The Sweeter Side of R. Crumb

The Sweeter Side of R. Crumb

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Described by art critic Robert Hughes as "the Brueghel of the 20th century," Robert Crumb has become the only sixties counter culture artist to break through into the fine art world with great acclaim. Laura Hoptman, curator of the Carnegie International said, "Crumb is one of the most subversive and important voices to come out of America in the 20th century. He's one of...more
Published September 15th 2006 by M Q Publications (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweeter Side of R. Crumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweeter Side of R. Crumb

Mark Plaid
The Sweeter Side of R. Crumb is really as sketchbook and provides little in the way of comics, for which Crumb is mostly known, and more one page illustrations. In case you didn't know, R. Crumb is the leading underground cartoonist from the first wave of underground cartoons back in the late 60s/early 70s. The best way to learn about Crumb is to check out the documentary film Crumb directed by Terry Zwigoff. It's easily available at most video stores and libraries usually carry it.

The best thin...more
HeavyReader
Nov 20, 2008 HeavyReader rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: big fans of R. Crumb
Shelves: art
There's not much of this book to read. 99% of it is made up of drawings by R. Crumb. Both the publisher and R. Crumb himself are up front that this book was conceived and produced in order to get women to buy it. I guess women are perceived to not like R. Crumb, so doing a book with his "sweeter" art was supposed to entice women to purchase it.

I picked up my copy at the public library. That's what I recommend others do to. The art in this book is nice to look at, but how many times am I really g...more
Malbadeen
The cover alone is 5 stars. The intro is funny too. I'm tired. goodnight.
Lana
After reading several of Crumb's books, reading interviews with him, and watching a documentary about him, I think there's been enough Crumb exposure for me to have an opinion of his work. I think he's extremely creative, would be very nice in person, and that his work is not meant to be offensive. But his work is inherently disturbing. A lot of his comics are peeks into his sexual fantasies, which I wouldn't care about, but it's the following of perves he has that bothers me. It makes it seem l...more
Dan
Sep 24, 2009 Dan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: R. Crumb Fans, R. Crumb Haters
I don't have much to say about this book, it is after all a picture book of R. Crumb's work. There are a few comics in it, but mainly it is collection of R. Crumb's portraits and other sketches. As the name implies, this book is mainly focused on R. Crumb's "sweeter" more sentimental work. Which is some ways is kind of frightening because some of it is still pretty out there and slightly disturbing.

Nonetheless, This book shows how truly talented R. Crumb is. His artistic talent goes far beyond h...more
Peacegal
R. Crumb wants you to know he’s more than psychedelic bearded dudes, jazz records, and oddly-proportioned women—he has a kinder, gentler side. The works in this book are not comics but rather portraits, scenery, and the like—more or less a peek inside Crumb’s sketchbook.

I enjoyed the portraits of old musicians and such most. I didn’t like the doodles starring a whiny child—I find toddler babbling maddeningly annoying even on paper. I’m also getting worn thin on Crumb’s predictable renderings of...more
David Gallin-Parisi
Sweeeeeeet. Portraits, landscapes, and parenting comics by the master of sexy awkwardness. R. Crumb's sweeter side still has the beautiful waverings among loneliness, existential moments, and sheer joy of observation. I noticed an abundance of quiet spots in here, like a night home alone, walking in a park to get away from it all, and reproductions of treasured vinyl records. This will brighten anybody's day, while tossing across shadows of everyday grotesque frustration. Recommended for adults,...more
Helen Damnation
"And so we here at MQ Publications... decided to see if we could come up with a book that would win over the ladies... and we think the experiment is a success: with this collection of drawings of much loved children, women and pet cats, lovely landscapes, quiet rooms, and honoured musicians."

Really? So, the marketing gets 0 stars, but this is a really beautiful collection of sketchbook drawings.
charlie
This book is a self-proclaimed effort to show readers, female readers in particular, the 'sweeter' side of R. Crumb and to 'win them over'. Being a huge fan of him already, I really didn't need winning over, this is just a nice piece of work to add to my growing R Crumb collection.
Cody
I have very mixed feelings about Crumb's art, thus, in an attempt to avoid launching into a digressive rant, I'll just say that I enjoyed this book, and, having now thumbed through a lot of Crumb's work, I love his portraits of erstwhile musicians the best.
Captain_Howdy
My sweet wife bought this book for me. Ain't she sweet?

I love his illustrations of old time musicians.
Tate
I love R. Crumb and this book is particularly great. I has some really... well, sweet portraits of his wife, blues musicians, and strangers. I think my favorite is the man waiting for the bus.
S
I like Robert Crumb's work anyways, but if you are easily offended then this book of drawings will familiarize you with his style without inducing political correctness-related seizures.
Cheryl
Definitely not R. Crumb's usual subject matter, but the Sweeter Side is still unmistakeably his style. A must for fans and a subtle entry point for new Crumb readers.
e
I prefer it when he is naughty.
yet...
the drawings are beautiful and the book is filled with things you do not get to see from crumb normally.
Jason
My favorites are the drawings of buildings and alleys in France. Such detail!
Mike
i prefer his darker, funkier work
Nicole Williams
Lame! But the art work is beautiful.
Megan
Great drawings of folk bands.
John
Man, Crumb can sling ink!
Oscar
Todd
Todd added it
Jul 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Robert Dennis Crumb (born August 30, 1943)— is an American artist, illustrator, and musician recognized for the distinctive style of his drawings and his critical, satirical, subversive view of the American mainstream.

Crumb was a founder of the underground comix movement and is regarded as its most prominent figure. Though one of the most celebrated of comic book artists, Crumb's entire career has...more
More about R. Crumb...
The Book of Genesis The R. Crumb Handbook Heroes of Blues, Jazz, and Country The R. Crumb Coffee Table Art Book My Troubles With Women