a child from becoming a sacrifice to the pagan god, Moloch), but the battle between the Hebrews and Sisera & the escape from Tyre were a little tedious.

Overall, I would give it 4 sta
Denise
Sep 23, 2014 Denise rated it it was ok
It was an okay read. Didn't really catch my interest but was easy to read.
Mary Ann
Aug 24, 2009 Mary Ann rated it liked it
This is the next book in my daughter's reading list. Still trying to stay ahead of her.

I'm over half way through and it's definitely holding my attention.

8/24/09 I finished this one. I really liked it. It was an interesting story and an enjoyable way to make Biblical times seem more real.

If you really want to understand it I recommend keeping a list of the characters, their tribes, and where they come from. I read the book very superficially for the story. I don't have all the historical detail
Maritha Burmeister
Aug 20, 2014 Maritha Burmeister rated it really liked it
Well done.
Jeri Hawkins
Jan 31, 2014 Jeri Hawkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: preteens-teens
I really enjoyed this story and I love historical fiction.
Shakif
Dec 01, 2008 Shakif rated it liked it
This book is about a boy who's father was killed and his land was taken over by another land. Before his father died he told him to go see this man because the man was a friend of his father and would help him survive. So he travles far and wide in search of the man. He makes manny friends along the way. After he finds the man the man askes the boy to fight a war with him agints the Palistine. They end up losing the war. Which creates alot of trouble. So he runs away with his friend to survive.
Robert Martinez
Sep 24, 2007 Robert Martinez rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers that like historical fiction.
It is a fun little story. It depicts the fall of one of the greats civilizations of its time know to man. The time line is hard to trace, but it does seem, now that we have more info pertaining to the Hittites that some time warping is involved for this story to work. So without giving away any of the story...read it for yourself or to a younger sibling...Just do not be surprised if you find yourself reading it by after your younger sibling has gone to bed.

Robert L.D.
CLR
Olivia
Jan 19, 2014 Olivia rated it liked it
Good book for Middle Age Readers,includes some good history references. I learned a lot when I read this a couple of years ago.
Dawn
May 11, 2011 Dawn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dawn by: Sonlight Curriculum
My son and I hated to see this one end. Not only was it good historical fiction, it was biblical fiction as well. I loved it when we read the part where a woman drives a tent spike into Sisera's head while he's sleeping to kill him and Noah said, "Hey - that's in the Bible!". :) He also kept insisting there must be a sequel coming. I told him it was written in 1960 LOL.
Faith
Dec 01, 2009 Faith rated it really liked it
I found this book fascinating in the way it ties together many events in Ancient history. I have been wondering what my 14 year old could write about in his study of Ancient history. I think this book will make a great paper topic. I'm going to ask him to go through and explain all the references to the many different ancient tribes, people, events, etc.
Emily
Aug 24, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
This was a preread for dd. It caught my interest because it's historical fiction based on one of my favorite bible stories--Deborah and Barak and Jael killing Sisera with a tent peg. Of course, the part with Sisera being killed was only a minor part of the story. It kind of reminded me of "The Bronze Bow" in the overall plot.
Ysa
Aug 01, 2013 Ysa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was historical fiction. With so much about the Bible account of -- this point in history. And it was amazing! I stayed up late reading it, and felt so satisfied and happy at the end of the book. :o ) I'm having trouble not putting spoilers in this review, so I'll stop now and finish this review when I'm not as excited. ;o )
Deanne Smith
Jan 30, 2013 Deanne Smith rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this aloud with my kids. It is one of the best books we have ever read together! The author uses alliteration, foreshadowing, and cliffhangers to draw the reader into the ancient world. Although we read this book because we are studying ancient history, any family would enjoy this book!
Lisa
Jun 17, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Curriculum
Biblical historical fiction set in the time of the Judges when Deborah leads the Hebrews into battle against the Canaanites. I thought this story was lacking in historical details -- wasn't rich enough to engage me. But it could help to anchor this historical event in a child's mind.
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Mystery of the Roman Ransom
  • The Trojan War
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • Augustine Came to Kent
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • Luther: Biography of a Reformer
  • The Silver Branch
  • Madeleine Takes Command
  • Shadow Hawk (Vintage Ace, 75991)
  • In Search of Honor
Joanne S. Williamson was born on May 13th, 1926, in Arlington, Massachusetts. Though she had interests in both writing and music, and attended Barnard College and Diller Quaile School of Music, it was writing that became the primary focus for her career after college. She was a feature writer for Connecticut newspapers until 1965, when she moved to Kennebunkport, Maine, and began to write historic ...more
More about Joanne Williamson...