Start by marking “Dark Quartet: The Story of the Brontës” as Want to Read:
Dark Quartet: The Story of the Brontës

Dark Quartet: The Story of the Brontës (Bronte Biographies #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Haworth Parsonage stood on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors like a rock in a tempest.

Inside its cheerless rooms, six delicate children dreamed their wild and shining fantasies, bound together by a mutual passion for literature and for their beloved moors.

Later, when only Charlotte, Emily, Anne and Branwell remained,they were forced by poverty to emerge from the privacy Hawo
hardcover, 432 pages
Published January 1st 1976 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Dark Quartet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Quartet

K.D. Absolutely
I read this book right after reading Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre. Last year, I read and liked her younger sister Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. I liked "Jane Eyre" too but if my bookshelf had only 1 more space left for a book, I would choose "Wuthering." In my opinion, the only edge of "Jane Eyre" over "Wuthering" is its readability. But in terms of the intensity of the story, characters, plot, setting, poetic prose and the emotional impact and images they left behind in my brain, "Wuthering ...more
Tracy Elizabeth
I bought this title at a yard sale. Having never read anything written by any of the Bronte family, I hoped this would help me decide which famous novel I should read first. Well I haven't made a decision but I really enjoyed this book... in fact, I was moved to tears at the end. That never happened to me before.
Mar 29, 2009 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: non-sticklers for accuracy
Recommended to Sarah by: Louise K
Shelves: brontephilia
When I first heard about this book several years ago, I thought, "Wow, a biographical novel about the Brontës--what a cool idea!" Though I enjoyed the book very much while reading it, I'm now convinced that the idea was a terrible one.

I'm upset because the author claimed to be "harnessed to the truth" while writing this book, but several events that are presented as facts are very unlikely to be true in any form. The most egregious one for me is the assertion that Branwell Brontë experienced som
Lisbeth
As a fan of the Brontë sisters I take every opportunity to read something about their lives. It does not
matter that you already know most things, each writer always has something to add to the whole story.

This book is a biographical or historical fiction of the four Brontë siblings. I love historical fiction so looked forward reading this. However, it is difficult to write biographical fiction about such loved characters as the Brontës. All the fans have their own view on how they were and how t
Roberto
Beautiful novel concerning three of the most cherished english authors (and favourites of mine) . I loved this novel especially the years of adulthood. Reid Banks chose carefully each word in this novel and that labour of love is exquisite to the reader.
Linda
Well researched study of the constricted, introverted lives of Charlotte, Anne, and Emily Bronte, along with their brother.
Mary
A gripping and absorbing book.
A must for all Bronte lovers.
It's exciting and compelling and answers some of the mysteries of the Brontes.
To be so gifted and to live in such times and to meet an early demise.
Haworth Parsonage stood on the edge of the Yorkshire moors like a rock in a tempest.
Highly recommended.
Hope
I've read several biographies about the Brontës, but this one was the most speculative and least satisfying.
Samantha
This story of the Brontes is interesting because the lives of the Brontes would be almost impossible to make boring. However, I did not get much more from this book than what I had already inferred from reading the Brontes' novels. To say that it is not written to the Bronte standard would be an understatement. The writing style is simplistic and abrupt, not at all the eloquent, emotional writing of Anne, Charlotte or Emily. It was a quick easy read though (it took me one day) and it did put me ...more
Endeavour Press
This book is published by Endeavour Press.
Andrea
This book is a biography of the Bronte family, but it reads as a novel would, showing the Brontes as characters, in first person, rather than a narrator telling about them. It is quite factual and is a quick read. I found it helped me understand their story and characters better as a whole.
Kay
I read this while i was still at school and had just finished reading Jane Eyre. Its well written and suitable for any age in its telling of the story of the Bronte family. I'm sure I read it a few times while at school and one I will have to revisit again with a more adult eye I think.
Kay
I read this before reading any of the Bronte novels in order to have a deeper understanding of these women. This book was riveting and moving: an intimate portrait of very private passionate souls. knowing the authors so well enhances the pleasure of reading their work.
Graph
Recommended by my Grannie when I had trouble buying into Wuthering Heights. This gave insight into the unique writing styles of the Bröntes that helped me to better enter their fictional worlds knowing a little of their lives.
Edna
A bit hard to read. Very interesting facts about the Bronte' family of which I'd previously been unaware.
Deb
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the Brontes... or to get teens interested in them!
Anne
I really really loved this book - I cant wait to read the sequel nor to visit Haworth in August.
Teresa
a fabulous read, highly recommended for anyone, Bronte fan or not.
Jess
quite um... dark, but a interesting read
Megan
Story of Brontes
January 14, 1996
Carrie Anne
Carrie Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Rebecca Garratt
Rebecca Garratt marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Maryzj
Maryzj marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Hayley
Hayley added it
Jan 08, 2015
Regina Hennessy
Regina Hennessy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Ellie Steele
Ellie Steele marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
  • A Candle in Her Room
  • The Little Princesses
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • Emily's Ghost: A Novel of the Brontë Sisters
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Flower And The Nettle:: Diaries And Letters Of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1936-1939
  • On A Chinese Screen
  • Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in War and Peace 1939-1949
  • Silver Woven In My Hair
  • The Life and Times of Chaucer
  • Bargain Bride
  • A Whispered Name (Father Anselm, #3)
  • Loss of Eden: A Biography of Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Lynne Reid Banks is a British author of books for children and adults. She has written forty books, including the best-selling children's novel The Indian in the Cupboard, which has sold over 10 million copies and been made into a film.
Banks was born in London, the only child of James and Muriel Reid Banks. She was evacuated to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada during World War II but returned after
More about Lynne Reid Banks...

Bronte Biographies (2 books)
  • Path To The Silent Country
The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1) The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2) The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3) The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4) The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #5)

“Spring came late. For the children, shut in the dark, cold parsonage, adjusting to Aunt and getting over the death that brought her, the winter had seemed endless. But now the rough moor was flecked with racing cloud shadows; the maltreated holly tree had stopped weeping; the green mould on the graves had dried to an unsuggestive grey.

The church could never look cheerful. It was too black, and its voice, the bell, always said 'Fu - ner -al... fu - ner- al...' even when it was only calling them to hear one of their Papa's dramatic sermons.”
3 likes