Start by marking “The Human Country: New and Collected Stories” as Want to Read:
The Human Country: New and Collected Stories

The Human Country: New and Collected Stories

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Available For The First Time In One Volume, The Very Best Of Mathews's Short Fiction; This expertly designed original paperback presents a comprehensive collection of internationally renowned poet and novelist Harry Mathews' short prose. From the hilarious 'The Broadcast, ' in which the narrator learns from a radio program that everything he needs in life should fit into o ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Dalkey Archive Press

To ask other readers questions about The Human Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Human Country

MJ Nicholls
The other reviews here sum up my opinion on these stories—a few pearls mixed with opaque, impenetrable rocks written largely for Michael Silverblatt. ‘Country Cooking’ is a notable standout: a perfect spoof of haute cuisine recipes. ‘Clocking the World on Cue’ is an insanely clever piece of Oulipo showboating where each sentence clocks up the mathematical values of any roman numeral letters in sentences (i.e. m, x, i) so that each adds up to 2001. Mathews’s writing is extremely stylish and lingu ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Nov 16, 2008 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature, oulipo
I keep reading everything I can find by Mathews b/c I'm very interested in OuLiPo & Mathews is the only OuLiPo writer whose 1st language is English. The writing's interesting to me.. but it's never QUITE done it for me.. UNTIL NOW! I generally prefer massive novels to short stories, I like the development, the complexity, but in Mathews' case, I find him to be such a 'master' of short story form that I can't help but luv it!

This bk's divided into 3 sections: "First Stories", "The American E
Joe
Oct 26, 2008 Joe rated it liked it
Reading most of this book, stories from the only American member of Oulipo, is a little like trying to figure out riddles written in a language you've never seen before. Briefly, Oulipo is a French-founded international literary clique who work on writing based on verbal and numerical constraints. For example, Georges Perec's novel La Disparition (In English, "The Void")-- an entire novel written without the letter "e". Marcel Duchamps and Italo Calvino.

So, there are stories here, like "The Dia
Muzzy
Jul 19, 2015 Muzzy rated it it was ok
Din't judge Matthews based on this one collection. These shorts feel like exercises, warm-ups for the real work of the novel. Read "Cigarettes" first. Matthews' gift works best with longer books.
John
Jan 28, 2014 John rated it it was ok
I thought I was becoming kind of a Mathews fan but I couldn't get into this stuff.
Sara
Mar 05, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
There are not many writers who can write such beautiful skillful prose, and he is funny and effective in many of the stories, but in too many places the extreme intellectual structures poke through and ring hollow, and the cleverness of it all is sometimes just annoying.
Lisa
Aug 14, 2010 Lisa rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Country Cooking in Central France is pure genius. Genius. I want to say the rest is smart. There are some clever tropes, but there is no sense that the opacity will ever give way to meaning. Maybe some people are into that. I'm not.
Brent Hayward
Nov 08, 2011 Brent Hayward rated it liked it
Two or three wonderful stories that approach the heights of Mathew's great novels, but other stories that seem to be in-jokes or so opaque with cleverness that they are inpenetrable. A bit of a let down.
Peter Zuppardo
Jan 28, 2013 Peter Zuppardo rated it it was amazing
Haven't finished this yet, so I'm cheating. I seem to keep reading the same pieces over and over.
Brian
Jul 06, 2009 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
A bit of a disappointment.
Goatboy
Goatboy marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Emanuele Giammarco
Emanuele Giammarco marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
House
House added it
Feb 06, 2016
Jeremy Marsh
Jeremy Marsh marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2015
JM
JM rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Matthew Sciarappa
Matthew Sciarappa rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Justin Holinka
Justin Holinka marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Alec Miniero
Alec Miniero marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Gem Mahadeo
Gem Mahadeo rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Joe Robb
Joe Robb rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Andrew Ray
Andrew Ray rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
lou
lou marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Samuel Mullen
Samuel Mullen rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2014
David Layden
David Layden rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Skyylur
Skyylur marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Harry Mathews (born February 14, 1930) is an American author of various novels, volumes of poetry and short fiction, and essays.

Together with John Ashbery, James Schuyler, and Kenneth Koch, Mathews founded and edited the short-lived but influential literary journal Locus Solus (named after a novel by Raymond Roussel, one of Mathews's chief early influences) from 1961 to 1962.

Harry Mathews was the
More about Harry Mathews...