Answers from the Heart: Practical Responses to Life's Burning Questions

Answers from the Heart: Practical Responses to Life's Burning Questions

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For many people, one key question prevents them from taking the next step in their personal development, the development of their spiritual practice, or their journey toward self-knowledge. Answers from the Heart collects 50 of these important and heartfelt questions posed to Thich Nhat Hanh by his students and participants in his retreats, along with his often surprising...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Parallax Press (first published 2009)

Brae Howard
I always love what Hanh says about how to live. In this book and all of his books, he basically fleshes out this idea: Live mindfully and with compassion. Freeing, indeed.
Rubina
This is not a comprehensive summary of Buddhist philosophy, however, it's Q&A style allows for everyman's questions and concerns on topics such as sickness, death, family, parenting, relationships, handling stress and emotions, habits, being judgemental, to be addressed. Overall, i good read to get an insight how spiritual practice can be adopted into many aspects of our daily lives.
Ariel
Thich Nhat Hanh is a great guy himself. The dude is amazing. This book seemed put together overnight, though, and the questions weren't really answered too well. Kinda dodgy. Oh well, next time I'll read something straight-up.
Monique
I definately think there are better summaries of Buddhist philosophy. The language and context was a little too elementary for me, but I can appreicate the value of the everyman context.
JDK1962
Good Q&A on Buddhism and mindfulness. Some of the answers seem a bit tautological, but that's probably just their nature and I need to think (or not think) about it a bit more.
Chris
Lots of food for thought in this book. Hanh has much to teach his readers about living peacefully with others and experiencing inner peace.
Scott Cardwell
This book was a gift from a family member and was immediately useful in finding the right words to help a grieving friend.

This is one to dip in and out of during life's many curves. It has a permanent spot on my nightstand.
April Andrews
Another must have for Buddhists. Answers so many of the questions I had as a new Buddhist.
Allison
Very peaceful to read. Loved the Q and A format.
lindsay
Sep 19, 2012 lindsay added it
Shelves: buddhism
One to re-read!
Nathan
Nathan is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2014
Sonia
Sonia marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Nez
Nez is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Chance
Chance marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Aramis
Aramis marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Milley
Milley marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Joe May
Joe May marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Lava Khattri
Lava Khattri marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary...more
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life Living Buddha, Living Christ The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Being Peace The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation