Start by marking “Reunion in Barsaloi” as Want to Read:
Reunion in Barsaloi

Reunion in Barsaloi

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  775 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
In a sequel to her international bestseller The White Masai, Corinne Hofmann continues her personal account of a white European woman in love with a Masai tribesman in remote Kenya. Fourteen years after fleeing with her baby daughter, Corinne returned to Kenya in the summer of 2004 to reunite with Lketinga and his family in their village, Barsaloi. Nervous and uncertain as ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Arcadia Books (first published January 1st 2006)

Cutting for Stone by Abraham VergheseThere Is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay GreeneYohannes Ishi by Nabse BamatoSeason of Migration to the North by Tayeb SalihThe Snows Of Kilimanjaro And Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway
East Africa
49th out of 171 books — 51 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books of 2005
312th out of 547 books — 449 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Apr 13, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
Oddly, in most ways I think this is actually the best book of the three--especially as far as the writing goes. It really feels like Corinne is honing a craft and growing as a person.

This book doesn't have the [messy] depth of The White Masai. But as with the last book, Corinne becomes clearer to me all the time. I finished The White Masai disliking her fairly thoroughly, and I realized part way through this one that now I really do like her (as she portrays herself in books yadda yadda). Both o
Kavita
Jun 23, 2015 Kavita rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-women, africa
In Reunion in Barsaloi, Corinne Hofmann returns to Kenya to meet her ex-husband and his family after fourteen years. No longer in love with her husband, she however still holds him and his family in affection and is especially delighted to see her mother in law.

While not an emotional roller coaster or thrilling as the original book was, this book gives greater insight to the inter-relationships within the family. Kenya had moved on and had progressed in different ways to such an extent that the
George Ilsley
Sep 12, 2011 George Ilsley rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
The author is rendered even more unattractive in this rambling, unfocussed account of her return to a village in Kenya where she lived with her husband and his family. Her obliviousness seems to have no boundaries. When her ex-husband's brother explains what the family felt when she, a white stranger, arrived to live in their village, she seems for the first time to have seen things from the perspective of these African villagers. Did she not read her first book, The White Masai? It basically de ...more
Vesna Stojanova
Nov 12, 2011 Vesna Stojanova rated it it was amazing
Great book. Great life. What a courageous woman. And man in that respect.
I could feel their love rising from the beautifully written lines.
At the end I was said, mostly for her Massai husband, but also for her.
Still life is like it is and sometimes love is not enough.
Antonela
Jan 11, 2015 Antonela rated it it was amazing
Am ales în această seară să vă scriu despre al treilea volum scris de Corinne Hofmann, apărut în Editura ALFFA în anul 2008. ,,Revedere în Barsaloi”, face parte din colecţia de ,,Cărţi adevărate”, exemple de viaţă, cărţi care te remontează după ce le citeşti şi îţi schimbă modul de a gândi şi visele.

Cartea ,,Revedere în Barsaloi” descrie revederea Corinnei Hofmann cu familia africană, după 14 ani, de la plecarea în Elveţia cu fiica, Napirai, din cauza geloziei şi a comportamentului inuman de car
Sugandha
I liked this much more than 'The White Masai', mostly because this was short and sweet. No unnecessary dwelling on stupid things. I like reunions and revisiting the past, and can only imagine how the people involved would have felt to see each other again after 14 years! That's a LONG time and many things change in this time.

Previously, I'd had no desire to watch the movie, but reading this made me curious to see how the book was translated onto film. Not sure if there is a book about Napirai m
Liralen
Jul 23, 2013 Liralen rated it liked it
Then all of a sudden I realize how absurd and hypocritical my attitude is: on the one hand, I'm lost in rapture at how colourful and beautiful the traditional clothing of the young girls and warriors is and wish Samburu traditions could be preserved as long as possible, while on the other, I'd like to see those customs and rituals which offend my European sensibility changed.
-Corinne Hofmann, Reunion in Barsaloi, 87

I had mixed feelings about the first two books, but other reviewers had suggested
Alayne
Apr 30, 2015 Alayne rated it really liked it
This was much more enjoyable than The White Masai. Fourteen years have passed and the author is now a mature woman in her forties. She makes sensible decisions and can control her feelings. A good sequel with some lovely scenes with her Sambaru mother-in-law and family, as well as her ex-husband and lots of the friends she had made when living in Kenya. Recommended if you have read the first book.
Mallee Stanley
Jul 27, 2015 Mallee Stanley rated it liked it
Although this book was repetitive in parts, it's an interesting reunion between the author and her once husband, Lketinga, and his Samburu family after fourteen years. As well as learning insights into the traditional way of life of this Kenyan tribe and the changes that have occurred there is a clear understanding of the surrounding countryside in an isolated part of Kenya.
Caroline
Feb 16, 2014 Caroline rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy, but it really felt as though this was one written for the sake of writing, without anything particularly interesting or relevant to add. Disappointing. 2.5 stars.
Karolien
Feb 13, 2014 Karolien rated it really liked it
Shelves: africa
Na de Blanke Masai te hebben gelezen wilde ik zeker weten hoe het verhaal van Corinne Hoffman verder ging. Toen ik in de bibliotheek een van de vervolgboeken op de rekken zag staan kon ik dus de verleiding niet weerstaan om het te ontlenen.

In het 3de boek zoekt Corinne samen met de uitgever van haar boek en een filmploeg haar Afrikaanse familie na 14 jaar weer op.

Na haar vertrek is er in Barsaloi erg veel veranderd. De wegen zijn anders, de mensen zijn er anders gaan eten, iedereen is weer wat o
Mahlatsi Maredi
Feb 15, 2016 Mahlatsi Maredi rated it it was ok
I think as a writer one needs to know when to stop. This book was a waste of time, honestly. Corinne should have stopped after the second book or added this reunion to the second book.
Gloria
Feb 11, 2016 Gloria rated it really liked it
I was interested to see how the reunion would be between Corinne and her Kenyan family. I was so glad to read that it went well, and I thoroughly enjoyed this walk down memory lane.
Kathy
Oct 17, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the series about Swiss woman Corinne Hofmann's marriage to a Masai warrior. In the first book she met & married Lketinga and left him after having a daughter; in the 2nd book she described her readjustment to life in Switzerland and in this final book, she details her return visit to Lketinga and the Saburu people in Kenya fourteen years later. The movie THe White Masai (based on her first book) was being filmed in Kenya at the same time. I was almost as interested as ...more
Arlette Sjerp
Corinne Hoffmann makes full circle in Wiedersehen in Barsaloi (Reunion in Barsaloi), where she visits her African family again for the first time in fourteen years. She also takes a behind the scenes look at her own movie. It's a beautiful book about family, culture, memories and progression. She ends in the place where she first met Lketinga, making this an appropriate final installment of her autobiographical trilogy.

I wonder if there will ever be a fourth book describing her daughters experi
Liz Schmitz
May 11, 2016 Liz Schmitz rated it liked it
While I will always cherish being let into Corinne's life as a Masai, I found this book slightly less enthralling as the first. But if she came out with another book I would certainly read it. She always leaves me with a curiosity for what happens next in her life story.
Rebekah
Feb 16, 2008 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book...after reading her first book, The White Masai, I was just in awe that anyone could live like she did and was almost feeling like she did it just to write a book about it, etc! But after reading this book, I was impressed by the bond she felt with Mama (her ex-Sumura husband's mother) and others in the tribe. Also when she went to where the set was producing a movie on her first book, she was overwhelmed with feelings for these past experiences of hers. Very heart-war ...more
Sybele
May 22, 2015 Sybele rated it liked it
I think the author attended few classes of creative writing because I could see the improvement in her writing. Or maybe the English translation was better fit to German. I liked it.
Ruxandra Razi
Feb 14, 2015 Ruxandra Razi rated it it was amazing
Te readuce in atmosfera din Africa, in atmosfera din ' indragostita de un masai'
Linley Mckenzie
Jun 06, 2016 Linley Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Enjoy this book it was a good return to Barsaloi
Catherine
Apr 25, 2007 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Having read "White Masai," I knew the story that led up to this follow-up book. The author returns to Barsaloi after a fourteen year absence. She travels back to the village where she lived and informs her readers of how Africa has changed during that short period of time. If you're thinking of reading this book, I would recommend reading "White Masai" first because this book is definitely a sequel to that book. Corinne Hofmann's story is fascinating. No wonder they made "White Masai" into a mov ...more
Abbey
Mar 10, 2010 Abbey rated it liked it
I continue to be fascinated by this woman who found love in Africa and still feels such a great connection to her family (by marriage) there. Was glad to hear that she had share the wealth from her book proceeds to help make their life better back in Barsaloi. However, it does show how even just one person from the "outside" can set a whole village, a whole area, down a different course in life....... The transation from German to English definitely had it's weaknesses. I wished I had gotten it ...more
Mel
Dec 02, 2008 Mel rated it it was ok
Recommended to Mel by: my good friend in Cali
This was definitely the weaker book of the three. I think I enjoyed the second book; Back from Africa the best. It's the one where she actually grows up and takes action in making her life better.
However, I am surprised by her parenting "skills." It seems she truly believes in "it takes a village" to raise a child, because of the amount of time her child spends with childminders and that she allowed her child to run around at such a young age. I don't know if that's her or a European thing.
Dee-Ann
Oct 15, 2014 Dee-Ann rated it liked it
Finally finished ... which is a sign. Maybe this book would have been better if I had read the first. I enjoyed the description of the people, the landscape but found writing too much focused on the author. The content was not equally spread in that there were gaps of knowledge (proabably due to not having read the first book) and other times things were repeated again and again.I loved the photos however ... they told stories in themsleves.
Studio
Apr 11, 2013 Studio rated it really liked it
A very moving pilgrimage, coming full circle and re-visiting all the places in Kenya where she lived through life-changing events. Hopefully it will be possible for her daughter to travel and visit her family too. Also, that the saga is not over yet, and that readers will get to live more adventures along with the enigmatic people who we have come to know. Thank you Corinne, and the team that made this epic journey possible.
Christine
Jan 08, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
Finally the glimmerings of some insight from the author about the real cultural differences that existed when she lived in Barsoloi and the impact her appearance had on the family of her husband. What a welcoming lot of people. Welcoming the first and second time.
What was incredibly disappointing was that her daughter didn't go to Kenyan to see her father or family. What a cop out not taking her. But aaahhh well... there's book 4!
Robin
Mar 02, 2009 Robin added it
Well, now I've finished the 3 books about Corinne and I must say I'm hooked - it's like a reality TV show - I'm sure she'll write another after she takes her daughter to meet her family. I can't wait for that one! I actually enjoyed the parts about meeting up with the film crew and her reaction to the actors palying the different parts. I'd like to see the film if I can ever find it.
Kelsey
Sep 08, 2012 Kelsey rated it liked it
This book is a follow up to "The White Masai". Again, the writing is not great, but Corinne is not a writer, just a woman telling her story as it happened. The book was worth the read to find out what happened after her story in "The White Masai" when she comes back to visit 14 years later. The reunion proves to be an uplifting and loving story.
Gill
Jun 05, 2014 Gill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed reading "The White Masai" you will find this 3rd book in the series interesting.
Pam
Jul 28, 2008 Pam rated it liked it
Not quite as gripping as her first book, this seems more like a travelogue and a report on the filming of the movie about her first book. The description of the Kibera slum in Nairobi that 700,000 people call home is appalling.
  • Zapiski oficera Armii Czerwonej
  • One Foot In Heaven, Journey of a Hospice Nurse
  • Remote People: A Report from Ethiopia & British Africa 1930-31
  • Lonely Planet on a Shoestring: Africa
  • Dom nad rozlewiskiem (Rozlewisko, #1)
  • Hon går genom tavlan, ut ur bilden
  • Asyl
  • In the Rose Garden of the Martyrs: A Memoir of Iran
  • Paddle to the Amazon: The Ultimate 12,000-Mile Canoe Adventure
  • Around the World in 80 Dates
  • The Graves Are Not Yet Full: Race, Tribe and Power in the Heart of Africa
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • Off to War: Voices of Soldiers' Children