Start by marking “Bones (Alex Delaware, #23)” as Want to Read:
Bones (Alex Delaware, #23)

Bones (Alex Delaware #23)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  6,269 ratings  ·  396 reviews
When it comes to writing deftly layered, tightly coiled novels of suspense, #1 New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Kellerman reigns supreme as “master of the psychological thriller” (People). Now, Kellerman has worked his magic again in this chilling new masterpiece.

Published February 24th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones

Julie
Meh. Honestly, the last three I've read have been fairly bland. Not that the murder mystery isn't salacious (it is) and nasty (ditto) but the characters have stalled out. Milo is Milo, Alex is Alex, Robin is an afterthought, we get a bit more of Dr. Rick but honestly, who cares? There's a new character, a rookie cop, named Moe. I found him the most interesting.

I'm tired of how all of Kellerman's killers are real sickos. (I know, I know -- aren't murderers, by definition, mentally unbalanced? Yes
Mary JL
May 26, 2013 Mary JL rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any adult mystery fan
Recommended to Mary JL by: Fan of author
Shelves: mystery-horror
I have read and enjoyed most of the "Alex Delaware" series. Alex and his good friend, Milo Sturgis, are like old friends to me. I like the interaction between the two; I like the many twists and turns in the plots and I like Kellerman's brand of psychological suspense.

The body of a young strangled woman is found in a nature preserve. Her right hand has been cut off. Joined by a rookie Detective---Moe Reed--Alex and Milo begin a search of the scene---and discovere three more corpses buried in the
Brenda
It seems like Jonathan Kellerman is getting more graphic, unnecessarily. I thought there was less psychology. I gave up the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell years ago for the same reason.
M.E.
My full review can be found on my blog: http://decemberjoy.wordpress.com/2012...

It is hard for me to buy books from authors I do not know or am unfamiliar with; mostly if the author was not recommended to me by someone I know and who would have an idea of what kind of books I like. However, sometimes I do take that chance and this was one of those times. Part of the reason was the price…this book was only $2 and if I really hated the book, well, at least I wouldn’t have to beat myself up about p
Kai Palchikoff
Nov 16, 2014 Kai Palchikoff added it
Shelves: fiction
When it comes to writing deftly layered, tightly coiled novels of suspense, #1 New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Kellerman reigns supreme as �_�_��master of the psychological thriller�_�_�� (People). Now, Kellerman has worked his magic again in this chilling new masterpiece.The anonymous caller has an ominous tone and an unnerving message about something �_�_��real dead . . . buried in your marsh.�_�_�� The eco-volunteer on the other end of the phone thinks it�_�_��s a prank, but when a ...more
Sahara
This is my first time reading a murder mystery book and this is also my firs Jonathan Kellerman book. If I were to base all murder mystery books by this one, then I wouldn't read another one. The crime and suspicion and small detective details are all fine, but the overall writing of this book is not good.

Maybe Kellerman's earlier books are better. I just don't like how I constantly forgot who was the narrator. Every time I read "I said, '(blah, blah, blah)'. Moe said, "(more blah, blah, blah)"
Deborah
It was slow going and a tad bit boring. I could not wait to finish it. I expected more excitement and more explanations in the story line.

This book was just ok for me. I understand his previous writings are much better which is good to know because after reading this one I might now have picked up another one of his books
Jackie W.
It was okay. I feel like I used to be more surprised by the endings of these books. Either I'm older so I'm able to see it coming or the last two haven't been as suspenseful as older ones. Still enjoyable though.
Hilary
3.5 but rounding up

This is the first book where I learned something about Alex's childhood. (Maybe it was covered in some of the middle books, but I quit reading the series for a while.) It felt like these tantalising morsels were dangling just in front of me, dropped there and then snatched away. Maybe it'll be explored more later.

The standard plot and techniques will be familiar to regular readers, as will unfortunately be the lack of psychology that's now common in the later books, but what's
Chris
This is more like a 2.5 I finished it but................

X5-494
Well... What can I say? A book like a friend. You know that you like the main characters and you know – more or less – what to expect.

In this particular case I have to agree – unfortunately – with many other readers and reviewers: This book just TAKES too long! I mean, it’s nice to have a new character (Moe Reed) and it’s nice to not get thrown in to the action right from the start (though, that’s hardly ever the case in Alex Delaware novels), but during the first 300 of 428 pages practically n
Laurel-Rain
When a body is discovered, via anonymous tip and openly displayed in a marsh near LA, the strangest thing about it is the missing right hand. Shortly thereafter, three other bodies are discovered – also missing hands.

Then a man who goes to auctions for the contents of storage units finds a carved box containing small bones. Polished bones, like a treasure. The bones turn out to be human
hands.

Detective Milo Sturgis and his sidekicks, along with Dr. Alex Delaware, the psychologist who frequently
Janne
I like all the Kellerman books - this one was good - I really liked the new detective and his brother - they added a much needed new dimension to the series.... I liked the series better when there was more personal interaction with Robin and home - Alex seems to never be home much anymore and since when is Robin OK with that?
This one had almost too much twisting in the plot to the point where I was nearly losing interest - I don't get to just sit down and read a book cover to cover - I need to
Brett
Bones is an interesting enough story, not overly fast moving, but with a well thought out plot. The pace picks up somewhat as we head towards the climax, but I would not describe it as a page turner.

The characters who we have come to know and love from previous adventures, Milo and Alex Delaware, seem strangely anonymous this time round. Milo is there, but you get no real feel for his character, and, whilst some of the story is told by Alex in the first person, his involvement is rather limited
Judith
I read the Alex Delaware-Milo Sturgis novels from time to time. At times Delaware’s personal life is as much of the story as is the mystery. Other times it takes a decided back seat. This one is of the latter type. We get to check in with Robin, Delaware’s gf, from time to time, but it’s peripheral. The emphasis is on Alex’s involvement in a multiple-murder case.

The case starts with an anonymous phone call saying there is a body in the marsh. Eventually that body is found and dogs find addition
Sherrie
"Bones" by Johnathan Kellerman
Product Description(From Amazon.com)
The anonymous caller has an ominous tone and an unnerving message about something “real dead . . . buried in your marsh.” The eco-volunteer on the other end of the phone thinks it’s a prank, but when a young woman’s body turns up in L.A.’s Bird Marsh preserve no one’s laughing. And when the bones of more victims surface, homicide detective Milo Sturgis realizes the city’s under siege to an insidious killer. Milo’s first move: call
Sandie
A teen doing community service at the marsh gets the call. The caller says there is a body in the marsh, and indeed there is. Selena Bass, a local musician, whose main gig these days is teaching a genius child of a multi-millionaire. Milo gets the call and goes to the scene, but calls in his friend, psychologist Alex Delaware.

By the next day, things have gotten worse. Not only is Selena's body in the marsh, but so are the bodies of three other women. All killed the same way, all buried facing t
Elizabeth
On a recent roadtrip, my mom asked me to run into a bookstore and pick up a book on tape. A good thriller, she said. I scanned the picked over shelf, and my eyes settled on BONES, with the promising banner across the top - #1 New York Times Bestselling Author. This should do it, I thought, scooping it up and scurrying back to the car.

What a mistake. If I could rate a book with negative stars I would. This was awful from it's discouraging start to it's banal, unimaginative end. Worst part is my
Lain
Another classic Alex Delaware whodunnit. I am tempted to give this four stars, just because of his consistency, but I have to admit that this one just wasn't up to his usual standards.

Alex has moved from consultant to full-on police detective, in function if not in title. He abandons all pretense of tag-along in this book, going off on his own tangents in the investigation of bodies found in a wildlife preserve.

Pluses: deft interweaving of characters and plot, with twists and turns that are jus
Jim Thornton
Bought about three years ago from an airport stall.... still not read... does that say too much about my expectations?

Well.... that took a bit longer than I thought, mainly because there was nothing whatsoever in this book that shouted at you to keep reading, or to pick it up again.

Basic Plot? Mundane, poorly explored, largely unexploited as there was some real interest there at the beginning.

Characters? Flat, boring and uninteresting

Development of story? None - no plot twists or interest. The g
Sooz
i don't tend to read crime novels .... but a rainy day, on my own, at a cottage in the middle of nowhere and i'm going to read what happens to be around once i have finished the book i brought with me.

i gather Kellerman is a well-regarded author of the genre. really? this particular book was kind of bland and followed a terribly over-used formula in which the detectives are totally focused on the wrong guy. i get it .... it's a method to build suspense and to give the 'good guys' something to do
Quinn
I love Jonathan Kellerman mysteries. They are always suspenseful, make the familiar characters come alive and move along the story, and keep you flipping pages. Maybe it was just the time and way I read the book, but this one seemed to have more characters that aren't easily rememebered, or too many characters I couldn't keep apart. I'm willing to say it was not the book, it was me, but it was not as memorable, and not as wonderful a mystery tour.
Traci Haley
I recently read Faye Kellerman's (Jonathan Kellerman's wife) newest book. I think this is partly why I am rating JK's book so highly -- it's not that his books are phenomenally new or different... it's the same old story: Alex Delaware helps solve a case. It's the differences between FK and JK's writing style. FK is strictly procedural, hardly any character development these days. JK is still all about his characters, even when he's concentrating on the story. I love submerging myself into Alex' ...more
Lisa
It has been a while since I have listened to any of the Alex Delaware books and now I think I remember why. I didn't find this book all that interesting and felt both main characters (Alex and Milo)just very dry and dull this time. The story line was ok, but felt that they got fixated on one suspect (which cops aren't supposed to do) and I find the conversations of speculating of what happened over and over gets a little old. Just felt it wasn't one of the best books in the series.
Jill
I used to love love love< /b> Jonathan Kellerman Alex Deleware Books. They were interesting and well written and kept you guessing from page to page. Not to mention that the character development (or lack thereof) that made the characters seem like they were real.

Unfortunately, the last five or so books in the series have been lacking the special something that had me so enthralled in the past. They're still good, mind you, their just not what they once were. This particular book was a pe
Kay Sachse
Well, definitely a detective story written by a pro. And maybe that´s the reason why I couldn´t be thrilled by it. It was just another episode of a long-running show that has lost its A-status.
A young piano teacher gets killed and in the course of events it shows that three other women were buried at the same spot as she were, all of them missing the right hand. This appears to be plan of a broader context and on the course of revealing the dark mysteries of a killer, the reader meets far too m
Cameron Wiggins
This was my first delving into the Alex Delaware books of Jonathan Kellerman. I must admit that I really liked it quite a bit. I will definitely be reading more of the series. It was interesting, though, as it was like having a story told to you as if you were along for the ride, or something. It is kind of hard to explain.
Anyway, for those of you who are not familiar, Alex Delaware is a psychologist who works with the LAPD. This book centers around a marsh that is preserved, holy, envirnomental
Moniqua Sexton
Very riveting. This book was a page turner. Had I not been busy the past few days, I'm sure I would've finished it a lot sooner. Jonathan Kellerman is brilliant, putting him at my second favorite author. His books are always a joy to read. I love a good suspense novel and I love the Alex Delaware series.
Aaron Widera
#Whatever of My Trashy Summer (which has somehow spilled into the fall) Reading List.

This really only deserves 3.5 stars, but anyway--my haiku review:

A real page turner.
But I don't like the title.
How about THE MARSH?
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
This was a pretty good Alex Delaware novel. Alex's participation in the investigation wasn't as far-fetched as in some stories. The police did seem to have tunnel vision regarding one character, but in the end, of course, justice was served.
Bones 3 19 Jun 03, 2014 05:47PM
  • The Burnt House (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #16)
  • Trouble
  • Killer View (Walt Fleming, #2)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)