Start by marking “The Heart of the Order” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Order

The Heart of the Order

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Boswell, longtime Washington Post sports columnist, has been called "the best all-around baseball writer in America" (San Diego Union). Hand-picked from his columns of the last five years, this funny, insightful, and moving collection of pieces proves that when it com es to baseball, Boswell is in a league by himself. (Penguin)
Published March 1st 1990 by Penguin Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Order

Ted
Pick my favorite column? How? Jim Palmer's weeping farewell? The rejuvenated Sparking Anderson? Fred Lynn's refusal to play when not at his best? The lump-in-the throat tribute to Roger Maris? Brooks Robinson at Cooperstown? A. Bartlett Giamatti? Jim Abbott? Jeff Wickstrom? No, you pick!

This is a TOP TEN book in my baseball library.
Availability. Paperback, hardcover.
Type. PLAYERS/ERA
Use. READ/BROWSE; EH maybe

_explanation_

the reviewer whines …

How does one review a book of short stories? It alway
Tim Basuino
I read and finished Boswell’s “Why Time Begins On Opening Day” the first three days at the beginning of September, an even 100 pages per day. While it was a quick read, I was slightly less than overwhelmed, which led me to giving a three star review.

“The Heart Of The Order” is much in the same vein, as various aspects of the great game of baseball are touched upon, with an understandable bias towards the Orioles. This effort focuses on the 1984-1988 seasons, and is highlighted by a passage entit
Tom Gase
It has been a very long time since I read a Thomas Boswell book, probably a good 20 years. I went to the SF library sale this past weekend, however, and decided to read this recently purchased book after watching Ken Burn's 10th inning. Boswell is featured in th Ken Burns documentary, along with the older baseball nine-part series from 18 years ago. And I learned from this book, that there is a reason why he was featured in both--he is a great baseball writer. This book, Heart of the Order, real ...more
Mighty_k24
In ‘t kort: Boswell is (of was) journalist en columnist voor The Washington Post en volgde vooral het baseball. Dit boek omvat een verzameling portretten en columns uit de jaren 1984-1988, en werd uitgebracht in 1989. We starten met heel wat portretten (sommige oppervlakkig, andere diepgravender), en kijken vervolgens terug op de Word Series (de finale van het baseball-kampioenschap) uit die jaren.

Mijn oordeel: ik kocht dit boek een hele tijd geleden, omdat Mart Smeets (alweer hij) er in één va
Spiros
Dec 18, 2014 Spiros rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to revisit '80's baseball
Shelves: beisbol, bins
Thomas Boswell is a very good baseball writer, almost on a par with Roger Angell; where Angell comes out ahead is in his lightness, in his never letting us forget that baseball, however important, is still just a game. Boswell can fall into stridency from time to time. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting the game during its much ignored decade of the '80's, the waning of the Free Agent Era and the dawning of the Steroid Era. And I particularly liked his piece on A. Bartlett Giamatti.
Ashley
The only reason it doesn't get 4 is because it is by now way out of date, but my favorite piece of sportswriting might be "99 Reasons Why Baseball is Better Than Football"
Ron Kaplan
Baseball columnists,baseball essays
Bob
Bob added it
Aug 03, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Brianna Ryan
Brianna Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Maureen Marthaler
Maureen Marthaler marked it as to-read
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Meredith Woolstenhulme
Meredith Woolstenhulme marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Alyson
Alyson marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Rich Post
Rich Post marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Lonnie
Lonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Steven Tomkins
Steven Tomkins marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Marc Balog
Marc Balog marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Why Time Begins on Opening Day How Life Imitates the World Series Cracking the Show Strokes of Genius Game Day: Sports Writings