Start by marking “The Hitchhiker's Trilogy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Hitchhiker's Trilogy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1-3)

The Hitchhiker's Trilogy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-3)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,269 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Published October 9th 1985 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about The Hitchhiker's Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hitchhiker's Trilogy

Adam
Oct 25, 2008 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans, Brittons, Robots, People learning to fly
Shelves: fiction
Hmmm. . .I'm not entirely sure why I have heard so much about this book throughout the years. The Hitchhiker's Guide itself (the first of three books contained within this Omni Edition) was rather uneventful and ended quite abruptly.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe was a tad more interesting though equally disappointing. The third and final book, Life, the Universe and Everything is all but!

As far as science fiction goes, this borders on what I dislike; a conglomeration or innane words
Travissimo
Nov 01, 2012 Travissimo rated it really liked it
I can't leave this off my list. It's like coffee. I don't know why, but I compare it to coffee. It's always the same. Simple, but Complicated. Everyone loves it for a reason. Stands alone in the beverage world. Maybe it compares to tea, which would be Kurt Vonnegut. Sort of ironic considering Adams is the Brit. I'm done here. I make no sense.
Travis
Jan 13, 2014 Travis rated it it was ok
I should not have tried to read the entire trilogy. It was amusing at times but just became a bit too much. It was random and unfocused at times. I am happy to be moving on.
Barbara
Mar 27, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Delightful. I love Douglas Adams.
Jeffrey Dill
Feb 25, 2017 Jeffrey Dill rated it it was amazing
No doubt about it, this is one of the best trilogies ever written. A must-read for fans of science fiction, satire, British humor, or just good fiction as a whole.
Jarrodtrainque
HYSTERICAL!/ --The Philadelphia Inquirer/ The unhappy inhabitants of planet Krikkit are sick of looking at the night sky above their heads--so they plan to destroy it. The universe, that is. Now only five individuals stand between the white killer robots of Krikkit and their goal of total annihilation./ They are Arthur Dent, a mild-mannered space and time traveler, who tries to learn how to fly by throwing himself at the ground and missing; Ford Prefect, his best friend, who decides to go insane ...more
Emily
Feb 03, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
i dont think i really liked this series a whole lot, but i got most of the irony and sarcastic himor. the first one was the best, but after the second...i didnt even bother reading 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish' because i got bored with the series.
Saifuddin Merchant
Nov 17, 2012 Saifuddin Merchant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
This was one of the best books I ever read recommend to everyone. The book never gets boring, always surprising you with something. Douglas Adams also has a knack for inventing some great terms and funny phases that will stay with you for a long time!
Vanya Grivova
Apr 09, 2016 Vanya Grivova rated it liked it
Hey, we went to this planet in that galaxy to have some thing talk to us for some really strange things that should make you go like WOW and you should laugh a lot, too!
Heather Dalgarno
Jun 01, 2012 Heather Dalgarno rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
What could I possibly say about the Hitch-hikers guide that hasn't been said before? These books are absolute genius, from the unique mind of Douglas Adams, and I defy anyone not to be rolling about the floor laughing within minutes of picking up one of these.
Steven
Nov 02, 2013 Steven rated it really liked it
"The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline."
Anna
Aug 17, 2008 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read, but I'm not real sure what all the fuss is about. The later books in the "trilogy" seemed a little unnecessary to me and there were sections of most of the books that just seemed to drag on. Overall, they were very enjoyable books.
Kevin Hull
Jul 28, 2015 Kevin Hull rated it it was ok
I can't understand what all the fuss is about when it comes to these books. For me they never rise above mildly amusing and are often howlingly bad.
Ashley
Apr 13, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
42. What more is there to say? Humor and the ever unexpected, a series that never gets old.
Becko
Jun 03, 2013 Becko rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I understand why this is a classic and now that I have read the book am willing to see the movie.
Sheri
Jan 26, 2013 Sheri rated it it was ok
This review biased as I am not a fan of British humor. This book came highly recommended and I gave it a try but it's just not funny to me. I'm sure others will love it!
Michael
Jul 18, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
If you've ever wondered if humor and sci-fi can go together, wonder no more. A fascinating sci-fi journey that will leave you in stitches with every ironic page. One of the great classics!
Austin Wright
Jul 29, 2015 Austin Wright rated it it was ok
SPOILER ALERT: Douglas Adams dies before writing anything funny.
Squire
Jan 18, 2013 Squire rated it really liked it
When it was actually a trilogy! 1st ptint.
Jenn
Dec 14, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1001-books
Up there with J K Rowling for sheer inventiveness
Mandy Weaver
Jan 29, 2013 Mandy Weaver rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the movie based on the first book more than the trilogy.
Devin
Nov 02, 2012 Devin rated it really liked it
I haven't read these since I was a teenager. I'm afraid these books actually kind of suck, so I've chosen to not re-read them. I'd rather they remain awesome in my memory.
Kimberley
Oct 17, 2008 Kimberley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like all five books in this trilogy, except for the last one. I was unimpressed with that one. But recommended for all that anyway.
Mith
Feb 08, 2013 Mith marked it as someday-maybe
Bought this book because I like to pretend the last two three books in this series, don't exist.
Kristine Ulrich
Mar 21, 2015 Kristine Ulrich rated it liked it
The first was great the second was pretty good and the third was just okay.
Matthew Stanton
Jun 06, 2012 Matthew Stanton rated it it was amazing
I read this series once a year, it actually restores my faith in humanity. Adams was a satirical genius and yeah
Lena Vanausdle
Apr 22, 2012 Lena Vanausdle rated it it was amazing
Don't Panic
Dimkin
Jan 03, 2016 Dimkin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Всеобщий восторг немного странен для меня :(
Brad Kopp
Aug 22, 2012 Brad Kopp rated it it was amazing
awesome book
Chris
May 28, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Hilarious
  • Cirque Du Freak Boxed Set #1 (Cirque Du Freak, #1-4)
  • The Robot Novels: The Caves of Steel / The Naked Sun / The Robots of Dawn (Robot #1-3)
  • The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2)
  • Archie 1000 Page Comics Digest
  • Plague of Knives (Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer, #4)
  • Freedom Road
  • Name Above All Names
  • Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • Archie Americana Series: Best of the Forties, Vol. 1
  • The Final Nightmare (Robotech, Second Generation, #9)
  • Canopus in Argos: Archives
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was co ...more
More about Douglas Adams...

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (6 books)
  • Young Zaphod Plays It Safe
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
  • Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #5)