Start by marking “The Heart of the Order” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Order

The Heart of the Order

Baseball s Most Valuable Writer, Thomas Boswell of The Washington Post, hits a grand slam with this classic collection of heartfelt and humorous pieces on our national s pastime. The lineup includes Heroes, Managing (Life), and The Flame of Fame, which capture some of the outstanding players in baseball, from DiMaggio, Weaver, and Ozzie Smith to Rose, Sutton, and Gooden; F ...more
Published March 1st 1990 by Penguin Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Order

Ted
May 14, 2015 Ted rated it it was amazing
Pick my favorite column? How? Jim Palmer's weeping farewell? The rejuvenated Sparking Anderson? Fred Lynn's refusal to play when not at his best? The lump-in-the throat tribute to Roger Maris? Brooks Robinson at Cooperstown? A. Bartlett Giamatti? Jim Abbott? Jeff Wickstrom? No, you pick!

This is a TOP TEN book in my baseball library.
Availability. Paperback, hardcover.
Type. PLAYERS/ERA
Use. READ/BROWSE; EH maybe

_explanation_

the reviewer whines …

How does one review a book of short stories? It alway
Tom Gase
Oct 03, 2010 Tom Gase rated it really liked it
It has been a very long time since I read a Thomas Boswell book, probably a good 20 years. I went to the SF library sale this past weekend, however, and decided to read this recently purchased book after watching Ken Burn's 10th inning. Boswell is featured in th Ken Burns documentary, along with the older baseball nine-part series from 18 years ago. And I learned from this book, that there is a reason why he was featured in both--he is a great baseball writer. This book, Heart of the Order, real ...more
Mighty_k24
Aug 01, 2013 Mighty_k24 rated it really liked it
In ‘t kort: Boswell is (of was) journalist en columnist voor The Washington Post en volgde vooral het baseball. Dit boek omvat een verzameling portretten en columns uit de jaren 1984-1988, en werd uitgebracht in 1989. We starten met heel wat portretten (sommige oppervlakkig, andere diepgravender), en kijken vervolgens terug op de Word Series (de finale van het baseball-kampioenschap) uit die jaren.

Mijn oordeel: ik kocht dit boek een hele tijd geleden, omdat Mart Smeets (alweer hij) er in één va
Tim Basuino
Nov 05, 2014 Tim Basuino rated it really liked it
I read and finished Boswell’s “Why Time Begins On Opening Day” the first three days at the beginning of September, an even 100 pages per day. While it was a quick read, I was slightly less than overwhelmed, which led me to giving a three star review.

“The Heart Of The Order” is much in the same vein, as various aspects of the great game of baseball are touched upon, with an understandable bias towards the Orioles. This effort focuses on the 1984-1988 seasons, and is highlighted by a passage entit
Spiros
Dec 18, 2014 Spiros rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to revisit '80's baseball
Shelves: bins, beisbol
Thomas Boswell is a very good baseball writer, almost on a par with Roger Angell; where Angell comes out ahead is in his lightness, in his never letting us forget that baseball, however important, is still just a game. Boswell can fall into stridency from time to time. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the game during its much ignored decade of the '80's, the waning of the Free Agent Era and the dawning of the Steroid Era. And I particularly liked his piece on A. Bartlett Giamatti.
Pete Iseppi
Feb 20, 2016 Pete Iseppi rated it it was amazing
Boswell ranks among the best of the baseball writers, and not just of this era. This volume of his work covers mainly the mid-eighties. If you're a fan of excellent baseball writing, you can't do much better than any of this man's books.
Kevin
Apr 01, 2016 Kevin rated it liked it
A collection of detailed baseball pieces written about the 60's, 70's, and 80's with a heavy emphasis on the Baltimore Orioles.
Ashley
May 21, 2007 Ashley rated it liked it
The only reason it doesn't get 4 is because it is by now way out of date, but my favorite piece of sportswriting might be "99 Reasons Why Baseball is Better Than Football"
Don Brown
Don Brown rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Larry
Larry rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2016
Meril
Meril rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2014
Jake
Jake rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Ted Posselius
Ted Posselius rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Michael Goldman
Michael Goldman rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2012
King Cotton
King Cotton rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2010
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Edward Lounello
Edward Lounello rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2015
Frank
Frank rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2013
Bob Brooks
Bob Brooks rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
TC
TC rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2009
Altonmann
Altonmann rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2007
Gary R.
Gary R. rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2009
Cayden
Cayden rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2011
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2012
Rob Knight
Rob Knight rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2013
Tr Robertson
Tr Robertson rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Mike Gabor
Mike Gabor rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012