Start by marking “Mortalha para uma enfermeira” as Want to Read:
Mortalha para uma enfermeira
Preview

Mortalha para uma enfermeira (Adam Dalgliesh #4)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  15,826 ratings  ·  247 reviews
The young women of Nightingale House are there to learn to nurse and comfort the suffering. But when one of the students plays patient in a demonstration of nursing skills, she is horribly, brutally killed. Another student dies equally mysteriously, and it is up to Adam Dalgliesh of Scotland Yard to unmask a killer who has decided to prescribe murder as the cure for all il ...more
Published 1971 by Europa-América

To ask other readers questions about Mortalha para uma enfermeira, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortalha para uma enfermeira

Rachel
I had heard of P.D. James before but had never read any of her works, and I didn't really know she wrote mysteries. So I was quite pleasantly surprised by Shroud for a Nightingale--so much so that I've since read another James and am onto a third.

Shroud is a great caper, written in the 70s. I think it's aged extremely well; in fact, I think the whole plot and setting is made all the more creepy and ominous by the somewhat antiquated medical procedures that figure prominently in the plot. I defy
Erin
My grandmother left this for my mother to read, and bored, I started it waiting for her in the car. Boredom, too, is the only reason I can give for my finishing it -- I was mesmerized by how entirely uninteresting it was, both the story and the literary style.

I don't read mysteries, and essentially all of my related presumptions are based on Cluedo and The Westing Game, but even compared to those, Shroud for a Nightingale is kind of a dud. So two student nurses are killed, the Scotland Yard is c
Lobstergirl
Jan 20, 2010 Lobstergirl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leon Panetta
Student nurses are dropping dead at the Nightingale nurse training school. Does someone there harbor a secret past? (Hint: yes.) Published in 1971, this is James's fourth novel, and of these, her most robust and satisfying. It feels miles away from her earlier, Christie-esque stylings. You wouldn't find a passage like this in any of her first three, for example:

She had given him a depressing glimpse into the stultifying lack of privacy, and of the small pettiness and subterfuges with which peopl
Abbey
1971, #4 Supt. Adam Dalgleish, Scotland Yard, Nightingale House, just outside London. Nursing students living in a creepy old hospital building find murder and lots of intrigue; erudite, old-fashioned closed-community/manor house style mystery but with interesting modern (~1970) twists and a bit of then-relevant British history; classic cosy police procedural.

Nursing "sisters" are an alien breed to most US folks, but if you've read or watched a lot of British-set mysteries you'll have a bit of u
trishtrash
A nursing school inspection ends horribly with the death of a student during a demonstration of intra-gastric feeding tubes. This gruesome beginning is compounded with a second student death, and the local police are exchanged for the Yard’s Inspector Adam Dalgliesh whose implacable determination to get at the truth is welcomed by the nursing staff with varying degrees of coolness.

I’m not sure where in the series this one falls, but this Dalgliesh novel was just a bit too staid and dated to hold
Spuddie
#4 Adam Dalgliesh British mystery, in which the Scotland Yard detective and his team are off to a nursing school to investigate the untimely death of two nursing students--both dead by poison of different types a couple of weeks apart. One was administered during a demonstration of gastric feeding during an inspection by the General Nursing Council, when Nurse Pearce, playing the role of the patient has her stomach dissolved by a caustic substance added to the milk feed. The second death of Nurs ...more
Richard
Good, verging on very good, although a bit too mannered and slow. Very deep psychological portrayals of the characters provide the big win. The plot was nicely convoluted, although the denouement wasn't much of a surprise.

This was among the books listed on an ancient "all-time bests" newspaper clipping I found in my files. I think anyone who is a fan of mysteries should probably have already read it, right?
Rania
Well, it was a good book i read it with excitement and it kept my interest till the end. It was nicely written not tiring or boring at all. Also a thing that i really liked is the way the writer described the different personalities without being subjective and the fact that all these different personalities were interacting with each other throughout the book with all king of intresting behaviors that you do not usually find in most books.

i would also like to point out that Mrs P.D. James was 9
Keith Davis
I believe it was Red Skelton who said that to be a writer you have to be a close observer of human nature, but not so close that you start to hate everyone. P.D. James seems to frequently drift across the line into hating everybody. The men in James' world tend to be pompous, self-absorbed, preening narcissists, but they are almost nice compared to the women. The women are often petty, manipulative, mean-spirited and deliberately cruel.

Shroud for a Nightingale is about a series of murders at a
Daniel
A short take:

This is the reading experience I want from a Dalgliesh story! The crime is simple, while its resolution is buried beneath layers of personal histories intertwined by the inchoate intermingling of chance and human intent. Dalgliesh works his way through the suspect pool and the story slowly, deliberately comes into focus. "Shroud" is a great mystery read.

More thoughts:

Again, James sticks to a rural location, here pinning events to a nursing school that lends a nice creep factor to t
Lesismore
Actually, I'd give this a 3 1/2. I enjoyed reading my 1st P.D. James mystery novel, but also found it a little slow and not overly exciting. I thought the base of the story was interesting, I like Detective Adam Dalgleish and even more, I like how the story weaves characters lives together, and that every action has a counter action. I'll take this 1970's mystery novel over the unbelievable, gruesome and violent thrillers that are out now any ol' time.

Favorite Quote:

"You're not a thief. You st
Valerie
Phyllis Dorothy James, Baroness James of Holland Park, OBE, FRSA, FRSL, known as P. D. James, is an English crime writer and a life peer in the House of Lords. She was born in August 1920.

This is a book my mother gave me many years ago. I probably read it then, but had forgotten the story, so when I cam across it, I read it again.

Nightingale House is where a group of third year student nurses live while they learn the art of nursing. There is a routine inspection of the nursing school by the Gen
Cheryl
The scene is a claustophobic Victorian home where a horrific murder took place more than one hundred years ago. It is now living quarters for a half-dozen nursing students cloistered in the old mansion since the start of their training three years ago. They are supervised by Matron Taylor and several teaching Sisters, an egotistical surgeon, and a pharmacist. All of the suspects are on the first page of this exquisitely plotted mystery.

In the provincial hospital where you can smell the disinfect
Tombom P
At several points the main character is discussing the case with his assistant and, despite the fact they've already talked about the evidence and what they think and he's the current viewpoint character and we follow both of them through everything important they do, their important deductions are covered up with sudden reported speech, like "he said what had happened, his assistant said yes that's obvious". Like are you *kidding* me how lazy can you get

The book is OK enough but the denouement
Fran
James has raised the stakes in the 4th Dalgliesh mystery, with murders more frequent and more brutal than in the previous books. As in the first three novels, the case hinges on information the reader simply cannot surmise from the clues in the book. In fact, there are probably enough clues here to figure this one out, at least in terms of motive, if not the identity of the murderer. But as I work my way through the Dalgleish mysteries, I'm finding that I don't make a huge effort to solve the ca ...more
Katherine Clark
I am rereading P. D. James' Dalgliesh series and am a bit disappointed with it. Apparently, nostalgia had made the series appear much better than I remembered. Oh well. In the midst of reading my second Colin Dexter novel, I realized that I found it boring, so when I received Shroud of the Nightingale in the mail, I eagerly read it, only to discover that while I thought I had read all of the Dalgliesh series, I had actually missed this one. I give this book 3 stars because of the first half of t ...more
Nancy
As usual, James has written a carefully plotted, logical, interesting story. This one takes place in a teaching hospital outside of London where 2 nursing students die by poison (2 different ones). Dalgliesh is a thorough investigator but there is none of the "yell or snarl at the suspects" that one might see on an American cop show. All of the characters were real for me and the end was satisfying.
Mariana
2 stars

You were such a little boring piece of a novel that I couldn't find the strength to finish you. #sorrynotsorry

I'll see you in hell, weird-looking, dough-faced and weary-eyed nurses who are completely unable to say a single interesting thing.

Thank you so much for making me lose my precious time with you.

Please do not reply.

Sincerely,
Moi
toft
I was reading this, and it was all about par for the course for PD James - you know, unpleasant people, beautiful writing, OTT foreshadowings of horror to come, rather odd emphasis on period architecture - when suddenly it was all UNEXPECTED DANCE COMPETITION SURPRISE NAZIS. I would never have thought that any author could make the revelation of surprise Nazis during a tense and angry tango incredibly depressing, but PD James managed it. Well done.
Alex Watkins
Jul 29, 2009 Alex Watkins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who don't work at mid-century hospitals
Shelves: mystery, 2009
This was really good, I had never read one of the many Adam Dalgliesh mysteries, only P.D. James' miscellaneous books Children of Men and An Unsuitable Job for a Woman (which does have Dalgliesh come in later). It was not my stereotype of a mystery novel, which I'm not really sure what I have in mind, but is something that I feel like I wouldn't like. The book is very cerebral, setting up timelines and alibis, so much so that it was a bit hard to keep track. I loved the end though, very exciting ...more
Michael A
I commented last time how PD James, even though she seemed to "get" the puzzle mechanics of this kind of mystery writing and could show us how superficial the genre is through self-reference, needed to find a style of her own to make any kind of mark. The problem is that Christie blazed so much ground that writers have to deal with her legacy in this particular style of mystery. Back then, it was enough to have a stimulating guessing game with the author. But in this day and age, how do you keep ...more
pinknantucket
Didn't really grab me, I'm afraid, and I thought about not finishing it. Not sure I found Chief Superintendent Adam Dagliesh sufficiently interesting or compelling as a character to persist with - though it *was* interesting that he and his second-in-charge don't like each other much (not the typical mould for such books).

Set in a nurses' training school, there was a lot of observation of how typically feminine (or not) the various nurses were, and the masculine characteristics of various male
Stven
Dec 06, 2009 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Recommended to Stven by: BBC-TV
In the fourth Adam Dalgliesh novel, P.D. James adopts a mood bordering on the gothic. The atmosphere is laden with fear, there are dark forces at work in the winds and the trees, and the house is one of mystery with the occasional single illuminated window. It's effusive for a murder mystery with a police detective, but she pulls it off convincingly. This is another fine book in the series, and of course it's the one set a the nurses' training hospital.
KarenF
It's been a while since I read a PD James book. I forgot how satisfying a mystery they are. Sex & secrets abound in an incestuous small nursing school. There was a lot of talk about there being no secrets or privacy in a small dormitory like setting. And certainly everyone has secrets, both small and larger that are revealed throughout the investigation. But it's the biggest secret, the one worth killing for, that doesn't come out until the end.
Alger
Not the best of James, not even the best of her Dalgliesh stories, but a solid mystery in the classic vein. The surprise is how James pulled off a very traditional plot line with remarkably few tricks in an environment and with a cast that is believably inhabiting 1970. For comparison, look at Agatha Christie from this same period. All of her characters continue to inhabit a 1930s world, or are decrepit oldsters confused by the kids and their crazy sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Elsewhere in the ...more
Rose
An OK mystery, very reminiscent of the 1970s: the marriage bar, nurses in bizarre head-dresses, and people turning up an hour early for hospital appointments to drink free tea and chat (I'm not convinced that one ever actually happened...)
Martha
This book was published only in 1971, yet it feels like historical mystery in many respects, so much so that in another 20 years this book may need to be annotated to be understandable.

Why must a nurse be single to work? Which quality is more important for a nurse: obedience or intelligence? Why is it ok for a doctor (always male) to be such a jerk - for him to have open affairs is a sign of his prowess, whereas a nurse (always female) must remain chaste.

And the technical differences of nurses
Saloni Sharma
Murders and intrigue, complex affairs, anti-semitism and homophobia, this one has it all. Vintage James.
Amanda Brenchley
What a bunch of misery-guts grumps the readers on this site seem to be! This was one of the first non-Christie mysteries I ever read, just after The Black Tower, also by P. D. James, which I also found very rewarding. The book is wonderfully atmospheric, and though I might have written parts of it slightly differently, it is an accomplished and highly satisfying mystery and a record of a cultural time and setting now largely lost. Well done, Baroness James! I have just bought it on Kindle to re- ...more
Kathryn Roach
P.D.James is one of my favorite mystery writers! This is a great read with a twist at the end.
  • The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #3)
  • The Old Fox Deceiv'd (Richard Jury, #2)
  • Well-Schooled in Murder (Inspector Lynley, #3)
  • Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn, #10)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)
  • Miss Pym Disposes
Official Facebook fan page

P. D. (Phyllis Dorothy) James was the author of twenty books, most of which have been filmed and broadcast on television in the United States and other countries. She spent thirty years in various departments of the British Civil Service, including the Police and Criminal Law Department of Great Britain's Home Office. She served as a magistrate and as a governor of the BB
More about P.D. James...

Adam Dalgliesh (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh, #1)
  • A Mind to Murder (Adam Dalgliesh, #2)
  • Unnatural Causes (Adam Dalgliesh, #3)
  • The Black Tower (Adam Dalgliesh, #5)
  • Death of an Expert Witness (Adam Dalgliesh, #6)
  • A Taste for Death (Adam Dalgliesh, #7)
  • Devices and Desires (Adam Dalgliesh, #8)
  • Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh, #9)
  • A Certain Justice (Adam Dalgliesh, #10)
  • Death in Holy Orders (Adam Dalgliesh, #11)
Death Comes to Pemberley The Children of Men Cover Her Face (Adam Dalgliesh, #1) The Private Patient (Adam Dalgliesh, #14) The Black Tower (Adam Dalgliesh, #5)

“He didn't want her; he wanted me. Well, you know how it is."

Dalgliesh did know. This, after all, was the commonest, the most banal of personal tragedies. You loved someone. They didn't love you. Worse still, in defiance of their own best interests and to the destruction of your peace, they loved another. What would half the world's poets and novelists do without this universal tragicomedy?”
7 likes
“I had to make a moral decision. If you are proposing to commit a sin it is as well to commit it with intelligence. Otherwise, you are insulting God as well as defying him, don't you think?” 0 likes