Start by marking “Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (Ender's Saga, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Ender's Game and Speak...

Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet #1-2)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  1,165 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Book Club 2-in-1 edition containing Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead.
Published (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead

Gerald Vance
Feb 04, 2008 Gerald Vance rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Gerald by: Jared White
My friend Jared recommended the Ender’s Series to me and I am very grateful. I bought this version which has both Ender’s Game and Speaker for the dead and read it straight through. I fell in love with the characters quickly and the settings became real places. Card does a wonderful job of creating a vastness that seems reachable not only within space but time as well. I am very much looking forward to reading the rest in the series.
Brian
One book - two novels.

The first is the Sci-fi seminal work Ender's Game. I read this novel many years ago and loved the Battle School scenes, in fact I loved this entire book, the characters, the plot, virtually everything about it. Rereading it again, the story shows it's age a bit, the ending which seemed cool to me as a kid, seems forced now, a bit unrealistic that the battles were actually real and not a game and not noticed doesn't seem possible. And, the relationships between siblings seem...more
Amy
truly awesome sci-fi. Perhaps the best there ever was.
Samuel
Quite an interesting role model.
Candy Wood
So this is actually two books, Ender's Game (1984) and Speaker for the Dead (1986), and the second takes place 3000 years after and many light-years away from the first. Game is the coming-of-age story of Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, a third child in a society that only allows two per family. Sent away to school at age six, he has both a talent for killing and an aversion to causing anyone pain, a combination suited to computer games but not when they become real. He is still grappling with the combin...more
SeriouslyJerome
This is two books in one: Ender's Game, & the sequel, Speaker for the Dead. Having already read & reviewed Ender's Game, this review is for, Speaker for the Dead.

Murder mystery in space! That's my over simplified summary of this story. Or rather, a murder mystery set on distant planet, being colonized by humans, but also inhabited by native creatures & possibly other aliens... And since I love a good murder mystery, this was pretty enjoyable, even with some formulaic mystery elements...more
Mark Dickson
I read the original story version of "Ender's Game" many years ago. This is my first time reading the novel version in this omnibus volume comprising both "Ender's Game" and the sequal, "Speaker of the Dead."

I wanted to read this before the movie comes out this fall. Unfortunately, not knowing, nor having been a precocious child, I did not take to this cast of gifted children. I had the same problem with Scout from "To Kill a Mockingbird." The children just weren't belivable.

I've known AP kids f...more
Diana
This book was on a list of banned science fiction books. I had never read any of Orson Scott Card (probably a deficit in my education!) and I am such a rebel that I wanted to read a banned sci-fi book. So I picked this one as a place to begin.

It is a very good book and probably was banned because the book was all about young children who fought the war. The story is well-told and is a page-turner. It is in the genre of a future dystopia (even found it on a Wikipedia list: (http://en.wikipedia.or...more
Chris Gager
I just finished this; the first two Ender installments. The first book's pretty good but the second one has "issues". See the individual reviews for more...
Joe Szilvagyi
This is the book that catapulted OSC's career into orbit. Please don't use the movie as an indication of what this book is about. There is so much internal conflict in the book that I'm surprised they even attempted to translate it to the big screen.

There is a reason this book makes it on to so many lists of fiction books to read. This reason is the characters. They are written so you actually care about what happens to them and can't wait to see how each hurdle is overcome.
♥Xeni♥
I love Ender's Game a lot! I've read it at least 15 times, and intend to keep re-reading it in the future! And, the scifi didn't bother me in this book at all.

No such luck with the sequel... all of a sudden I realized how scifi the series was and how the focus was off the space cadets and their heroic quest to save their world.

Not bad, but also not the most exciting fun I've had either. After this I feel that it just went a tad downhill... and then more so with subsequent novels!
Joe
One the best books that I've read in quite some time. I can't believe that it took me so long to find it! From everyone that I've spoken to about it (even my wife) they remember reading it in high school or at some other point in their lives when they were younger. I just happened to find the title in some random comment section.
I would highly reccomend this book to anyone. It's written in a very pleasant and flowing style and will make you think. I may just read it again.
Matt Watt
Ender's Game was a great book for a nerdy middle school/High School boy to read. However, Speaker of the Dead, which is also combined in this edition, will seriously alter your perception of Ender's Game. As an adult the impact of Ender's Game was not the same, as most of the story revolves around Ender dealing with the social problems of his age and emotional maturity, and the adults that surround him.
Kim
Wasn't sure if I would really like a sci-fi/fantasy book but really enjoyed it and am currently starting the next in the series- "Speaker of the Dead". Orson Scott Card is a very talented writer and I was drawn in pretty quick. I definitely recommend this book, especially if you don't usually read these types of books-its a good "starter".
Stephanie
I've heard hype about this book for years and years and years. I've had a pretty good idea of what it was all about by the time I got to it. I wasn't surprised by anything (by now, anyone who's a part of the sci-fi world knows the story) but it was still a really enjoyable book.
Michael SaharaFrog
I only read the "Ender's Game" portion of this book. I've read "Speaker for the Dead" and it is good, but the first book is, in my opinion, the best. I'm also the guy who only reads the Felix parts of "Armor" (I did read the whole book the first time).
Megan
I couldn't put it down - I'm very much looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I don't know how deep the books really are when you get right down to it, but they have a really great mix of biology, anthropology, philosophy, and theology.
Lindsey
Just as good as Ender's Game. I didn't know if it would be possible to have a hero as likeable as Ender, but Bean is just as wonderful. It was awesome seeing the other side of things.
John W
This book contained Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead. Both were okay but I wasn't blown away by them as I expected to be based on all the hype I've read over the years.
njs
Gr. 6-Adult. Fascinating bildungsroman story. Highly recommended for lovers of sci fi and adventure. But who hasn't read it and the series!
Cheryl Lange
I'm not usually into science fiction but this was really good and there is supposed to be a movie eventually. I couldn't put it down!
Jack
Enders War is definetly the best of the series. Watching Ender grow up and the final twist to the story was awesome.
Sue
This book contains both Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. I love Ender's Game, not so much Speaker.
Daniel
I avoided Ender's Saga for years and now I cannot remember why. I will read the rest of them.
Chris
outstanding. great scifi in the ender universe, exciting and heartwearming at the same time
Bari
what can i say? havent read this in a few years, but probably still one of my favorites
Jim
Excellent...sorry I didn't discover this years ago
Robin Mcneely
Not this compilation but the two individuals.
Thad Pinakiewicz

First book of the two is much better.
  • Burning Tower
  • Ender's Game, Volume 2: Command School
  • Spider-Man: The Venom Factor
  • The Search for Fierra (Empyrion, #1)
  • The Stars at War II (Starfire, #1,4)
  • Buying Time
  • OX (Of Man and Manta, #3)
  • The Prince (Falkenberg's Legion, #1-4)
  • Privateers (Privateers, #1)
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • Uller Uprising
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • The Metaphysics of Star Trek
  • The Hitchhiker's Trilogy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1-3)
  • Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • The Dancer From Atlantis
  • Burning Bright
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th...more
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)